Katherine Beaumont-Lyon Clearwater - The Sheep Knight

Saiceles

Posted by Saiceles »

Full Name: Katherine Beaumont-Lyon Clearwater
Nicknames: Kath, Kathy
Race: Human (Called Asharians back in her prime)
Home Prime: Ashar
Alignment: Lawful Good

Appearance:

In terms of appearance, Katherine has often been described as "Olympian", though sometimes the description may not be entirely apt. She's of above-average height, standing at 5'8'', weighting at 167 pounds. Her skin is a healthy pinkish tone, and her hair is a natural tone of blonde, although there are visible streaks of multiple colors noticeable upon its length, something that is part of her world's culture. It is long, ending at the middle of her back, and very wavy, ending in curling locks. Her eyes are a verdant green, and in the mess of her hair, sometimes they might end up a little covered by one or other wavy lock. Despite being a warrior, she doesn't seem to have much in the way of apparent, visible muscle, and instead has a build that seems to be heavily covered in curves. Between long, shapely legs, a sizeable bosom, and a matching tall build to frame it all, she generally paints the image of an attractive woman. Her facial features are youthful, with large, friendly eyes that carry a small hint of sensuality to them. Her lips are full, and generally painted in either pinkish or red lipstick. She seems to enjoy wearing make-up, and is regularly seen wearing a manner of colorful choices of eyeshadow and eyeliner.

Generally, Katherine likes to vary her wardrobe choices. Since arriving in Sigil, she has taken a habit of varying her clothing choices every few weeks or days, and can be seen wearing anything ranging from short or small dresses, shorts and blouses, or tight-fitting comfortable leggings. Her choice in garments usually comes off as fashionable and colorful, often contrasting with the ever-present dull tones of Sigil. Combined with her disposition, this seems to typically make her stand out more visibly around the place. Her confident way of walking and standing and her disposition towards good humors tend to contribute to that as well. She's typically seen wearing small bits of jewelry, such as earrings and necklaces. Those usually come in golden or white colors.

When in armor, she usually strikes a more knightly figure. The black armor is characterized for its unusual design, more or less consisting of an armored dress, with the long, wide skirts consisting of several plated "petals" spread around her hips. The unusual design, combined with her unique figure, typically make some mistake her for a noble knight of sorts, despite her having the humble background of a farmer and shepherd. This armor is typically accompanied by a matching, black and gold sword known as "Lily", as well as a very large shield known as "Beetleback".

Personality:

A friendly, kind and understanding individual, she does have deeper layers, and when opening herself up she reveals to be funny, charming in her mannerisms, often showing a bolder, more adventurous side of herself than what initial impressions might imply. She seems to enjoy relaxing and having a good time with pleasant people, and is often willing to just stop and sit around to enjoy her surroundings or her time with a new friend. Despite her lack of magic, she usually has a few scrolls, wands and potions to help cover for that, although they don't nearly compare to what dedicated spellcasters can do. In contrast however, Katherine has a fierce, fiery and hard-working soul that believes one can achieve anything so long as they work hard enough to obtain it. This translates into an almost baffling amount of fortitude, both mental and spiritual, in battle. This does however not entirely reflect her intelligence. While she can be smart, Katherine often is described as "bird-brained" because of her bold and straight solutions to problems. She has a certain lack of scholarly knowledge and sometimes it shows, especially when one is trying to explain something particularly complicated to her. In essence, she's a woman who acts very well through her instincts, but might lose herself when it comes to hard thinking.

Her voice is remarkably feminine and has a youthful tone, indicating her to be somewhere between her twenties and thirties. She often speaks in a polite and respectful tone, although those who know her better find in her a woman with a light-hearted sense of humor and an equal sense of acceptance towards most people, regardless of their races or origins. In a sense, she can be considered a good woman on that fact alone, and despite her combat skills she's always willing to try and talk things out or negotiate terms rather than resort to bloodshed. On contrast however, she is entirely fierce when it comes to defending the innocent, the bullied and the oppressed, and often measures no effort to making it so that they are safe and in fair hands. Katherine is known to go at great lenghts for the safety and happiness of others, and even the few tales of her adventures often point out of her selfless, long journeys where there was little to gain for her but the success of someone whom she deemed deserving. Her mannerisms are generally considered to be feminine and friendly, and one of her most captivating features might be her genuine smile, and the willingness she has to give it even to the most unexpected creatures or people.

