TKL Performer (instruments)

*juubo

Posted by *juubo »

So you equipped an instrument and saw there's a wierd menu that makes sounds when you use it. Welcome to the TKL performer tool inside NWN2. This can play songs on several tracks, time lyrics to go with it, and so much more. If you're interested in the basics please read up here . Go on, I'll wait...

Ok, confused even more? I am, but from what I've found to understand:

The "record" option in each track let's you set a beats per minute and the write in a song. Use the nwn2 paste tool to help.

You have most seprate notes seperated by case and number, so
"a1 A1 a2 A2 ab1 Ab1 ab2 Ab2 am aM1 Am1 AM1 am2 aM2 Am2 AM2" all have different notes in the A range.
a or A - determines the note range
Capitalization & numbers - determines the pitch level of the note. 1 or 2 are always require at the end of each, and 3 can be used only with "C" notes
b - determines if the not is sharp, careful not to confuse this with the "b" note
m or M This is a harmony string, playing 2 notes close together.

Spaces matter, as they will give pauses between notes

"-" matter as well, as it seems to effect the note's length.

Using "|: A1 |x2|" will play A1, or any notes you put in, 2 times.

Once you start a song you play from a recording YOU CAN NOT STOP, or at least not unless you keep moving around. If you make a really bad sound, walk out of the area to save folks a headache.

If all else fails you can "improvise" with a few premade songs.

-------------------

Now that I've covered some of my basics, I'll get into adding in new songs next post.
*Dancil

Posted by *Dancil »

Thank you for doing this. I assume this is why Bards have colleges in fantasy settings. :confused:

I will make a Bard now and try to song too.
*juubo

Posted by *juubo »

Ok, so from the stuff I posted recently, there is another game with a very similar coding language called "Space Station 13". In their case, they have an entire library of songs that can be cute and pasted into their instruments. We can sort of leverage those same sheets here, but even I have some confusion on how to best convert them:

First a link to several of their song

Next, the tool used to covert the midis

As you can see, the format is similar with some differences:

BPM is beats per minute, which can be set under recording.

A3 to A6 is used to determine the pitch of a song, so this can be converted into lowercase/uppercase with 1s & 2s.

b is sharp, so can be left as it is.

/0, /2, / any number is a length indicator, which I could use help determining how to set in our system.

A-B1-C3 are note meant to be played together I believe, which I don't think you can do without using the other tracks, which will play over one another.

I'll post up more as I learn more, with some converted songs I hope. If any musical folkswant to help me figure out the delays a bit more, feel free to reply.
*juubo

Posted by *juubo »

From what I learned still trying to work with this:

Lower case cut a not in hal, it doesn't alter the tone.

The "-" are supposed to lengthen the beat of a note, but don't for me for what ever reason

Spaces so effect the duration of notes.

So by upping the tempo you should be able to give yourself more options to "shorten" other notes by lengthening others. But like I said, it doesn't seem to work quite the right way
*Glyve

Posted by *Glyve »

Sounds like Mabinogi. I tried that game cause I was really excited about being able to make songs in game. Then was like "What? It doesn't use sheet music? Now I have to learn C+ and HTML to be a song writer? I haven't even wrapped my head around digital recording yet." I know, they call me Mr. 1989. But I got relatively ok with it. Managed to make Greensleeves and a couple simple melodies from my own songs. Maybe I can figure it out. Now, which race I've been drooling over would make the best bard, that's the question.