Warrior In the Middle

*artemitavik

Posted by *artemitavik »

((story built with DM Hera's notes, who went on Hiatus before being able to complete the second part of the event. Also direct tie in to 9/16/17 post of Lannia Tannen, viewtopic.php?f=153&t=56171&start=15))

Derik stepped into the house he shared with his fiancé Lannia with a bundle of things from the market. She was already home, but in a suit of armor he did not recognize. He gave her an odd look as he put the items down "New armor, or just reworked what you had?" he asks her.

“It’s ceremonial,” She answered, “No time to explain. Gear up. We are going to Rauthym.”

Derik paused and frowned. "What? Now? I'm not sure that's a good idea." He began in protest. "We are hardly any level of prepared." However, she continued and strapped her shield across her back. After she explained that she had more visions and Cider said it was time, he began to strap on his gear.

"We should at least take a couple of the others with us." he reasoned as his own weapons were being strapped on. He remembered the prior vision of Cider she had told him about, the spirit wolf she often traveled with in combat. While hopeful, it also had been a warning. "This is sudden and reckless and if we don't watch our step over there, it'll be the last steps we take and nothing will get accomplished."

She slid her greatsword, her longsword, and her best bow into place across her back. She packed healing kits, potions, and an arsenal of arrows. She looked to Derik and said, “You have always believed in me… Believe in me now. It is time to face him and to stand before the world tree.”

Derik smiled back at her. "I always have, and I always will. I will go with you, and I will support you."

As the pair walked outside she spoke about her latest visions. She told Derik her entire family tree, from Arlen Jerrogeon to herself. She grabbed ahold of him and whispered, “We will have more time to talk when this is done my warrior.”

"We will... " he smiled. "Let's get done what we need to do..."

She touched the plant by their home and the pair disappeared in a whirlwind of leaves to travel to the island of Ruathym. Once again they found themselves in the port village. Lannia walked to the town center. She had no fear this time, looking upon the faces of her people. She was no lost girl. She was a woman, a shaman with a divine purpose. 

“I am Lannia Tannen!” She announced confidently as ripples of disgusted whispers spread through the crowd. 

“SILENCE!” She howled, “My family is falsely accused and I demand my right to trial by challenge! I call out Uther Jerrogeon! Bring the snake to face me!”

While this took place, Derik's brown eyes scanned the crowd and their reactions. He stood a little to her right and behind her. He was no Northman, but the powerfully built and heavily armed warrior's demeanor and gaze left little doubt to any onlookers that any attempts to refuse the right she claimed and remove her from the village would not be met by her alone. His right hand twitched slightly as he caught the eyes of one such possible threat with his own and a look that almost dared him to try it. The man stared back at Derik's level gaze, then looked away. The moment had passed. He turned his attention back to Lannia, who was still addressing the crowd.

All around the pair the shocked whispers of the populace were heard. No one dared to challenge the head of the temple of Umberlee. Everywhere they spoke of how small she was. The madness must indeed be deep in her veins to challenge Uther. 

Still, some time passed and a ripple of activity shook the crowd in the distance. Finally people parting before a procession. At last a group of barbarians baring the symbol of Umberlee broke through the crowd into the square. The first two stopped, looked at her, and laughed. The taunted her for her small frame, and she snarled. Derik started to take a step forward to deal with the taunters, his fingers curling around the hilt of Warwake over his right shoulder, but was stopped as Lannia spoke up first.

“I will prove my strength,” She growled, “Stand aside and let Uther face me… If he is not a coward.”

Derik let his hand drop and stepped back to his previous position.

The guards filed into the square and created a human perimeter. One crossed Derik's chest with the haft of his spear, pushing the man back towards the rest of the crowd. The man's eyes narrowed, a quiet and low growl coming from his chest and throat. Lannia knew what that was and what it meant. Catching his eyes, she smiled at him and he relaxed, allowing the guard to put him in the front of the crowd some ways away from the redheaded woman.

Finally, Uther emerged. He was as big as any northman. He stood almost two heads taller than her and he drew a great two-handed axe from his back. He looked at her and chuckled.

“When they told me my mad brothers mad grand-daughter was back from the dead I laughed at them,” Uther said as he laughed, “But as I look on you now, there can be no doubt. Little Lani… How about a hug for your dear old great uncle?”

The tone was mocking. He spread his massive arms holding the two handed axe in one hand and flexing muscles upon muscles. Lannia stared at him, unflinching. She drew her longsword and her heavy shield and she said, “You set the drow, Marius, upon my village. You betrayed your own blood and he destroyed my village. He uses mind magic to hold my brother as her held me… As he forced my grandfather to slaughter his loved ones.”

Uther looked upon her with a cocky half smile, “Quite a story, little Lani.”

“Don’t call me that!” She shouted, “You -never- call me that! You were jealous of your brother, and WEAK! You called him upon us and now you will answer for your crime.”

She called the spirits of the storm and fire to her. Lightning licked from her form, twisting around flames as blinding as the sun. The crowd and the guards took a step back and she watched Uther’s expression lose confidence. She called the howling frozen winds to her blade and held it at his eye level. 

Derik just smiled, knowing full well the capability of the young woman when she called such spirits to her aid.

“I am Lannia Tannen,” She said confidently, “Daughter of Imogen and Carlin, granddaughter of Arlen and Tamara. I am a shaman like my grandfather before me. My grandfather… Who’s love was powerful enough to break the drow’s enchantment and save me that I might return to face the man who soiled my family name. I am here for you, Uther. I am here for my family name!” 

She took a single step toward him, the ice on her blade crackling, the flames and lightning snapping around her, and blinding furious light pouring from her eyes. Uther took a step back and his voice cracked, “W-wait… I am much bigger than you, little girl, you sure you want to do this?”

Truly a fool and a coward, thought Derik, or he would know size does not equal valor. Lannia, who fought yeti, yuan-ti, and giants, would destroy him in seconds when weapons clashed.

“Trial by challenge,” she chanted and took another step the crowd joined her. 

“Trial by challenge, trial by challenge, trial by challenge!”

Derik's voice joined the chorus. This was how such thing should be done, how battles should be fought. To the heart and head of the enemy. Quickly, decisively.

“I am the head of the temple of Umberlee!” He squeaked, “I am twice your size, don’t be a fool girl!”

She flew at him, her sword came down as his mighty axe came up. He shrieked as the blaze around her burned his forearms. When the lightning cracked at his weapon he was forced to drop it. It hit the ground with a clang and he hit his knees, “M-Mercy… MERCY! I yield!”

She brought her sword over her head snarling at him. He held his hands up over his face and began to beg, “I admit it! I gave information to the drow named Marius. I swear on the waves that did not know what he would do with it. I didn’t know you were alive! I swear I would have come for you! Please! I swear I didn’t know! Please!”

The growl resonated from deep in her stomach, and her sword began it’s decent.

Derik quickly realized she was about to kill the man. The man who had just yielded. Kill him in front of an entire village of witnesses. It would be tantamount to murder and would confirm her family name as cursed berserkers, not clear them. 

"LANNIA!" He shouted out. At the last moment, her sword diverted and the tip struck the ground but Uther.

She breathed deeply as the spirits left her. She looked into the terrified eyes of her uncle and said, “I will not lower myself to soak my blade in your filthy blood… Serpent, live in your shame, live knowing you couldn’t touch me, not even if you spent the whole of your existence trying to amass the power. You are hereby relieved of your post guarding the sapling of the world tree. If you are seen near it again, I will personally hunt you down… and end you. When you close your eyes, when you look into your darkest nightmares… Remember my face.”

