Charta Troile

TheoremOfNeutrality

Posted by TheoremOfNeutrality »

In your hands is an old spellbook. The name on the interior reads 'Troile'. The leather cover is well-worn by the passing touch of fingers, and its brass clasp is tarnished from use and exposure. Between ancient prayers, arcane formulae and ontological theory are small journal entries; these are written in appendices, scribbled in margins, written upside down between scribbled images...

Visions
In the end, it all boils down to power. Not the crass power of the autocrat, or the meandering power of the wizard. Power is so much more than our leverage over others. Its true form is leverage over one's self.

Our inability to comprehend power in its true form as the cosmic currency is what undermines and underpins are inability to form truly coherent societies, separate from our environments. The transmission and movement of power is the underpinning of reality. The Incantifiers understood this – but only in its basest, most banal aspects. They only saw power as the fidelity of one’s tools, not the wisdom used to fashion the tools in the first place. A foolish, and costly, mistake.

I refuse to repeat it. Power is truly in understanding, practical or impractical, to form a homogeneous foundation of knowledge. Knowledge guards us against stepping beyond what our power allows, and likewise allows to grow that power in the first place. Power is the goal, wisdom the solution.

I find it difficult to even describe the contents of my mind to the Arcanaloths, some days. It’s not their fault. They have a limit, a threshold that it takes them great effort to cross. I have no limit. No threshold. My mind seems to constantly overflow with knowledge, interconnections, fractal geometry painted on the insides of my skull, endless libraries where the books fuse together of their own will to expose new insights. It all likely means nothing, just the random mutterings of a crackpot. It’s intensely lonely.

Why have you chosen me?
The core function of reality is a process of emanation, where energy fields dependently originate from one another and form a non-cohesive field of causality that, taken as its sum total, suggests a singular Source of all being. This Source is both Singular and Multitude, at once both a totality, and minutiae. Within the core of the Multiverse simultaneously exists all energy forms, and by extension, all things – as all matter is ultimately a frequency property of energy emanated. This energy exists in its rawest, basest form – unshaped and not patterned, capable of endless transmogrification into newly emanated, more specific and less pure forms.

Energy is best described as movement, outwardly expressed directional phenomena, defined best by specific resonances which define its nature. Emanation is the means by which a base resonance reproduces, with each new reproduction creating slightly different intonations and thus producing separate energy types. These resonant energy forms create natural barriers between themselves, forming semi-cohesive ‘layers’ of perceived reality in which specific phenomena is possible to occur. Likewise, this basis of energy theory creates the basis of understanding how the movement of emanation occurs: all energy emanates outwards in two directions, becoming both larger and less complex in scale, and smaller and more complex as well.

Reality, therefore, infinite regresses and progresses between more and less complex energy fields. This constant movement is what gives rise to the multitude forms of matter and energy as it presents in the Multiverse, and likewise enables understanding the structure of matter, consciousness, and non-resonant energy fields.
TheoremOfNeutrality

Mistakes
I bear witness to the startling beauty, its monochrome and jagged-sharp lines pooling onward and ever deeper into spiraling complexity. I can’t help but solve the puzzles. It’s some ingrained need, some sort of twisted propensity of my mind – and each new riddle solved begets an answer that is merely the next question. Deeper and deeper. I know what awaits me at the bottom, but I don’t care. I still must cling to folly.

Imperfection is what defines all things, exploiting the flaws are how we unravel the nature of function. Imperfection is the key. The final secret. This flawed, leaking machine is only the sum of its mistakes, as we all are.
The process by which energy moves across infinite space is best understood to the layman as the concept of ‘time’. Were time linear, it would render reality in infinite space impossible – as it would likewise take an infinite amount of time for the Multiverse to sustain its own existence. Therefore, energy is best described in the terms of the Unity of Rings. In other words, time and energy both move in recursion. Recursion is best described as a process by which a thing is defined in terms of itself, without the necessity of abstraction. Time is not abstract.

For the purposes of understanding the movement of resonant energy fields, recursion is a property of emanation – energy moves not by itself, but by a process of dilating itself and splitting into new resonant fields, constantly and imperfectly repeating its own movement. This is where the observation of the Unity of Rings comes from – all things begin where they end because reality perpetuates through imperfect repetition, thus creating disparity and change.
TheoremOfNeutrality

Memory
I don’t fondly remember childhood. But, between the moments of humiliation, I remember most fondly the smell of tomato vines and mint leaves. Near our old home in Blackchapel, there was once a small park – a charity affair some newly arrived noble used to show their supposed good will towards the working populace. It was a dingy affair, from what I was told – a simple oval walkway around which grass grow and flowers poked up through through the stone. When the Conjunction happened, all the parks were quickly converted into farms – and that park was one of the first casualties.

