Set hostile / PvP

*[<3]

Posted by *[<3] »

Yup, I am totally aware that the Dabus (or the Lady) herself will come down on a character like there's no tomorrow, but could we please, pretty please, be allowed to set other characters to hostile, even in Sigil proper ?

*Sinlinara

Posted by *Sinlinara »

Nearly every area in Sigil has Full PvP enabled, just not the Bazaar. It is actually one of the very very few areas on the server where PvP is disabled for very old reasons that more seasoned DMs can go into more detail about.

Please also keep in mind that even though PvP is enabled, all PvP on the server requires the consent of all parties involved and failure to acquire it may be met with punitive measures.
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

Great Bazaar area originally was a Full PvP area like every other. Just OOC room has always been a no-PvP area. The reason was mostly that there started to stack too many PvP issues in the, by design, "meeting area". If you want to go for RP, you know that the most common place people meet at is the Great Bazaar. That lead to issue where people would not avert conflict by leaving (since where'd they go?), they'd stay and conflict would ensue, which lead to more conflict of OOC kind, and after enough many of such headaches. Some of which were very toxic, we decided to just disable it in the Great Bazaar area.

Naturally it's no perfect solution, but for all things PvP/Conflict, there never is. It's too nuanced to have a simple answer to, but it has at least removed the most toxic aspects and forced people who cannot tolerate someone to leave the area if they wish to part ways, since no longer can they just "kill the problem" so to speak.

*edit addition* Also by all means you are still naturally allowed to roleplay any form of conflict, just the mechanical portion of it has been disabled in the Great Bazaar.
*[<3]

Posted by *[<3] »

Thanks for you detailed answers guys, makes all sense of course.

Guess I was just on the short end of a scene of extremely bad roleplay there. But sadly there's no way around that.
Next time I'll simply ignore the character / player in question and move on / away.
*Guido

Posted by *Guido »

Years ago I sat in the bazaar on my first character, no idea who it was. Before I'd even met someone I was blasted to eternity. Sent the dm channel a message about how it was unfair. They said it was too.
I didn't play for months because of it. Didn't play because I never interacted with the community, didn't know anyone.
Logged in, learned rules. Months passed. One day someone logs in, a gnome. They are very asinine. Hurl insults, bait my pc. Want to attack, should be able, but can't because bazaar rules. They log out.

Things happen. If this happened again I'd report it. Sigil is a pretty high class server. If only I knew now what I did not know then.