The Beauty of Chaos

*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Slipping

Nastasia stared at the cieling in her room as she lie on her back. She let out a sigh. She's been feeling down for a while now, it was unusual. Was she not enjoying herself? Some days, but it seemed that something was bothering her. Something itching in the back of her mind.

Why are we sad, darling?

Nastasia closed her eyes. It was a good question. Was it Annoroku's constant avoidance? Perhaps she'd kept the mouse away from the cat too long with that one. Perhaps, she sighed again, maybe he's tired of playing without any sign of a prize.

He's just a toy. If he doesn't want to play, then we can find someone else.

"Shut up."Nastasia clenched her fist. The voice kept taunting her every time she'd regain control. She wanted to keep it back for a while.

Why do you fight it, darling? The voice echoed in her mind Maybe you're sad because you're not letting us have any fun.

Nastasia growled, "Not letting you have any fun, maybe."

Same thing, dear. it laughed.

Nastasia shook her head. She raised a hand over her face and easily let her energy flow to her fingertips. Her digits lit up with eldrich energy, crackling and sparkling as she let it jump between fingers.

We should destroy something.

Nastasia frowned, she didn't want to. Not at the moment. Something was bugging her... maybe keeping the mask's control at bay for a while... things felt off... or maybe this was how she used to feel, long before the mask... she couldn't remember what that was like.

Are we pining over some boy?

Nastasia rolled her eyes, "Don't..."

I do hope it's that Kelth. He's quite the handsome man... so fun to play with too.

"I said, don't."

I wonder who's in his pants right now?

Nastasia sat up and frowned.

I bet it's that Cat. She's far too high on her horse... we really need to find a way to knock her down a peg, darling. Otherwise we'll never win this game.

"I... no... no you're wrong. It's not a game."

The voice laughed, No? Darling, what ever is going through this brain of ours? it let out a little gasp, Don't tell me you're falling for him

Nastasia lowered her head, "... I..."

Darling, you remember what happened to the last boy you fell for?

Nastasia closed her eyes tightly, a tear started down her face, "... Grihm"

We don't want the same thing to happen again, do we?

Silence fell over the room. Nastasia sat and breathed deeply for a few minutes. Her eyes flashed open and she smiled wickedly. She instantly felt better, as if everything was right again. "Now, let's have some fun."
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Nastasia walked into the inn feeling rather smug. Annoroku was angry... very angry. She laughed to herself, it was amusing, seeing him so angry, much more than he normally was when she'd brush him off. She was proud... or, at least she thought she was... a part of her was.

As she strode across the carpet, making for her room she heard a cough.

Gundul-Zarag motioned to her, "Got a letter, Nastasia."

Nastasia turned, "A letter? For me? How intriguing." She slunk to the counter and took the envelope from the giant inkeeper. On the front it had her name written in some fancy cursive. She didn't recognize the writing. A smile occupied her lips as she turned to the large inkeeper, "Thanks, darling. I'll read this in my room."

Once inside she let out a sigh, she wondered who it was from. Why would anyone send her a letter... could it be a secret admirer? She laughed softly to herself.

The tiefling took a claw and ran it along the envelope's side, cutting it open. She then slid the letter out and began to read.

Her face lost expression at first... then shock... confusion... her hands shook and her eyes moistened more with each word. Her right hand slid to her lips and she dropped the parchment. The letters faded off the page and she began to sob quietly.

Oh... oh this is rich! the voice laughed.

Nastasia lowered her head.

Tsk, well this must be disappointing for you, isn't it darling?

Nastasia's tears fell from her eyes. "... why?"

It must be horrible, all that effort, all that invested emotion.

Nastasia clenched her fist, "Stop it! Why can't you leave me alone?"

The voice laughed. Oh, but you are alone, darling... you're very alone.

The tiefling fell to her knees. The voice was right. She was very much alone again. Everyone she cared about... gone.

It looks like it's you... and me... the voice sounded right behind Nastasia's ear, as its owner was physically in the room with her, pacing around her, taunting her. Just the way it was before... the way it should be.

