In the cage, unexpected freedom.

Vermilion

Posted by Vermilion »

The man opened his eyes, his body shaking for a moment, gasping.
It was dark, but that was not a concern to him, but by gods and fiends the smell was terrible.
He stood quickly, reaching the back of his cowled head with one hand, his eyes nervously darting around.
"Where am I?" he muttered to himself.

The breeze of the evening was refreshing, and a smile appeared on the face of one of the figures rapidly moving among the trees, bordering a dirt road.
A wagon was travelling by that road, with two people on the front seat, and other two in the back with the goods. The tune, the driver was timidly humming, was interrupted by a quick turn of the horses.
"What happened?" barked one of the men in the back. "Something crossed the road and spooked the horses." replied the driver.
"Maybe it was a wolf" said the other man in the front "We better move."
It was just a faint rustle, coming from the vegetation on the sides of the road, that anticipated the leap of two figures pouncing on the screaming men in the front.
"Fiends!" yelled one of the two in the back, jumping down the wagon and running for the driver seat, but in vain. A third shape had him pinned down, a cry coming from the traveller.
The other individual, in the back of the wagon, quickly ran in the forest. Another shape was following, and slammed the runaway against a tree.
It was a woman, limply rolling on the ground after hitting the trunk, coughing blood. She tried to stand, but the chaser was already upon her. Unable to flee, unable to move, the woman turned his head to avoid the gaze of her assailant; a tear, trickling down her cheek, fell into the the blood she coughed.
Everything was rapidly changing, the surroundings twisting and vanishing. The two figures fell. The attacker released the woman trying to grab something to stop the falling, his hands reaching into the void engulfing him, but finding nothing.
The creature hit the ground, his body now motionless.

The man opened his eyes, his body shaking for a moment, gasping.
Vermilion

Posted by Vermilion »

A medium sized human, a long dark-colored cloak falling from his shoulders and a hood covering his head, was walking along the alleys of the Hive. His light blue eyes darting all around, examining the vast variety of creatures populating Sigil.
He stopped, leaning against the wall of one of the many houses of the district, looking at the sky.
"It seems I don't have to worry about many things now" he said, in a sigh "But I probably must be careful about many more, things I'm not aware of."
He extended one hand, and stared at it, illuminated by the yellowish light of the "day".
"This may be a cage but, I'm not hearing it anymore, his voice in my head." he retracted the hand, now looking at the street in front of him. "Maybe because I'm more powerful, or maybe another side effect of this town" the right hand reached for his forehead, moving aside a dark brown lock "But I am free from him."
The man took a couple of steps back, disappearing around the corner of the building.
Last edited by Vermilion on Sun May 03, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vermilion

Posted by Vermilion »

The fog was surrounding the tall trees of the forest, and to the south it was possible to see the glints of the reflected moonlight, coming from the river. From the balcony of a manor, a man was looking at the scenery, his greyish eyes staring pensively.
The creaking of the door behind him made him turn, and look at the man approaching him.
He was tall, with dark hair combed back, a strong jaw and prominent cheekbones. His lips formed a smile, but his gaze was feral, like that of a hungry wolf.
"Is something wrong?" asked the one that, a moment ago, was enjoying alone the view fom the balcony.
"Not at all" answered the other "You are going to join the rest of the family tonight." From the dark blue cloak he was wearing emerged a hand, motioning to follow him.
"Really? In the forest?"
"Yes." said the cloaked man, then he chuckled. "Not only in the forest, but wherever your instincts will lead you."
"Are you coming with us?" demanded the man moving away from the balustrade.
"Not tonight. I want you to get acquainted with the others."

