Proxies

*MimiFearthegn

Posted by *MimiFearthegn »

One thing this does bring up is that the way the Revolutionary League works currently just isn't friendly to grouping. The League would have to change from the semi-villain "people with bombs who want to get everyone" faction that it currently is in order to fit nicely in any factional grouping.
*rapsam2003

Posted by *rapsam2003 »

MimiFearthegn wrote:One thing this does bring up is that the way the Revolutionary League works currently just isn't friendly to grouping. The League would have to change from the semi-villain "people with bombs who want to get everyone" faction that it currently is in order to fit nicely in any factional grouping.
Might I suggest changing them to be more political activists, as opposed to outright terrorists (that's basically what they are now). Yes, it's departure from lore... but no one likes Anarchs for a reason. ^o)
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

rapsam2003 wrote:
MimiFearthegn wrote:One thing this does bring up is that the way the Revolutionary League works currently just isn't friendly to grouping. The League would have to change from the semi-villain "people with bombs who want to get everyone" faction that it currently is in order to fit nicely in any factional grouping.
Might I suggest changing them to be more political activists, as opposed to outright terrorists (that's basically what they are now). Yes, it's departure from lore... but no one likes Anarchs for a reason. ^o)
I actually had an entire plot figured out where the Revs would split into two with the Violent members becoming a Sect and the Political moderates taking the fore front and trying to create a Republic. Lots of RP was already made with a Factor in the Revs meeting with High Ranking Fraternity members to make it come to fruition. It didn't go much further than that as the people involved in the RP had moved on.

Suffice to say that the Revs were gonna fight a 'civil war' and the Moderates were going to come out on top and many were going to 'out themselves' in an effort to bring democracy to the Cage.

Maybe some day :)
*DaftyXIII

Posted by *DaftyXIII »

rapsam2003 wrote:
why not both?!

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

I think you get the idea i'm getting at with the image above :P
*Artifice

Posted by *Artifice »

Well I personally would like to see more angles than just the stereotypical one, especially if you were squashing such groups together for plot purposes. The nature of such broad and varied groups is that, if you have to intersect them, the range in what you can do with them becomes narrower for every Faction you involve. Right?

Let's look at the Revolutionary League. If you want to focus on them cooperating with other groups, there are ways that can be done. They're not just violent extremists. The Revolutionary League are countless, individual groups of cells that operate completely independently, such that no one group can be tied to the whole and used to build up the Faction or break it down.

The Revolutionary League has sub objectives and things they want to achieve that are not just blowing stuff up and overthrowing other Factions. For example, they have a large presence in the Inner Planes, especially the Quasi-elemental Plane of Lightning, where they battle against Yugoloths tampering with the fundamental building blocks of reality. They also have many, many influential individuals dedicated to mastering the portals of the Cage, and freeing them from the hands of private groups and Factions.

The Free League are also more than just market place watchers. They have everything from criminal syndicates and assassination houses to the palaces of the Golden Lords of Sigil. They number from the most clueless berk who just stumbled into Sigil to the ruler of the largest castle in Sigil and everything in-between. They have artists, philosophers who push expression and self agency, and even the Guilds of Sigil which run monopolies on the trades which the City of Doors depend on.

The Fated have a very specific reputation as debt collectors and greedy berks. But like every Faction there's a wide array of influence and activity there. Their leaders are developing castles and standing armies around the Planes and in Sigil preparing for war. They have a long history going back and forth from being against and being under the thumb of the dark forces of Baator. Yet their philosophy has formed from the honourable calls of Ysgard, and that - not Sigil - is the centre of their power, where most Fated call home. Their Might Makes Right philosophy isn't just breaking legs and collecting taxes, even if their relatively recent stint of confiscating Bibgy's Arcane University and turning it into their Faction headquarters has put a big focus on that as a method of becoming more powerful.

:nod:

I mean, I know I'm not a DM here or anything. I guess what I'm just trying to say is that if I wanted to see a plot that involved these three groups having to work together, I wouldn't want it to just be more market place drama. They're not just Marketeers. There's areas where these groups all cross over - sword and castle high fantasy out in the idyllic but violent wilds of Ysgard? Fighting the machinations of the Fiends in the Inner Planes, where they're trying to cut out the middle man and rewrite reality so that they can snatch freedom and good from all? Vying between the Golden Lords of Sigil and their massive estates, and rivalling corporate enterprises?

:nod:

Anyway those are just my thoughts. I wasn't going to post but then I thought, well, maybe someone would think this was a helpful bit of insight and opinion.

Let's just have fun.

:)
*DaftyXIII

Posted by *DaftyXIII »

What was to be my original double post was beaten by Artifice, let my quote bellow of what would have been my original post to contribute here to -try- and reinforce Artifice in turn then to some extent, assuming I read Artifice's words right!
wrote: I will double post here because this is more than a simple edit.

I'll be honest I think some of us right now are thinking as if one proxie group will have one mind set under one ideology. I feel it won't work out well in such a way, I'll explain in a example...

with the -Revolutionary League- on the proxie topic, I feel to many are thinking of it being formed under one idea and everyone with the same mind set and how to get that one goal in the end, when you got a number of axis points the alignment system.

With the mixed groups combined planed this could get messy if not careful, look at the existing factions as a example. many ways to so stuff under one philosophy, some favor one alignment over the other with actions and words in turn.

So really we should try to group them how they could benefit each other IC through RP which is more than one direct route / option
*rapsam2003

Posted by *rapsam2003 »

I don't think anyone is saying that factions don't have varied groups and subfactions and even individuals with their own goals. But the Revolutionary League is (and always has been) a problem on a PW, frankly.
*DaftyXIII

Posted by *DaftyXIII »

rapsam2003 wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that factions don't have varied groups and subfactions and even individuals with their own goals. But the Revolutionary League is (and always has been) a problem on a PW, frankly.
with that said ignore me HERE

:P

I assumed the groupings where more liner with some of what's said, and yeah with the Revolutionary League's rep right now. It may be best to toss them to the side, they are not going to redeem themselves any time soon

UPDATE : I will stop contributing to this thread as I feel I don't have enough details here in this thread (which was probably talked about privately before hand) to be able to contribute. I did ask for celerity in the above [HERE] as a example and no response given :/
*MimiFearthegn

Posted by *MimiFearthegn »

Darkrob wrote:Suffice to say that the Revs were gonna fight a 'civil war' and the Moderates were going to come out on top and many were going to 'out themselves' in an effort to bring democracy to the Cage.
I do think this would be a solid solution to the Rev issue.

Actually I'm very much in favor of having things change in the city from time to time (faction merges, faction changes, law changes), it just has to be backed up/validated completely in game, in such a way that people who care can contribute. That way, people will know what their characters are getting in to, and there will be a story to tell about "why things are different from last year / the lore books."
*DaftyXIII

Posted by *DaftyXIII »

Bless you MimiFearthegn for helping clear up any questions I had over PM's on this rather confusing thread! Now confident in understanding, I am curios as to what the rest think about the Revolutionary League being more refined for this persistence 3 faction alliance and / or being discarded

If you would like to see the Revolutionary League more organized than a cell group of radicals blowing shit up just to make a point that wont matter in the end, how would you like to see it done? What are the up sides and down sides you can see to this?

OR

If you would rather the Revolutionary League be tossed to the side and discarded, why do you feel it would benefit the server, and what down sides do you see in the process?

your thoughts with the two anyone?

PS. Duality exists in all decisions made, so there are up sides and down to all, please state both up and down sides to your point, thank you :)