Blade of Angharradh

*Bloodlines

Posted by *Bloodlines »

Ridga had a few avenues before her. There was a githzerai by the name of Szrath, an indep and veteran of fighting the githyanki for years in the Astral. He knew a fair amount about their tactics and what routes they took, though he was more likely to stab a githyanki than he was to treat with them. Still, there was of course the theory that he hated the illithid more than he hated his darker cousins and the githzerai was less likely to betray her at the endgame.

There was a small group of githyanki led by one called Rindak. From the rumors she caught about them, they were Fated and no longer affiliated with the githyanki of the Astral, though they may have still had ties with them. The githyanki may be a bit more forthcoming if a representative of their race was there to broker an alliance, but who was to say Rindak might not seize an opportunity against Ridga if he saw it? It was a gamble either way.

As for ships, the cheapest vessel, one with little to no armaments and was more meant for a small transport, was roughly twenty platinum cogs once the price was converted. The larger ones were many times over that amount, but even if price wasn't a factor, a ship needed a crew. She could perhaps rent one out, or maybe even commandeer one from the githyanki, but that would be counterproductive if she sought an alliance with them. As a side note, Argent also offered the use of his vessel.

Argent would actually meet a factotum of the Signers, who he has probably passed in the hallway. It's a githyanki by the name of Karag. Upon Argent's explanation, Karag looked very interested in the possibility of taking out an illithid colony. Unfortunately, he was a wanted fugitive of his people for abandoning his post to pursue a life of tranquility as a Signer. While he did not hate his people, he worried that his involvement would spur their ire. Still, being a Signer and having cut ties with his people meant he was less likely to betray the party unless of course he thought doing so would remove the bounty on his head. He admitted that the githyanki might betray the party, seeing their race as weak and in need to be killed, but the illithid was by far much bigger prey. Even the githyanki knew the value of temporary alliances.
*Protoss119

Posted by *Protoss119 »

Enticed, Ridga hurried back to Sigil to exchange some of her coins with the necessary platinum cogs. Then she returned to her private room at Chirper's and began drafting a letter to Phyrra...

Phyrra,

I hope this finds you in health and happiness. Argent and I are searching for contacts who might be able to lead us to the githyanki. My search in the Market Ward and the Hive has yielded the following individuals:

Szrath is a githzerai who has carried out a long blood-feud against the githyanki, and knows their mind better than any short of the githyanki themselves. He loathes the githyanki, but I have read before that githyanki and githzerai will ally in order to fight mindflayers. In truth, I consider him the more trustworthy of the two; his hatred of the githyanki means that he will not betray us to them unless we favor the needs of the githyanki overmuch. Brokering a deal with him as our contact will be harder, but keeping it will be easier.

Rindak and his githyanki band are members of the Fated, and still maintain ties with those githyanki who make their home in the Astral Plane. This proposition is the reverse of Szrath; brokering a deal with them will be easier, but keeping it will be harder. I have scant trust for these Fated; from what I have read and heard, they believe that if one can take something, not only does it belong to them as the stronger and more deserving, but that they were fated to have it in the first place, and if one cannot prevent something one owns from being taken, then they do not deserve it. If we make use of Rindak as our contact, then it is only a matter of time before he and his "test" our worthiness. If he does, even if we should survive, I intend to deliver the just fate of traitors upon him.

Before we make a decision, however, I believe we should meet to discuss the terms we should offer to the githyanki. I do not think it wise for the poison Kaeliss was developing to be given freely to them if they can so easily reproduce and distribute it, but they are unlikely to trust outsiders with it, either. It will be a hard bargain.

I have also located an astral ship for sale at Dead God Rock. It is a small transport ship priced at 20 platinum cogs, or 20,000 geld, a price that I can afford. I can even cover the cost of crew. However, Argent has offered the use of his vessel as well...assuming whatever composition our group takes the next time includes him. If we have any permanent members beyond yourself, Laela, myself, and Sharon, I will be pleasantly surprised.

