Just Some Discussion

*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

So with all these replies about events but what of constructive ideas to keep players engaged with each other when there is not an eminent reward? We have tried the massive flood of event train but its not keep players from logging off afterwards, leaving those dedicated to playing on the server lack of interaction.

I would encourage players to seek out others for the solution to character needs then running to a dm/em for everything. Be it services and goods, or idea how solve a problem, assistance in research or casting of a ritual. To be in a group narative means to engage in others and its all about give and take.

Players are also receptive when you take interest in their goals or background for their characters. Inquire and make new bonds.
*Sinlinara

Posted by *Sinlinara »

Tomekk,Sep 7 2017 wrote: I don't have much to add, beyond this: can we please, please have events and stuff announced on forums more often? The 'Up and Coming Events' thread hasn't had a post since April.
I would also like for events to be announced on the forums more often, however I am also very happy that our EMs have been doing a very stellar job of announcing and getting excitement for events on our Discord.

This isn't to say that the solution is "Just join the Discord", but it is something I would recommend regardless.
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Sinlinara,Sep 7 2017 wrote:
Tomekk,Sep 7 2017 wrote: I don't have much to add, beyond this: can we please, please have events and stuff announced on forums more often? The 'Up and Coming Events' thread hasn't had a post since April.
I would also like for events to be announced on the forums more often, however I am also very happy that our EMs have been doing a very stellar job of announcing and getting excitement for events on our Discord.

This isn't to say that the solution is "Just join the Discord", but it is something I would recommend regardless.
Problem is many of us have no real interest in Discord. As stubborn as that may sound, I (for one) have next to no interest in real time chatting. As well, I can access the forum from work (or anywhere) but not discord. I would prefer that the forum not be abandoned as it will alienate many who still rely on it.
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

I for one think that unnecessary bureaucracy requirements aren't going to encourage more creative event making. The more work is required to make an event, the greater the tresshold to have even one be made in the first place, sure it's easy to want everything spoonfed, but some people actually have to take time to write it all up, prepare the event up, and then also run the event. I've also never really followed on that 'up and coming events' thread or seen it having a major impact in overall activity honestly.

I also personally think that we'll rather want to reward people who are logged on, rather than encourage logging on just for the events. Sort of why I made this topic, which is now all lobbed back at EMs/DMs :lol: . Now I'm not saying that I'm against pre-announced events, I did announce the carnevals after all (which to be fair, is more than just a few events), but I think we need to better understand what we want the end result to be. And currently I'd much rather get a stable regular population rather than an irregular one that event hops.

On that count, to me it'd be much nicer to see IC posts of things that have happened, are happening or are going to happen. Those things to me would inspire much more to assume that there is in character roleplay to engage to, rather than just knowing that an event is going to happen in X hours. I don't think it should be mandatory, but I think it'd have a positive impact, and pretty much anyone participating can write those up or add to them.
*witchinghour

Posted by *witchinghour »

Along the lines of wishing to see more things posted in IC subforums, I think it'd be a good start to encourage and rewards Bios/Journals more often. A completely optional thing for players to do, but it can throw a hook out there for interest and get some delicious gold/xp/whatever reward. I've heard some people don't bother to read them, but in my experience it's gotten people interested in looking for my character for RP and loveily so not metagaming. Its a good passive initiative (if that makes sense :D) for players who are shy and characters who are not outgoing, and getting a reward for it too! Of course, there should be the option to submit a private Bio to DM/EMs for rewards and of course to keep things private at the wish of the player. And it would give some idea fuel not just for characters, but the EM/DMs to make events aimed at a certain demographic of characters/players for hooks. One of the best things I did on Danae was make her bio and share it IC when asked, which even got her an event without my requesting (Thank you Scin!)
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

That sounds like a good idea, at least for a trial. How'd others feel about something like that?

Could even make a small subsection for those biographies that'd include something like "plothooks character is into" or something like it.
*Rayanne

Posted by *Rayanne »

Darkrob,Sep 7 2017 wrote: Problem is many of us have no real interest in Discord. As stubborn as that may sound, I (for one) have next to no interest in real time chatting. As well, I can access the forum from work (or anywhere) but not discord. I would prefer that the forum not be abandoned as it will alienate many who still rely on it.
Seconded, again.
I don't feel like having to idle in the discord and sort through the deluge of spam/off-topic chatter just in case something relevant to the server pops up.
I'd really appreciate it if people would post a notice on the forum. Even a short, one-sentence post would do.

I use my character's BIO to describe my avatar's (current) appearance. Not to tell my entire backstory or anything else that basically amounts to meta-knowledge.
I do like the idea of a way to convey what plot-hooks your character is interested in, but I also wouldn't mind if, in the future, DM/EM's made it clear what kind of topics their events will touch and what kind of characters it would be appropriate to bring.
*witchinghour

Posted by *witchinghour »

I also mentioned to submit a private bio to EMs/DMs for reward and resource for ideas. Thats up to you how much you'd let out.

Its more up to yourself what character you'd want to bring, than the EM/DM to tell. If an event is just not jiving for someone, its not a sin to let it be. I'd agree to an extent though. An Event announcement could allude to what is best on the adventure in an IC manner, as everything can be open ended if you're looking. Only thing I'd think that should be flat out told is the level ranges intended, as thats a bit silly to say ICly :D

*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

Please be mindful that ems cannot make events that suit every character all at once. There will always be someone thats not satisified. That is why you must give some leeway on both sides to make it managable.

Nor should it be required overhead for those making events have tell you what it all entails, as it is extra work.

If your only logging in for events and logging off afterwards, thats not very encouraging for a playerbase nor for those that do the events.

As for walking out of events because it dont fit your character idealogy, that is your choice to make, even if its walking out before the actual plot hook is tossed.
*Sinlinara

Posted by *Sinlinara »

I'm not personally fond of writing up biographies, hence why it took me around a year and a half to make one for Aleis. But I don't dislike biographies as much as I dislike journals so I don't think I'd mind seeing where a trial would go.