The Beauty of Chaos

*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

The mask had been locked in a box that could only be opened by a celestial. That was kept inside a building, hidden atop Mount Celestia.

There Aur'yn stood, as commanded, holding her head high, giving the face of a proud guardian. But, inside she did not agree with the decision. She was a soldier, a warrior, not some guard who spent hours watching for danger that would not dare come.

Her blade was sheathed, shield at her side, and her wings neatly folded against her armor. There they remained.

Days passed. Time went by without incident. But the decision continued to weigh on Aur'yn. Every so often she would suggest that the force guarding the mask was far superior to what was needed, and that she should be allowed to return to hunting devils as she was trained.

But she was not allowed.

One day, however, things started to change.

She stood as she always did, staring out in the distance, through the window, when she heard a whisper.

"Hello Aur'yn."

Aur'yn placed a hand on her sword and looked around. She was alone. For a moment she gained a hint of excitement, a possible battle. But, she was mistaken.

The door to the room crept open and in walked a familair face, "Commander!" Hashmiel said in greeting.

Aur'yn nodded to him, "Hello, Hashmiel. You are not expected on guard for some time still."

"I am aware, commander." He nodded in return, "I was hoping I could have a word, however."

"A word?"

"When you have time."

Aur'yn paused, staring at the male. After a moment she shrugged, "I am not too busy now."

Hashmiel shook his head, "I meant later, commander. Right now you are on duty."

Aur'yn stretched her wings, "On duty... I am standing and waiting for something that is not going to happen."

Hashmiel furrowed his brow, "Are... are you feeling alright, commander?"

"Yes, I am. Why?"

"It's just... Well... you are acting oddly, is all." Hashmiel said hesitantly, "You have been since the battle with the devil."

Aur'yn narrowed her eyes, "What are you suggesting?"

"Nothing... commander." Hashmiel placed his hands out to show he meant no harm.

Aur'yn took a deep breath, "We can speak later."

"Thank you, commander." Hashmiel offered a smile before he turned and trotted away, leaving Aur'yn alone once more.

Aur'yn closed her eyes to calm herself. She found a fair amount of frustration starting to build, this was unbecoming of a celestial warrior.

Then the whisper came again. "Hello Aur'yn."

Her eyes darted open and she looked around again. Hashmiel hadn't returned, she was alone again. But in the back of her mind she recognized the voice. Slowly she turned to look at the box she was guarding.

"You..." she said quietly.

The voice laughed, echoing in her mind, "I told you we weren't done."
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

More time passed. Aur'yn stood guard as expected. And every session of guarding was the same. The mask would greet her. Throughout her session it would talk to her, that silver tongue spun tales. Sometimes it would speak of things that had happened, other times it spoke of its plans.

Aur'yn would have been lying if she had stated she didn't find a sliver of enjoyment in having some entertainment while standing guard. Some of the mask's stories were amusing anecdotes. Most were twisted to make the devil seem like a victim, or a hero. Aur'yn knew it wasn't all true, but a story was a story.

She had told Hashmiel about the voice, not mentioning where she knew it came from. He stated he had never heard anyone while he guarded. The mask only spoke to Aur'yn. She dared not bring it up with any others.

Some years after the initial entrapment, Aur'yn was standing guard...

"... and then he showed up, all covered in grease!" the mask's voice finished off an anecdote. "I have seen many things, but the look on his face, was priceless."

Aur'yn laughed. "I can only imagine."

The door pushed open and Hashmiel walked in, "Only imagine what?"

Aur'yn cleared her throat, "Oh, nothing. Just... passing the time." She smiled. "What are you doing here?"

"You keep avoiding me." Hashmiel stated.

Aur'yn shook her head, "That is entirely untrue."

Hashmiel shrugged, "Anyway, I came to tell you, they refused your plan again. I do not know why you keep trying. It is not our decision, commander."

Aur'yn rubbed her forehead, "Because I am a commander, Hashmiel. I am not a guard. I want to be out there."

