Little Tooth

seawied

Posted by seawied »

Basic Information
Name: Little Tooth
Race: Goblin
Profession: Scout, Diplomat, general rapscallion.

Physical Information
Height: Approx. 3'6"
Body build: Wiry
Skin type: Green.
Hair style: unkempt with three large patches seemingly hacked off.
Attire: Ragged armor and clothing in bad need of a wash.

Mental Information
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Philosophy: Explore the world, make friends, eat spiders.
Deity/Beliefs: N/A. Little Tooth belongs to a rare goblin tribe that rejected the goblin pantheon. By the Chief's decree, his tribe is to set an example for other goblin tribes and thrive through trade, equality, and friendships with other races.

Personality:
  • Outgoing. Little Tooth is known to approach people randomly and greet them for no reason.
  • Friendly. He will often try to befriend people and creatures, even when that course of action is inadvisable.
  • Child-like. Considered an adult among goblins, but his mannerisms and world view is quite naïve.
  • Helpful. Will often go out of his way to help others when asked... or when not asked.
  • Simpleton. There are many intelligent goblins in the world. Little Tooth is not one of them!
  • Mischievous. He usually gets himself into trouble somehow.
  • Curious. Has a very limited world-view and seeks to explore new and different things.
  • Audacious. Willing to take bold or risky moves.
  • Self-confident. Little Tooth has a large amount of undeserved confidence in his own abilities.
Background
No one ever accused Little Tooth of being the strongest goblin of his tribe, nor the tallest, nor the smartest. In fact, there pretty much wasn't anything that Little Tooth was exceptionally talented at in his tribe. So when Chief Boblin decreed that Little Tooth would be the one that would venture out from the warren into human lands to find new allies and trade partners, many goblins were upset.

"But Chief! I am the strongest of the tribe!" Eats-a-Moose protested. "Humans would see how strong I am and want to be friends!"

"You are strong, Eats-a-Moose, but this quest will require a different kind of strength," Chief Boblin calmly replied.

"But Chief, I am the smartest among all of us!" Five Head objected, "I can show the world that goblins aren't dumb and make smart decisions to help better position ourselves in the world!"

"You are smart," the Chief admitted, "But I need someone with a different sort of intelligence for this."

"You should send me instead," Cried out Rabbit Hat, "My magics will make our enemies fear and respect us!"

The Chief shook his head, "No, no, no, no! That is not the purpose of this quest. Goblins have been trying to make others fear us for years. It is the wrong way!"

With more yelling and objections hurled at the chief, Boblin closed the meeting and met with Little Tooth in his den.

"I's don'ts gets it, Chief?" Little Tooth said, clearly confused by the decision. "Eats-a-Moose is so strongs, Five Head is so smarts, and Rabbit Hat is so dangerous... Why they's nots go?"

The ancient, by goblin standards, chief put his calloused hand on the little goblin's shoulder and smiled.

"Let me tell you a story about my youth," the chief said. "Many, many summers ago when I was a young goblin, I joined a war party to raid unsuspecting travelers. We came across a small group of big-people and decided to attack them. They were not the easy target we first thought they were. They slew three-and-tens of us without a single one of the big-folk falling. In the end, I stood alone against them: Bucket Head, Pointy Hat, Waggle Tongue, and Feather Fingers."

"They were in awe of my mighty strength and I decided to spare them and have them serve me. They bestowed upon me the most honorable and respected of names in their culture and gave me the title 'Boblin'. Seeing my great strength and generosity, they asked for my aide in their quest to save the world. Being a merciful creature, I said yes. Throughout our journeys, my servants and I became good friends. We travelled the world, fought dragons, saved kingdoms, and saw wonders beyond your imagination."

"In the end, it was our friendship that was our biggest strength. When I retired here and took over this tribe, I wanted to teach this tribe the importance of this power. I tore down our old false idols and set us down a different path than other tribes in our world."

"You, Little Tooth, might not be the strongest, the fastest, the smartest, or the most dangerous goblin in our tribe, but you are the friendliest one among us. The world will see your good heart and I hope that they will change the way they see goblins."

"It is a heavy burden to place upon such a small goblin, but do you think you can carry it?" The chief asked.

Little Tooth reluctantly nodded, and set out upon his quest of goodwill to all the human-folk in the land.

In his journeys, he climbed high mountains and shared drinks with jolly dwarves, had spears thrown at him at racist humans, and eventually came across a small strange hut in the middle of the woods owned by an eccentric gnomish inventor and his cats.

This inventor, named Slocum Foucault had a shop filled fantastic devices, the likes of which the little goblin had never seen before. He had large sacks capable of catching hot air, allowing the device to go high in the sky. There was a lamp powered by a special magic known as "electricity." There were special ears that allowed the wearer to listen to people's hearts. There was a magical device that created a heat-based bread refreshing technique. And there was the most dangerous of all the inventions: a magical device that bound two objects together with a small piece of aluminum. The gnome called this last device, a "stapler".

The gnome, happy to show his work off to dazzle a lesser being, invited Little Tooth into his cabin and showed him his vast work. The gnome soon realized Little Tooth's friendly and curious nature invited the goblin to rest the night there. They shared a dinner together using one of his latest inventions: toast.

Slocum explained that he still had not figured out the physics of this new device. Ordinary bread became toast with a slight amount of heat applied to the food stuff. Interestingly enough, if a person were to place butter on one side of the toast and drop the tasty morsel, the laws of physics seemed to dictate that toast would always land butter-side down. The gnome planned on doing further experiments over the coming months in hopes of receiving fame and acknowledgement in the scientific community.

That night, when the gnome had gone to sleep, Little Tooth decided to do an experiment of his own. He snuck down to the lab and fired up the bread-refreshing device. Using his limited knowledge of tall-folk domesticated animals, he knew that cats always landed feet first when dropped. He buttered his toast and picked up the forbidden stapler and decided to try to break the laws of physics.

Grabbing the scruff of one of the gnome's many cats, the curious goblin bound butter-side-up toast to the back of the cat. The cat, letting out a measured, diplomatic screech, clawed the goblin furiously, forcing Little Tooth to drop the feline. As the cat howled and raced around the lab in pain, it knocked over countless beakers and broke countless devices. The little goblin tried to catch the animal in order to record the data of his very scientific experiment. In the midst of his chase, Little Tooth slipped on a spilled liquid and knocked himself out on the stone floor of the lab.

When he awoke, Little Tooth found himself starring at the dirty ground of a busy market with strange creatures floating around. As he shook off his grogginess, Sigil soon learned he had somehow found himself in the middle of Sigil, the city of doors!

Writers note: special thanks to Bleuception, who I blatantly "borrowed" the formatting of this post from