Nastasia screamed, "What do you want from me?"

No answer.

Nastasia's eyes flashed, "Answer me!" She growled, her hands lighting up in eldrich energy, "Tell me what you want!"

No, my dear. the voice of the mask whispered, what do you want?

Nastasia stopped. The energy dispersed from her hands and she looked around, confused, "What?"

This is about what you want... it's always been about what you want.

"I didn't..." Nastasia shook her head, "I didn't want any of this..."

You did... you wanted Grihm dead, remember?

"You lie."

He threatened us... threatened to take our power. He wanted us to be weak. He didn't love us anymore.

"No."

You needed me. The voice teased, A sad, little tiefling who couldn't fight to save her life. I gave you the power you wanted. I gave you everything...

"Please... stop." Nastasia tried to fight it.

Nastasia, darling... tell me what you want... we will get what you want.

"I... I want..." she sobbed, she didn't know how to finish that sentance, she couldn't say the words.

We will have what you want, darling. And nothing will stand in our way. None of these fools with their ill-concieved plan to seperate us. It will all be ours, darling... everything will be the way you want it.

"I want you to leave me alone." she cried.

The mask laughed, You are alone, darling... you are alone.
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Feelings

Her feelings flooded her senses. Since Deri's kidnapping, Nastasia had been a mess of emotion: Rage, regret, anger, guilt. Even with her return the emotions didn't stop, they grew.

Kelth... she sighed, he'd been gone for a while, and she thought she just needed time. But with his return, with all this emotion, she still snapped. Was still bitter.

"Boys suck", was the phrase Deri had used the other night. And, although she was refering to a different one, her sentiment rang true.

Nastasia walked back to the fountain in the Lady's Ward... the site of her most recent emotional breakdown. She could still see herself, standing there, wracked with guilt... Kelth had talked of the Hive... as if he had known anything about it. He made it sound better than it was, as if the meek had a choice to stay there. Nastasia scoffed in retrospect, nobody chooses that life... everyone in it only wants out.

But, she'd cried, that had happened too much lately. She cursed her emotions as she stood back in that spot... where she was in Kelth's arms... it felt strange... not how she remembered... nor how she wanted... it wasn't right... it wasn't Grihm.

She let out a sigh, hoping that Kelth's absurt, albeit theraputic, method of talking to the deceased had done any good. She didn't know if they'd heard. Hailey, Bob, Grihm... she didn't really even believe they could... why would they? Still, it did make her feel better, at least a little.

The water rushed out of the fountain with a roar, though a calming one. And that was all she heard... the mask, she was silent... and her silence made Nastasia worry. What was she planning? Although she couldn't hear the voice, she could feel the mask... and it was idle... waiting... watching... and it made Nastasia uneasy.
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

((I apologize if this is confusing))

She felt mildly bad. In an unusual sense of guilt, she felt responsible for Salazar's lost weapon. And, he had been a companion, of sorts. A kindred soul in these times... something she was not familiar with. For decades she had been alone. Living out her desires through Nastasia's body, but with no soul that understood... but Salazar... he liked her.

Even Nastasia knew this. While in control she had verified just what qualities he found endearing... they were all her qualities.

Regardless, she felt it was time to give her pet some encouragement... some positive reenforcement for all he had done, and all he would do. Once out of the dreaded plane of Carceri, while evaluating the profitability of said excursion, she looked at Salazar... he wore that plate over his mouth. It was unfortunate, considering the prize she wanted to give. But, she felt the need to give something.

Nastasia protested.

She beckoned Salazar to come forward, and recieve a kiss. Just a small one, on the cheek. A mild prize. She teased about the plate over his mouth, talking about next time. A suggestion, it could even be constrewn as a promise, of something more later.

Nastasia grew angry.