"What are they refusing?" The mask asked in Aur'yn's head.

She turned to the box with a glance, but didn't respond to it. She then looked to Hashmiel and shook her head, "Do you not miss the excitement? What we used to do?"

"I am happy to do what is asked of me. Aur'yn. You used to be happy to do that as well."

"I used to be a commander." Aur'yn crossed her arms.

Hashmiel gave her the same look he had been since they had captured the mask. He saw her in a different light, he worried that something was wrong. On many occasions he suggested that she seek cleansing to ensure she wasn't tainted. Aur'yn refused every time.

"Please, speak with me when you are done this time." Hashmiel stated, as he had done many times. "I worry."

"You worry needlessly." Aur'yn smirked a bit, "I'm fine darling. Honest."

Hashmiel turned then paused, "... darling?"

Aur'yn laughed lightly, "Sorry."

"No... it's alright. I've just never heard you use the word."

"It slipped out, sorry." Aur'yn gave him a dismissive wave, "I didn't mean anything by it."

Hashmiel slowly walked away, taking a moment to glance back at his once commander in her current state. He worried regardless of her insistence that she was fine. He could see she was not fine. He suspected the corruption of the mask, but he had no proof. Aur'yn only acted this way when she was guarding. Other times she would just keep to herself. Acting quiet and compliant. Still, he left. He had things to attend to.

The mask asked again, "What was that about?"

Once Aur'yn was sure Hashmiel was out of earshot she responded, "Nothing."

"No, it was something, my dear. Tell me. I talk your ear off constantly. You should tell me a story."

Aur'yn rolled her eyes, "Well... I am a soldier."

"And a fine one at that. I do often wonder why they've got you guarding little old me."

"You're dangerous."

"I'm stuck. I'm a mask, I can't even move. How dangerous is that?"

Aur'yn argued, "You'd be dangerous if someone let you out."

"You mean if someone managed to climb mount celestia, somehow break into this building, open your magical 'angels only' box, and THEN free me... yes, I suppose in that sort of case I might be dangerous to some people... even then, you destroyed my body, my dear. I'm barely existing now."

"I still don't want to chase you down again."

"Please. There's no reason for BOTH of us to be stuck here, you know. You're better than this."

Aur'yn smirked a bit, "You're flattering me."

"I'm being honest, my dear. I've never met such a formidable opponent. You should be praised. They should have a parade in your honor... put up a statue. Not turn you into a living one." The mask hissed.

"Point?"

"You should be out there doing what you do best. Destroying evil, rotten, bad people... like me."

"I will agree with that sentiment. Still, I can not."

"Why? Daddy won't let you play? That's mean. What kind of life are you living where you're not allowed to do what you want? And you call my kind evil? That, my dear, is torture."

Aur'yn turned toward the box, "It's service for the greater good."

"The greater good for whom?"

Aur'yn narrowed her eyes.

"Do you want to hear my idea?"

Aur'yn didn't answer.

"I'm going to propose something... you'll say no, but I want you to hear me out anyway. Take me out and-"

"No."

"AND... let me finish. Take me out and go carry on your mission anyway. You'll still be guarding me as long as I'm with you, right? You can guard a silly little mask at the same time as you do some real work... the work you were meant for."

"No." Aur'yn repeated.

"Think about it. You'll be out there, using your strength for the good the way you see it. Not because someone else says you should. In here you're wasting away. That is a fate that I would say is worse than mine. What kind of thanks is this? You did you job and they throw you in a room with something that can't move in the off chance someone manages to find a way to open it? I mean, wouldn't it be more proactive for you to be out there stopping the people who might be coming up with some ways to free me? That seems more an effective use of your time if you ask me, dear."

Aur'yn turned around and huffed, "You can just stop talking, you will not convince me to take you out."

The mask didn't respond.

Aur'yn stood there for a minute, then turned her head back and shouted, "did you hear me?"

"Yes." the mask responded plainly. "If you're happy, I'm wasting my time... you are happy? Right?"