As Uther cowered before the young woman half his size, eyes flicked to his side just momentarily. Flush with victory and the restoration of her birthright, Derik wasn't sure Lannia noticed. Derik did however, and his eyes flicked to his left where he spotted one of the original two barbarians who had taunted her. He was in a line almost directly behind Lannia, slowly drawing a dagger from his belt. A dagger that gleamed with a damp, greenish sheen.

Taking the two steps to his left that covered the distance to the man as he reached the front of the crowd, Derik's hand clamped down on his and tightened. Derik might not be a Northman, but his own strength was considerable and the barbarian's knuckles made a few popping sounds, eliciting a wince from the would-be assassin. 

"I don't think that would be a good idea." Derik whispered to him quietly. The barbarian nodded, the dagger disappearing back into the sheath as Derik let go of the now bruised hand.

Meanwhile, Uther crawled away and his followers scattered after him as the crowd began to cheer and become rowdy. Lannia held her sword high and howled as Derik watched the assassin slink away to then turned to regard his fiance, “I go to the sapling of the world tree." she called out. "My sight is true and will lead me! If any remain that doubt the purity of my family name I invite them to come. Bear witness as I am judged and carve my name beside the name of my grandfather. Arlen Jerrogeon!”

And so a procession followed as much to be a part of the party that would surely erupt as to see if she would be judged pure by the world tree. The whole of them stood at its mighty base. As far as she looked to the right and to the left, she could not see the end of its massive trunk. 

She removed her glove, and by some magic she found herself directly before her grandfather’s name. She placed a hand upon his name and wept... 

And so her name joined his on the great tree, she left raised upon the shoulders of her Northman brethren, carried off with Derik to drink and celebrate. 

During the party Derik never left her side as she received toast and praise after praise and toast. He said little really, though he often had his arm around her. One thing he did say was a soft whisper, only for her while they danced to the merry, hardy music of the Ruathym islanders. "I am so very proud of you, my beloved Flame of my Soul..."

The next morning Derik teleported them home. There were only two days left before their wedding.
*artemitavik

Posted by *artemitavik »

Derik stood in his tent in the northern farmlands and smoothed out his doublet after fastening Warwake this his hip. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, then adjusted the leather headband that decorated his brow. Closing his eyes he reflected on the last few days.

After a magical trip to Ruathym, he watched Lannia restore her family honor and name, restoring her own confidence and spirit in the process. ((see prior posting)).

Just yesterday a man, Haldred the Axe, had arrived also pursuing Lannia's hand for a marriage of convenience. A massive, hulking Northman warrior who sought to ally himself with her bloodline to bring renown to him and his offspring. Derik had of course taken exception to this and there had been a formal challenge and a friendly fight according to the Ruathym tradition. A fight Derik had won. ((viewtopic.php?f=153&t=56171&start=15, 9/19/17 posting)) Derik smiled to himself. That was the fight that Lannia's grandfather's spirit had spoken of to gain the family blessing on marrying Lannia. He would know, the spirit had said, when it was the proper time. Now there was no denying it from any tradition, she had chosen him, he had proved himself, and it was his right to marry her.

The signal was given and Derik stepped out of his tent to the walkway that was lined with softly glowing globes. Turning to his right he saw those lined up, friends and family, Gaven, Vala, her parents, Cillian, Gunthar, Wren and Max, Fierlith, his parents and sister, numerous others known for a long time or recently met. As he proceeded he fixed his eyes on the alter inside the gazebo. Freya stood there behind it, waiting. He stopped just before the alter and stepped to the right, turning to face the middle. His left hand rested lightly on Warwake's hilt as he turned his head back down the walkway. Music started.

The first to approach was Ronja, the Maid of Honor. She was adorned in an elegant red gown with black trim. Derik had to admit, she looked pretty good in that. Ronja stopped and took her position to the left of the alter and slightly behind where the bride would stand. Shortly thereafter two more forms started down the walkway. Aidan Thatcher strolled down with Lannia on his arm. 

Derik's eyes fell on her and his heart skipped a beat. She was absolutely exquisite, adorned in a flowing white gown with golden trim. Her hair still windswept but decorated by a golden tiara holding green gemstones. The rest of the world faded as she approached.

The fading of music and a female voice snapped him back to reality.

"Lurues grettings." Freya began as she looked Aidan, smiling warmly. "Who comes to give Lannia away into marriage to this man?" Her look pointed to Derik.

"I, Aidan Thatcher, her father." Came the reply. Derik mused slightly at the now legal truth in that statement. Less than an hour before the ceremony Aidan had asked Lannia to sign some papers that named him legally adopted father. Though only 5 or so years younger than the Sunite, she was now his daughter in a very real and legally binding sense.

Freya smiled and motioned to Aidan, who then brought Lannia to the alter fully and stepped aside to take his place opposite Ronja as the Best Man in the ceremony. Derik turned to face his bride and once again, the world consisted only of her, her gorgeous blue eyes, and bright smile.

Freya then looked to the gathered people, still smiling. "Dear relatives and friends of Lannia and Derik. We have come together to be witnesses of a wonderful occasion. We’ll celebrate the commitment they share with one another by the Handfasting, the wedding between these lovely two."

This once more snapped Derik to reality. From the corner of his eye he could see Vala's incredibly wide smile and Wren, who was as directly opposite him in the crowd as could be give a silently mouthed "Way to go, neighbors!" from behind Lannia's back.

Frey then offered Lannia a smile. "As Chauntea likes it you planted something in Derik with love, like a tree it will grow stronger as it already is." then smiled to Derik. "Tempus helped you, to win the battle for Lannias’ heart and will always give you the strength to keep it." She looked at both, "And Lurue has seen, through all dangers and adversities in your lives, you made the impossible possible. You are standing here under the sight of the gods. Please join hands."

The couple stepped forward to the center of the alter taking hands. Again Freya's look shifte to Derik as she wraped his hand and wrist tightly with a silver cord. "Derik, now speak your vows to Lannia."

Never taking his attention from the blue-eyed gaze before him, Derik began, "Lannia, we met upon a beach, not looking for anything from another. Yet as I grew to know you, I realized that you were a part of my soul that I did not know I was missing. "

As he spoke, Lannia's smile grew even brighter. Derik continued, "You are my Strength of Purpose. You are the reason I go to war, and why I fight so hard to return. My shield will ever be your shelter, my blade ever stay off those who would harm you. I am for you, now and always. My strength is yours to command."

A single tear rolled down Lannia's cheek as Derik indicated silently to Freya his vows were concluded.

Smiling brightly, Freya then shifted to Lannia, binding her hand and wrist together with his, with the same silver cord. "Lannia, now speak your vows to Derik."

Lannia nodded to Freya and began, staring into Derik's eyes. "In the time we've been together, from when you saved me on the beach until now, there are infinite little moments I coudl have picked to illustrate and make this vow. " her voice trembled with emotion as she continued, "But the moments till now are just a prologue, and what really matters is everything that is till to come. Simply, if ever there came a time you didn't want me near, I would just have to love you from whatever distance you demanded. When I am happiest, I share my happiness with you. When I am sad, your are the arms I run to. When I want, need, or crave, yours are the only lips that satisfy. When I think of my future children they are yours.

Derik gazed into her eyes, smiling broadly and squeezing her hands in his as she concluded, "Derik Ranloss, I am yours. I am for you in every moment. Every happiness, every disappointment I share with you. All that was and all that remains. Ours is a love that will be always. We are a team and all that really matters is looking back at me. ... that and, you know... The dozen or so grandchildren Aidan has demanded." 

