World Portals

*Mabus

Posted by *Mabus »

Was just curious... I came from CoPaP (Confederation of Planes and Planets) which is a collection of player worlds,planes, etc. all connected via portals. has there been any thought of joining with other NWN2 PW planes (when/if they're made) and creating a larger multiverse?

Assuming this is all possible on NWN2 as well...
*cdnspr

Posted by *cdnspr »

Not that I have any say, but it could create a problem for the staff, assuming they want to control the power/availability of items in-game, etc. But I guess that could be overcome, should the heads of both worlds sit down and work it out.

I'd think it'd definitely draw more players, though.
*pelhikano

Posted by *pelhikano »

I'm not sure how exactly this works, but for now we want to make our own world as complete as possible. If you could transfer chars with this between worlds with wildly different allowable item stats and such, not to mention that not all worlds will have the same appearance haks installed, it sounds like a recipe for disaster and lots of bugginess. We also have some custom races and such after all. So personally I doubt we can participate in this sort of thing any time soon.
*kaosnafe

Posted by *kaosnafe »

CoPaP was a great system in NWN1 and I have to admit that since joining Sigil I also wandered if there where plans for a potential CoPaP style world connection as Sigil would make the ideal hub.

From what I know of CoPaP they created a hub and directed the haks and overrides to be used and then new world builders could use their systems and link the worlds together and all worlds would work together with updates ect, it essentially became a multi server gameworld run by different dev teams and DMÂ’s yet all working together to keep things aligned, not sure how the far this idea could even be utilized with NWN2 though, from what I know NWN1 was a much simpler development tool.

If you were going to try this sort of thing then probably the easiest way is to advertise for new world builders to join up, direct them with haks and code etc to use and when they are ready to run create a portal in each world the same as we currently have in Sigil. Existing worlds joining such a coop would need to do some major overhauls to their existing worlds and bring into alignment with Sigil and not sure their dev teams would be so willing unless it targeted the smaller player base RP gameworlds.
*cryptc

Posted by *cryptc »

I'm open for the idea, but like pelhikano says, its most likely more trouble than its worth.

We are however supportive of players who bring characters and backstories with them, from different pw's, and also the other way around (make sure to mention your trip to Sigil ;)).

If servers pop up that wants to have such a cooperation with us we'll consider it atleast.

Also, some DM's might host off-pw adventures with custom modules for players in the future too... and reward players back on the pw after its done.
*Mabus

Posted by *Mabus »

kaosnafe,Aug 26 2009 wrote: CoPaP was a great system in NWN1 and I have to admit that since joining Sigil I also wandered if there where plans for a potential CoPaP style world connection as Sigil would make the ideal hub.

From what I know of CoPaP they created a hub and directed the haks and overrides to be used and then new world builders could use their systems and link the worlds together and all worlds would work together with updates ect, it essentially became a multi server gameworld run by different dev teams and DMÂ’s yet all working together to keep things aligned, not sure how the far this idea could even be utilized with NWN2 though, from what I know NWN1 was a much simpler development tool.

If you were going to try this sort of thing then probably the easiest way is to advertise for new world builders to join up, direct them with haks and code etc to use and when they are ready to run create a portal in each world the same as we currently have in Sigil. Existing worlds joining such a coop would need to do some major overhauls to their existing worlds and bring into alignment with Sigil and not sure their dev teams would be so willing unless it targeted the smaller player base RP gameworlds.
They have a set of guidelines which other interested worlds need to follow, or set their world to, to join with CoPaP and keep everything running as smoothly as possible. They're called The Articles of Confederation.

They've done an awesome job and it all actually runs great. Each world has their own team, DMs, and world laws, although all the worlds as a whole follow certain guidelines (aka. The Articles of Confederation) so they can all be compatible. Their main world, a prime material world called Avlis, actually has a NWN2 version.

You can take a look at exactly how they manage it all here to get an idea of how it can be done...
http://www.copap.org/portal.php?getpage=about

Allowing multiple worlds to link together allows for a huge multiverse beyond any one server can handle. It's just something to ponder your brainbox over. :blink: