Not sure if my system is dying...

*Cellopoly

Posted by *Cellopoly »

So several times today I tried to get in game. I've been having a difficult time doing so. It started yesterday. Was in game in the afternoon, hunting in Limbo, and my system made a loud Buzz sound... froze up and rebooted. Logged back in and everything was fine, played into the night. Today I've tried 4 different times. First time I got in (this evening), loaded up, entered, made it half way through the Hive and Bzzz... freeze/reboot. Tried it again. Chose the Character and entered the Mod. Got in the OOC and it froze/rebooted. tried a third time. Logged in, chose the character, Showed as loading... didn't even get the OOC open and it rebooted. Tried it one more time. Same effect. Did a bit of looking on google, and thought it might be overheating so I shut it down and went to watch a movie. Started it back up, managed to get in game (only 2 of us on). Was there for about 20 minutes before it froze and rebooted again.

So... until I figure this out, I might have difficulty getting on to RP with folks. Hopefully it's nothing too serious 'cause Christmas just passed and I'm pretty broke. I'll let you know how I make out. Sorry to those I was supposed to meet with.
*Sinlinara

Posted by *Sinlinara »

That does in fact sound like an overheating issue, especially if the span of time before a freeze is longer for your first session after being shut down for a while. I recommend installing this heat monitor and keeping a close eye on your PC's temperature while you play!
*LiquidDreamer

Posted by *LiquidDreamer »

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

What was the loud sound, whats it a Zzzt.
*Cellopoly

Posted by *Cellopoly »

LiquidDreamer wrote:Is this a desktop or a laptop?

What was the loud sound, whats it a Zzzt.
It's an older desktop... and it was a Zzzt but I think that was purely through the speakers as Youtube was playing and froze. It would just pause... and restart. No error notice, no blue screen, nothing. Gonna try a the heat reader and play it and a couple other games to compare.
*LiquidDreamer

Posted by *LiquidDreamer »

Hm. Check the temps, it may be time for a re-tim.
*Cellopoly

Posted by *Cellopoly »

Re-tim?
*Sinlinara

Posted by *Sinlinara »

Tim!
*Cellopoly

Posted by *Cellopoly »

It definitely appears to be a heat thing. Hasn't crapped out on me today but watching to core temps as I play slowly climb to unacceptable levels is pretty convincing as the cause. Sometime this week I'll clean it all out. Hopefully that'll help.
*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

Heat sink paste if you can redo that.

Also sudden shutting down even without a heat issue usualy indicaton the power supply is going bad and that is a very good cuplurt of older computers.

Make sure vsync is forced from video settings /graphics card too if its trying render frames at 200 fps a second watch core temps jump in just few minutes .
*edmaster44

Posted by *edmaster44 »

Get a can of air. Then, blow that sucker clean, Re apply Arctic Silver if needed on CPU and GPU if possible.