The two men went downstairs, welcomed by the inquisitive gazes of six people, two males and four females.
They were very different individuals, but with one thing in common, their eyes. All of them with the same ravenous eyes, that were now pointed at the man that was alone on the balcony.
The tall one wearing a dark blue cloak moved to the door of the manor, and opened it looking at the others. "It is time" he then said "Go now."
One after the other they rushed out of the building, some of them laughing. When the one from the balcony was almost out of the house, one hand of the dark blue cloaked man reached his right arm.
"Watch carefully your brothers and sisters" said the man with the cloak "Learn from them."
"I will." the other replied, and ran to the rest of the group, all of them vanishing in the darkness of the forest.
Vermilion

Posted by Vermilion »

A lonely shape was following the street, leading to a square with several benches placed in circle, in the middle of it.
It was a human, with long dark brown hair framing his face, and almost cerulean eyes curiously examining the houses at the sides of the road. A dark cloak covered almost his entire body, costantly moving and adapting to his shape, like pushed by a gentle wind.
The town was dark, covered by a blueish tint, but when the man looked up there was no starry night sky; just an endless void.
He stopped, looking at one side of the road where several trailers were parked, and smiled. "That for sure reminds me of home." whispered to himself.

He reached a pier, leading into then expanse of nothingness, crossed by vessels approaching or leaving the town.
The man stared at the ships, lost in thoughts for some time, then he grabbed one edge of his cloak.
"Impressive, don't you think?" the man murmured, always looking at the emptiness. "One can reach almost any place from here, if he wants to." he paused for a moment. "I wonder if someone from a demiplane, is still to be considered a primer."
"In any case" he added with a sigh "I may be able to see for myself what really the place I come from looks like."
Turning his gaze down at the piece of cloak held in his hand, the man raised an eyebrow. "Now that I think about it, someone may know a way to communicate with you." he said, heading back to the center of the town.
Vermilion

Posted by Vermilion »

Another step, echoing in the dark tunnels. A fast movement of someone, suddenly appearing and snatching the man walking in the shadows.
A cry stuck in the victim's throat, and then the body limply falling on the ground. The pale face and the panicked eyes of the corpse, lifelessly staring at his assailant, now kneeling down beside him.

The solitude is strong, sometimes almost unbearable, but I have what I need so should I feel this way? Should one like me feel anything at all? Was what I had before better, or maybe it is just the memory of it that makes it feel that way?
After all there is always the desire, the same desire that never leaves us; the same lust for the only thing we will never have.
But I know better now, these thoughts are for the weak, for those who will endanger themselves abandoning the most valuable thing we can have on our side. Secrecy.
You also have a purpose, have you not? So why complaining, he would not be proud of you this way, even with all the things you learned.
Wasn't the scent, the warmth and killing enough, then? Why should now be different? One never stops to follow his nature.
Yes, things are more complicated now, but does it matter? You know what to do, it is so easy for you to know, even companionless.
You just have to do what you always do, and receive the most desired prize, a little spark of it at least.
But then it is again darkness, and the wait for another one to take for yourself, and the curse is neverending.
These thoughts are for the fools, you aim for more than this, and you cannot trust others. You know that very well, you learned it long ago.
How much time has passed from then? And more importantly, does it matter anymore? After all, there is no end to this, there is no end to you.
Now rise, rise and don't waste anymore time "thinking", that won't give you what you thirst for.
Do you hear it? Another one coming right this way, his heart is waiting for you to stop its beating, with one last sip.

The man stood, pushing away his cloak to the side and moving away from the pale corpse, following the approcahing steps echoing in the tunnels.
Vermilion

Posted by Vermilion »

Slowly walking, a cloaked figure, through the streets of the Lady's Ward. His light-colored gaze captured by the details of the intricate buildings, so different from anything he saw in the past. Everything he could imagine was present in Sigil, and that still impressed him. Some more slow steps, another turn, and another building completely different from the others, and another gathering of improbable beings. Almost like entering into a complete different world, another reality, and maybe he did. After all who knows when another portal may be crossed.
But now his eyes were no more pointing to any relevant subject, just lost in some general direction, like his mind was in thought.

