New Crafting/enchanting System

*Grendel

Posted by *Grendel »

Blacksmiths forge blades and horseshoes without ever wielding one or riding on a horse's back. Trebuchet builders may make a siege weapon capable of taking down a wall but you won't see them actually aiming them on the battlefield. Builder doesn't mean user and vice-versa; realistically it's very rare for one to devote enough time to a craft/trade and also pursue the usage of those tools.

Also, we currently have some mitigation in the form of special materials crafting. One of my crafters could enchant a pretty nasty sword, but he can't work Tantulhor or Byeshk into anything usable. At best he can make a simple unenchanted sword and then make up for the deficiencies of his craftsmanship with magic.
*Sinlinara

Posted by *Sinlinara »

There is already a mechanic that exists for exceptionally well made weapons, armor, and tools. It's called a Masterwork item.
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

It's also possible to make completely new armor/shield types, if you want to add that as an option. It's even possible to make positive skill modifier, that is armor which actually makes it easier to hide etc. Not saying it's something that should be gone into, but it's an option.
*MimiFearthegn

Posted by *MimiFearthegn »

Masterwork items are very minor in interest (at least according to default ruleset) compared to fully enchanted magical weapons. Since our perspective is rather skewed towards higher levels, they're kind of irrelevant.

For non-magical crafting, I'd say that looking at special metals and increasing the potential there might be a better way to go. . . not to mention it would solve the issue of some of those special metals being rather unimpressive right now.

Also, adding new armor and shield types would be awesome, but potentially unbalancing. . .
*witchinghour

Posted by *witchinghour »

I can't quite remember which server(s) had this ability, but perhaps to go along with the alchemy crafting, it would be pretty handy to craft healing kits, or put somewhere into future projects. Probably using craft alchemy or taking in account of the heal skill. Given that its more than just bandages, but herbs and salves also. :D
*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

Any chance there be options for destroying an enchantment or making an item a clean slate back to its original with this as well? Otherwise I think looks great. Enchanting for all!
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

Destroying an enchantment in an existing item does sound a dangerous path, it'll let you cherry pick benefits on items that may've been designed to have negatives so that it would counter-balance their other traits. This kind of system would make you able to take just their good trait and add more to it.

Cleaning up enchantments though, that sounds fine to me, but I think it'd run into issues with crafted items that have magical traits also, which shouldn't be wiped out.
*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

I was more refering to destroying enchantments that can be made by the system only. Set/special items should still have their niche.

and as for other questions, how is it going play out with items that already have properties on them but still enchantable.

IE Blind Sight, the blind fight helmet is a rare commodity that lot seek. you might end up only owning one on a pc if you get ahold of it. If the feat on it is going count as a massive sink in the available points for enchanting, or somehow able modify the old existing ones already enchanting.
*MimiFearthegn

Posted by *MimiFearthegn »

The goal is to have point values assigned for basically all item abilities. So old items will also be "ranked" points-wise. If they have points free, they'll be enchantable. If they don't, they won't be.
*SyntheticRose

Posted by *SyntheticRose »

Another idea is to have negative effects enchantable for a very small point cost refund. That way we can give our items drawbacks in exchange for a little more 'oomph.' The system should only allow drawbacks that are universally detrimental -- i.e., weaknesses to elements, AB/EB/damage penalties, etc.

For example, if a given wizard wants to make an athame dagger that grants lots of Spell Focus and Spell Penetration feats, but has -5 EB and the No Damage property to ensure that it is entirely a ceremonial spellcasting implement and not intended for use as a proper weapon.