A Response To Poor Richard's Latest Column

*Cadence

Posted by *Cadence »

wrote:Dear Poor Richard,

I really thought you were different.

Your first article about the nauseating self-righteousness of "team good" and your second article regarding the way the Athar conveniently hide in the Cage from the other powers were hard-hitting and resonated with a cutter like myself. I had almost come to expect fair writing from you - writing that allowed one to see deep into the issues of the Cage from an objective standpoint.

But the sample size was too small, and my notions of your talent and impartiality were robbed after I read the third article. I didn't see the brutal honesty and the fresh angle I saw in the first two. I just saw a bunch of Triad talking points. You repeatedly absolved the Triad from murdering people in the streets, but did you hear about the Indep merchants who got booked in the Hive several turns back? Didn't you see Justicar Roth cracking open the skull and debraining a frail old man whose only crime was stealing some apples from the fruit merchant right outside Khazeet's bar several months ago? Take your first article, and substitute "Triad" for "team good" and "good and evil" for "law and chaos."

Your premise is incorrect - the assertion that one side is in the wrong while the other is in the right: or that one side is somehow a lesser evil. Both the Triad and the Revs have blood on their hands, and neither really care about you, me, or anyone.  If you're in the bazaar, the Triad are indeed the ones keeping the peace. If you're in the Grey District of the Hive - the Revs are the ones doing just that.

This isn't quite about you picking a side, it's about your willing submission into a mode of thinking. You want to be safe, and you think the only way to do that is to accept the safety offered by those who impose their way of thinking on you. Do not be satisfied with "just listen to these cutters, at least they wont harm you if you follow what they say." The Anarchists wont harm you either- so long as you follow their mode of thinking. Don't settle for this weak rationalization to accept anyone's influence imposed on you - be they Rev or Triad.

Demand more for yourself.

-Roy Berghez
-Contributer