I may even buy the ship anyhow. It reminds me of when I was alive. I need things like this to remind myself that even though this was inflicted upon me, it need not be the whole of my being. Why is it delusion that I should seek to define myself as more than a bloodthirsty monster? Why is it delusion to think that I am better than the bloodthirst? That is not weakness, but strength. If your high priestess should accept my services, then having that asset available may prove useful to the Promenade. Again, I will cover the cost of crew and maintenance.

Please let me know if there is a time that we can meet. I suggest we find a room at Chirper's, so that we do not have men and women in the bazaar flocking to us, but if you would rather we meet someplace else, I will defer to your judgment.

Sincerely,

Ridga Allinsdottir

P.S. I apologize for the struck-through portions of this letter. I should remind myself that I am writing a correspondence, not a journal entry.

Afterwards, Ridga sealed the letter and hired a courier to deliver it to Phyrra and Laela. She remembered them saying that they would take up lodging in Sigil, so she suspected she would be hearing from them soon. Perhaps embarrassingly soon, if they were taking up lodging in Chirper's...
*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

*Argent poses to Factotum Karag a question about protection for bodies visiting a illithid colony to avoid having thoughts read, or controlled. Argent mentions he has standard fare as archmagi himself and variety of mildsilver, but imagines that a colony brain is much more advanced. if Karag has idea*
*Bloodlines

Posted by *Bloodlines »

Phyrra, ironically only three doors down, leaves a quick message that she'll meet up with Ridga to discuss this, though admits that she is unsure which to pick as each one has their potentials but also their drawbacks. She said they'd discuss it in length later.

As githyanki have a natural resistance to the mindflayer's mind controlling abilities, Factotum Karag told Argent that he had little to offer in terms of protection. However, he was familiar with psionic abilities just as Argent was and suggested they use a null psionics field. A single null psionics field would be enough for a small group to be shielded with. The elder brain would be unable to see what was in the field, but may perceive it as one would feel a gap in memory or see a void, knowing something should be there but it is not.

If it was a larger operation, such as an expedition, they could set up arrays of it in order to carve out territory within the illithid colony and use it as a staging ground. This would protect the affected areas from the elder brain's influence as well as the illithids, but the thralls would still be able to enter it and attack unchallenged.

*Protoss119

Posted by *Protoss119 »

After the meeting, Ridga returned to Dead God Rock in order to buy the Astral ship, presenting twenty platinum cogs as payment. Christening the vessel as the Snekkja, she put out word that she is looking for capable crew. She offered good pay, and she was not picky in regards to race. She also began asking about retrofitting the ship for combat - adding additional ballistae, adding additional sails or otherwise improving its propulsion through the Astral, and adding some sort of tether, crane, or harpago, a catapult-fired grappling hook. By the end, she wagered it may not look like much, but it would have it where it counts.

Finally, she began asking about this business with the Marlion, wanting to know exactly what happened. If there were any hazards along the trade lanes while she and hers were searching for the mindflayer vessel, she certainly would want to know about them before she began her search.

*Protoss119

Posted by *Protoss119 »

Some time after dealing with the mindflayer vessel, Ridga sat down at her private room at Chirper's and began drafting a letter...

My dear Phyrra and Laela,

I hope this finds you in health and happiness. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but I am writing now to keep you up to date on what has been happening. Things are quiet so far. Argent tells me that he has found someone among the Godsmen willing to help build the Null Psionic Field generator.

I have been wracking my head over our choice of contact. Before we dealt with the mindflayer vessel, I steadfastly suggested Szrath for our contact. Now that we are known to them and have our audience, however, I believe we cannot afford to jeopardize what little goodwill we have with them by bringing a githzerai to the proceedings, and so I am forced to concede that Rindak of the Fated would be the better option, assuming we need a contact at all at this point. That being the case, we must assume that he will make a play for the sword at some point. If we keep him close, we should watch our backs. If we keep him far from us, it will be a race for the sword.