This elicited some chuckles and quipped comments from the crowd towards Aidan who stood behind and to the left of Derik. Derik and Aidan also chuckles as Lannia gave them a wink and indicated to Freya she was done.

"Your promise lives in you." Freya said. "It will live on in your children and their children. What the gods bring together, no one shall part. By Lurue and Chauntea and Tempus, you are now husband and wife." A wave of her hand and a wave positive energy rolled over the place.

Freya winked to the groom and grined, overly happy for them both. "You may smooch your bride!"

Derik pulled her to him for a long, deep kiss amongst the clapping and cheers of the crowd of their family and friends. Linking her arm into his, he turned and strolled from the alter, leading the procession to the dancing area for the beginning of the reception.

Soon the dance began, a lilting song that invited the couple to keep a close hold. They didn't need much encouragement. A song about love and stories. It made Derik chuckle quietly as he whispered to his bride, 

"Heh... song about stories... I have read a lot of books you know..." The reference to Derik's taunt of the three pirates that were trying to kidnap Lannia on the first day they was not lost to her.

"It was that line that near instantly sold me on you, you smoothy" Came the whispered reply.

"Yeah, thought it was pretty clever actually."

"It was..."

As the tune came to an end, Derik kissed Lannia yet again, whispering "Can always give the pirates their due... they started the whole "classic hero" stuff..."

"Time for the father dance dear..."

"Yes, I know." Derik murmured quietly to her as he stepped away from her and to the ring of the onlookers. 

Shortly after, a surprised Aidan is being nudged into the dancing circle with Lannia by Antje while Derik took up a spot next to Talas with a smirk. The Sunite had not been told this was taking place. Chatting lightly with the Hoarite paladin, Derik watched as Aidan danced with his adopted daughter, now Derik's wife. He chatted with Talas about the beauty of brides, heard Wren and Max banter about how it was hopefully soon their turn and that they had waited long enough. He watched his family and friends, and he was beyond content.

As the floor opened up for others wishing to dance, Aidan called out to the crowd, "Antje and I have a toast, rather an announcement. We were trying to decide what to get the bride and groom, as a wedding gift."

Eyes turned to regard the man as he spoke.

"And we've known for a while that Lannia is an amazing cook." He continued. "So we were trying to decide how to get her a better kitchen. We did a bit of looking, and we think we found one." 

"She is NOT moving in with you!" Derik heckled from the crowd, standing next to Lannia.

"One catch." Aidan said as he kept going, more or less ignoring Derik's comment, "Sadly.... unfortunately... It's attached to the Last Anchor. So our wedding gift to you Lannia, Derik.... We're gifting you the Anchor."

Lannia's jaw dropped and Derik blinked, having been caught totally off-guard. "<Holy Damn...>" Derik recited quietly in Draconic to himself.

"I told you, there was a reason the adoption was important, dear." Aidan explained as Lannia squealed and tackle-hugged Aidan and Antje. Derik just blinked a few more times, giving Aidan the satisfaction of being one of the few times the swordsman was caught completely off guard and unprepared, to which Aidan just smirked at him.

There were other reactions from the crowd to this news, but Derik didn't really register them until Talas tugged his arm, "Aye, can I borrow you, Derik? Ronja said something about some sparring. Just wanted to go over what you had in mind."

"Oh, sure Talas." Derik responded and followed him to the Arena. There they chatted a bit about how spars would go and what rules if any would happen. Derik made some rounds, greeted guests, and eventually returned to the Arena to speak more to Talas. A bit about Bladestone was discussed. Derik mentioned that the Moradin blessed axe that Adelaide had used to defeat Mother Night before she was herself struck down and carried off by some unknown Celestial some months back had begun to glow brighter. Derik had kept his friend's weapon on his wall, and the magic had always caused it to shimmer, but now it was brightening noticeably. Talas was very interested in that, but neither of them knew what it could mean.

At some point in the conversation, Ronja arrived to announce she was there to take Derik to a wedding surprise. Talas sighed a sigh of relief, "Ye sent a paladin to distract someone Ronja. Ye know that was gonna end poorly."

Derik looked confused as Ronja stepped forward, taking his arm, "Come! You are kidnapped."

She took Derik to a bench by a fire, on which he plopped down as ordered, munching happily from his plate of food. 

"Que the drummers!" Ronja called. "Drummers?" Derik asked, looking between Vala and Ronja. "What did you two do?"

And then he saw his surprise. Adorned in a somewhat revealing, deep red ceremonial outfit, and carrying a sword, Lannia appeared from a tent. Derik's eyes were immediately riveted to her.

She dropped a tomato across the blade to show its razor edge...

Sirion and Gunthar summoned massive Omni-elementals to the surprise and astonishment of the crowd.

Derik just put down his plate.

And then the dance began. A dance somewhere between a traditional tribal belly dance and a weapon kata as Lannia moved around the fire, the elementals mirroring her as much as possible. Derik's eyes simply followed, completely entranced. He leaned, chin on fist, elbow on crossed leg as he watched his wife dance for him. He commented a few times on her loveliness, part of an ongoing game of flirting whenever one did something like this for the other. A few of the crowed looked at each other in confusion though as it appeared Derik had forgotten to say those things in the Common tongue. Instead he spoke a smooth Draconic, never taking his eyes off the dancing woman.

Halfway through the dance, she balanced the flat of the blade on her head, performing several spins and shimmies with it there before retrieving it and resuming the dance as she had before. It ended with the blade sunk into the ground before Derik's sitting place, her foot on the hilt as she leaned over towards him.

"<Hello there, gorgeous>" The Draconic words were spoken as Derik leaned forward, hand now in her hair behind her head and pulling her down to give her a long kiss.

The rest of the night... pretty much was a blurr from that point. Lannia soon departed, completely exhausted from being up very, very early to help set up the ceremony. Derik stayed to host the guests. There were several spars, mostly the Hoarites fighting each other. Ronja beat the snot out of Talas, which was amusing. Then some idle chatter. A lot of food eating, though Wren kept stealing things from his plate. The Hoarites had some sort of internal political and philosophical debate, most of which Derik ignored, chatting with other folk at the arena. At some point Gunthar popped over to them and they had some sort of screaming match about letter verses spirit of the law, and Gunthar declaring himself above the law in his actions. Derik had no idea what was going on so wasn't wholly concerned.

The party winding down, Derik made his last rounds. The decorations were cleaned. A few more conversations were had and idle chatter made. 

Then, Derik decided change into traveling clothes at the townhouse and stop off at the Muse on his way to Ulgoth's Beard and the Last Anchor to join Lannia for their wedding night and departure for their honeymoon. He strolled up the stairs and pushed the door open.....
*artemitavik

Posted by *artemitavik »

....Derik decided change into traveling clothes at the townhouse and stop off at the Muse on his way to Ulgoth's Beard and the Last Anchor to join Lannia for their wedding night and departure for their honeymoon. He strolled up the stairs and pushed the door open.....

... And stopped dead 10 steps into the room. The tension was so thick you could cut it. Ronja and Luke were on the far side of the bar, Ronja still dressed from the wedding. A Red Knight devotee named Aaron sat at the bar. Luke stalked towards the stage and Derik's eyes followed. On the couch sat Cillian and one other, and for a moment he thought he was seeing ghosts.

Adelaide van de Saer.