"I..." Aur'yn paused.

"That's what I thought, dear."
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

The Celestials treaded forward, following through a trail of portals, each leading to a sight of destruction. Many had the devil's minions hanging behind to offer some resistance. Very little, but some. The celestial warriors made quick work of them without giving pause.

Aur'yn could feel her goal drawing nearer. The devil was fleeing, it didn't have time to formulate a plan any longer. Its corruption would come to an end at last. No innocent would be infected by this embodiment of greed any longer. This made her smile.

The five dashed headlong into a cavern, finding the fiend standing over a pile of gold. Slowly the beast turned. It was tall but slender in its masculine form. A long tail whipped back and forth behind the devil's back. It flashed a smile, "Hello, friends. Welcome! To what do I owe this visit?"

"Silence your forked tongue!" Hashmiel roared.

Aur'yn stepped forward, "For your crimes against innocent-"

The devil laughed, "Innocent? My dear, those were most definitely not innocents."

Aur'yn cleared her throat and continued, "And in the name of Helm, we are here to put you to an end. If you surrender, I will promise a quick and painless demise. If not... well..." She smirked a little.

"You'd prefer I didn't? My my, and I thought you angels were nice and sweet little creatures. I thought you didn't like hurting people."

"For one, you're not a person." Aur'yn stated, "And secondly, we punish the wicked. I see no harm in liking that I help purify the taint left by your kind."

The devil leaned forward, placing its hands on its hips, "Lies. You love the thrill of the fight. I can see it in your eyes."

"Commander, we should not let this abomination speak any longer." Hashmiel spoke with determination, "It only seeks to corrupt. Now it is trying to corrupt us."

"If it thinks it can corrupt true celestials, then it is far less intelligent than what credit I have been giving it." Aur'yn stated. She lifted her sword, "Your time comes to an end now."

"And what a time it has been!" exclaimed the devil, "How long have we been playing this game, my dear? How many decades?"

"Far too long." Aur'yn stated.

With that said she rushed forward, her soldiers in tow, directly toward the devil. The monstrosity flicked its hands forward, sending three of the celestials flying backwards, leaving Aur'yn and Hashmiel to stand. The continued to charge. Aur'yn spun and slashed her sword, the burning blade colliding with the monster's forearm. The devil roared and clawed at Aur'yn, knocking her off balance. A quick thrust of its foot sent Aur'yn backwards, causing her to fall on her back.

"Commander!" Hashmiel shouted. With increased vigor he attacked the devil with his greatsword. Hashmiel dropped his stance to one more suited for one on one combat.

Aur'yn picked herself up and charged back in, her wings flapping, lifting her off the ground, giving her charge more power. With her shield strapped to her arm she slammed into the devil, crashing her opponent into the cavern wall. She growled a little in her throat.

"You're getting angry." The devil laughed softly, "How un-celestial."

Aur'yn stepped back, her shield blocking the incoming attack and she slashed again, slicing into the flesh of the devil's chest.

Hashmiel slashed his large blade, severing the devil's arm. Aur'yn then slipped her blade up, pressing it against the devil's neck. She panted as she stared down her foe. "This is your end."

"Not quite." The devil laughed. Once more he moved his hand, just fast enough to stop Aur'yn's blade from piercing him. He tossed the duo backwards far enough for him to bolt off to the side.

Aur'yn took off after him immediately. With the assistance of her blood stained wings she was slightly faster, slowly drawing in on her prey. Her eyes filled with determination. This was going to be the end, she had worked too hard for another escape.

The devil used its remaining arm to push along the wall, heading deeper into the caverns. He turned a corner and found himself at a dead end. The moment he stopped he turned in time to have Aur'yn's blade pierce through his chest.

"Good." The devil laughed as blood seeped from his wounds, "I'm glad it was you, Aur'yn."

"This is your punishment." Aur'yn pushed, forcing the devil backwards in its suddenly weakened state.