Argent also suggested Factotum Karag as a guide, but not as a contact, since he is wanted by the githyanki, and he is unwilling to put a fellow Signer at risk, something for which I cannot blame him. I am curious, however, whether or not we might be able to take on all of them, serving in different capacities as needed. Each might be able to check each others' ambitions and flaws; we could set Szrath upon Rindak if he tries something, for example. If it is a matter of monetary cost, then I will cover the expense.

I will also visit Zabesk and get the colony location from him. If I understand the Astral Plane correctly - which is a rather dubious prospect, I will admit - the Astral fog is too thick to give accurate directions or determine distance; we would need landmarks, descriptions of surroundings, something to familiarize ourselves with the location. Even if we use the null psionic field to shield Zabesk, it is unlikely any of the contacts will tolerate his presence, and I do not want to put him at risk, so our options are rather limited in that respect.

Sincerely,

Ridga Allinsdottir

Ridga departed to send for a courier, and then sought out Zabesk to ask about the colony's location, also asking about landmarks and potential hazards as they made their way - anything to familiarize herself with the area around the colony, so as to better reach it in good time.
*Bloodlines

Posted by *Bloodlines »

A letter follows later that week.

wrote:Ridga,

Things are going well. I passed word of your actions to my superiors and they were pleased. The loss of the spelljammer was costly, but the alternative was perhaps even more so.

I've been led to believe through a few sources that the githyanki would have no doubt made a play for the harvested divine energy of the Divinity Leech. I'm uncertain what the githyanki might have done with it, but I have a few guesses with what I know about their paranoid queen Vlaakith. You all may very well have spared the multiverse from seeing the rise of an ascended lich queen. Destroying the obelisk was likely the wisest move in the long term.

However, I was not impressed with a few of those that accompanied us. One of them sought to leave dozens of innocents to be turned into mindflayers while another sought to claim the obelisk for their own means. I don't wish to see either of them again. Recovering the sword is important, but it is ultimately just a piece of steel. I would rather save lives than have to step over their corpses to get to a goal.

It is good to hear progress is being made on the generators. Check with Argent and this Godsman to see what they have in mind for them.

Rindak is likely the best means to secure a temporary alliance with a githyanki. I like your idea of bring Szrath along, though his discovery could cause turmoil during the operation if the githyanki are unaware of his presence. If you are to do this, I would suggest having a plan to keep him concealed.

I have not navigated the Astral much myself. The void is limitless and objects don't always appear to be where they were left. Having Zabesk as a guide would be useful, though risky for two reasons. The first is obviously the githyanki. The second is what might happen if Zabesk falls back under the sway of the elder brain. The githyanki may tolerate him if they know he can be used to get to the colony, though I very much expect they will try to kill him and all of us the moment they get their chance.

I wish I could be more helpful. With this, there is no 'right' decision, nothing that will not have flaws or weaknesses or risks. It is more a question of what risks you and everyone are willing to take.

Once we've met with the githyanki, we will have to decide our actions soon.

Regards,
Phyrra

*Protoss119

Posted by *Protoss119 »

Ever since the quest to retrieve the Blade of Angharradh had been brought to a successful conclusion, Ridga had mostly been idle, sticking around Chirper's and making the occasional venture into the inner or lower planes to satisfy her thirst for battle and blood.  The events of the expedition had much occupied her thoughts in those days, although it rarely showed on her face.  One night, she took up the quill and parchment and put her thoughts to paper...

My dear Phyrra,

I hope this finds you in health and happiness.  I am writing mostly to keep you aware as to my whereabouts.  I have taken up at Chirper's for the time being, and that's where I will remain if you or the Promenade wish to contact me.

So far, it has been quiet.  I am still waiting on Zabesk's gift that he mentioned.  When he finally does come up with it, I might just pay for it anyhow.  Anyone who rejects cruelty and monstrous behavior as he does deserves continued patronage and support, and he shall have mine.  I wonder what happened to Marv?  Does Laela still have him?  If so, it would seem her torments have not ended with this expedition!  Whoever comes into possession of it has my condolences.

