SUGGESTIONS FOR A NEWBIE

Barba777

Posted by Barba777 »

Hey there!

I have only played NWN, but now I am about to purchase NWN2 and then play City of Gods too, but I wish you could give me some elucidations first.

1) Is Sigil more role-playing oriented or more action oriented? And does it allow enough single-player experience, or is it more oriented toward party action? And finally, do you have to start from level 1 with a new character, or are you somehow required to play NWN2 first?

2) Sigil kinda fulfills my dream to play a vampire on a NWN setting. How does it really work? is the vampire considered to be a prestige class? What race and class would you suggest to build it? I was tempted by favoured soul as a base class, to have a fighter with enough kick-ass divine spells and a cool weapon.

3) How many vampires are out there? :mrgreen: I am really intrigued by the class, but also by the moltitudes of new classes and races that seem to be involved.

Thank you in advance for your help! I am really looking forward to start playing.
Mr_Otyugh

Posted by Mr_Otyugh »

Howdy,

And just a tiny correction! It's actually City of Doors, you'll understand why gods would be inappropriate in few ways anyway due to planescape setting.

1) We try to maintain a balance between the two. Party play is encouraged through mechanics that make XP and spawn quantities more numerous. But you can definitely solo just alright. However you'll probably eventually come into a point where you want to at least interact with player run merchants, to be able to better handle challenges you face. You do start as level 1 character... but first few levels are really fast, so you won't be staying there long unless you really decide to do so.

2) Vampire is handled as a prestige class, well "template class" as we call it. Technically PrC in NWN2 terms, which changes your race upon selecting it. I have no real suggestions for builds. Vampires come in three different types... casters, melee or sneakish lot, so you definitely have a lot of freedom how to make them. Which is the best? That's sort of debatable, I'd pick based on what playstyle you enjoy.

3) There's always a couple of them out there. Dragons and fiends are largely more popular, but interests shift as people try different things out.
Barba777

Posted by Barba777 »

Mr_Otyugh wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 pm Howdy,

And just a tiny correction! It's actually City of Doors, you'll understand why gods would be inappropriate in few ways anyway due to planescape setting.

1) We try to maintain a balance between the two. Party play is encouraged through mechanics that make XP and spawn quantities more numerous. But you can definitely solo just alright. However you'll probably eventually come into a point where you want to at least interact with player run merchants, to be able to better handle challenges you face. You do start as level 1 character... but first few levels are really fast, so you won't be staying there long unless you really decide to do so.

2) Vampire is handled as a prestige class, well "template class" as we call it. Technically PrC in NWN2 terms, which changes your race upon selecting it. I have no real suggestions for builds. Vampires come in three different types... casters, melee or sneakish lot, so you definitely have a lot of freedom how to make them. Which is the best? That's sort of debatable, I'd pick based on what playstyle you enjoy.

3) There's always a couple of them out there. Dragons and fiends are largely more popular, but interests shift as people try different things out.
Thank you man, that was really helpful!
Now I just have to wait for a PC (I have a Mac) and then I'll definitely start.

I have a couple more curiosities tho. Is there a ton of cool items and weapons out there? I mean, I m always afraid characters end up with the same equipment at a certain point. Second: is the progression all based on events, or you are kinda free to travel around e step into quests?

Also...How can I install Sigil? :D
Mr_Otyugh

Posted by Mr_Otyugh »

There's a lot of items out there, but there's definitely an argument to be made about what the "optimal equipment" is that might "decrease the number of choices" down to a much smaller venue. Some of which are really difficult to get, others of which just eat up a lot of gold to get, and some of which is more common. Thing is you can mix and match things to your own content to find which item combinations suit your build best, but there's likely to be a few fairly universally desired items. It also kind of depends what you want your items to be focused into... like if you want more skill based items, you might opt out for other items than you'd if you instead tried to get best saves out, and so forth.

Events are by and large not something you should rely on to get levels. They aren't frequent or numerous enough to make you keep up a pace with anyone that does free roaming the planes. That's not to say there aren't events, because there are... but it's hard pressed to claim that they'd be super frequent.

You can start server file download just by direct connecting into: scod.game-server.cc
Barba777

Posted by Barba777 »

Mr_Otyugh wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:36 pm There's a lot of items out there, but there's definitely an argument to be made about what the "optimal equipment" is that might "decrease the number of choices" down to a much smaller venue. Some of which are really difficult to get, others of which just eat up a lot of gold to get, and some of which is more common. Thing is you can mix and match things to your own content to find which item combinations suit your build best, but there's likely to be a few fairly universally desired items. It also kind of depends what you want your items to be focused into... like if you want more skill based items, you might opt out for other items than you'd if you instead tried to get best saves out, and so forth.

