Do you want Guns?

*KnightWilliams

Posted by *KnightWilliams »

I think a neat example of guns in a fantasy setting is Pillars of Eternity. Yes, high damage, and it fucks up mages if done right, but most folks use bows or crossbows in-setting because they're faster and can punch through armor just as much. They use the same kind of firearms that are being proposed here, and technologically are far less advanced than, say. Mechanus.

I don't think it would shift the core of the setting, because as was stated, they *do* already exist. I get being worried about balance, but if it can be implemented in a way that OoG makes sense, there's no reason not to do it.
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

I'm not into guns in my fantasy. But I don't feel about it strongly, so may the most votes win!
*TheShadowWithen

Posted by *TheShadowWithen »

Quite strongly against it myself, I for one cant stand guns added into my Fantasy
*Tomekk

Posted by *Tomekk »

edmaster44 wrote:It's also in a few Source books if you bother reading the references, and the spell sending is also a thing since 2e.
"Sure, this is a weird place, but it ainÂ’t science-fiction. DonÂ’t stick in stuff that isnÂ’t medieval in flavor. ItÂ’s pretty obvious that space-ports wouldnÂ’t belong, but a DMÂ’s got to resist the urge for things like blasters as neat weapons, magical devices that feel a lot like computer networks, intra-city teleportation chambers, and crystal ball phone systems." - Planescape Campaign Setting

Sending is fine between spellcasters, as its a spell that has a failure chance. But once you start handing out sending stones as an excuse to have global communications in character/use private messages as IC, the tone is ruined.
*MimiFearthegn

Posted by *MimiFearthegn »

Wow, we're still neck and neck :D
*Bleuception

Posted by *Bleuception »

Quick addendum; Sending Stones are magical items, therefore far out from the prices most people can afford. Basically, there is no risk that they would become sort of like telephones as each set of these stones can only communicate between the set created together, not to mention that the price represents a heavy coin investment for most.

Now back on topic; The above quote from the Planescape Campaign Setting, if accurate (I don't have the book myself, sadly) specifically mentions things of a sci-fi nature. Obviously, laser guns/blasters are not what is discussed here, but rather flintlocks, not unlike what the Giff use.

Which, by the way, are described as sometimes malfunctioning and so on just like flintlocks would, but the Giff just happens to be military-minded and willing to take the risk, not to mention that being hippopotamus-like must give them a good physical resilience.

So no, don't worry. I don't think anybody here wants to turn Planescape into an episode of Star Trek, a Star Wars thing, or any other Sci-Fi title you could think of.

Although I'm not opposed to a spellcaster who would be using a frame with a handle to slip a wand into to resemble a sort of... Wand-gun, which would be silly but with all the finger-waggling I would imagine spellcasters do seek new ways to make their implements more comfortable to wield. Just a thought, however.
*edmaster44

Posted by *edmaster44 »

Tomekk wrote:
edmaster44 wrote:It's also in a few Source books if you bother reading the references, and the spell sending is also a thing since 2e.
"Sure, this is a weird place, but it ainÂ’t science-fiction. DonÂ’t stick in stuff that isnÂ’t medieval in flavor. ItÂ’s pretty obvious that space-ports wouldnÂ’t belong, but a DMÂ’s got to resist the urge for things like blasters as neat weapons, magical devices that feel a lot like computer networks, intra-city teleportation chambers, and crystal ball phone systems." - Planescape Campaign Setting

Sending is fine between spellcasters, as its a spell that has a failure chance. But once you start handing out sending stones as an excuse to have global communications in character/use private messages as IC, the tone is ruined.
We can argue this till we're all Betty blue, but it will not get us no where. The point i was trying too make is Magic is quite heavy in DnD and in Planescape, i don't see us straying into the realm of Science Fiction since magic will always be vastly superior than any technological do hickey or devices a person might want too try, Besides if we do add Global Communications, we'll have too start charging an arm and a leg for the privilege of using such a unlikely
service, hell we can even call them AT&T Operated by the Fated, meaning only the very rich can afford :D
*Bloodlines

Posted by *Bloodlines »

That's a very adequate point Bleuception makes. PCs within Sigil are the one percentile of the city's population. So what may seem commonplace for a planar-traveling adventurer is not something you would see afforded by the salary of say a baker or your average level one sellsword NPC. Whether guns are allowed or not on the module, they'd still be rare to the vast majority.
*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

Someone said space ports? Look no further then the Astral plane.
*Mick64

Posted by *Mick64 »

I just want to point out that Giff are not a very good example. They are a Spelljammer race, not a Planescape race. And Spelljammer is explicitly "Sci-fi D&D". While Spelljammer exists in Planescape, it has a very different tone and themes.