A Possible Thing In The Future!

*Tsidkenu

Posted by *Tsidkenu »

Level 30 is the ultimate destination for some, but not all, players. I'm one of those that enjoys the journey there, even if it takes me 12-18 months of 1000 RP XP being credited each day/week/whatever. It seems like an error, in my opinion, to assume that RP is at its best at level 30.

A better system would be to incorporate more reliable means of obtaining RP XP (as per Danae's RP XP 'tick' thread) so that folks are not forced to 'do the grind' to 30, which for people like me is a laborious and somewhat irritating task.

I do think there is some merit in the thought of instant level ups for 'throw away' characters being used by a player for another player as a plot device, though.
*Rayanne

Posted by *Rayanne »

A instant-30 character without gear wouldn't stand up to a fully-geared max level character, much less a group of 'em.
Unless they're going to receive appropriate gear as well, I don't see why they have to be max level. If they're not going mechanically challenge other players, then a level 1 character would serve exactly the same purpose.
*Melmoth

Posted by *Melmoth »

ItÂ’s an idea that holds merits.

However, itÂ’s not suitable for every player.

In my opinion, it works best with deep, well prepared character concepts (for instance, an old character played for years in PnP), in order to avoid a potential lack of depth.

Another possibility would be XP and gold refund for players accepting to part with their characters for the sake of RP. The effect would be similar.
*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

Ah temp characters dont actuay require an indepth story to be played, you could easy be a priest on mission find planewalkers to deal with ancient evil on their world for example, or see artifact thats in the planes that been stolen.
*Melmoth

Posted by *Melmoth »

Lucadia,Oct 14 2017 wrote: Ah temp characters dont actuay require an indepth story to be played, you could easy be a priest on mission find planewalkers to deal with ancient evil on their world for example, or see artifact thats in the planes that been stolen.
What I stated before is, of course (and as specified), only my personal opinion, and yours is at least equally valid.

However, in this particular case I don't believe our statements are necessarily mutually exclusive (where does that priest come from? How did he become a priest? How did he get his mission? What really motivates him? How is he? Quirks, strengths, weaknesses, peculiarities, typical sentences, words he likes...Having such a background does a lot for everyone's enjoyment. Far, far more than just having a sound build and a believable reason to be around, in my view).
*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

if your going that far in detail for a character, then better off just playing pc from scratch for the concept and having attachment.

Anyway it should work in all various ways a player could imagine, be it temporary pleasure to play a role for somebody else, much like npc that you need and have impact, or just somebody that dont want do the grind any more and feels comfortable rping at lv 30.
Gear is not required to be a challenge or nearly not impactful as you think. Lv 30 should easily take a few days scrounge up on their own power then asking for handout.

If you make it too complicated or to hard to approve (such as needing a full fleged background to play temporary character) the option to use it wont be open to all.

Adding gateways is a sure fire way to keep people off from playing.

Even if many players disagree, one the biggest draws this server has is the multitude of character races to play, and none require an application or reason why you want play them.
(even if many feel application and some degree of knowledge whould be known to play races).

Even being an EM is just a very simple synopis "I want run a rescue event" to be approved for temporary access. Though ..I might recommend some players wanting to play npc role for other players this could be option and have entire handful at disposal at all times.
*edmaster44

Posted by *edmaster44 »

All i want to say is, if a XP tick is going to be added! You can throw in a save pc to vault function at the mean time, I've toyed with the idea of making a Campaign with the Fated Faction where people make PC's and i level them up to level 10 or 15, but time is not my best friend at the moment.
*rapsam2003

Posted by *rapsam2003 »

Lucadia,Oct 14 2017 wrote: If you make it too complicated or to hard to approve (such as needing a full fledged background to play temporary character) the option to use it wont be open to all.
I think this is fine. It shouldn't be something that is just done whenever people like. There should be a purpose to such characters (and enough background to support the purpose).
*DaftyXIII

Posted by *DaftyXIII »

I think both Melmoth and Lucadia both have a point that crosses paths on what I'm about to state. Deepening on the scenario one could have an outline of a character with just the core details, other could have a good amount of detail backing them.

Examples are one could have grew up as a street urchin and has done nothing notable (yet) could have an outline with core details and just that. While some street thug may have a more notable past and have an extensive back story in comparison.

as i said I think it depends on the story your trying to tell or contribute too really.
*Kiljaedon

Posted by *Kiljaedon »

Maybe allow some system to create these throw away characters but I feel they should be limited in scope of how they can influence certain things like the market or the major plots. Give worthwhile people the ability to maybe have these alts but only temporary. Give them a purpose then they will either die or lose that temporarily boosted power. I would not let this become a permanent being. Maybe inflicted with vaporizing illness that blinks you out of exsistance..