Events are by and large not something you should rely on to get levels. They aren't frequent or numerous enough to make you keep up a pace with anyone that does free roaming the planes. That's not to say there aren't events, because there are... but it's hard pressed to claim that they'd be super frequent.

You can start server file download just by direct connecting into: scod.game-server.cc
Thank you, that was really exhaustive. One more question concerning vampire as a template class. Will I conserve my previous race when turning into a vampire, or is that a complete new race? What if, for example, I start as an angel? It's still not completely clear to me who are the humanoids...Thanks!
Barba777

Posted by Barba777 »

Barba777 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:33 am
Mr_Otyugh wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:36 pm There's a lot of items out there, but there's definitely an argument to be made about what the "optimal equipment" is that might "decrease the number of choices" down to a much smaller venue. Some of which are really difficult to get, others of which just eat up a lot of gold to get, and some of which is more common. Thing is you can mix and match things to your own content to find which item combinations suit your build best, but there's likely to be a few fairly universally desired items. It also kind of depends what you want your items to be focused into... like if you want more skill based items, you might opt out for other items than you'd if you instead tried to get best saves out, and so forth.

Thank you, that was really exhaustive. One more question concerning vampire as a template class. Will I conserve my previous race when turning into a vampire, or is that a complete new race? What if, for example, I start as an angel? It's still not completely clear to me who are the humanoids...Thanks!

Also, the website seems impossible to reach! May I have a direct link please?
Mr_Otyugh

Posted by Mr_Otyugh »

It's not a website. It's IP address you direct connect after you start up NWN2 -> multiplayer -> direct connect: type in scod.game-server.cc

NWN2 understands only one race at a time. So you can't be a both outsider and undead at a same time. So after you turn vampire, your previous race is forfeited and you become mechanically speaking an undead, also this will change your Favored Class (that may affect multiclass penalties for your build). But you should retain racial benefits from previous race still.

As for the term humanoid, it's a bit misleading as while in reality we understand the term "humanoid" as anything that's approximately the shape of human. In DnD terms humanoid is a very specific thing, and that is essentially mortal base races. Humanoid (base races such as humans, elves... and orcs/goblinoid), Monstrous Humanoid (Gargoyle, Gnoll, Minotaur, Xeph, Doppelganger)... but it doesn't include things such as succubus, erinyes, devas and what not "humanoid shaped" outsiders, nor do they include nymph or fey. To give further clarity, there's also Planetouched (Genasi, tiefling, aasimar)... which according to wiki cannot fulfill criterias to become a vampire, but I'm not certain of that.
Barba777

Posted by Barba777 »

Mr_Otyugh wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:43 pm It's not a website. It's IP address you direct connect after you start up NWN2 -> multiplayer -> direct connect: type in scod.game-server.cc

NWN2 understands only one race at a time. So you can't be a both outsider and undead at a same time. So after you turn vampire, your previous race is forfeited and you become mechanically speaking an undead, also this will change your Favored Class (that may affect multiclass penalties for your build). But you should retain racial benefits from previous race still.

As for the term humanoid, it's a bit misleading as while in reality we understand the term "humanoid" as anything that's approximately the shape of human. In DnD terms humanoid is a very specific thing, and that is essentially mortal base races. Humanoid (base races such as humans, elves... and orcs/goblinoid), Monstrous Humanoid (Gargoyle, Gnoll, Minotaur, Xeph, Doppelganger)... but it doesn't include things such as succubus, erinyes, devas and what not "humanoid shaped" outsiders, nor do they include nymph or fey. To give further clarity, there's also Planetouched (Genasi, tiefling, aasimar)... which according to wiki cannot fulfill criterias to become a vampire, but I'm not certain of that.
Hey there,

I am sorry to bother you again, but I stepped into quite an impredictable issue.
I have downloaded the game from GOG and filled my .ini with the 3 cd keys, which are totally correct and valid.
Problem is, when I try to connect to scod, I am told that my key is UNAUTHORIZED (and, according to the client extension launcher, it refers to the 2nd one).
I have already contacted support on GOG and they confirmed that my keys are valid: they also suggested to ask help to an administrator of the server. How can I get in touch with them?
What else shall I do?
Mr_Otyugh

Posted by Mr_Otyugh »

Sorted via discord.