As elegant as ever, though perhaps a bit more frail looking and tired, she sat on the couch with the half-elf rogue. Luke stopped at the front of the stage, eyes on the woman. Cillian got up and crossed the room to the now-frozen Ronja, drawing her into the kitchen. Derik stood transfixed as he watched, though he couldn't really focus on the conversation. She asked Luke to come sit with her, though he refused. There was some yelling. He was angry. Angry that she had gone to her death knowingly, angry that she was now back after he had managed to come to terms and move on. The conversation continued. Derik's mind whirled as he put details into place.

The Celestial. The one that had taken Adelaide from his arms after the defeat of the Mother Night. It was her ancestor some generations back. He had taken her to the Plane where Sune resided. There, some sort of restorative magic was done, something that couldn't have been done on the Prime Material. His head swam, and he glanced over at Ronja and Cillian. Leaving the conversation to Luke and Adelaide he went to his Blade-Sister.

She was frozen and numb, terrified that this was the end of her relationship with Luke. Cillian and he tried to reassure her as well as they could. Cillian made tea. Poorly. Eventually Luke stormed downstairs.

"Go," Derik said. "Go to him. He needs you right now." Cillian agreed and finally Ronja moved and followed Luke Darius downstairs. 

Derik moved to speak to Adelaide. The conversation was brief, mostly to assure himself it was indeed Adelaide. Part way, Cillian excused himself.

Derik welcomed her back to the realm of the living as it were. Adelaide assured him this was not the situation she wished, and there was no desire to cause such pain for either Luke or Ronja.

Giving her own blessing for the pair, asking him to tell Ronja privately and then she departed with one more statement: She would not approach the Muse without direct invitation from Luke so that more pain was not caused. She asked Derik to deliver the message, and he agreed, going downstairs after she left.

Luke and Ronja stood in the middle of broken and shattered crates, presumably due to the club that was now laying on the floor. They were talking quietly as Derik was given the wave to approach.

Derik gave Luke the message regarding Adelaide and the Muse, and asked to speak to Ronja. He agreed and went into the office, soon asleep. Derik and Ronja spoke in quiet whispers. She was a wreck, every bit as much as Luke. She doubted everything.

"I don't know which way is up..." she whispered.

"Do you love Luke Darius?" Derik asked.

She nodded, then Derik pointed to the office door behind him. "Then up is that way...."

More discussion was had, and the pair of adopted siblings went upstairs, Ronja feeling guilty that it was Derik's wedding night and here he was, trying to keep Ronja emotionally together. That got him at least a stout.

This is of course, as life would have it, Lannia showed up in full array of kit. Likely ready to tear Derik apart. "What's a girl got to do to have her husband come home at night?"

"I have a good excuse. Would you like to hear it before you kick my arse?"

"Sure." Lannia sat down.

"Adelaide is back."

This stopped his bride dead. "What...?"

Things were further discussed and it was decided that a trip to the Last Anchor was now needed, as the newlyweds now owned it.

So the trio went... and got Ronja royally smashed. They placed the woman on the couch in the study so she could eventually get up and leave as she wished, then retired to their new suite.

"Poor Red..." Lannia lamented. Derik nodded.

They talked a little while longer but, this was their wedding night... and they were leaving for Selune's Bracelet in the morning via teleport so... things progressed from that point as one would expect...

They would deal with the rest of it when they got back.
*artemitavik

Posted by *artemitavik »

The last couple of months had been busy... especially the last few weeks...

Derik Sat in the common room of an inn on the island of Ruathym waiting for the meal he had ordered.  He was an outsider and low priority,  but that's alright, it gave him a few moments to reflect.

So much had happened.  Some months ago he had become engaged to Lannia Tannen, who was in hiding as Lyria at the time.  Vala and Michael had become engaged as well, within days if not hours.  Now that pair was married, it was a fantastic  ceremony, beautifully done.  Herran and Freya had gotten married too.  Lannia was becoming anxious over it...

Then she was in that battle with the demon cultists and her identity came out. No more Lyria, now Lannia his Fiance.  As much as it increased danger, he had to admit that there was satisfaction in introducing her as thus. 

Since then a whirlwind of activity.  Training with Lannia, she joining with Ronja,  Vala, and Freya  in the party planning team, teaching with the Bladestone, the trip to Selune's Bracelet to name a few.  Even a short trip back to Ravensvale. 

Then there was the planning of the trip to Ruathym.  It had taken ages to find a ship, and then had to find a different one.  And then once in the Moonshaes, finding a ferry to Ruathym itself.  It was stressful and aggrivating, but had finally happened.  Lannia had been both excited and nervous. Derik  had  been ... wary but hopeful. He wanted to find her family. He wanted her to be happy. He wanted to ask their permission to marry her. He desperately wanted to be worthy of her...

Upon arrival at the island, everything seemed to be going well till they got to the town's Tempus shrine. Then everything had started going straight to Hell. 

Her family name was a curse. Called mad bezerkers and cannibals who had turned on their own and destroyed themselves in one night.  Luke and Ronja found that her brother was alive and rumored to be working for Drow and completely mad. Derik watched his beloved's heart sink with every word.  They did have two leads though.  Her Great Uncle supposedly guarded the World Tree, and the location of the destroyed village.  They went to the village first.

Here spirits were found, spirits that fled from them. And the spirit of her Grandfather, killed this 17 years ago.  They talked.  Derik marked a rune, she marked a leaf. The group learned the Uncle was not to be trusted, not approached yet. There were things to be done. The brother was under the sway of Marius, but a sister also lived and was safe.  

... a fog began to roll in...

Derik asked if he could have the spirit's blessing, but a task remained. He had to face someone worthy. He would know who, the spirit said.

.... the fog for thicker, and Derik sensed trouble as the other spirits fled. But Lannia  was still conversing.  The rest of the group began to be uneasy.  Derik should have said something. Called the warning in his head. But he did nothing. 

Then it was too late. Men arrived. Sent from the spirit's brother to find him, they had followed the group. A beam of divine energy stuck the spirit. He vanished.

The men paid with their lives as the group unleashed fury. Derik  then them and their leader was an Umberlant cleric. But sent by the Great Uncle to destroy his brother once and for all.

Lannia had watched her grandfather die ... again.  And it was his fault. He should have said something when the fog warned him.  He had failed her.  Totally and completely. 

And this new information,  betrayal from the family, stung her even more.

Derik had tried to comfort her back at the port in the inn, and now he sat, waiting to take her breakfast.

He had failed her.  He was not worthy of her.

But now there was a brother to save and an uncle to kill. He would follow her to this.

But first... He would take her breakfast...

((Typed  from phone, please excuse odd mistakes))
*artemitavik

Posted by *artemitavik »

Derik sat in the townhouse at Baldur's Gate he still owned with his wife Lannia. He was alone in candlelight, cleaning armor that had sees a great deal of use this day. This was the day he had gone with Lannia, Adallan, and Ronja to a stronghold in an unknown place, underground, to get Lannia's brother Donnel away from the Drow Warlord named Marius.

He paused to reflect for a while. 

6 months. He had been married to Lannia Tannen, now Lannia Ranloss for 6 months next week. It had been an amazing time. A great deal had happened. So much that Derik hadn't properly chronicled it in his memory, let alone managed to write anything down. He was so horrid at keeping records sometimes.

For a good portion the first bit of time, it had been fairly care-free. Newlyweds, a honeymoon in the Islands of Selune's Bracelet, learning to run an inn, that sort of thing. Lannia had taken in Teris, who was now able to talk and such. He was their gardener and animal keeper at the Anchor. Pretty good too when he wasn't being completely neurotic about one thing or another. It hadn't stayed ideal though... so much had happened.

