So many enchantment questions

*Farmboy2003

Posted by *Farmboy2003 »

Heya. Sorry if this has been posted before or is in a wrong forum.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the new(er) enchantment system and I've got some questions:

1: Some stuff has 12 enchantment slots - which ones are these? do I know if my items has it? Is it material relevant? Is it only PC-made gear that can have it?

2:What about existing enchantments on an item that doesn't feature in the enchantment system? I have a Mithril chainmail with a +1 universal saves. Does it take up the same as a +1 fort save or such? Does a helmet of blindfight loose an enchantment slot due to it's a feat? I have a helmet with lingering song that I'd like to use fx.

3: And how many slots does a feat even take up? It doesnt state on the wiki. Is there a max on feats on an item?

4: How many slots does bonus spell enchantments take up? A slot per level of spell? If I want to add a lvl 6 bonus spell I would need to enchant an item 6 times?

I hope this is it. for now. Thanks in advance for helping this addle-cove.
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

1) Material relevant. Generally PC-crafted, but with the exception of the randomly generated (steel blue names) that can also have it. Also for weapons the base is 8 and maximum 10. For everything else base is 10 and maximum 12.

2) There's designated point cost for a lot of different enchantments, and then there's default cost for unspecified enchantments. So magical properties that are beneficial will either cost default of 2, or what is in the enchanting list (some exceptions exist such as higher values of existing enchantments).

3) Refer to #2.

4) 1-4 points cost. And if you want to add 6th level bonus spell slot, you'll add 6th level bonus spell slot once. It's a separate option. Enchanting 1st level spell slot 6 times (though impossible since you already have it) would overwrite existing spell slot each time (if it was possible at all).
*Farmboy2003

Posted by *Farmboy2003 »

Thanks for the reply!

1 ) follow-up: So you say that EVERY material will give 2 extra enchantment points? Not a specific material? So in the long run it will be better to have a belt custom crafted, then add +5 STR to it, instead of enchanting a standard Belt of fire Giant strenght? Essentially bard-buffing the crafting skill for a simple leather belt will do?

So the extra enchantment  slots is mainly linked to anything made by a PC really?

And, Steel Blue OR Steel Blue names?

My aforementioned Mithral Chainmail: How can I check if it's PC made? Can an enchanter help me out of the dark?
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

Special materials. If it's in standard game, it doesn't grant extra points. And in the long run custom crafting and enchanting might be better. But not all things are enchantable, so that's a careful balance you'll have to think for yourself.

If it's a mithral armor, it's not made by a PC.
*Farmboy2003

Posted by *Farmboy2003 »

Concerning bonus spell cost you mention 1-4 enchantment slots. How does that even out? Where does it break from 2 to 3 slots fx?

I found a weapon that has +5 vampiric regen. The enchantment only goes to +2 - So I assume +5 regen only counts for 2 enchantment slots here?

What about maluses on weapons? ie "only useable by good" "-3 saves vs fire" - How do they figure in?
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

1-4 enchantment points, to be specific. And I can't remember, enchanters can easily view it via enchanting screen.

+5 regen is illegal item that'll get you stuck to OOC room. So how many points it takes is kind of moot. Vampiric regen isn't, to be clear.

Negative properties don't count in at all.
*Farmboy2003

Posted by *Farmboy2003 »

But this is a +5 vampiric regen item - it won't stick me in the OOC room - So the amount of enchantment points it takes up are still 2 then?