A true Death

Sarin

Posted by Sarin »

A cheater. If this is a test, its a bad one. Devil or Angel would go after her. I don't want to touch that. Might be cursed.

Sarin paused for a moment. As the other Devil's had said. Have faith. Have faith. She didn't have faith. What did she have? Anger. Rage. Homesick? Was she homesick? Homesick for what. She always felt homesick. It was never hot enough in the cage, in the other planes. She didn't want heat right now

Massive bones. A rib cage that hit the sky. Like the dead god on the astral. That was probably all that was left of him. A skull, and a rib cage. Nothing more.

Sarin raised her hand, and attempted to levitate the bundle. she peered at it more closely.
mimifearthegn
Site Admin

Posted by mimifearthegn »

Sarin tried to levitate the bundle, but it seemed supernaturally heavy. It barely budged from the crone's shoulders, but it was knocked somewhat askew. The crone grumbled, and re-adjusted it, fussing about how that wasn't helpful. In the process, a flap popped open, and some of the contents spilled out.

Bones. Or at least, a skull, and some fragments, with more stuffed inside the pocket which just burst open. From the look of the bundle, and the slight rattling noise it makes as the crone adjusts it, you wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing wasn't filled with bones.

"Useless!" huffs the crone, in Sarin's direction. "Fine, if you don't want to help, I'll keep my secrets to myself! Have fun with the angry celestials."
Sarin

Posted by Sarin »

Sarin reaches down too pick up a bone, looking it over. She turns her gaze up, and focuses on the soul, trying to see where she should have been bound. She reaches into her bag for a very, very strong potion of bulls strength, and quaffs it.

Bones. Just like him.

Sarin shakes her head. Sentimentality and... Mourning. Mourning what? Avet-tzu was no loving fatherly god. He was wind and song and lighting and death. What was there to mourn. She was torn down, but she had doubts before her fall.

Sarin squeezes the bone.

The last of his commands I followed. We smote a cult for worshiping this new creature we had never seen or heard of. A demon. The demon. Why cant I remember what happened?

Sarin reaches forward, and helps with the back of the sack. She is still hobbling, bleeding, and leaning on her staff. but the potion gives her enough strength that one arm can somewhat help.

"Tell me your story."
mimifearthegn
Site Admin

When Sarin looks into the crone's soul, she sees a lifetime of vile deeds: murder, and foul magic. She had been cruel, shamelessly used others for her own advancement, and extended her life with questionable magics. Her name is carved into the skins of the petitioners of Gehenna, and if she hadn't managed to sneak onto Mount Celestia, that's where she'd be now.

Whatever the bones might mean separately to Sarin, for this woman, they are her victims. And as she helps the woman shoulder the burden, they start to feel like Sarin's victims too.

As they shuffle along, the woman starts talking:

"Oh I'm nobody much in the grand scheme of things. . . my hometown is in Chessenta, and my family have been herbalists and healers for generations. I carried on as the physician for my town when my mother passed. . . and I've always had some small magical ability.

"My magical talents served me in good stead for years. . until such things went out of fashion. Fate can be so fickle. I made a few preparations before the witch-hunters caught up to me, though. That's why I'm here. Never hurts to plan ahead."
Sarin

Posted by Sarin »

A lies are based in a truth

"How did it start out? A failed birth perhaps, where you killed the child? Maybe a poisoning? Maybe you where wronged, and struck back."

Sarin looks into the bag, counting the skulls.

"You would not like it here. And when, not if, you where found, your reward would be total annihilation."

Was this a test, or a coincidence? Probably a test. I have probably already failed by simply not smiting her. I probably should. Not like you can talk somebody into jumping into Gehenna. But she should end up where she is destined.
mimifearthegn
Site Admin

The woman looks over at Sarin, and there's a cunning glint in her eye before she finally answers.

"I won't lie. I wasn't always successful. There were some hard cases sent my way over the years. I was midwife to this one woman, the sweetest thing. But she was frail, and she bled out while giving birth to a stillborn child. A true tragedy. The family was devastated.

"A plague came through town a few years back, and took many with it. I saved all I could. But I am no cleric, and never had been.

"So perhaps some blamed me. Sometimes that's easier than accepting that fate. But truly, I don't know who sent the witchhunters after me. I would like to believe it was just one dark-hearted soul."