"Perhaps." The devil still chuckled, "But we're not done, you and I." The devil's one arm reached up and wrapped around his own head. With a roar its physical form faded in a fantastic light, and to the ground fell a plain white mask.

Aur'yn could still hear the echoes of the devil's voice. She knelt down and picked the mask up from the ground. "Hm." She smiled a little.

Hashmiel caught up, "Where is it?" He looked around the room where Aur'yn stood triumphant.

She showed him the mask, "Here. And here he shall stay for eternity. Let us return and see if we can have it guarded properly so it never sees the light of day again"
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

More time passed. More guarding. The conversations between Aur'yn and the devil in the mask followed the same theme day in, day out. He would try and convince her to take the mask and flee the mountain. She refused every offer, but the doubt weighed on her mind more and more. She'd resist aloud, but when she was alone the ideas would roll through her mind. And they started to make sense to her.

It was in the dark of night when she met with Hashmiel. Aur'yn was wearing a simple tunic as opposed to her armor. Still, she carried her sword at her side, she always carried it.

"Thank you for meeting me, commander." Hashmiel bowed his head. His chest was bare, save for the strap that ran across his body to hold his greatsword.

Aur'yn gave him a dismissive wave, "You can stop calling me that. Just Aur'yn will suffice."

"But comm-" Hashmiel stopped himself and cleared his throat, "But that's what you are."

"What I was, Hashmiel." Aur'yn shook her head, "I'm not commanding anything anymore."

The male dropped the topic with a simple nod. "At any rate, than you for meeting with me. How are you feeling?"

"Fantastic." Aur'yn answered with heavy sarcasm.

"I do not believe that." Hashmiel stated, "Comm- Aur'yn. As I have stated, I am concerned for your well being."

"I appreciate that, but I wish you would stop bringing it up. I've told you, I'm fine. I'm not corrupted, or tainted, or whatever word you're using. I'm just..." Aur'yn bit her lip.

"You're what?"

She looked the man over, "Do you ever think, maybe... our superiors aren't so infallable?'

"Pardon?" Hashmiel raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Do you ever think, maybe, they might be wrong? Maybe their decisions aren't absolute, and maybe they're mistaken." Aur'yn explained.

Hashmiel took a long moment to let that soak in, then he responded, "No. I have never doubted them."

"Why? They're creatures with minds. Minds that make mistakes."

"This is about you guarding the mask."

Aur'yn rubbed her forehead, "Well, partly, yes. But it's more than that."

"How so?" Hashmiel shifted his weight.

Aur'yn heaved a sigh once more, "Haven't you ever wanted something?"

"Naturally." Hashmiel replied.

"More than to do your duty, I mean." Aur'yn elaborated, "Haven't you ever wanted to do something that you thought was right, not someone else?"

"Yes, I have wanted things." Hashmiel explained, "But duty comes first."

"Why?"

"Commander..." Hashmiel shook his head, "Do... do you hear yourself?"

"Yes, I know what I am saying."

"Why are you even considering such things?" Hashmiel narrowed his eyes a bit, "It's that devil, isn't it? So it did corrupt you."

"I am not corrupt, and you will watch your tongue!" Aur'yn snapped, her hand slid down onto the hilt of her sword. "I am just thinking clearly for once. You should try and do the same for a change."

"No, commander Aur'yn, you aren't thinking clearly. What you're saying is wrong."

"Wrong to them! Not to me!" She argued. "Why can't you see this? I'm a being with a mind of my own, not some machine or golem to follow everyone's orders. I want to do good, to hunt evil like I used to. I can't do that where I am."

"That voice you heard..." Hashmiel treaded hesitantly into the topic, "It was the devil's, wasn't it?"

"So what if it was? What difference would it make?"

"It's telling you these things, and you're listening." Hashmiel stated, "It's trying to get you to fall, Aur'yn."

"That's absurd." Aur'yn crossed her arms.

"Listen to yourself. You're talking about what YOU want."

Aur'yn shrugged, "So?"

"Do you know what that is?" Hashmiel stepped forward, reaching a hand out to rest on the woman's shoulder, "It's greed."