When it comes to the more difficult aspects of personality, she seems to have quite a few as well. She's prideful, sometimes to a fault, and despite her humble beginnings she accepts her growth and is proud of her own progress, and as such can find herself in conflict with those who doubt her capabilities. Headstrong, she holds fiercely to some of her views, and is often not hesitating towards butting heads with those who try to lecture her or convince her otherwise. In contrast, Katherine relies in much of her convictions to drive herself forward, and when she finds herself doubting them she can be far less confident, and as a result less efficient than she would have been. One can say that she's a woman driven by her burning passions, and the intensity of these flames is what determine how well she does.

While still easily impressed by certain sights in Sigil and out in the planes, her determination, willpower and beliefs often act as a mighty driving force that pushes her towards learning and improving herself. Having committed herself to the goal of forging her own way back home someday, she is determined to survive and overcome the obstacles that will likely come across her. Being a woman of instinct, rather than thought, Katherine can learn more from a hands-on lesson than from reading books and being fed with theories and descriptions. This usually reflects in her fighting style, where she seems to move and act heavily on instinct, the thinking becoming a secondary process.

Morals and Views:

Katherine holds views that heavily reflect those of her world and her people. Generally, she upholds a view called "the way of self", or "the way of betterment". It consists of an individual living their lives to their fullest, always driving themselves towards being the best versions of themselves, and as such contributing not only to their own growth, but also to those around them. The absence of a belief in afterlife or Gods makes it so that her people believe that each passing day is precious, and that they should be lived and cherished. With each day being possibly they last, the average Asharian wishes to live a live of few regrets and many prides, and one where they can reach the end of their lives with a feeling of satisfaction. Upholding the same views, Katherine tries to carry on to be a person that she cannot be ashamed of being. Despite the knowledge that both Gods and afterlives do exist, she believes that the former are not required for her to follow her path, and that the latter represents a different plane of existence, and that an "afterlife-Katherine" would simply be another woman, with her own new journey to trail.

While she knows to be careful of races who are known to be dangerous, she is also willing to give people a chance to prove themselves better than their birthright. This does not come out of a sense of naivety, but rather of confidence in her own strength, as well as a willingness to believe in the ability of others to do good. Even if she is hurt, or betrayed, it will simply serve as a lesson to help her grow, and the pain (should it not kill her) will only make her a better person. She believes that her strength and hard work are enough to allow her to survive should the unfortunate happen, but should they fail her, she will also accept that it is simply the end of her road, and will remain proud that she could live the life she wanted to the very end.

Abilities:

Katherine has more than a few times been described as a woman of unnatural capacity. Despite being a pure Human, with no traces of magical blood or unusual lineage, her time in Sigil has allowed her to grown from an untrained farmer into a true knightly bastion. Her most remarkable ability when it comes to fighting comes in the form of her sheer defensive power and durability. For a regular Human, Katherine has an overwhelming amount of defensive power, and between her heavy armor, defensive fighting style and tower shield, few things manage to successfully or rapidly penetrate her defenses. When not standing still and acting like a living fortress, she's bounding around, avoiding blows and in general making use of her speed to avoid attacks. In general, she has outstanding physical capabilities, and these often make her into a fearsome foe when it comes to melee combat. She tries to cover some of her deficiencies, mostly magical ones, by employing wands, and sometimes using a scroll to try and surprise a more enduring foe. However, her greatest weakness comes from dealing with magical foes. A lack of magical defenses or magical abilities means she's often vulnerable to such attacks, and those are typically foes she tends to struggle against. Generally, Katherine is very good at provoking opponents in combat and forcing them to keep their attention on her, and that typically helps with keeping the heat off her allies.