Salazar was a good friend. He fed her information of Deri's new plan... seeking out Nastasia's old goblin ally, the one that got away... was he in Sigil? Why would he bother returning? Perhaps the fool had a death wish. She would be more than happy to comply with that. The goblin had information on her face. She couldn't help but smirk, this relationship that had formed with Salazar, a man she once deemed useless, had proven far more worthy than anything anticipated. Far more profitable than manipulating Annoroku into getting information.

You won't get away with it! Nastasia's voice protested, deep inside her mind.

She just smirked. Things were going to get interesting.

"Stay..." Salazar had began speaking, pausing for a moment to think of his delivery... "yourself."

She laughed. "Who else would I be?"

Nastasia growled, though her voice was lost somewhere deep in the reaches of her own mind, constrained for the moment having lost control again. Me she muttered... I should be me.
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Lecture room A, the Civic Festall, was a mess. Benches scatterd around, a few broken, the podium had been thrown across the room, shreds of paper still rained down, and Nastasia laid there in pain. It had been the hardest struggle for control yet... and although she had won, she still feared... she could still hear Deri running down the hall, screaming for help.

Help, she laughed slightly at the idea. Who is going to help? Moments ago she nearly killed Deri... and it took every ounce of strength to stop that.

Then she felt the guilt, the pain. Deri, the girl she'd taken as her sister... Deri couldn't trust her anymore. Nobody could. With all the training Nastasia had gone through in hopes of finding a way to control, she'd only resulted in giving the mask more power to play with.

Nastasia started to stand up, slowly, body aching. She could hear incoming footsteps... she didn't want to deal with the reprocussions of her, literal, explosion. She closed her eyes for a moment, forcing herself to become invisible again. Then she moved, her body hurt immensely, each step took infintely more energy than Nastasia thought she would have.

She slunk by as one Sensate walked into the room and witnessed the aftermath, his reaction was as expected of his kind, "Wow... I wish I was here to experience whatever happened here."

As she moved on more she wondered where Deri had run off to... but then, it was better that she didn't know. She passed by incoming harmonium officers, charging toward the scene, but little by little she moved forward, limping and aching, clinging to the wall for balance. As she kept on, the same Harmonium passed by in the other direction, bringing the unfortunate Sensate along as a suspect.

The sensate reacted as a sensate would "I've never been a suspect before! This is fantastic!"

As soon as she made it out of the festhall she collapsed on the ground, losing her concentration and becoming visible again. She growled as she struggled to get up again. Passers by gave her little notice, afterall she was infront of the Festhall, it wasn't even remotely the strangest, or most concerning sight to see someone on the ground after a Sensate's touch.

After a minute of struggle she got up again, and forced herself invisible... but as she looked around she realized... where could she go?

The voice of the mask just laughed, softly in her mind... "This may have turned out better than I had hoped."
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Eternal silence.

How long had it been since she heard a sound? Since she saw light? Since she could even feel her own body... too long, Nastasia thought, it had been far too long.

In the cold dark recesses of her mind she waited, for that was all she could do now. Her arms, if they really were that, were shackled, holding her down, keeping her idle while the other played her games.The mask, her other self, was in control.

From time to time the spirit of the mask would take a break, appearing before her to taunt her some.

"I must say, I think I'm giving a wonderous performance." the mask said softly as it materialized, wearing a projection of Nastasia's body. "Although, I will admit, you can be tricky to play... but then your allies are quite gulible."

Nastasia snarled, "You may have fooled some of them..."

"I have..." The mask smirked as she looked to Nastasia, "In a way, I have them all fooled."

"What do you hope to gain from this?" Stas struggled against her bindings.

"You mean aside from all the fun?" a chuckle escaped the lips of the creature of the mask, "Darling, what I am gaining is my freedom... and the satisfaction of getting the better of your detestable friends."

"You're sick."

"Hardly, darling." the mask laughed, "I might think, out of the people you know, I'm the only sane one."
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Seperation Pt 1
===============

Two souls still hung on for their lives. Time was draining them, and it was impossible to gauge how many more hours were left before it all went black.

