The Unknown Dragon

*Sapper_Woody

Posted by *Sapper_Woody »

Chapter 18 - Moving Forward

He pulled the silver chain, from which hung a golden ring, from around his neck. He sat there in silence, the minutes ticking by as he looked at it, his indecision mounting. Many times he willed himself to put the chain into the dresser drawer, but did not. And many times he nearly slipped it back around his neck, but did not. He set the chain with the ring on the table, and looked at it.
   "What do I do?" he said out loud. He thought back to a few minutes, or perhaps hours ago at this point. He had walked Lewre to the door of her room. They had had a scare when Lewre had fallen during training. He had given her a hug before she walked through the door.

"I'm glad you weren't hurt today," he said. "I've grown pretty fond of you." She gave him a little extra squeeze in the hug in response.
   "Lewre," he continued, "I have one more question for you, before you head into your room."
   "Yes, James?" she responded in her sweet voice. He had thought of trying to get out of saying anything more after telling her that he had a question, but hearing his name on her lips steeled his resolve.
   "Would you be scared away if I told you that I think that I loved you?"
   The seconds seemed like lifetimes to James as he waited on her answer. Each heartbeat that went by while waiting on her response he thought for sure his heart would stop. She was trembling slightly, but he couldn't be sure why. Finally, her lips parted and she spoke.
   "No, James," she said. "I wouldn't be scared away."
   "Good," he smiled at her. "Because I'm pretty sure I do. Good night, Lewre."
   "Good night, James." And with that, she was gone through the door.

All that had been said while he was wearing that chain, with that ring. Visible reminders of his love for Belle. Once he got back to his room, he took the silver chain from his neck. And here he was.

Finally, he picked the chain up from the table. He walked to the dresser. He opened up the top drawer and placed the chain into it. He looked down at the chain and the ring.
   "Belle," he said. "You were my first love. There will always be a special place in my heart for you. And you will never be forgotten."
   He continued. "I will never try to replace you with someone. It wouldn't be fair to your memory, and it wouldn't be fair to them. But it's time to move on. I can never truly give someone the love they deserve while looking back to you. And so... while you will never be forgotten... I must close that chapter of my life, and open a new one."

And with that, he closed the drawer. Though a tear fell from his eye, a smile was on his lips. He turned to get undressed for bed, and a thought went through his mind.

"Lewre, I'm ready to love you."
*Sapper_Woody

Chapter 20 - Muzzle Rubs and a Gift

James took Lewre out training nearly every day. And then after training, they'd stop by Daisy's for a pastry. It had become their routine. They'd go train, and then eat a pastry, and then visit with others. Things had been moving along nicely. James and Lewre now shared a room in Chirper's, Lewre's training was coming along, and things were good. On one such training session, Lewre stopped for a second.
   "James," she said. "Could you lower your head so I can kiss your muzzle?"
   James smiled and lowered his head, allowing Lewre to kiss him on the muzzle, just below his eyes. And he was surprised at how good that felt. He figured he'd enjoy it, but this was not what he expected at all. He looked to her, a little shocked at how much he had enjoyed it.
   "I like that," he said simply.
   "I hoped you would," she replied. And then they continued. A little while later, Lewre stopped yet again.
   "Could you lower your head again, Love?" she asked.
   "Certainly," James smiled at her. He had enjoyed that first kiss so much, and was looking forward to another. This time, however, Lewre put her blades away and began rubbing his muzzle, her fingers working up to his forehead, and down to his nose. It felt so amazing! James closed his eyes, relaxed, and was shocked at the noise he was making. Lewre would later describe as "purring like a kitten", but James preferred to call it a "contented growl".
   "You like that, Love?" Lewre asked.
   "Mmhmm," was the response. James didn't even bother opening his eyes. Lewre kept rubbing his muzzle, and James was content to let her. Finally, she stopped.
   "Shall we get back to work?" she asked. James opened his eyes, blinking a few times, feeling like he had just woken from a dream.
   "Hmm?" he said groggily. "Oh! Right. Yes." And they continued training, though James would swear that he kept catching Lewre grinning at him, pleased that she had found this spot on him. And if he were honest, he was not unhappy about it himself.

The next day after some training, they were in the Beastlands listening to a waterfall. They were discussing some matters between them, and then James suggested they head back.
   "Can we stay here and listen to the water first?" Lewre asked. "You can lay your head in my lap, and I can rub your muzzle." After the feeling he had gotten before, there was no way that James was going to turn that down.
   "I'd like that," he said, and then he laid his head in her lap. She began the motions that she had tried out the previous day, rubbing her fingers along his muzzle, paying more attention this time to the effect it was having. It was not long before that rumbling sound emanated from James' chest again.
   "I could easily fall asleep like this," James said to her. "It's like you are placing a spell on me."
   "Go ahead and sleep, Love," Lewre replied. And so he did, taking a nap in the Beastlands. What a picture they must have made, a copper dragon sleeping with his head on this beautiful human woman.