Mother was the one who had planted the tomato plants. Twenty of them, much too close together to make space for the other families in our little area to grow their own plants. I saw them as tiny sprouts, and watched them grow as I also grew. When the taunting and the cruelty of the other urchins would grow too much, I’d also dart into the vines, my small body able to hide in a small hollow in the green strands. In the hollow grew a few bushels of wild mint that had simply decided to take residence. I started stashing books I’d steal or borrow there

And on the rare sunny days, the light would sometimes peak through and cast onto the fruit of the tomato vines. I’d boggle at the sight of the fruit, and marvel at how the same flowers always grew into new fruit each year. From whence did it come? How did it appear seemingly from nowhere? I’d always stare at the sun, wondering of its part and fall asleep, dreaming amidst the fragrant mint leaves.
There exists a singular resonant energy field from which all others arise. A ‘base note’ in the entirety of the energy fields that comprise reality. This energy is given numerous names in various disciplines, but one of the most common is to label it as the fifth element, Quintessence. This energy exists in a static, unpurposed state – perfectly repeating itself without disparity. Or, at least – it should. However, it appears that the process of emanation itself acts to begin purposing quintessence into vaguely different forms that, compiled over an entire causal process, beget varied types of energy and matter. This negates the need for a so called ‘Prime Mover’, and instead points to a dependent origination.

Another element to Quintessence is its receptiveness to the input of conscious beings. Its natural proclivity to being purposed enables a supposed ‘truth’ of the Multiverse, that Belief is its primary foundation. Ultimately, there is no ‘correct’ Belief because Quintessence responds to them all equally. Thus, understanding Belief as a central facet of reality’s function, but not it’s primary function is vital to grasping its nature.
TheoremOfNeutrality

Laws
They all say it is the Multiverse. Again, again, again - I hear the same. Malignant fools who speak of a will higher than they, and how it agrees with them; infecting my own faction. Even the Sign of One, who supposedly focus on the individual, tether their worthiness to the Multiverse's reaction to their actions. No true Multiversal creator would need proof, their beneficence would be plainly obvious to all viewers. No. I will not content myself with perfection. The Multiverse doesn't shape us. We shape ourselves. We are the result of our choices. Free Will is the true forge. The only forge.

Laws exist. They span the Multiverse. But they dictate the motion of the cogs, the angles of Sacred Geometry. Architecture. The space within which consciousness arises. Laws are not truth, for the physical and spiritual planes are lies - or, at the very least, not truth. These people invest themselves in their variations on the same theme. There is no truth in just grasping the intricacies of the Machine, one must be ready to command their place within it. To transcend it. To craft a machine of their own to rival and surpass it. I will be satisfied only with the impossible.

I've spent my life cataloguing the function of this Machine and now that I've gone further and gotten closer than ever, I comprehend that there is only one truth.

To Thine Own Self Be True.
To properly understand the consequences of these revelations, we must first establish a few specific notes on how the Cage, in effect, functions:
1. Sigil exists in all places simultaneously. While it is effectually above the Outlands, it is simultaneously between all possible locations at once.
2. Sigil is a finite expanse in which space is infinitely bent. Sigil’s portals function even with the strict Astral lock on the Torus itself, enabling Astral access only for the purposes of ‘planar’ travel (teleportation within the city itself). Thus, it requires a different mechanism for portal creation than the typical methods relying on the Astral Plane. Sigil can bend space between its own position and that of any other location in existence, so long as both spots end and begin in enclosed locations – enabling instantaneous travel without the Astral Plane.
3. Sigil’s space can fold on itself, creating sub-dimensional pockets. This is the best explanation for certain oddities of the Cage (such as what lies outside of the ring, or how there is no maximum depth one can dig into Undersigil without reaching the ‘bottom’). This further gives credence to the nature of the qliphah, but is likewise supported by the existence of the Mazes.
TheoremOfNeutrality

Present

Just beyond our step, in the distance, there glimmers a soft light. It flickers - gently passing back and forth between here and then, now and soon. We reach out with our hand to grasp it, but its ephemera ever passes between our fingers. We dare to believe, with all the pain and frustration, that it can be within our grasp. We believe, arrogantly, that we know how best to approach it. We must, for only in that arrogance is the means to tread forward, with the surety that we will persist.

The agony is worth it, for the reward is beyond our scope of knowing. The promise of all we might dream of laying before us, the dream of a different tomorrow. Only in arrogance is the belief that we can control how we change, and in the light, we see all we ever truly wished to be.

This city gives the clearest view of that soft light, than anywhere else in the Multiverse. It draws us in by the wagon-load, seekers and pilgrims all, searching in vain for where we might reach it. Yet, it is a circle and we always start where we began. We can never truly reach the light - for as much as all these people think they might climb atop each other to finally grasp it.

Reaching the light was never the point. Climbing for it is.
Energy exists without the requirement of definition. It persists beyond the mind's imagination, and continues to exist even if the imagination wills it not to. Energy pervades all things, all layers of reality. Beings, in their cleverness, have observed how carefully controlled bursts of Belief caused the resonance forms of the energy to change. Even cleverer beings discovered that, in their own willingness to confront adversity, in their commitment to selfhood, they could command the energy to change as they wished. They named it magic, and this confrontation of adversity is Will.

All magic follows this fundamental principle, even as differing traditions altered techniques for drawing upon it. Arcane, Divine, Psionic - these three techniques underpin all other magical disciplines. They are all, ultimately, the same - they are merely different ways to observe a problem, and provide a solution. All magic springs from the same fundamental source - there is no 'arcane' energy, no 'psionic' power. Energy is energy - all that changes is its form of purposing. Forcing difference between these things is illusory.

Also illusory is the belief in the separation of these three disciplines. The full truth of magic, the hidden consciousness that persists at the heart of all energy, is only visible when one has three eyes. Purposefully blinding one of them out of devotion to another is madness.