Aur'yn batted his arm away, "No, it's not. It's free will, independance."

Hashmiel closed his eyes for a moment to gather himself, "What is it asking you to do?"

"Nothing."

Hashmiel caught her, "No, not nothing. The devil speaks to you, it wants you to do something, doesn't it?" He paused again, "It wishes you to free it... that's why you're speaking of independance."

"I'm not going to free it, even if that was possible. I spent too much time trying to catch it in the first place." Aur'yn stretched her wings a little, "I'm not a fool."

Hashmiel bit his tongue, he dared not argue that despite all evidence to the contrary. "Aur'yn, I am not certain what to do about this situation."

"You don't need to do anything." Aur'yn stated, "Just drop it."

"I am worried-"

"You worry too much, darling." Aur'yn laughed softly.

Hashmiel raised his voice a little, "I am worried that you are going to do something stupid."

"Hashmiel, darling. If I do anything, you know it will not be due to a lack of intellect." Aur'yn grinned.
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Hashmiel came upon a sight that brought pain in his gut. The building door was left open. The box was on the ground, empty. One guard, a former associate under Aur'yn's command was lying on the floor, dead. He knew what had happened, and he blamed himself.

"Commander..."

--------------

Aur'yn fled.

Her wings flapped as her legs moved swiftly over the grassy decline. She knew of a portal where she could retreat from the mountain. In her hand she held the mask tightly, she dared not let it slip from her grip. It belonged to her now.

Trumpets sounded, that was what Aur'yn was afraid would happen. The hunt was on, and she was their prey. The slight irony was not lost on her.

She chanted the key word as she had so many times, opening the portal, then she dove through without hesitation. Rolling onto the stone ground of the Outlands. She still didn't stop, her legs kept pumping. With enough speed she lept off a cliffside, letting her wings take over, pushing her off into the distance.

"This is exciting!" the voice of the mask echoed in her mind.

"You're not helping." Aur'yn stated. "You said you knew where I could start, so start talking."

"Yes, yes. Pardon the happiness, my dear. There's a prime where a former associate of mine is taking refuge. We can start there. Getting there should be simple enough, head to where you defeated me."

Aur'yn nodded, "Easy enough."

Aur'yn moved swiftly, following the directions through portals until she gradually made it back to the cavern where she had her showdown with the devil. Once inside she leaned against a rock wall and panted.

"Tired already, my dear? Am I wearing you out?" The mask's voice laughed softly.

"I just need a moment." Aur'yn stated as she struggled to catch her breath.

"Alright, but make it quick. The fun part is starting soon." The mask continued to jest.

Aur'yn stood up straight and looked about, "Now what?"

"Head down to where you stabbed me. I'll give you the words to open the portal that will get you to where we can start having some fun."

-----------

She stood covered in blood. Her opponents lie in pieces around her. She'd slayed the lot of them on the mask's word, under the understanding they were followers of another devil.

Not one was spared. Aur'yn felt invigorated. It had been so long since she was in combat. She was disappointed that these mortal beings were unable to put up a decent challenge, but it was just a start of things to come.

Aur'yn left the secluded temple and made her way toward a stream where she sought to wash off the blood from her.

She peeled her armor off, setting it by a nearby tree. She would clean her equipment off once she had cleaned her body. Once bare she stepped into the running water, under the cover of the night, and let the river wash away the majority of the stains.

She kept the mask in her hand still, making the act of cleansing more difficult, but she felt it necessary, she dared not let it out of her grasp, someone might try to take it.

She dunked her head in the water to allow her hair to rinse. Once up she saw a figure standing nearby. Aur'yn quickly wrapped her arms around her exposed chest. She narrowed her eyes, piercing into the darkness.

Then she growled, "Hashmiel?"

"Hello, Aur'yn." The male said.

"How did you find me?" She inquired as she slowly waded toward the shore.

Hashmiel didn't bother with the question, "You need to come back to mount Celestia. You have disobeyed, you must receive punishment for your crime."