((you'll be able to see some events that are discuss here in more detail, and from Lannia's point of view here: https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?t=56171))

Ronja had broken it off with Luke. After a while she got together with Gunthar. Derik still wasn't sure what he felt about that, but, she seemed happy so it was what it was.

His sister Tellae had gone to work at Ronja's grandparents' estate of all places. Supposedly she was dating a young man named Aldred, a blacksmith's apprentice. He'd have to stop by and meet the man at some point.

Then there came the three threats at sea. The Warsworn, a huge pile of mobile corpses, the Nightwave, a 100 foot long, flying, undead shark, and the Ghost Ship, a ship crewed by spirits of the damned and alive itself with the head and tail of a great shark.

The Warsworn had practically called to him. It was an abomination, an affront that dishonored all that had died in battle by absorbing their corpses and trapping their souls. He had managed to get together a coalition to fight it, the Darius Holding Company, the Relentless Storm, and the Flaming Fist. After a massive and pitched battle, they managed to destroy it.

The Nightwave was fought by the Relentless Storm's crew on accident, looking for the Ghost Ship, some weeks later. It was a fight the crew wasn't prepared for, a massive, dark black beast in the form of a shark that swam and flew in the air, summoned giant undead bats, and shrieked death magic. The crew fought superbly though, despite being often flung into the unnaturally icy water or struck by the creature's body or bitten at by teeth. Hells, at one point, Derik had even gotten swallowed whole and had to cut his way out. Not exactly an experience he'd like to have. That creature was defeated too.

The Ghost Ship, some sort of living ship made of bone with a shark head and tale, crewed by the damned, was fought as well yet another while later. This fight didn't go as well. Though the creature was destroyed and the spirits released, the Relentless Storm was sunk. All crew rescued but the ship was lost. Vala was going to salvage it, but... that would take money and time.

Still, there was something out there in the ocean... it called. It was in his head. The only word he had to describe it was "wrong." It had to be put down.

Meanwhile, during all of this mess, Michael had broken off his marriage with Vala to be with some little trollop. Gods know why. Something happened and it got hard. Instead of pushing through it, of growing closer together, Michael ran. He didn't know all the details, and it wasn't his business, but it left Vala broken for a long time. He and Ronja had even gone to Waterdeep to fetch Tellae to act as a caregiver for Vala, who had been catatonic for days before finally recovering enough to care for herself. Vala was doing much better now, but the scars remained.

Then of course, there was Osric, who had managed to become possessed by a bunch of depressed, hopeless spirits. Trying to determine the nature of the possession had nearly killed both him and Lannia...

And then there was the vision. He, Lannia, and Marnie had shared some sort of vision. It showed Lannia where her lost brother was, and the identity of him. Donnel, the brother immediately up the sibling chain from her. The gentle one. The vision showed him being tortured, calling out to her to save him. Derik also learned that the torturer had been at the attack on Copperglenn that had killed his cousin, his teacher, and his Patrons. Marius had been involved in the attack on Copperglenn! 

They knew where Donnel was. He was calling to her to save him.

It was clearly a trap.

They had made preparations and with their friends Ronja and Adallan, teleported in to find him. They had fought members of Marius' forces. Then, before them, was the huge man who had done the torturing from the vision. 

Derik and he had sparred with words. He was clearly waiting for Derik, even calling him by name. Derik had remembered him from the Caravans though, so was not surprised. He demanded to know why they had attacked, ambushed the third of the militia that was there to guard the town, comprised mostly of the youngest, least experienced members. The one relic they took, leaving all other treasures... why? It was usable only by two types, and he and his master were not them. The man had just laughed, mocked that Derik didn't know what it was that the Patrons had kept. Clearly they new, but no one told Derik after the raid what the relic did. Or they didn't know either.

Battle then took place and Derik was soon drawing his blade from the dead man's chest. He took the man's sword for a trophy and found a note. A note from "Z." Likely Zachary, the human mage enslaved to Marius. Garth, the man, was to not confront Derik until "our arrival". Zachary and someone else had been on their way. They mentioned Derik by name in their orders. No mention of Lannia. Him. 

Why him? What was their interest? What was the relic for? Marius couldn't possibly use it... he wasn't of the right heritage... right? It wouldn't work for him, whatever it did. Marius couldn't possibly be.... thoughts swirled in his head when he thought about it.

They found Donnel further down through a hidden passage. He was absolutely crazed and delirious. They had to knock him out. Derik set some bombs and blew up as much of the facility as he could while they ran. He would deny Marius as many resources as possible.

Marius' image had appeared on their way out, furious with Lannia. Derik interrupted his rant, furious himself. He should have let Lannia goad him, might have gotten more information. He regretted that. Marius had started to drop rocks onto them, collapsing the cavern. Derik was able to teleport them out.

They had taken Donnel to the Halls of Inner Light. The Halls helped Lannia once with similar mind enchantments, they hoped the Halls could do the same for Donnel. Rania confirmed the presence of the mind-altering, memory changing enchantments. 

Still, something was wrong. Rescuing Donnel was too easy. He clearly knew they were coming, he could have had 10 times as many guards, 100 times as many. What was Marius up to?

Lannia stayed there with Donnel. Derik had to retreat from the Halls. Sune was a primary deity of the Halls, and ever since he had purified Warwake, he had been supremely uncomfortable there. Sune was not fond of Tempus.

So here he sat, cleaning his armor in the Townhouse on the other side of town. 

He blew out the candles and got ready for bed.

He'd go back in the morning.
*artemitavik

Posted by *artemitavik »

The book's page turned.

Derik sat on the couch nearest the fire in his lower level suite. The treatise on the economic trends of trade, craftsmanship, and shipping during prolonged conflict was held by one hand. He browsed the book, reflecting on the past few days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The images and the desires, the whisperings of destruction and chaos were finally gone from his mind.

The group had gone to the center of the fog to find the reason for it. They found waves of hatred and desire for bloodlust that blew right through their high-end mental protections as if they were nothing. But they resisted and carried on.

They found themselves in a sort of cavern composed some of stone, some of wood salvaged from ships. And some traps, but those were easily dealt with. The traps were old, disused.

A second room and corridor. This one contained an alter and three chambers. 

Garagos. The alter was Garagos.... and the three chambers contained summoning circles. One for the Warsworn, one for the Nightwave, one for the Ship of the Dammed. It was starting to come together.

A treasure room. A stash of the Ironjaw pirates.... very possibly cursed. At least until the issue with the source was dealt with.

And then a throne room. On it, a sword with a demonic eye. Soon fiendishly corrupted pirates appeared. Their captain took up the sword. The Sword of Endless War, a weapon of Garagos. The captain had been completely transformed into some sort of half-fiend creature.... massive, with 6 arms. Like Garagos.

The fight was fierce and hard, magic, arrows, and blades whistled through the air. Soon it was done.

The sword laid at his feet. The demonic eye stared up at him. He could feel it still, even subdued and in surrender. Its malice and hatred. Its desire for bloodlust. Without a word he inverted Warwake in his hands.

"Everyone move back..." He looked down. "Die..." The sword point came down.

Once. The eye cracked.

Twice. The eye cracked more.

Three. The blade shattered into shards. A vortex ripped space and spirits wailed as they escaped, nearly taking his own soul with them...

It was gone

The rest of the day was... looting the treasure room and a discussion with the Theskians that came to nothing.

