Time to leave

*Dr_Shadelore

Posted by *Dr_Shadelore »

I've been on Sigil for many years now (Had a slight hiatus due to family) But, after being back on the server now for awhile I fear my time here has truly come to an end after noticing significant attitude changes on the server. There was a time when the DM team enjoyed helping players develop their stories, no matter who the player was but certain members of the team appear to have a circle of friends and an expectation to how a character should act when regarding events.

Recently, for RP'ing an Indep, I was reprimanded and, due to that, I feel there is no place for someone who wishes to develop a long-time character's story on this server. I've enjoyed many years here and have had some of my best gaming experiences but the general catering to close friends, lack of flexibility by some of the staff when subjected to a difficult character has made me decide that Sigil is no longer the place for me.

Thankyou all for my stay here and I hope the server persists for many years to come as it's design is flawless and the setting is executed fantastically. Take care dudes.
*Tingly

Posted by *Tingly »

Having fidelity to your character when they have reasons to not get involved in an event is fine, and cool. If you're expecting an event to conform to make sure you can get involved, though, that's sometimes just not feasible. I'm sorry to hear it disappointed you so much and wish you well in the future.
*Dr_Shadelore

I never mentioned anything about conformity but a simple IC assurance when RP'ing my character on an RP server would have sufficed. It's also replies, such as that, which has guided my decision, a general disregard to players when they have an issue.

Not every character is going to jump into something and excluding a character when they had a simple, one line response request, is catering to the masses and not allowing a PC to develop, something I thought the server was well known for, personal character development. Additionally, as a side-note, might be a good idea to care for your players.
*Rayanne

Posted by *Rayanne »

I'm sorry to hear you're leaving. :/

I used to have similar expectations and problems as those you described. I found what helped was to just set your expectations to be very low, and to stop caring about events and/or getting invited to them. :P
Alternatively, find a good EM or RP buddy and make your own events. :)
*edmaster44

Posted by *edmaster44 »

Unfortunate, it is a bit hard too Answer too PM's quickly as the DM Client isn't very Robust, it's prone too crashes and what not, especially since handling events with a high turn turn up, Although i pride myself in being Open accepting player's requests and trying my best too accommodate and push for player initiative as well as Juggling Scripting/Building too, the nwn2 DM Client isn't the best unfortunately and i think i did see a IC response too some IC concerns, it is a bit hard too Get too every one where there is a rather huge attendance in public events.
*Dr_Shadelore

Thankyou. It' not an 'expectation' but the general air of the server. Many PC's stand about the bazaar, the Dm's run events for those players and someone who (IC) questions the motives/ doesn't jump straight into an event and breaks character doesn't conform to a particular way of thinking that has developed on Sigil.

Example: Jareth Kryton, Hiver and suspicious sorts would be intrigued as to what was happening but when being told to touch a sensation stone without knowing what might happen, well he's not going to do it without a written assurance. IC that was all he asked for, I wasn't breaking character but for RPing him he was simply ignored. It's sad really because new players to the server might just give up and move on without expressing their concerns.
*Tingly

Posted by *Tingly »

You're talking about being IC yourself, which I'm not sure anyone has questioned that you were being. I don't get the impression you have much respect for others replying to you in character.

The way I understood this situation was that your character walked to an event ran by a faction, in that faction's headquarters, for free, and just before it was about to begin they went "You should do this, so I'm willing to participate". In that situation, a curt refusal does feel very much in character to me.
*Dr_Shadelore

There was no such refusal. Kryton asked people touched the stone and poofed. No communication following. I'm not suggesting a DM should have eyes everywhere, I know how tough it can be running an event (I used to DM myself) But the response you gave is the exact attitude I'm refering to.
*edmaster44

Posted by *edmaster44 »

I think it was a simple case of Too many people, lost of typing and activity going on, so she might of missed your PM.
*Dr_Shadelore

It's not a matter of "I'm going to complain because I missed an event" This is a culmination of various aspects of the server I have noticed over the time I have been here. I understand that DM's are busy, I understand events are tough to run when there are alot of people. Players are not given the freedom to RP their own characters as they wish when related to their faction/ disposition. I see many events run by the sensates and, when you scry the player list the vast majority are of one faction. Where's the attention given to the other factions? What happened to character development instead of players following a DM about and getting catered to? How does that bring in and keep newer players?

When anyone has a slight complaint these players that coil themselves about a DM all pipe up and you feel guilty for having an opinion which disappoints me because I have alot of fond memories on this server but do I want to be a part of that? Not really, I have RL stuff to think of and I'm not going to linger about on the server for 12 hours to get a small amount of assistance to develop a character.

I'm just disappointed that, after all these years, the server has become this. I recall the days where the DM's would assist players development and intricate stories which entwined those characters existed, now it is a select few who get the attention around that particular DM's PC. I just believe all player should be treated equally and the lack of forum use, everything arranged on Discord? Some people can't keep up in real time with the events happening so how does that promote individual character development?

I'm sorry but they're my opinions based upon my own observations and it saddens me as I love Sigil as a server.