Have you heard anything from the Promenade?  Do you know if they will take me into their employ?  I admit, I was caught up in the moment - I was not paying particular attention to the expressions and attitudes of those present when we returned the sword.  As I've said before, I am not picky about the work, only that my employers are honorable, which you most certainly are.

So ends the portion of the letter that contains actual, useful information.  I do not take you to be one for sentimentality, and in truth, neither am I.  You are more than welcome to toss this letter into the fire past this point.  If you should persist, I would take this moment to reflect on the attack on the mindflayer colony.

My feelings on that day have been all over the place.  Suffice it to say, I do not share Laela's raw enthusiasm for having succeeded.  All my planning nearly came to naught.  I did not see much while I was submerged beneath the pond of cranial fluid.  When I emerged, however, I saw dead mindflayers and confused thralls surrounding the others.  Shortly before it died, I felt its thoughts - thoughts of triumph, the feeling of having won.  I was almost too late.

Almost, almost, almost.

I should glory in having slain an avatar of Ilsensine, despite it having come so close to victory...but whenever I think back to that moment, I feel only anger at myself for allowing us to come so close to defeat.  Perhaps I am overthinking it, overestimating the share of responsibility I carry for our near-failure.  Or perhaps not.  Either way, I am sorry.  You heard me when I spoke to Rindak and Szrath - I swore to them that I would get us all out alive and whole.  Only by the skin of my teeth did I accomplish the former, and I think the others deserve more of the credit for that than I.  I am not sure of the latter.

I'll not mince words.  The elder brain tried to rape your mind, to make a thrall out of an honorable warrior.  It did not succeed - which speaks to your remarkable strength of will, which I admire - but the very fact that it tried demanded retribution - honorable retribution.  We knew going in that this would be no glorious battle against a worthy foe - that's why we elected to use the poison, after all.  I'm sure you could make the argument that vengeance was yours when the elder brain died.  You wouldn't be wrong.  But poison is no honorable means of dispatching a foe.  We repaid the elder brain for all its slights against you - but was it truly a victory for honor over dishonor?

Come to think of it, was there a single one amongst our foes that could be called honorable?  The mindflayers we fought were slavers and mind-rapists - we did the multiverse a favor by killing them.  Their thralls were husks of men and no true warriors.  I have come to hate them where others would fear them.  Where I come from, there are mindflayers also - but they are riven with internal strife, victimized by orcs and vikings and each other.  Their time has long passed, in Midgard and everywhere else.  Were it not for Zabesk...

This letter is at risk of growing over-long, so I will try and speed it to an end.  I commend you on your fortitude and willpower if you've resisted tearing this letter to tiny bits so far.

The loss of the Snekkja was a bitter blow, I'll admit.  Everyone made it off the ship, but...have you ever captained a ship?  It grows on you, becomes a second home, as much a part of your being as your faith, your friends, your actions.  There is a saying where I come from: "Every captain is a king aboard his ship."  For a while, I was.  It wasn't exactly the same - we sailed the foggy nothing of the Astral Sea, and not the salty sea of Midgard or anywhere else - but the taste of freedom, the sense that nothing is beyond your reach - that remains the same.  I was a viking in life, and for a time, I was a viking in death.

Oh well.  I don't blame anyone for the loss of the ship, except for the githyanki.  In any case, if the Promenade should accept my services, I won't need a ship.  Ultimately, it was a means to an end - not just a means of transportation, but a means of redefining myself, of building who I am through my actions.  I am a warrior first and a vampire second.  To be a warrior, and not merely a woman with a sword, one must have honor.

I apologize for this letter's sappiness and excess of sentiment.  Sometimes things happen to others that force you to realize how much they mean to you.  You gave me a chance to thrive and to fight with honor, for honor.  Where I come from, the term "friend" is not used with abandon.  It is something stronger than mere "ally" or "acquaintance", and means someone you're willing to fight and die for.  Maybe it is the same way where you come from, maybe not.  But you are my friend.  If that should mean nothing to you, then know that you have my loyalty, from this day to my last day.