After arriving home, there was an argument regarding what happened. It was supposed to be turned over, not destroyed... 

Despite departing in anger, the next couple nights were the first nights in weeks he'd been able to sleep straight through.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He sat at the fire, talking to Ronja. He tried to apologize. He utterly failed at it.

A conversation then about Bladestone and the Mage guild having some joint classes. Seemed intriguing.

Derik went home and laid down in the office on the couch. Lannia wasn't far behind.

He got a bit of a lecture. He really deserved it. He may have done the right thing, but he did it the wrong way... he should have discussed it first.

Shortly after, Gunthar showed up. It started off well enough. A great deal of apologizing going on, since they both admitted they'd screwed up. Was pretty good, even joking for a while.

Then it went to hell fast. Blame laid on Lannia in equal parts for a simple misunderstanding. Derik lost his control. Names were called. Derik stormed out back downstairs while Lannia stayed to talk to Gunthar.

Lannia came downstairs to find Derik reading, her discussion had gone little better, then she left to find Ronja to clear up misunderstandings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derik stood and with a snarl threw the book with all his might against the snake statue across the way from him. It impacted with a thud, then fell to the floor. He stood glaring at the statue for no reason whatsoever for a very long time.

He was losing family over this stupidity and there wasn't anything he could do about it.

The Darkness was coming, and he would fight it. But if it cost him his family, it had better run for its gods-damned life...
*artemitavik

Posted by *artemitavik »

Derik watched the ceremony of Adallan and Rania getting married, hands clasped behind his back under his cloak.  While he tried to focus on the events, myriad things ran though his mind as well...

Perhaps 2 10-days ago, Lannia's brother Donnel had been rescued from one of Marius' bases.  It had clearly been a setup, the retrieval was far too simple.  The man was in a coma for nearly a week and had awoken with no memory of even the rescue.  Obviously, this was bait for a trap

He had been taken to the Halls of Inner Light for help, and had awoken.  But when given the choice of disenchantment and possible madness as well as possibly waking up and NOT being Donnel Tannen, if he was a plant or decoy, he chose instead to flee into the wilderness.  This broke Lannia's heart.  It had enraged Derik's.

Add to this that Derik's father Marcus had sent word that one of the Copperglenn raiders had been found that was received that same day., there was a significant amount of stress in the household.

However, more information came in the form of Rania Arowaven.  An Oracle of Selune she had scried her patient's whereabouts and he was somewhere on the North Tradeway near Soubar.  The married pair made preparations to retrieve him so he could at least live at the Anchor, but then the Sending from his father came.  The Raiders were moving out.  Suddenly.  Without warning.

It was clearly related.  And clearly a trap.

Again.

The couple decided to split.  Derik gathered with him Ronja, his blade-sister, her fiancé Gunthar, who wielded magic that would come in fantastically handy against these strong opponents, his friend Adallan and Rania, who was his fiancé.  Lannia gathered others to her, but Derik did not know the details of whom other than his sister Tellae.  He didn't have time.

".... promise me you won't go alone..."  he had said to her, and he had to trust that she would take someone she could trust with her.

His group assembled and teleported outside of Waterdeep to meet with his father Marcus, ready for action.

A small village near the City with a small fort was their target.  The Raiders had set up camp in there and were now evacuating, taking everything that wasn't nailed down, and probably some things that were.  The group advanced, the fighting was intense.  The enemy was skilled and resilient.  The enemy also had position and numbers.  His father was a mighty warrior, but getting up in years and starting to show his age.  Derik paused to heal him with wands a few times after taking a hit or two more than he could manage.

Nearly to the final fortification, one of the shadowed assassins leapt at Marcus and gravely wounded him.  Marcus Ranloss cleaved him in half for his troubles, but he could no longer continue.  Even magically healed, such a blow required rest by even the heartiest of warriors.  So the companions moved on as Marcus took up a safe place in one of the houses to recover.

During the fighting the enemy had called out a name.  "Zathrian".  Derik had no idea who it was, but some pieces were starting to come together.

Soon they were at the top and there was a sight.  A large orb or crystal suspended, rotating.  A masked mage stood near a man whom he called Harrick.  The man that had led a group that attacked the Anchor only a little while ago.  

A man who Derik very much wanted to kill.

"I will deal with this scum!"  He boasted to the mage, whom he called Zathrian. 

"I know you will, Harrick.  With the power of the Ne'Tal'Takal in you, you will destroy them."  And with a flash, the mage and crystal were gone, leaving Harrick and two lesser mages who were clearly channeling some sort of magic.

"End those mages!"  Derik cried and the battle was on.  

Adallan ki-stepped behind Harrick to attack the mages, barely missing a strike from the huge man's massive blade.  The pugilist pummeled the mage, but did not drop him.  Rania launched lightening at the enemy warrior and Derik himself faced off with Harrick, but powered as he was through some incredible means, nothing they did made a scratch and Derik took a grievous wound.  Ronja stepped into shadows and moved to attack the other mage.  Meanwhile Gunthar tried to dispel the effects on Harrick to no avail.  They immediately refreshed.

The battle raged.  Adallan and Ronja continued to attack the channeling mages while Derik fruitlessly traded blows with Harrick.  Rania used a healing ring to keep him breathing.

Gunthar managed to deliver the final blow to the last mage and the wards around Harrick ebbed but didn't fade right away.  He remained invincible.  His blade whirled, biting at Ronja, Derik, and Adallan.

Gunthar was able to get another Disjunction off.  Harrick's wards shattered like so much glass.

"NO!" he shouted even as he let off an whirlwind attack at everyone nearby.  "This is impossible!"

"You.... are.... mine..."  Derik replied, the battle still heated.  "You came to my home.  Twice!" he snarled at the man, referring to Copperglenn, and then the Anchor.  "You hurt my family and friends. I will bring war to you and yours!  To their very threshold!"  

While he and Derik traded blows, Ronja appeared from the shadows, her blade doing what it does best, biting deep and hard.  Harrick staggered, and then was suddenly held by a magical hand.  One of the Bigby's spells cast by Gunthar with a scroll.

"Consider this an early birthday present." he had said.

"NOOOO!"  Harrick howled, struggling helplessly as Adallan's blows knocked him cold.

Derik through a glare at the ex-monk for a moment.  Now he was unconscious and helpless.... Derik couldn't kill him like this... Tempus forbids such things... but the anger soon passed.

Derik thanked those with him and began searching the unconscious man, stripping him of any dangerous equipment.  Marcus arrived at this time, clearly relieved that they all stood.  Derik found a note stashed into one of Harrick's pouches.  He slipped it away and would read it later.

Conversation struck up... Marcus had friends that would be able to take Harrick and get any useful information out of him.  Derik was pretty sure he knew who those friends were... other militia from Copperglenn that has survived... and did not envy Harrick his soon to be very unpleasant existence.  Thanks were made all around and Marcus mused that without the group, this would have not likely been successful and was glad this was the family Derik saw fit to bring.  Soon, plans for dinner were made at the Ranloss house.  His mother, Katie, would be overjoyed to feed  such a group as this.  A dinner, an evening of rest, and returning to Ulgoth's Beard light-hearted and full of victory in the morning.

However, Gunthar had brought up a question in the victory celebration.

"Does 'Heart of the Wyrm' mean anything to anyone?"  He had asked.  Derik and his father had exchanged glances but not expanded other than a few minor detail.