James took Lewre to see where the carnival would be the next time it was going to be in town.  This cycle, they had been sitting in the square in the bazaar when Trinessa and Tasha invited a few people to their house for steaks and drinks. James told them that he and Lewre would be there after a quick stop.
   "Here is where the carnival is, when it's in town," James said.
   Lewre looked a little confused. "Nice place for a carnival, I guess."
   "Also," James continued, "Right here is where I give you a special present I had made."
   James pulled out a necklace, with a copper plate that had been tooled to look like a copper dragon. He had gotten Sharon to help him create a sending medallion, so that Lewre could communicate with him if he were away hunting.

James could tell by the moisture in her eyes that he had gotten her a perfect gift.
   "James," she said. "I love it."
   She then turned around and had him fasten the necklace to her. She turned back around, and gave him both a hug and kiss. James smiled. He liked being happy once again, and he loved making his new mate happy.
*Sapper_Woody

Chapter 21 - Love Takes Wing Again

James took Lewre to Karasuthra again. They planned to make good on a dare James had given Lewre during a game of dice to finally fly with him. They had run into Klo on the way there, and had talked about the upcoming flight. She had asked if they were going to use a saddle, and James had told her in no uncertain terms that they were -not- going to use a saddle. Lewre noticed this, and asked him about it in Karasuthra.

"Love," she began. "Why did you seem so indignant when Klo asked about a saddle?"
   "A saddle on a dragon," he replied. "It's just not done. Not by a dragon with pride. We are not mounts."
   "I just... I didn't know," she said. James was afraid that maybe he'd been too harsh in his response. He softened his voice.
   "No," he said to her. "I know you didn't."
   "The thought never even occurred to me until she said something. Thank you for explaining."
   "You won't need one, don't worry," he told her. "Except for the take off, the flight will be so smooth that I think your fear of falling will be gone quickly."

James switched gears for a bit. He had stayed in his humanoid form so far.
   "When we came here, did you assume I would change into a dragon? And would you have been disappointed if I did, or that I did not?"
   "I did not assume either way," she responded. "I figured you'd do what you wanted based on how you felt. I'm not disappointed, and wouldn't have been. I enjoy spending time with you in both forms."
   "Alright," he said. "I want you to know that if you ever want me to change either way, just let me know. I don't think I'd mind."

He then explained to her that when he was in the beastlands, it called to him as a dragon. That in most places, he would be a dragon or a man depending on what he felt like, but here in the beastlands, he actually had to think about -not- shifting into a dragon.
   "I don't mind you changing if you need to, James," Lewre said.
   "I will soon," he replied. "We're going flying after all. And if I change too soon, you may try to put me to sleep with muzzle rubs so I forget about it."
   She laughed. "The thought did cross my mind."

Eventually, though, she did climb onto his back. And true to what James said, the take off was the roughest part of the flight. Beyond that everything was smooth, with James coasting from one updraft to another. He kept them up there for a while; even though he'd have liked to stay longer, he didn't want to stay up there too long with Lewre's fear of falling. He wanted to ease her into it. Once she had dismounted, he looked at her.
   "So, something you'll want to do again?" he asked hopefully.
   She returned his smile. "I believe so."
   "If you ever just want to fly, let me know. I'll take you up anytime."

*Sapper_Woody

Chapter 22 - The Proposal

He had been planning for days. Writing notes, coming up with riddles, thinking of locations. He finally settled on three locations, with Elysium being the last. He carefully wrote out the riddles. He had planned on having Trin, Tasha, and Sharon help with it, but the timing just didn't seem to work out. So he went and left the notes in the locations he had planned.
   He decided to send Lewre on a scavenger hunt, of sorts. It was to start wherever they were. Then send her to Karasuthra, where they had their first date. Then the Gymnasium Baths, where they had their first kiss. Then Daisy's, where they went often to get pastries. And finally he would be waiting for her in Elysium, ring in hand, with a speech ready to propose to her.
   He wrote out the clue for Karasuthra. "The twinkling lights inspire love, not hate. Go to the place where we had our first date."
   Then the Gymnasium Baths. "Hot water made for good, relaxing times. Head where we said 'I love you first', then practiced flying."
   For Daisy's. "After a good training, you like to eat something tasty. Head to the place where we get you a pastry."
   Finally, Elysium. "Finally, a relaxing day we reach. Come find me lying on the beach."

The notes were placed. They were in their apartment at Chirper's. James looked to Lewre.
   "Love, I want to play a game."
   "Okay. What game?" she asked.
   "A scavenger hunt. I've got clues for you." he responded.
   "Oh, that sounds like fun!" She replied. He placed a note on the table.
   "Here is the first clue. Give me a few minutes and then read it. I'll see you at the end."