While she holds a preference towards defensive fighting styles, she can also switch to a more aggressive, offensive one, discarding her shield and wielding her longsword with both hands. When she does so, the power of her blows dramatically increases, and she tends to be able to take down most regular foes with little issue. This results in a decrease of her defensive capabilities, but sometimes the trade off is worth it. One of the most characteristic things of her way of fighting beyond such traits is her heavily instinct-focused skillset. Where she seems to lack the way to rapidly think on the spot, she makes up for it by having a natural combat sense, knowing where and when to move, and how to strike. Katherine regularly remarks that her most powerful ability is "hard work", as it was what allowed her to achieve that level of refined training.

Theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2chBvziiWXg
Saiceles

Posted by Saiceles »

A Page of Thoughts

Well, guess this is another page of introspection and thoughts, amidst all the pages of the journal. I guess it was something I considered writing separatedly, to make it so that I have a few thoughts in paper, and that I can also memorize this for the future. There's five days left now, for the end of my third month here. I guess three months feels like a long time for some, and I'm no exception. I don't know if it's because I can count the days in my diary, but it feels like it has been so much longer than that. The farm, my family, everything that was left behind, it almost feels like the memory of another life. Maybe in a sense, it feels that way because it is like that, a little. A new beginning, a new life. Hard to believe I arrived here with nothing more than my pajamas and now am having daydreams of buying a manor - and the savings for it too. I suppose the ways of my people show even here, so far from home. At least I think that being open to change and trying to adapt where I can has been paying off. And well, I guess I feel at least somewhat proud of what I've achieved with my effort. Not that others did not help me along the way, I owe them much for that, but it probably doesn't hurt to appreciate that I could make good use out of it. For how long, I don't know, but I suppose worrying too much about the future isn't something I'm very good at to begin with.

Things have been going well nonetheless. Sigil feels... Nice, in a sense. It also feels scary, challenging, like it is trying to test you at every turn. Some part of me appreciates it, it makes things less monotone, I feel. Another part is worried, I suppose. But worrying is second nature, even if I don't often utter it. One thing I can't get used to, it's the bleak colors, the lack of a sky. No plants, no trees, few animals. I have to give credit to those who live here, it has to be a challenge to get used to it. I can barely look at the "sky" for too long without feeling some vertigo starting to happen. But, there is a note to that. I don't know if it's the city, the circumstances, the colors, but... It almost feels like people here choose to be miserable sometimes. I know they struggle to be out of it but, it also feels like there are concerns one could go without. Some people seem to be so fond of trying to knock others down, belittle and demean them, and try to fill their minds with doubts. I don't know if it's their past ill experiences, if it's their upbringing, or just a cultural thing, but it is as if the only joy they have left in their lives is to pull others down. It's... Somehow even worse than the Colorless at times. At least the Colorless tend to just stick to themselves.

People have even questioned me why do I spend time in the company of specific people. As if the answer is so strange. I heed the rumors, I heed the words, but if I were to simply accept every one of them as truth, I'd go nowhere. And as it happens, I enjoy the likeminded company of those who can enjoy simply appreciating the little things, enjoying the small moments of happiness. A meal with friends, a drink to celebrate, a moment to share stories and goals and dreams. Things to remind you that the multiverse isn't as terrible, as dark and bleak as it sometimes it seems to be. I guess that for me it stands as something more enjoyable than being in the company of those who would refuse me to see as an equal, or treat me with kindness or respect. I've little interest and little intention of bowing my head to those who would like to see me lower, dragging in the mud. For that, I'm thankful for the new friends. Usi'dora, Abwan, Graxis, Reina, even Kaltia and Husbands. The conversations that we had, the experiences that we shared, they help me deal a little better with the fears I still carry, and believe myself a little more.

Speaking of that, I guess this place did help me with some aspirations. Mom and Dad always worried that my only aspiration was to eventually conscript to the Shieldwall back home. Now I have so many options. And I think it has been nice to see what we have achieved around. Recently, there was the thing with Childeric's kingdom, and the defeat of the Devils that were trying to harm his people. He and Ragnvald sent me a couple of letters, and it was nice to hear they are doing well in the process of rebuilding. I was happy to hear Ragnvald say that the actions of a few Planeswalkers helped inspire him to try and be the change, to do better. With his abilities and determination, I'm sure he will do it quite wonderfully. I hope they stay in touch nonetheless.