Ne'Tel'Takal... it was Elvish, that's what it translated as.  That's apparently what that orb was.  With channeling mages, it made one invincible, even unable to be dispelled

That's what that crystal was.  Things were starting to fall together but there were still missing details.

But now he stood at the wedding of two of those people who had helped him, merely an hour after returning home on the beach down the way.  Lannia was out on errands or something and was not there to see it.  He had a feeling she would be really annoyed with all of them for doing it when she wasn't available.

But then, she also needed to explain to Derik why there was a strange man gagged and tied to his safe in his office...
*artemitavik

Posted by *artemitavik »

((Note: This entry is based off of a quest that took place in two parts. We were instructed not to RP the first half until the second half took place, however, the beginning of the second part was a fast-forward 7 days. There is server-side RP between the two events that would "contradict" this some, but yay, comic book time! Sorry for any confusion. In any case, the event was FREAKING INCREDIBLE, thank you DM Mimic.))

Derik sat on a chair not too far from his bed. He watched the young woman he called his wife sleeping there, peacefully, a smile on her face.

7 days. She had been gone 7 days. And it had been Hell Realized.

Derik closed his eyes as images returned in his memory. Donnel. Lannia's brother. He had been taken over to Relentless Storm for keeping. It had a brig and the Anchor didn't. Lannia had researched possible methods to do a Mind-Walk with him, to help him naturally break through his enchantments. But it had gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Vala, Ronja, Reineke, and himself had all accompanied her in the ritual for moral support. They expected the enchantments to manifest as something hostile. But what they found was so much worse. Marius had not used enchantments on Donnel Tannen. Instead, a combination of torture, manipulation, and conditioning had turned him into a weapon.

The group watched as a spirit that could only be described as his Hope or Innocence led them through grizzly scene after scene, memory after memory, from childhood to adulthood. Each time it grew smaller. Each time they tried to console it, encourage it, give it strength to keep fighting. The final memory was only a few weeks old, the aftermath of when they had rescued the false-Donnel that Marius had planted as a set up. Then suddenly, the vision ended. 

And the worst thing Derik could imagine happened.

When he awoke, bodies of crew and drow were everywhere. Marius' forces had scried out their location and attacked while the ritual was taking place.

Lannia and Donnel were both missing.

Everything screamed inside Derik's mind and soul. Rage, Terror, Vengeance, others.... they all reared up and ready behind Derik's eyes. 

He stood motionless. His voice even. "We need to try to find where they've gone... time is of the essence." He handed a few scrolls to Ronja and Vala to help raise the crew. While they tended to the crew, he and Reineke attempted a scry and sendings.

Nothing happened. Nothing was found. They were being shielded.

Derik nearly lost his mind. In the days to come he became frantic, trying anything, everything he could think of to find a way to locate them. Locate HER.

And then a sending came, unfamiliar voice in his head, short, "Lannia. Underground passage by the ruined building south of Soubar. If I don't see you, tell Lannia I'm sorry."

It could be a trap, but it didn't matter. Gathering those closest to him and Lannia that he could reach in short notice, they set out. Vala, Ronja, Gaven, Miz, and himself. 

Derik was ready to cut through half the Underdark if he had to.

He didn't have to though. As they arrived, a battle was already taking place. Magic rocked the caverns, causing cave ins. Drow fought drow. A voice echoed across the air "Marius is dead! The master is defeated!" This is probably what sparked the battles, for Marius had those deadly loyal, and those who wanted to break free.

The group moved on and ran almost literally into Lannia herself. Free, and fully armed. Derik had rushed to greet her with a kiss, even dropping his weapons. Fortunately, Vala retrieved them in case the group had to run before he retrieved them. It was foolishness, but the relief Derik felt was like nothing in his life. Reason wasn't exactly in the forefront at that moment.

The group pressed on. A few squads of Marius' loyal were encountered, but nothing that stood in their way long. The group came across an older man in white robes who had been stabbed multiple times. He died in front of a scrying mirror. Some of the group investigated while Ronja, Vala, and Gaven kept watch. Derik recognized him as Zachary from the visions he had shared with Lannia, and she confirmed it. It was likely he who had warned Derik where Lannia could be found by scrying Derik in the mirror then sending for him. A note to Lannia in his own blood was his last thought, sorry he could not do more. He did not respond to a raise spell. His soul, wherever it was, was at peace enough it did not wish to return.

After a few more skirmishes they found Donnel in a similar state, cut down and in a pool of his own blood. This time the raising magic worked. The man was healed and started to lead the party out, for the way they came in had collapsed in the magical tremors.

However, on the way out an apparition met them. Marius himself, now an undead spirit of dark energy. Lannia had managed to trick the fool into eating a poisoned fruit, but he had set up contingencies, and now stood before them as a vengeful spirit.

The battle was hard fought, the drow-spirit's magic nearly claimed the lives of many of the group. However, victory was theirs and Lannia banished the spirit from the realm. Elated, they left the caves back into the sun...

Donnel had opted to travel for a while, to search himself out in his new found freedom. So be it, he would always have a home. Vala, Ronja, Derik, and Lannia traveled back to the Anchor for a small victory party. This mostly consisted of them laying on the rug and eating some fantastic sandwiches that Vala made while Lannia told the story of her imprisonment.

Lannia then fell asleep, exhausted, and Derik took her downstairs. He had done some work in the office, but now he sat in the suite, watching her rest.

Standing, he moved over to her and kissed her forehead. "Welcome home, my beautiful Turtledove." He whispered to her ear. The then laid down, draped and arm across her lightly, and joined her in sleep.
*artemitavik

Posted by *artemitavik »

Having consumed an invisibility potion or two, the Tempurian warrior trudged through the snow of the Cloudpeaks.  Every so often a yeti would pick up his scent or tracks and manage to attack him... much to its later dismay... but then he would drink another potion to make himself invisible and trudge on.  

Unlike normal, he stayed away from the most commonly adventured areas and avoided as many fights as possible.  He was not here for a fight.

Not yet.

His eyes kept watch across the frozen rocks and ridges.  Periodically he took out a sketch and held it up, comparing it to the landscapes he observed.  He trudged high and low across the mountains, even a bit up towards the peak of Speartop to find his quarry.  

Hours and hours of arduous searching.  And then finally, something matching.  He moved closer, comparing the sketch again.

A cavern, well hidden and back, but there it was, in a secluded spot well out of the way.  Likely never to be found without actively looking for it.  An armored figure moved out of the cave, went about a few moments of business and went back inside.

"Found you."  he thought to himself silently.  "You may expect me at some point, but now I've got you.  I can come right to your front door..."

The raiders who had killed his Patrons, his teacher, his cousin, and been responsible for the eventual death of his home town some months of decline later.  He had found their lair.  He had once thought them Zhentarim from the badges their dead had carried at Copperglenn, but now he knew them as a different name.

The Wyrmsoul Cult.

They had artifacts of immense power, were planning some ritual with the Heart, Wings, and Breath of the Wyrm.  Who knew what exactly it could be?  It certainly wasn't good, no matter what it was.

However, now he knew where they were.  He trudged back down well away and out of sight from the cave and sentries vanished from sight with a teleport scroll back home.

"I know where you are now." He said to himself as he entered the Last Anchor in Ulgoth's  Beard, far to the north.  He went inside to inform his wife and make plans.   Oh yes, he knew where they were.  He was coming back.

And this time, War itself was coming with him.

*artemitavik

Posted by *artemitavik »

Derik rolled the crystal shard in his fingers as he watched the firelight dance through it. 

It was over.  It was finally over.  

