Character tips, tricks, and hacks

*witchinghour

Posted by *witchinghour »

Since I keep losing my list of handy character building links, tips, tricks, and hacks to share, I shall post and pin them here for posterity of all us roleplayers. Some may be similar/the same as other pieces advice, nonetheless many opinions and variety is good to choose from. A more professional looking layout may come in the future. This list goes in no particular order yet. Please PM me either on here or in the Discord server if you have any other hand dandy story telling, character building or other rp tricks to share. I'll update this list with such.
some advice I got a long time ago about making your characters more realistic:

If you can't imagine your character in silly or embarrassing situations without feeling very personally offended; take a step back, kick your character off their pedestal and let them breathe.

Let them feel and react in the same way you and others do. Let them laugh at dumb things, let them trip and fall on their face a few times. Let them experience life.

Don't take your characters so seriously that all the fun qualities are removed in the process.
Never tell what you want your character to be. Never tell what the meaning of an event is for them. Not until it has been a goodly amount of time afterwards. Why? Telling the meaning behind the scenes dispels the illusion of a real feeling character. Let your character show the other characters what they are and what it means. The more you say "My character is a badass" instead of showing the audience that your character is badass, the more people are disillusioned with it. Show it and earn it.

^ You don't have to win everything. Sometimes losing is just as fun to work through.