Admittedly, I found myself a little envious of Abwan. He led so well. I tried to do the same but, it doesn't feel it had quite the same effect. Even with his few failings, he looked like a real knight, and others seemed to see him much in the same light. It made me a little conscious of the fact that despite my abilities, I'm still more or less just a nobody. No title of nobility, no knighthood. People mistook me for a knight before, and some part of me felt happy about hearing it, but also felt self-conscious that I can't actually call myself one. So one of my considerations was to maybe see if I could achieve that in the future. Maybe back home, if I manage to find my way there soon. Or somewhere else. I'm not sure of the ramifications of these things in the expanse of the multiverse, but I guess it's something I may have to inquire an actual knight about. Maybe Ragnvald, or Oleg, they might be familiar with the concept. The others have even been teasing about the possibility of becoming some kind of aspiring nobility, "Queen", they joked, but I can't quite see it happening. Maybe it's just too big for my mind to properly understand. But I admit that a part of me would desire that. Big dreams, I guess. I guess those dreams are another thing that I fear. Sometimes I wonder if I'm dreaming too big, if I'm getting a little too over my head. I wonder if our King had such thoughts when he was just a miner.

Though, there's things to be proud too. Not just my own, but those of my friends. I'm happy that Abwan managed to do so well with Childeric's issues, and I can barely keep my pride from how Reina seems to be doing lately. I know I get on her toes a little sometimes, and that I may be pushy, but I do admire how even in her timid and reserved way, she's always taking little steps. Small considerations, attempts at learning new things and improving her views. If I knew such things better I'd dare say that she's more Human than many Humans I've met. Anyone who sees her as nothing more than a dangerous Fiend probably could use learning some insight. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to happen. At least not as far as I could see. Either way, I wish her father could see her now. He'd be beside himself with pride. He certainly raised her well. Flaws and all. Dora is another one who's doing very well for herself, I feel. She's managing to grow more earnest, more honest to her feelings, and I think that is a good thing in face of what kind of childhood she had to deal with. I suppose she could use with apologizing less but, that's not necessarily a bad side of hers, heh.

That said, I guess this did get quite long, didn't it? But I feel a little better putting these thoughts into words. No use keeping them locked down in the old skull. And the last thing I need is all these doubts dragging me down in the least adequate moment.

Still, I miss you. Mom, dad, everyone. I hope you're all good, and healthy. I will see you again someday, promise.

And when I do, I will hopefully show plenty of things for you to be proud about.

*The rest of the page has little doodles of sheep and farmers.*
Saiceles

Posted by Saiceles »

Katherine seemed to carry on with work, as usual. She tried to keep on her cheerful, friendly humor. She gave her hellos, said her goodbyes, engaged in conversations with the friendly faces whenever possible, and otherwise occupied herself with work. Her somewhat reserved and not particularly rebelious nature might have helped some in the process. The occasional joke about her being called "Horse Herder" seemed to be taken with some measure of amusement, usually a smile and a nod of confirmation. She had been a farmer not too long ago, and well, she never found a reason to not be proud of her family's calling. She didn't seem to mind obeying directions and instructions so long as she didn't find them unreasonable, and most of the time they weren't. Nothing too hairy tended to come out during the simple works around the camp. Occupying herself as much as possible did tend to help her mind, and left her body tired enough that when it came the time to rest, she fell asleep quickly.

That didn't quite stop the voices, of course. The cries, the screams, and so on. Granted, it wasn't as if she hadn't killed before. She had, plenty. Her nearly five months in Sigil had involved plenty of that on those she had found to maybe be deserving of such deaths. Her usual planeswalking jobs involved helping people against those who oppressed them. Sometimes that involved fighting Fiends, beasts, monsters, even horrible people that did nothing but wish for the worst of others. Evil beings by her best understanding of the word. They did scream just as much but, she hadn't much thought that profoundly on the matter anyway. She understood most of these didn't have families, friends, loved ones, and nearly in most cases they were doing such acts out of their volition.