As he watched the refracted light from the shard dance across the walls of the bedroom, memories of the day's activities flashed through his mind...

Lannia and he stood in the lower meeting room of the Last Anchor.  Oth arrived, then Miz and Gaven, then Wren.  He had called for their help to deal with the Wyrmsoul before they could move or finish their ritual.  He'd have liked others too, Vala, Ronja, and Gunthar notably, but they were not available.  Gone, on other tasks, or asleep.

Gaven stood attentive and steadfast as always as Oth fretted and Miz wandered about looking at the books in the room.  Wren was pissed at something Greil Nightgale had done and was busy punching Derik's shield as it leaned against the wall to burn through her anger.

He took some time to explain to those that didn't know what was going on.  Many of them had heard bits and pieces, but none knew the story.  He explained who the Wyrmsoul were, the people who had attacked his home so many years ago.  He explained what the Heart, Breath, and Wings were and what they were for.  That Pax was a favored of Tiamat and he had a cadre of mages led by one Zathrian to attend him.  They were going to steal a dragon's power and make Pax invincible.

They traveled via magic to the Cloud Peaks and went invisible via skill or spell.  Marching through the snow to the place where the cave entrance was they found it gone... until true-sight was used, then it became apparent it had been hidden.  As was a strike force waiting for them.  The battle was on, Lannia was grievously wounded.  The Cultists had shed any illusion as to what they were and were now openly dragon disciples, and they fought as hard as hell.

But they didn't fight hard enough....

The team regrouped and trudged into the cave, encountering another group.  Another fierce fight, this time Gaven fell injured.  Tending to him, a dimensional lock was found but it was decided not to destroy it at this time, so that the enemy could not escape that way.

Traveling further into the cave network, a third group was encountered.  Oth was hurt this time, but Miz managed to dominate one of them and get information.  The ritual was almost complete.  They had captured an already-wounded adult white dragon.  He was instructed to destroy the crystals, but mentioned they could not be damaged by external means.  He went to try anyway, to his death by the hands of his fellows, compelled by the magic.

Derik knew the crystals were supposedly invulnerable already, and that the Pax would be immortal should the ritual complete.  The mages had to die.

The group ran in, and indeed, mages surrounded Pax and Zathrian, a massive white dragon near death while the crystals sapped its life force.  Pax was massive now, easily between 3 and 4 meters tall, energy radiating off of him.

upload images free

Handing out acid flask, Derik, Wren, Oth, and Lannia threw them at the mages, hurting them significantly but not ending the ritual.  The mages threw up defenses, including a stone wall.  Gaven and Miz went off to the flank to try other tactics.

Lannia blew a hole in the wall, allowing for Wren to disenchant the mages from their protections and allowing for Derik and Oth to sew more chaos with more flasks.  Miz had summoned some sort of magical clones and they were causing even more issues with the mages.

Then, the ritual completed.  The dragon died.  And Pax was invincible.  

It was a nightmare.

The mages were finished off, but to little effect other than to keep them from slinging spells.  Zathrian started to counter the group's magic users as well, throwing his own spells.  Lannia tore into him with arrows while Gaven gained Pax's attention and started fighting him to little effect.  Miz threw magic back, conjuring more clones for the battle.  Eventually, Wren managed to engage Zathrian up close.  All this while, Derik wracked his mind with how to stop the crystals and Pax.  Without destroy them, Pax would never be defeated.

"... cannot be damaged by external forces..." it had been said.  Derik dashed to the crystals, trying to find a way to destroy them internally.  Lannia would soon be joining him, trying to find a way to rebuke the spiritual energy, if any, inside the crystals.  Meanwhile, Gaven did not fare well against the giant-sized cult leader, though Wren finished off the archmage.

imag

After watching Lannia unsuccessfully dispel or rebuke the crystals, it occurred to him.  External forces.  Pax's power was OF the crystals.  He could destroy them.  He just had to be tricked into doing it.  

Turning around Derik, back to one of them, Derik began to taunt his opponent. Tempus disliked such things, disparaging foes, and he wasn't very good at it.  Pax ignored Derik for a while,  "It will be your turn soon, Interloper."  he replied to Derik's ineffective words.  Derik stepped up his game. 

Eventually he struck a cord.  With a sweep, Pax left Gaven for dead instead of finishing him off.  He took a leap into the air with his wings, diving headlong at Derik who rolled backwards underneath the crystal to the other side, bringing his shield up....

Pax's sword pierced the crystal, shattering it.  "NO!" he screamed.

Wren dashed to see to Gaven, Oth stood back to keep from Pax's blade.  Derik lept up to stand by another crystal, taunting again his massive foe.  But Pax was on to him now and simply smiled cruelly.... That was until Lannia caught on and her own words bit into his ego.

He lept at Lannia, sword raised to cleave her into halves.  From his position, Derik could only watch.  He couldn't reach her in time.  And Pax might have if the now-healed Gaven hadn't come from behind, to shield some of the blow himself, taking another wound but likely saving Lannia's life in the process.  

The second crystal shattered as Pax's blade caught it on the follow through.

After another bit of sparring and jostling for position, soon the whole group stood by the final crystal.  Another few choice words from Derik and Pax flew into a rage, unleashing a devastating whirlwind attack....

And with the sound of a shattering mirror, his power was broken...

image hosting free

"NOOO!" he shouted.  "NO! You're ruined everything!"

He now stood, normal sized, a skilled by very mortal, very alone opponent before the team.

"You are MINE!" Derik snarled as the group attacked as one, scoring several hits. "For Copperglen, for the Patrons, Theren Grax, for Steven!  YOU.... ARE.... MINE!"

Lannia, seeing her husband's rage stepped back to let him have his enemy, knowing full well the desire to put down a nemesis.  Wren simply cleaned her nails and flipped Derik a two-headed coin of Hoar.

Seeing himself overwhelmed, Pax tried to flee, Derik and Gaven scoring more hits.  The dimension lock kept him from teleporting away.  Lannia summoned a dragon knight to block his passage, Oth attempted to restrain him.  

Coming to a halt before the angered dragon summoned by Lannia, he was easy for Derik to catch up with.  Dropping his shield, Derik's hand grabbed Pax and pulled him into the oncoming point of Warwake, the blade protruding from the other side the body.  "You die now, like you lived.  A coward, in the shadows..." he said to the dying man.

"Tiamat... mistress... I have failed you..." Pax let out with his dying breath.

"Tell your mistress I said hello. Again."  Derik replied, letting the man fall to the ground, withdrawing Warwake, which flashed an odd color red for a moment.

Derik stared at the man's body for a moment, then collapsed to his knees, propping himself up with his sword.  He was silent for a long time.

"Is it over?  Is it finally over?" he asked.

"It is."  Lannia assured him as he stood up, tears on his cheeks he didn't know he was crying.

Wren reminded him of the coin, which he placed in the man's mouth, still numb from the experience.

Victorious, the group helped themselves to the dragon's hoard.  Derik also took several pieces of each of the three crystals.  They could not be allowed to be remade yet again.  He would keep some and give some to others so that they could be hidden away far from his knowledge.

Derik sighed and brought himself back, placing the shard away for now.  It was time to get some rest.

Tomorrow an army of trolls was expected.  He needed to not miss this.  Battle was his calling... and to battle he would go.

((Would like to throw a special Thank You shout out to DM Mimic for the conclusion of a masterfully woven story arc that he took over from DM Hera and made his own.  It was an incredible, wild, and fantastic ride!  Thank you so much!))