She shook her head sadly.
Sarin

Posted by Sarin »

Sarin stops moving with the bag of bones, and attempts to stop the crone

"No, I mean the first life you took on purpose. Your a murderer. You cannot hide that from me."

Sarin continues too count the skulls.

"Why here? You could have snuck in anywhere, but you chose here? Celestia is flat the worst choice you could have picked."

Sarin rests on her staff, watching the crone.

"I'm not judging you. I'm not that much of a hypocrite. Merely asking."
mimifearthegn
Site Admin

The crone got that shifty look in her eyes again, but then she sighed.

"Fine. What's the harm.

"I was eight years old the first time the plague came to my town. My uncle fell ill, and he was staying with us while my mother cared for him. One day, she had to go out and gather more medicines, and left me in charge.

"But she was gone for hours, and he was just. . . rasping. This horrible rattling breath. And I was sitting there on and on, listening to it, until I couldn't take it anymore, and thought it would be better to simply end it. I put a pillow over his face, and smothered him.

"I knew it was wrong, of course, as soon as I did it. And I told my mother that he simply stopped breathing on his own when she returned. She was very upset. . . and its haunted me all those years that I caused her such pain.

"Its what drew me to the magical arts. The hope that maybe, someday, I'd be able to undo such mistakes. I learned the hard way that you can't, of course; not without the blessings of the gods."

By this point, Sarin had counted up to around a hundred skulls. There were still more.

"As for why this place. . . well! Of all the upper planes, there are rules here. The path up this mountain is a path of redemption. If I can get to the top, then I'm worthy. I can stay. Those are the rules."
Sarin

Posted by Sarin »

“At least a hundred. You have killed at least a hundred. And you extended you life with magic. Like me…”

Sarin peters off.

“But that's not how things work. Seeking out the ‘best’ place too go. You won’t enjoy it. And you will eventually be destroyed.”

What is a devil? What do we do? We punish. That is what we do. We where created to be the cosmic agents of punishment. What is left for this woman but punishment? Redemption? She doesn't deserve it.

Sarin pauses.

I don't. But I'm still seeking it out. Why? Whats the point. I shouldn't be accepted. I shouldn't be redeemed. I've done nothing too earn it. There probably isn't enough time left in creation to repent for what I have done. Resting on the hope that some kind celestial will 'raise' me from my current state.

Sarin pursed her lip.

Perhaps that's why I joined the dustmen. I speak about wanting too stop existing. Why? I'm tired. So, horribly tired. Uncountable years of self harm as a devil. I want to die. But there is more too that. My reason is over. gone. I'm fighting the demons that my god fought, but he is dead, the world is dead. My purpose is gone.

My purpose as a celestial. My purpose as a devil is punishment. Like when I was a Deva. But that's not what I want from my existence. I want my purpose to be gone. I want to be gone. I thought I was suicidal. I'm not. I don't think. I wan't to not have a purpose. I wan't to fade away. Help a few people along the way.

"Your lies will get you nowhere. I only wish to help. This is not the place for you. And convincing me it is will get you nowhere. I only with to speak with you, about the truth. We are alike. Can we not talk?'
Sarin

Posted by Sarin »

"This isn't the only High Plane where there are rules. Where I was created has rules. But here they will judge you for why you made the choice, how you did it, and the outcome. But they will lean on the outcome. If you made a good choice, but it ended with a hundred dead children, you will be judged for the children over the why and the how.

"Where I am from will hold all equally. You can be judged from all sides, all angles. I can take you there. If you want. Here offers nothing for you. Not even peace. But, I warn you. You cannot rules your way out of what comes too you. From the heavens to the hells, you will be judged based on what you have done with you life, now how you can argue what you have done.

"But not just that... How you feel about what you have done. I remember a massive case between the heavens and hells over a tyrant who ruled with an iron fist. crushed those who opposed him, killed thousands, but only ever did it out of a misguided desire too help. Some celestials found him, and decided to try to save him from the pit. The pit fought back.

"Where the multiverse decides to spit you does not take that into account. Speak to me about it, and I might. I can take you too my home. Where you can be judged by the good, but thoughtful."

Where I can be judged as well. Arloid was a fool for taking me here. A kindhearted fool. But a fool.

"Please. No more lies. Let us speak to each other as murderers. One too another."