It was different for this other Harmonium. She couldn't shake off the thought of Karn, back in the ship. Voices of others urging her to kill him as quickly as possible. She recalled only Tavia seemed to bother trying to capture the man instead. She had failed too, much like herself had. As much as she had aimed for the man to be knocked out with a blow, she hadn't antecipated him throwing himself into her blade into a suicidal strike. It was hard to forget the sound she heard when the blade pierced the body. Or the colder-than-average blood running into her glove. Or something about the look of shock, horror and rage at the fate that had taken other-Karn's companions. And he knew her. Or well, he knew the other Katherine. The Karn she knew was a good man. A very rebellious, unruly one, but still a good man. He had his troubles and reservations, but she knew he meant well. It was hard to shake off the thought of her blade piercing his gut and ending his life. She wondered if the other Katherine had been as close a friend to her Karn as she had been to the one that still lived.

She wasn't sure if it was the sheer familiarity, or the disturbing notion that they were fighting their own selves at times, but nonetheless it was all very difficult to take. She didn't dare voice that outloud. She had enough people believing her naive, incapable and helpless without her words and thoughts adding up to that. So she carried on quietly, though every now and then she would take a few hours away from everyone, from everything, letting herself just be surrounded by nature. A nice, safe spot had been found on the opposite direction past the portal to Sigil. A little clearing in the woods with a small lake. Some horses drank from the nearby water, and she wondered if any of them had been those she had helped free during the supply raids.

In that free time nonetheless, away from everyone, she'd let some of the sorrow slip off as tears. She'd sit down, rest her head against her knees and just let them fall, her own silent voice apologizing for the suffering she had caused. Even if she knew it was necessary, and that it had to be done, she didn't feel she had any right taking joy from the suffering of another, no matter how much she might hate them. One doesn't do the right thing just for those they like after all. Those were teachings from her family, from her world. Now so far and out of grasp that she wasn't so sure if she'd see it again. Being of her world had its advantages, but also its downsides. Even with her uncertainties, Katherine knew she was determined and driven enough to do things when she had to, and very few things could keep her from achieving her goals when she put it into her mind. On the other hand, she occasionally had to take such moments to go through the negative emotions that were accumulated along the way.

With enough hours passed, she'd eventually go back to the camp, seemingly refreshed some and ready for more work. This damn battle really couldn't come fast enough. Though she wasn't too sure if it would be a good thing. It would be more death, more killing, in quite great numbers, she expected. Maybe it was as people said, and it would be best to see the proverbial bandage ripped off quickly.

Saiceles

Posted by Saiceles »

Another day went by. It had been nearly two months since the end of the war, and Katherine was growing used again to the relative peace of Sigil. Of course, Sigil was never really peaceful, but there was a distinct difference between days of all-out war and ones where most things trying to murder you were doing it for more personal reasons. Nothing that she hadn't grown used to handling, she had found a modicum of peace in the process. A way to adapt, grow accostumed to the city's strange ways, even with its many dangers. She sometimes admitted to herself with some tinge of guilt that she even found it exciting.

Of course, that normally happened when she had her inseparable companion with her.

Currently, she had decided to visit the camp where the first major battle of that war occurred. Coincidentally the first time she also felt her sword's unusual bond. She still remembered that day. While she seldom spoke of it with those outside of her friend circle, she had been scared. Too many people, too much blood, an untold amount of death and chaos with her standing right there, not knowing whether she would survive or not. In that day, gripping her sword felt like holding the hand of a dear friend, one that reassured her that things would be fine.

And she had trusted it.

Things had been fine as a result. It wasn't uncommon for fighters to form bonds with their weapons. Such a thing was as old and as common as time itself. By its own nature, where Lily, her sword, was an exceptional weapon, it never proved to be more than a very deadly, heavily enchanted blade. However, to Katherine, that would be a superficial, limited way of perceiving it. A lump of metal it was, but it was a lump of metal that made her feel safe, that had been through more than a fair share of battles in her hands, and never failed her. It had certainly did its best to fulfil its part of the deal.