Nastasia, the tiefling, the original owner of the body, she had gone quiet some time ago. She had proven to be more resiliant than initially planned.

The other, Aur'yn. Formerly a fallen deva, now just a nomadic soul, the spirit trapped in the mask. She'd taken over many bodies over the years, and yet this one seemed to cause her the most trouble. Was in the loss of her mask that caused it to all go awry? Or was something else playing against her... she couldn't tell.

Both souls wished to end the torment, to have life. But it seemed it was all up to Aur'yn.

She was getting frustrated.

There was an option still out there, if the players were still available. Kelth and Naya had promised to help "free" Nastasia. If Aur'yn knew anything about Kelth, it was that he was a man of his word.

It wasn't difficult to locate the shirtless wonder.

If all else failed, she could seek out Marius. There were rumors, whispers, that he lived. These were only simple rumors, however, and lacked any verification.

Marius used to be a standard piece of furnature in the Bazaar. But now, he was just whispers. If nothing else, she could try and play one against the other.

Either way, she had to go to Sigil again.

Kelth was easy to locate, and the first meeting went as expected, Kelth still talked of helping, but they were still waiting on assistance from his wife, Naya.

The second meeting, however, was a surprise. The feud between Kelth and Marius had become something far more.

She heard that a man like Kelth was carrying a woman like Naya toward the barracks... and she was very injured. Aur'yn went to see what the commotion was about, she was growing irritated at the constant delays and wanted to see what was going to cost her even more time. It turned out, Kelth had been under some sort of geas... and he had nearly killed Naya. The geas was put on him via Marius, according to Kelth. This was all the information she could gather while Kelth had his hand around Aur'yn's throat.

Still, true to his word, Kelth helped Aur'yn (or more specifically, Nastasia) as he promised. The method had changed, rather than having Naya help, he saught to enlist the Rashemi Spirit Walkers, since he was heading there for other reasons. It wasn't ideal, but Aur'yn was out of options.

The resolve in Kelth's eyes changed her tune. Aur'yn had prepared lectures about how he was nieve, and trusting. Aur'yn had hoped to play some with Kelth during this process... but now, Kelth meant to bring death to those that crossed him. He had changed...

Once arriving in the hamlet Kelth once called home, Aur'yn met with the spirit walkers and shamen. She was surprised to see how welcoming they were of her despite her appearance. But, with Kelth vouching for her, that must have assisted. There was much work to be done to transfer the soul, and make it a permanent change.

As Aur'yn detailed her plan to the Rashemi, they seemed to understand, yet some seemed uneasy at the process. It was unnatural, to be certain. The multi-step process was convoluted, but Aur'yn knew what she was doing. She had been moving between bodies for years... this was just slightly different. She wasn't moving herself.
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Seperation pt2
==============

The hut was set up with two beds and a table. In the corner, there was a table for Kelth to use for whatever it was he was doing, assuming he wanted to watch.

Aur'yn was maticulous, she ensured everything was in place. The body was in place, it had been sprinkled with styx water, whiping it of any trace of its former owner. The black candles were lit, and between them the gem was placed. Then, on the hand of the new body, Aur'yn placed a ring. Not just any ring, a ring that Nastasia owned. A ring that was given to Nastasia by her former lover, Grihm.

Aur'yn chanted in celestial, while forming runes in the air above the new body. The process was already starting to drain what was left of her strength. Still, she pressed on. Once the incantation was complete, Aur'yn looked down on the empty body and smiled.

I hope you like your new home. she thought.

For the next step she turned and looked to one of the shamen. "Alright, so, once I'm down, you'll have to wait a minute, then read that scroll in your hand." She explained. "Then, come over to the table, and read this scroll. I've already translated them, for you. I just hope your accents don't mess things up." she winked then took the ceremonial dagger in hand.

Slowly Aur'yn layed down on the bed on the opposite side of the room from the other body. She placed the dagger on her chest and took a few breaths. "This is going to hurt..." With a sharp inhale she plunged the dagger down, into her flesh. After a moment she went still. Silent. Lifeless.

