A Possible Thing In The Future!

*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

I want to first and foremost emphasize that this is by no means a certainty, and I'm still contemplating on the practical implementation of it, so take everything with a grain of salt. Mostly I am checking if there'd even be any interest for something like this.

Having checked discord, suggestions & ideas boards etc. One thing that keeps on popping up is the whole "not feeling like grinding"-thing, if you have ideas for that leave them to other threads, I'm just leading to the reason for this thingamajic, not inviting suggestions. :P

So I figured that we could have a temporary, lets say arbitrarily one or two weeks of time, OOC campaign where players would be allowed to practically get to level 30, just like that, and then equip them (Need to think how to do that, probably making some pre-made kits of which to choose or something). Effectively get a late game character without the grind. I did initially think of just allowing to rebuild old characters as completely new ones, but I figured that'd be unfair for newer players, so going for kind of alternative version of that.

Of course there'd be some issues that'd require sorting before it could be a reality, but I'll worry of those later. Currently I'm just curious if anyone would actually be inspired by something like this?

Now let me tell you some of the possible benefits this might have.
- With grinding out of the way, can just focus on making a character based on a purpose, and before running out of steam to do it, just do it right away.
- Could make throw away characters, quick (ideological or not) villain (who doesn't need to be evil and) who is meant to lose and die. After all, there was no real time investment into making the character.

I don't genuinely think these characters would be long lasting concepts since they pop into existence and have little history or ties into the setting, but they'd have the tools to get right into it, theoretically anyway! More likely is that they'd have a longer standing impact on pre-existing characters.

Anyway, whacha think?
*Hydra

Posted by *Hydra »

What about making the grinding at later levels even easier but perhaps a bit longer, so reaching level 30 alone is actually possible? Just a suggestion because I've always struggled past level 27.

As for having characters immediately level 30, unless there's a good reason, like staff agreement and a clear purpose for that character. I don't think its a good idea.
*DaftyXIII

Posted by *DaftyXIII »

Mr_Otyugh,Oct 12 2017 wrote: Now let me tell you some of the possible benefits this might have.
- With grinding out of the way, can just focus on making a character based on a purpose, and before running out of steam to do it, just do it right away.
- Could make throw away characters, quick (ideological or not) villain (who doesn't need to be evil and) who is meant to lose and die. After all, there was no real time investment into making the character.
I like the second point made there, as it's hard to detach from a character you got from level 1 - 30 and not be wiling to dispose of them. As a result many villains have contingency plans to be reincarnated and such.

This may also fill the void some what on some near empty factions too that are hard to grasp interest in the ideals they represent that are not so interesting to many? Would be nice to not have all Xaositect NPC's running around anymore causing chaos, heck even have a throw away anarchist would be fun. ;)
*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

I have admit with option like this I be willing to make a sacrafice character thats designed to be a villian to challenge others. Having level up an antagonist for that sole purpose is very off putting.
*witchinghour

Posted by *witchinghour »

Honestly, It needs alot of revision, but I like where this could go. Because I'd absolutely disagree for full max level in one go. The character being for rp purposes or not. I'd suggest mid-ish level, if anything. A good push in the right direction. What'd be stopping people from wanting to be level 30 right off the bat all the time.

I think if anything, a request should be put in for what someone wants to accomplish and at what level they'd need and should be leniently reviewed based on level wanted. 15? bah no problem. 30? I'd agree with Hydra that staff should put that under great consideration. I greatly like this kind of thing as a perfectly acceptable reason.
wrote:- Could make throw away characters, quick (ideological or not) villain (who doesn't need to be evil and) who is meant to lose and die. After all, there was no real time investment into making the character.
I'd love to have sacrificial PCs for this with some of the ideas I've had, that would otherwise require DM Client assistance to even pose a threat.

Grinding, is boring when thats the only thing to do when theres no rp to be had. And thats become the case lately. Running around grinding with people to rp with isn't bad. I think it'd be better to provide things to do, than offering something that could eliminate one of the only (and still tediously mind numbing ugh) things to do.

wrote:This may also fill the void some what on some near empty factions too that are hard to grasp interest in the ideals they represent that are not so interesting to many? Would be nice to not have all Xaositect NPC's running around anymore causing chaos, heck even have a throw away anarchist would be fun. wink.gif
+1 to this
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

I want to clarify something: this isn't currently DM team subscribed idea, it's my personal idea to see what people think. And see if it's at all workable or if to scrap it before taking it anywhere. I'm more than adult enough to understand that not all ideas are great after all, but I'm also interested to hear possible alterations and other opinions and see if it couldn't be made something good.
*DaftyXIII

Posted by *DaftyXIII »

Mr_Otyugh,Oct 12 2017 wrote: I'm also interested to hear possible alterations and other opinions and see if it couldn't be made something good.
I figured your post was a rough idea to be refined, and you thew it out there too see if we would like the core concept.

on the note of ideas, lets say the system could be restricted use to a single event or plot line even. Once the time is up then the character goes away permanently, or waits for a chaining event?

I feel that the above suggestion I posted is also in need of refining, but it's a idea that I hope another could branch out with if interested.
*silinrul357

Posted by *silinrul357 »

I guess I'm conflicted. See, I like a whole work-for-reward thing, and my traditional gameplay style would have gone very much against this once upon a time. However, with real life simply being a priority, and me preferring much more to RP than to grind (Note I said RP over grind, but I also like to planeswalk regardless), making a character from the bottom up can be hard. In particular, I find mid levels actually -very- difficult as of late because parties are simply hard to come by, and very-high levels can be the same way. This does NOT mean that you need a high level character to RP with either. Personally I think having a lower-level character can be just as engaging as a max level.

So, those are thoughts to take into consideration. I guess in the end of things, I don't mind if it goes one way or the other. Grinding can be a chore, especially when your life is like mine, and is about as stable as foil in a microwave, but compared to other places I've played, Sigil is still pretty generous when it comes to levels and EXP.
*DaftyXIII

Posted by *DaftyXIII »

silinrul357,Oct 12 2017 wrote: Personally I think having a lower-level character can be just as engaging as a max level.
I can agree to the extent of the concept you gave about RP over all else, which is my preferred thing.
it's a double-edged sword I feel overall, and while I can see the idea on getting up there fast can do some good on disposable alts, thus they should not be treated like a main in any way shape or form. This is why I suggested if a system is to be implemented then make it be restricted to some extent, the question is "how it should be restricted and where?".

the level 30 instant deal could generate a assassin and perhaps should only be used to do the job and talk between clients.

Thing is, once we get our characters too level 30 we get so attached to them we don't want to let them go and all the time you spend on getting gold, gear, and EXP you wont want to throw said character away.

Now with that said, I'm going branch off of my own rough suggestion HERE perhaps instead of just limiting them to plots and events, have a form for others too fill out with an OOC obligation they must agree too uphold, like that assassin idea I gave? This idea that Mr_Otyugh put out here can be interesting and beneficial to many here if it's implemented in a way those that worked hours getting up to 30 wont feel like they got the shaft with this deal, instead give it intensive for us to want to work our way too the top grinding away and if we feel worried about disposing of a character due to the suicidal concept then they can turn to Mr_Otyugh's idea.

Sorry for the wall o' text here, I feel that if I went into some more detail then perhaps it may make more sense? We'll see I guess :P

EDIT : I made a few mistakes with my point here I feel, but I think you all get the idea. it's 11:44pm here *UGH*
*rapsam2003

Posted by *rapsam2003 »

The main stipulation should be, "This character is for a single plot(line) purpose, and then the character is done."