Katherine on the other hand, felt like he hadn't.

She had taken the weapon for granted. The gift, the connection they shared, as a thing that had simply occurred and that would stay there forever, unchanged. That had been naive. The more she trained with the sword, the closest she grew, and the more it felt like it was very well a part of her own self. Where her previously untrained self struck with clumsy-but-practiced strokes, her connection to Lily had allowed her to surpass those limitations. While they were one, they were the closest thing to being undefeated, barring a very few exceptional situations such as her spars with her friend Reina.

Now she had lost that right.

And she didn't blame anyone but herself for it. Ambris had given her a cautionary warning on the risks of letting the blade be its own entity. He had insisted that what amounted to the blade's conscience was no more than just Katherine's own mind acting as a separate entity, and that such things were dangerous. He wasn't wrong, that was certainly the truth in many cases. He had given her the information she needed, and she used that information to doubt herself, doubt the sword, thinking that she might be in danger. In truth, no other blade, armor or object made her feel safer. And she had returned the weapon's loyalty with doubt, with fear. With an unspoken threat of destruction.

She certainly wouldn't blame anyone, man, woman or weapon, for feeling betrayed that their loyalty had been repaid with such unworthy coin. The object that represented the blade was still there. The weapon still sat in front of her as she rested beside the river, in its usual, white-gleaming coloration, but where normally Katherine felt an unseen connection, there was only coldness. Normally if she closed her eyes, she could tell exactly where the blade was. Where most things around her were, truly, thanks to her own senses expanding. Without that connection though, it was all normal again. All she felt was the grass beneath herself, and nothing else. Doubting the blade and thinking of its destruction had caused whatever connection they shared to be severed, and now there was no longer the familiar presence there in the weapon.

Maybe there never would be again.

Katherine could be slow at times. She also wouldn't have called herself flawlessly virtuous. But to her, there was a distinct difference between right and wrong. She had done something wrong, tatamont to betrayal of a battle companion. Thing hard to forgive, and it certainly made it feel her bad, unworthy, lacking dignity. It had taken her a great amount of effort to even touch the blade and draw it out of its usual bag. She didn't dare draw it out of its sheath, or wield it in combat. Katherine didn't feel she deserved that right. She had wounded something she considered to be a friend, wounded so deeply that the instinct-led entity into it had fully retracted into safety, fearing for what maybe was the only thing that amounted to its existence.

She had spent plenty of time in the last days blaming herself for what happened, beating herself up for the mistake. But that wasn't the solution, it wasn't the right thing to do. Enough time had been passed grieving in that sense. Scales demanded to be balanced, for her own tarnished honor, and her worth as a person. She had to apologize to Lily, to do better by her weapon. Not so that she could use it again, share the bond once more, no. That would be selfish, if she were to act like that simply to regain what she lost. She would do it because it was the right thing to do. It was the least she could do. Whether or not it earned her forgiveness, it was irrelevant. A wound like that required to be mended, and nobody could do it but herself.

For several hours, Katherine simply sat there, pondering on thnigs. Thinking of her time in Sigil, speaking to herself in whispers at times. Sometimes sharing her thoughts with the blade. Recognizing that many of the difficult odds she faced could only be surpassed because of the bond she formed with the weapon, and that she had failed her. She didn't know if the weapon could hear her, but she wanted it to at least understand that she realized her own wrongdoing. Her mind led her to think that the first battlefield of that war would be a suitable place for reminiscing.

There were moments in these hours where she simply fell silence, enjoying the nature around her, staring out quietly, blade sitting next to her without touching her directly. Once the night fell, she simply made camp, deciding to spend a while longer, staring at the stars that she could see from there. No such sky on Sigil. Even though the area had seen so many dead in one afternoon, now it was clean, calm, beautiful. Something that had recovered despite grievous wound.

Katherine spared a small glance towards the blade, before bowing her head lightly, and uttering a pair of words.

"Thank you".

She had a long, new road ahead of herself. One she wasn't entirely sure on how to tread. But she had to try, regardless.