"You sound like someone's thrall." Aur'yn commented. She stepped from the water and noticed her former companion was averting his eyes. She laughed, "What's the matter, darling? Don't like what you see?" She teased as she dropped her arm, letting the night air kiss her skin.

"Aur'yn..." Hashmiel shook his head, "What happened to you?"

The female continued with her teasing, "Or, maybe you do like what you see. You're just afraid to admit it because daddy won't let you have any fun." She feigned a pout.

"This is not like you. Stop." Hashmiel reached a hand around to grab the greatsword hanging from his back.

Aur'yn took a step back to get closer to her weapon, "Hash, darling, you're not actually going to fight me, are you?"

"I have no choice." He stated coldly.

"That, darling, is what you need to understand." Aur'yn picked her sword up then pointed it at Hashmiel, "You do have a choice. We always have a choice. You just refuse to make it."

"No, Aur'yn. You have forced my hand." Hashmiel slipped the blade out of its sheath, "I told you to ignore it. I've warned you for years of what was happening. I have tried to help, but you allowed that thing to poison your mind."

"Open my mind. I'm not poisoned in the least."

"How can you say that? You have spent most of your existence hunting their kind, and now you're listening to one like it's right?" Hashmiel gripped his sword tightly, lowering it slowly to his former commander. "Now, you're no better than they are."

"That is absurd. I'm not a monstrosity that's out for personal gain and trying to corrupt."

"Soldier of light? You just slaughtered a building full of innocents!"

"They were most definitely not innocent, darling." Aur'yn smirked, "I was punishing the wicked."

Hashmiel shook his head, "There is no use in trying to convince you to come back, then... I am sorry, commander."

Hashmiel murmured a phrase that caused his sword to ignite in a brilliant white light, and then he charged. His blade swiped through the air but failed to come into contact with Aur'yn. The female swiped with her blade in retaliation, she managed to liberate a pair of feathers from hashmiel's wings, but no real damage. Hashmiel stepped back and altered his battle stance. Aur'yn knew his tricks too well. She attacked and, as expected, was deflected. Hashmiel moved in closer and gave a wide swipe of his blade. Knowing in advance allowed Aur'yn time to avoid the blow, and start flapping her wings to hover over the arc of attack.

"I think you're getting slower." Aur'yn teased.

"Your words do not phase me." Hashmiel showed no emotion.

Aur'yn tilted her head, looking down at the male, "I'll bet the view from down there is marvelous."

"Forgive me, commander." Hashmiel shook his head. He pushed off the ground, dashing swiftly toward Aur'yn. A trail of light followed his blade as he swung. Once more, however, he missed. The attack left him wide open, and Aur'yn took the opportunity, but not as a soldier.

She acted like it was a game. Her weapon slapped against Hashmiel's hand, causing the man to drop his blade. She then twirled as she flew in and wrapped her arms around him. With a quick motion she planted her lips against his as they fell to the ground. At the last second she pushed off, letting him land with a thud.

Aur'yn laughed, "Mmmm, you taste divine."

Hashmiel wiped his arm over his mouth, "You think this is fun?"

Aur'yn placed a finger from her against her chin to feign being deep in thought. "You know... I think I do." She grinned widely.

"So you'd toy with me." Hashmiel shook his head, "You are not the Aur'yn I remember."

"Oh, don't act as though you didn't enjoy that." Aur'yn pointed her blade at Hashmiel accusingly. "If anything I did you a favor."

"You didn't kill me, and for that I'm grateful. Though I do not know why you would not. The Aur'yn I remember would not give her enemies a chance for retaliation." Hashmiel stood up and extended his hands toward Aur'yn, summoning a blast of holy energy. Aur'yn did the same, but nothing came from her hands. The beam struck her hard, sending her into the river.

Aur'yn emerged and coughed, "What in the..."

"Oh, dear," the voice of the mask chuckled quietly, "It seems you're without power. How ever will you smite the wicked now?"