The encounter with the other had been intriguing, especially to understand how another of my kind sees and perceives this chaotic reality. He was helpful, maybe even caring, in a very detached and teasing way like our nature usually tend to be.
But then something unexpected happened, something I always thought so distant from myself, I wanted more.
I wanted to find more of us, to confront them, to study them and maybe even relish their company.
Of course what I heard about the cured one was of great interest, but I still have doubts about openly approach her, but if she will keep her word that will probably happen.
But it can't be just that, I'm sure many more are here, and they of course like me are hiding what they are. Or maybe not.
Impatience doesn't suit a timeless creature, but the desire to find some connection with others that share my nature was so insufferable, just like the thirst.
Vermilion

Posted by Vermilion »

"You must do it. You haven't tried yet, you must, he wants to." Said a man, slender with curly very light blonde hair, almost white. He was smiling, mockingly, and next to him there was a woman. Another lean figure with pale and smooth skin, dark hair, staring with an emotionless expression.
"Fine, I'll do it." replied another man, long dark brown hair and sharp cheekbones, eyes reflecting a greyish tint in the dim illumination of that moonless night. He then moved away from them, vanishing among the trees of the forest.
He came out of the vegetation, stopping right in the middle of a dirt road. In the distance it was discernible the sound of an approcahing wagon. He closed his eyes.

Think now. Think about the shape, about the bearing, while stalking his prey. The silvery fur, the ferocious eyes and fangs, the powerful limbs bending for the jump or the run. The speed of it, moving fast among trees. Yes, the picture in your mind is clear enough. Now focus on your blood, on your tainted soul and call for it, call for its power.

The man feel on his knees, one hand pressed on his chest, his body shaken by spasms. His size and shape changing, his posture, proportions distorted, hands now clawed paws and yellow lupine eyes.
It took some instants, and instead of a man now a huge grey wolf stood in the middle of the road.

The colors, shapes, sounds, the smells and animals all around. I can feel everything, as always, but differently. Focus! I can smell something in the forest that caught my attention. Focus on the damned thing!

The eyes of the wolf were now pointed at the caravan on the road.

Do what you must, focus on the horses.

The beast ran, dashing to one side of the road, then crossing it right in front of the animals. The horses abruptly stopped, neighing, the man on the front seat yelled something and another one in the back answered. Then two shapes appeared, coming from the trees on the sides of the road, one grabbing the driver and the other one leaping in the back of the wagon. The wolf rapidly moved away from the scene.

Calm now, concentrate, do not think about the urges, about the hunger. Think about yourself, see yourself where now is the beast.

The animal stared at the ground, nostrils widening, and another transformation occured.

The horses were gone, and a faint cry came form the back of the wagon. The driver was laying on the ground, with the blonde young man over him.
"I did it." Said the dark brown haired man, approaching the corpse.
"You did Vilém! You did very well, and now come, come and join us. Feast with us." The blonde one replied, with a crimson stained smile.
Vermilion

Posted by Vermilion »

The laughs, smiles, glances. The smell of wine and other unknown liquors never tasted before, and the food. It was a cheerful sight, with all kind of creatures enjoying their time together. A lonely man at one of the tables was observing them, all of them, sipping from the goblet held in his right hand. The feathered hat partially covering his eyes, and dark brown locks of hair framing his face. He sighed, after another drink.

Can you hear them, can't you? All these hearts pumping blood into their veins, the smell of the soft flesh so easily pierced if you want to. There is no need for commotion or violence, just look at one of them, just call for them and they will follow.
That would be lovely, but I don't need it now, I will do it when I want to.
Is this because of what she said? Please don't tell me that is the reason.
The reason is that I can control myself way better than before, I learned much, I learned how to coexist with the beast inside.
Bah! Fool, you are just resisting what you really are, and what you will ever be! And what about that thing in the tower? The cloak and those stupid questions, another "plan" vanished. Is the hope dying already, or are you going to come up with some other foolish attempt? Don't you realize that you will never find a way to the demiplanes? Just take what you need and be done with it!
I may not have a way now, but this Sigil is ever-changing, a portal or a connection will be found. All I need is time, something I don't have to worry about.

He stood, laying the goblet on the table, and moving aside one edge of his dark-colored cloak, glancing around before heading for the door of the tavern.

Now, I will find someone to satisfy us both, and not because you told me but because I choose to do so.
You are not the only one with time, I will patiently wait the moment when you will not be able to contain me anymore.