He then went to Elysium and waited. It seemed like forever to him. He pulled out the ring, a simple white gold band with a single diamond, with copper etchings that read "Lian Poieondran", or "My Beauty" in draconic. He rehearsed his speech a few times, pacing. His heart skipped a beat as he finally saw her walking towards him on the path.
   When she neared him, he smiled. He pulled her close.
   "You found me," he said.
   "I did," she replied. "Do I get a prize?"
   "Well," he began, "If you count a speech as a prize."
   "I thought maybe you had picked up a pastry at Daisy's," she smiled at him. "But a speech will work."

He then began his rehearsed speech.
   "Lewre, we've known each other for what some would say is not a very long time. But when I look into your eyes, time means nothing. It stands still, leaving only our two hearts intertwined. I have come to live for your smile, the sight of which brings joy to me. I love your hair, I love your nose and your ears. I love everything about you. And as happy as you've already made me, I am going to ask you something that would elevate my levels of happiness."
   At this point, he got down on his knee, pulling out the ring.
   "Lewre, would you please marry me?"

… she said yes.
*Sapper_Woody

Chapter 23 - Research

She didn't want him to have to go through the pain of losing another mate. He didn't want her to die millennia before he did. They talked it out, and decided to look at routes to extending a human's life. After all, this was Sigil. The place where anything could happen.

There was an immediate, obvious answer. Immortality. But in his mind, that defeated the purpose. It would simply take the pain of losing a mate away from him, and place it on her. Still, she insisted that she'd take that burden for him. So they looked into it. But he decided that the most accessible route to immortality, vampirism, was a bad idea. Their favorite places and things to do together would be out, due to either the sun, or running water. She told him she'd keep it as a last resort; he asked her to not have it as a resort at all. She agreed.

They learned of a ritual whereby someone could become a different race entirely. ((Savage Species, pp 145-151)). They also knew of someone who had been human, and had become part dragon. So they went to that person to get some questions about that answered. It wasn't exactly the path that they were looking for, however. They did learn of a place in Toril that might hold some more answers, though. A great library, in the ruins of a mage's academy. They began to do research there, and to talk to others to find out what they knew.

The research was long and grueling, but they were making progress. They didn't quite have all the answers, but it felt like they were getting close. One thing they knew for sure: it wasn't going to be easy, and it wasn't going to be cheap. This was not something to take lightly.
*Sapper_Woody

Chapter 24 - Home At Last, Again

The day had finally come. James had been saving for months, going out nearly every cycle to treasure hunt. He began taking Lewre out with him, so that she could contribute, too. Months of saving, planning, talking to contractors; it had all finally paid off. The day to move into their house had finally arrived.

James got the keys and waited for Lewre. When he saw her, he smiled big and showed her the keys. There had been a small issue that needed worked on, so they couldn't go in just yet. But later that day they stepped inside. They ran from room to room, Lewre seeing a lot of the rooms for the first time, and James finally seeing his vision of what it would look like coming to life.
   From the office, to the theater, to the master bedroom, to the spa, and to the pillow fort room. They went from place to place, excited. They began talking of parties they would host, of the friends they would have over, and of the dinners they'd plan. Of all the rooms, Lewre loved the pillow fort room the best, just as James had hoped she would. He had it added in just for her. James had also added a few things he didn't tell her about before hand. Some delighted her. Others embarrassed her.

At the end of the day, they lied down in their bed, in their home. James still owned a home in Toril. But his thoughts were far from there, lying in bed with the woman he loved in his arms. That home was his and Belle's home. This home was his and Lewre's. A new start. A new home. A place for the two of them to make memories where he hadn't yet.
*Sapper_Woody

Chapter 25 - Research, Part 2

It had been a long month of researching, talking to arcanists, traveling to Toril and back. They had pieced together notes from various texts. Finding information in one tome, and comparing it to information in another tome. They got lucky and found a quite a bit of information on the ritual they were looking for. But they still had to piece together the missing information from other sources. It was meticulous work, sometimes finding promising leads that ended up being dead ends. But they worked diligently, piecing the puzzle together; knowing that getting a piece of this puzzle wrong could mean life or death.

They believed they were getting close. It didn't all make sense to them, not being arcanists themselves. They knew they were going to need some reagents, but weren't sure exactly what yet. Then there was the small matter of finding someone capable of performing the ritual. They were getting ever closer. But still had so far to go.
*Sapper_Woody

Chapter 26 - Research - Part 3

A tower, in the 9th circle. That was the next destination. James knew this wouldn't be easy. After all, if it were easy, people would do this all the time. But he didn't quite expect it would be this difficult, still. They heard about this tower that sounded promising. So they hired a mage to create a portal to the circle, and off they went.