"Don't talk to me like that!" Aur'yn snapped at the mask.

"Now now, my dear. We'll just have to find you a new way to get the power you need." The mask echoed in her mind, "And I happen to know some ways to do that."

Hashmiel placed his hands together, causing holy energy to gather about him.

"How?" Aur'yn panicked.

"Put the mask on."

"What?"

"Put the mask on! You'll gain my power!" the devil commanded, "That's the only way you will survive this."

Aur'yn looked to Hashmiel, then back to the mask, she cursed, then slid the object over her face.

"No!" Hashmiel shouted.

Light seeped around the edge of the mask and Aur'yn screamed. She felt her body become drained, then she lost consciousness. Her body slumped in the water and the mask slid off, floating down the river swiftly.

Hashmiel darted into the water to scoop the woman into his arms. There was nothing, no response. Her eyes had gone completely black.

A company of celestials showed up some hours later to claim the body and destroy it, just in case.

-------

Years passed by. Then decades...

In some secluded town, on some secluded prime, a middle aged man wandered into a costume shop to pick up a gift for his daughter, who was a fan of unique and special masks. He came upon one, a blank ceramic mask. It was simple, but he could not afford anything expensive.

He payed the sum for the object and brought it home, then handed it to the girl, barely in her teens.

"Oh, daddy, it's perfect!" she exclaimed, holding it in her hands. She inspected the inside, the shiny finish attracted her. The girl quickly ran to her room to try it on. She peered into the mirror then slowly slid the object over her face.

Pain. The mask seared onto the young girl's face, edges wrapping to fit, light shooting from the eye and mouth sockets. The girl fell to the floor.

Her father charged into the room, knocking the door down in the rush to protect his daughter. He found her on the floor, shaking in pain. "Gina!" he shouted as he reached to the girl, "Gina, are you okay?"

The girl's face turned slowly, the mask was grinning widely, "Of course, I am, daddy." The expression changed instantly to a darker, sadistic grin, "I've never felt better!"

She laughed.
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

Nastasia and Aur'yn stepped into Sigil. It was a welcome sight to them both. Nastasia took a deep breath of the not-so-fresh air. She was delighted to be back. Both women walked, in stride, towards the inn.

Nastasia turned to Aur'yn, "And where do you think you're going?"

"To my room." Aur'yn stated, "Why?"

"You must have lost your memory, it's my room." Stas responded with a smug grin.

"Since when? Your room was in the old inn that Marius and Kelth blew up. My room is in the new inn." Aur'yn stopped and placed her hands on her hips. "How do you figure it's your room? You didn't even use it."

"Who's name is it under?" Nastasia smirked.

Aur'yn sighed, "You can't be serious."

"Oh, I am." Nastasia kept walking proudly.

Aur'yn moved quickly to catch up, "Well, hang on a moment. Things in that room belong to me."

"No, I'm fairly certain that's all Nastasia's stuff." Stas grinned, "But best of luck to you. Maybe you can find an alley in the hive that hasn't been claimed."

Aur'yn dashed on ahead and stopped the other woman, "Wait, wait... That's it? You're going to just leave me?"

Nastasia furrowed her brow, "What? Yes! Of course I am. That was the plan. We seperate, you go on your merry way, and I go on mine. Everyone wins."

"W-well... what do you expect me to do now then?" Aur'yn inquired.

Nastasia shrugged, "Find a hole to die in for all I care."

"After all we've been through." Aur'yn protested, "Really, darling that's rather heartless."

Nastasia shrugged, "Yeah, a little. Good luck to ya." The woman in the Rashemi body marched passed the other, not bothering to look back.

Aur'yn watched Nastasia walk away. She frowned, "... now what am I going to do?"
*Raneguin

Posted by *Raneguin »

The Shard
=========

After nightfell, Nastasia couldn't rest. She tossed and turned in her room. The gem shard in her chest was causing her discomfort throughout the day, and she couldn't make it stop. As it had happened earlier, Nastasia figured the discomfort would subside after some time, as it usually did. But until then she found herself rubbing at the spot on her chest where it peeked out, right over her heart.