The Rashemi shaman she had picked waited, as he was instructed. Occasionally casting glances to Kelth, not sure if anything was supposed to happen visuall. But, nothing. After waiting a while he started to read the scroll, releasing the magic. The dagger started to glow, slightly as the words came from the shaman's mouth. Gradually, the gem on the table began to glow, as well. The light from the dagger seemed to beam from the hilt, through the blue flame of one of the candles, and into the gem. Gradually, the light faded from the dagger, and the gem burned a bright red.

Again, another minute passed before the shaman moved to the table. He picked the scroll up and read it over. His eyes narrowed and his jaw went slack a little. He turned to one of the others nearby and stated, "It says 'Take tha dagger oot of me chest, darling.'"

The shaman shrugged and moved over to Aur'yn's body and slowly pulled the dagger out of her chest. Once removed the Shaman placed it on the table, then looked around in confusion. This was not what exactly what the horned woman had explained would happen.

Slowly, Aur'yn stirred. The wound on her chest began repairing itself as she started to lift herself up and cough. "Ow." she stated. Then she gave a long pause... and that was followed by laughter.

Hysterical laughter.
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Seperation pt3
==============

"Shut yer fokkin' moouth!" Kelth exclaimed. He rose from his seat and crossed the room almost instantly, grabbing the dagger and pressing it against Aur'yn's neck. " If ye 'ave crossed me...yer story ends noow..."

"Mmm, so fiesty."Aur'yn flashed her fangy smile, "You know, if you do anything to me she's stuck in that gem. I'm not sure which fate would be worse, complete unressurectable death or an eternity trapped inside a gem with no way out."

Aur'yn slowly lifted a finger and placed it against the blade, "If you really think I'm so foolish as to try and go back on my word while we're here... while you're as irate as you are..." She laughed softly despite the blade pressing against her, "You really don't think I'm too smart then, do you?"

Without giving Kelth an opportunity to answer she continued, "Please pardon my sudden outburst, darling. I'm just so... so HAPPY!" Aur'yn grinned, "I have the place to myself now. But don't worry, I'm still going to help my old room mate move in to her new place. That's what friends do." She chuckled silently, then waited for Kelth to move.
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Seperation pt.4
==========

Kelth moved the blade away from Aur'yn's throat, " Nastasia would aid me...I would take tha stone an' make it work...one way or 'nother... But I suggest ye git tae fokkin work -noow- an' celebrate la'er...ye shoould take some lessons in timin'" He then proceeded back to his table.

Aur'yn pulled herself to her feet and brushed herself off. She still smiled, despite Kelth's threats. Aur'yn found some amusement in tormenting the man.

She stepped slowly to the glowing gem and lifted it in her hand, and paused fora moment in thought.

It would be so easy to destroy her now, like how she should have been from the start... Nastasia's life is, literally, in my hand...

She spoke aloud as she worked. "Killing me would just be a bad idea, Kelth darling. Sure, you could try to find some way of restoring dear, sweet, Nastasia. But, really, why go through all the trouble? Your answer is right here."

Aur'yn took the gem over to the new body and placed it on the dead woman's chest. With a sharp fingernail she cut ever so slightly into the corpse's flesh and placed the gem ontop of the wound.

" Do you know what your biggest mistake is?" Her right hand glowed softly at first and she lifted it to watch the light dance and sparkle, "You're always playing by someone else's rules. If you had your way, you'd have me dead, and Nastasia would have this body. But, my rules say otherwise. Instead, here we are, giving little Stas a new suit."

Aur'yn's eyes started to light up with the same power as her hand, each growing more furious by the second. "It's the same with Marius, you know. You keep playing by his rules. Sure, the first time you may have caught him, but I wouldn't really call that one a win... more a stalemate." She placed her hand ontop of the gem and paused.

"If you want to win, darling, you have to play by your own rules, not someone else's." She made motions in the air again, above the body, and chanted in celestial once more.