They were nearly immediately assaulted by a group of skeletons. James found a stone on one of the leaders. He couldn't tell what it was, but he took it with him, as he could tell it was magical. They continued on to the tower, where it seemed the door was sealed. The stone in James' pocket began to get warm. He pulled it out of his pocket, where it grew too hot to hold. He dropped it on the ground, where it began levitating, spinning around them. Then, they were suddenly in a room. It appeared to be a chapel of some kind, perhaps to a warrior deity. They saw no way back, so they pressed forward.

Inside, they were assaulted by shadows, great and small. They found a huge meeting room, capable to seating 80 people comfortably. In an offshoot room, they faced a decrepit golem. They continued down some stairs, where they faced more golems and some clockwork bugs. In their search, they ran into some death knights and more skeletons. They found what appeared to be a barracks of some kind. They continued searching, room by room, yet again descending a staircase. This time they were on the ground floor. It seemed the stone had taken them to the top of the tower. On this floor, they discovered that the stairs to the basement had collapsed. Fortunately, they found the library on the ground floor. It had a few inhabitants that needed cleared out.

They searched the library. Most of the texts were completely unreadable, but thankfully while James only discovered a dissertation on the mating habits of the ethereal shrew, Lewre's keen eyes caught some text in a journal that appeared important. It seemed the author had found exactly the ritual that James and Lewre were looking for. What was unfortunate, is that the entry in the text said that dragons had stolen the research, to keep the author from becoming one. There was a long list of draconic names. There was also a list of reagents, though it was incomplete.

They were one step closer, but searching for these dragons to find what they knew was not something that James was looking forward to.
*Sapper_Woody

Chapter 27 - The House Warming Party

The long awaited day of fun had arrived! With the house built, and James and Lewre settled in, they opened their home for their first party. The party doubled as a house warming party and open house. A masseuse was hired for the spa, as well as a bar tender for the "bartrium".

First to arrive was Loth, followed by Frin, Derik, Lannia, Torkin and Eva. Once people were shown to the pillow fort room, havoc broke loose.

After the pillow fight, people settled into the "Bartrium", sipping various drinks and enjoying conversation.

The party eventually settled into the spa. James wasn't sure of the depth of the water, but it ended up being perfectly high for both short and tall.

After the spa, the party went back to the Bartrium where, as many parties do, dice was played. People continued to come and go throughout the evening. All in all, it was a successful party, and James and Lewre enjoyed the break from their research.
*Sapper_Woody

Chapter 28 - Random Thoughts

Things were going great. Their research was coming along, they had their next goal. James and Lewre were planning parties at the house, both a ladies' night that Ronja was putting together and Lewre's birthday. There seemed to always be something going on, whether it was watching Affmar try to sell cake for 25 platinum a slice, or heading out on a double date with Trin and Tasha, or even just relaxing by the fire in the square and chatting with people. But James couldn't help but feel that there was an air of discontent over so many people.
   Some had straight up told him that they were facing boredom. Others, he was getting the sense that they were bored. And Lewre had been pushing him to contact his mother again. And that opened a can of worms in his thoughts.
   He hid it well. Most people never would never know, even Lewre, if he had his way. The problem was, he couldn't tell Lewre without seeming like he was throwing himself a pity party. That's what this was, right? Self pity? Or was he justified in his thoughts? He had tried to tell Lewre that his mother may have had a good reason for abandoning him; but that he may get to know her and find out that she didn't. And she latched onto that as his reason for being hesitant to contact his mother again. Lewre wasn't wrong... but she didn't know everything. And James didn't want her to. But he began feeling as if maybe she should. Maybe she would be more understanding and patient.

He thought back. And the feelings of abandonment and failure washed over him again. His mother had abandoned him when he went to prison. He must not have been good enough to be her son. Violet had tossed him aside when he tried to help her. He must not have been a good enough friend. And even his Kilimydryrai, his gemstone, Belle. She hadn't responded to the pleas and cries to return her soul to her body and come back to him. He must not have been a good enough mate.

He tried to shake himself out of this self pity. He hated being there. He hated being in a place of self loathing. This wasn't him. He was a cocky, Sunite bard; not someone with a defeatist attitude. And so he would look for his mother at the behest of Lewre. He wouldn't drive her away as he had so many other women in his life. He sat down and began writing out some words on a parchment. He only had 25 words for the sending, and he had to make them count. Or perhaps... perhaps he could purposely do it poorly, so that his mother wouldn't respond. Problem solved.

No. He could never be dishonest like that with Lewre. It may be painful to confront his mother. But it would be worse if he hurt Lewre. And so he looked at the blank parchment in front of him, and he began to write. "This is your son, James. . . "