She sat up and sighed. There was no use trying to sleep right now. Instead she arose and re-dressed herself. She slapped on the dark tunic that was given to her by Liliara earlier, and pulled the hood and cape on overtop before she walked out into the night. If she was going to be awake, she would make the best of her time.

Gradually she found her way around Sigil, then to the door she sought. She looked around cautiously, then knocked. No response. She tried the door handle, but it was locked. Slowly she crouched and pulled a set of picks from her pocket and got to unlocking the door.

Inside she saw a single room, mostly empty save for a few chairs. The walls had writing all over them, as did the cieling and floor. Some of the words glowed brightly. In the middle stood Aur'yn, her hands were glowing and she chanted silently.

The light of the writing she pointed to grew, glowing bright blue, which was incredibly difficult for Nastasia to look at. The light grew and grew in intensity, then fizzled and died off. The writing on the wall burned for a second, then was little more than a black mark.

Aur'yn pouted. "Oh pooey. That should have worked."

Nastasia cleared her throat.

Aur'yn didn't bother looking to the woman, but she spoke none the less, "Hello, darling. It's so wonderful to see you again. I hope you didn't have trouble finding the place."

"We need to talk." Nastasia stated coldly.

"Yes... yes we do." Aur'yn grinned. Her glowing eyes scanned the wall, studying the wriring. "Tsk, I'll have to figure this out later."

"What are you doing, anyway?" Nastasia inquired.

"Oh, nothing." Aur'yn laughed softly, "Putting on a light show."

Nastasia rolled her eyes, "Forget I asked."

"So," Aur'yn floated towards a chair and sat down then crossed her legs, "To what do I owe this visit? You said we needed to talk."

"Aye, it's about the shard." Nastasia crossed her arms, "I need to know about it."

"Certainly, it's a shard of a gem that once stored your soul." Aur'yn explained with a gesture of her hand, "I had to put it in you to transfer you to that body."

"It's glowing," Nastasia stated, "Like a heartbeat."

"I'm aware."

"I can't take it out, can I?"

Aur'yn shook her head slowly, "No, darling, you can not. If we remove it, you'll either die, or... Well, probably die."

"Probably?"

"Most likely. I'd say there's a ninety percent chance of your untimely death if you remove that. For one, it's in your heart. It's keeping your... we'll call it essense, flowing through you. Essentially marking that body as your territory. So, if it's removed not only will you bleed out and die, but your essense will follow with it, and... poof. No more Nastasia. It would be very unpleasant." Aur'yn spoke as if the results were trivial, of no consequence at all.

"So that's all it's doing?"

Aur'yn nodded, "Why do you ask?"

"'cuz it's irritating me." Nastasia explained as she rubbed her hand over the spot again, "A lot."

"That will pass. You do know that the procedure used on you is a little experimental. It's not like I've done exactly that before. Usually my victims are alive and still inside, then I absorb the spirit into me, thus making it my own. It saves this whole shard business." Aur'yn explained, "You'll have an easier time next time you move."

"Ain't going to be a next time." Nastasia growled.

"So you keep claiming." Aur'yn laughed softly, "I do hope I can be there when the time comes though. We'll see how strong your mettle is." She finished the statement with a taunting grin.

Nastasia simply narrowed her eyes.

"Was there anything else?" Aur'yn asked, tilting her head slightly to the side.

"No, that's all." Nastasia turned and headed to the door.

"So, how is Kelth?" Aur'yn asked, her eyes slowly turning to look back at the runes, "I hope he's well. I do miss him."

"He ain't back yet." Nastasia shook her head.

"You are a horrible liar, my dear." Aur'yn grinned, "But next time you talk to him, let him know I'm still hoping to speak with him. We have much to discuss still."

Nastasia growled and pulled the door open, "Whatever." She walked out before the horned woman could add another comment, then she made her way back where she came. Her hand still rubbed over the spot where the shard was.