So that should explain the hug.  I saw Laela do it.  I thought it was okay for me to do it!

I think that is all.  If you've made it this far without reducing this letter to the tiniest flakes, then I do believe you have endurance to rival the gods.  Whatever else happens, these past few months have been some of the best of my life (unlife?), and I thank you for it.

Sincerely,

Ridga Allinsdottir

Ridga stared down at the letter, now comprised of multiple pieces of parchment upon which she had spilled her heart, for a few long moments.  Then she stuffed them into an enveloped and sent for a courier to deliver them.
*Bloodlines

Posted by *Bloodlines »

A week goes by with no reply. But then, on the morning of the following week, a letter arrives at Ridga's address through a special courier.

Ridga,

Thank you for your letter. I read it entirely. To answer your question about Marv, he is fine. In fact, he has kept Lael quite occupied. I found her the other day in the gathering hall staring wide-eyed into the fire and asked what was wrong. Apparently, she had discussed the meaning of existence with the crystal for a few hours and went into a deep state of depression afterward. Worrying. Don't be concerned though as she is fine now. The loss of your ship was regrettable, but ships can be replaced. I am sure you will captain another one in the future. 

I gave my superiors a full report of everything that occurred within the Astral Plane and everything that happened, including your performance. There were of course a few within the council of elders that were still quite against further association with you. They told me that I should tell you to never seek out the Promenade again and that resurrection was the only recourse of action for you. 

I may have told them to go somewhere unpleasant.

I called them hypocrites. Several members of the council, like myself, were once followers of the Spider and quite devout until fate dealt them a hand that shifted their beliefs to seek the Dark Maiden. It wasn't long ago that my own aspirations were to become the matron mother of a powerful house, to subjugate any and everything around me until my word was absolute. It wasn't until I met Sharon, Saelyn, and the others and through their kindness did I learn that there was more to life than Lolth and that our matriarchy was blinded by several millennia of hate and ignorance. While your vampirism is not an ideal thing in the eyes of the council, I argued that it is your choices that define you. I told them that if they cannot understand that, they're no better than the blindly indoctrinated spider-worshipers we fight against. That didn't exactly make me popular in the moment, especially Qilué Veladorn, who I told her that her lack of realism would cost her her head one day.

In any case, you have friends here in the Promenade, even among the council. Your actions in the Astral as well as the actions of the others have impressed many here and I am sure we will be in contact with you again. We repelled a great evil and that is something that will not go without notice. Until we meet again.

Respectfully,
Phyrra

Another letter follows the next day.

Ridga,

Hey there! It's Lael. I hope you are doing well. I just wanted to tell you how happy I am that none of us died horribly back there. We're doing fine here. I'd say the weather is pretty good, but the Promenade is underground and the weather doesn't exactly change, except that one time one of our wizards accidentally broke one of those 'storm in a bottle' things. That was crazy.

Anyway, everyone is happy to hear that we were able to get the sword back thanks to all of you. Phyrra doesn't often express herself about what she thinks, but she was very impressed with you. She actually told ranking members of our clergy to go to the Nine when they tried to demand we cut ties with you. I think that was the first time in their lives they were told by one of us to go do that. She got into a bit of trouble after that, but she's fine now. No one was going to punish her over saying the truth, after all. I think that's what they've come to like about her. She doesn't dance around things, which is kind of ironic considering.

Anyway again, do you want Marv? He's such a delightful person to talk to and I feel bad that he is stuck here with very little to do. If you find anyone that is interested in a psionic crystal like him, let me know. Please?

Take care and write you soon!

Sincerely,
Laela T'Sith

P.S. Don't tell Phyrra I said this, but they're going to promote her soon. They're going to make her a high priestess. Maybe I should tell Elkantar Iluim to go sit on a spike or something. Do you think I'll get promoted then? Ha! Probably not. 

P.S.S. Please burn this letter when you read it. I would literally die if Elkantar read this.