Murder Most Foul

*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

He adjust his suit and swept his hair behind his ears, causal glance around in the familar setting that was full of the same dismal things. The elfin kept his badge in the open even if in this particular instance it mean little where he felt greatrer things in play. It did make him blend in more though considering the clerks ward and the many Sign of One treated as a barmy lot often had something to say to anyone they imagined could hear a word.

There was subtle excitement inside that for once somebody knew what he was, at least in assumption wise, aspect he kept very low key inside the Cage.

The Silvanesti took his time at his approach, method of walk one sure of his step, stride confident. He was the eager to please type, holding a placid smile and gestulated a courteous nod as you would to any bystander. Just another ordinary meeting with somebody in the street.

Polite greeting in elven as he side long to her left, then lowered his voice much like consistency you expect with a friend or private joke about to be shared.

"I feel we may have some mutual goals and far from coincidental we keep running into each other. You may call me Argent and right now my concern is for the safety of others here. How may I help you?"
*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

Measure One Nica made her way to the Hall of Records once more. She had, had an epiphany with the recent discoveries in regards to potential chronomancy ties.

"My name is Nica Brianna Kelter, Measure One of the Harmonium. I am here to investigate missing people cases. I have reasons to believe that there may be ties to these reports."

Nica would shift herself sideways against the desk with her elbow propped against it. It was a demeanor made to seem a more casual approach to the topic, but she was a little tense as she contemplated that the perpetrator may be watching. After all Bruce Baxter had gone missing doing what she is doing, and they too were a trained Harmonium that seemed to, in her brief experience have good intellectual instincts. Though she knew the possibility unlike Bruce, thus she kept a close eye on everyone around, making mental note of them for future references before returning attention to the Fated once more.

"I would like to get access to the following information, if you have them. Let me know the price, and requirements, but I want them as soon as possible. However I am intending to deduct as much as possible with an official investigation, I however do wish to know what court decisions I require and I'll get them to you while you prepare the lists.

First, I want a list of all the books with information about "Chronomancy" that you have.

Second, I want a list of everyone who has accessed, or loaned books from that list in the past three months.

Third, I want a list of all mages whom have registered with chronomancy as a profession, or a license to practice them. Especially those in the Clerks Ward or neighboring wards."

It was a tall order, and likely an expensive one. She also did not expect there to be immediate answers from this, but it could act as an important referencial point in the future. She again looked around to study any potential reactions or particularly nozy seeming Cagers, to make a mental note. After all, getting attacked after this would become much more likely. Alternatively it could also mean that Bruce Baxter had talked to the one behind it, and got silenced that way. Both plausible theories for now.

(( I'm not really expecting to get an extensive list of all of these things written for real. =) It's mostly something I intend to use as Nica refers to "is that thing in the list, Y/N?" type of tool. She's also trying to check all potential suspects, as all the events have occurred in the Clerk's Ward, she assumes that in profile the culprit is likely someone in the Clerks Ward, or near enough to walk there daily. So that's more of a "list of potential suspects" to her as much as "list of potential future victims". ))
*Peculiar Presence

Posted by *Peculiar Presence »

Alexi and Vander happily headed home after working at a dizzying pace in which they possibly uncovered each pertinent tome in the entire library available in the Shattered Temple. Was it possible that there was some book that they overlooked on which more research to be done? Of course, but it seemed like they had a very good head start- accomplishing more in a single day than most would have in a week. After coming across some interesting but largely useless facts regarding the study and practice of time, the following pearls of knowledge were gained as Morthos and Razzaq did their painstaking research:

-Time magic was exceedingly dangerous and not taught officially in wizarding circles or schools. Though this specific, rarely known school of magic had been around for generations, it seemed like no one knew, or at least was not willing to share any information about it. Even the homes that they uncovered did not have information that was readily usable. For example there was no spell incantation in any of the spell books that the young Godless under MorthosÂ’ guidance were able to uncover. With that being said, it's likely that many Chronomancers would be loathe to admit their talents and abilities, likely electing to hide them under the guise of other magics.
-It takes special kind of training and years study to be able to even cast the most basic Chronomancy spell.
-There is an incantation which helps one detect known anomalies between the Temporal Plane and the current Plane. However, iswas also magic that could mask these anomalies.
-Even the most practiced Chronomancers risk opening an unstable time vortex when casting certain types of time magic. These vortices may have devastating consequences.
-It was agreed upon by scholars that the Lady of Pain was not fond of Chronomancy. Despite being the hub of the multi-verse, there were no renown Chronomancers in Sigil - though that may just be due to the nature of the work.
-Throughout history there have indeed been chronomancers who have severely abused and tested the limits of time magic. A few of these have been documented and their specific names are able to be located after some research through some of the most esoteric books on time magic. Now these individuals havenÂ’t exactly been featured, and their mentioning had been in passing. There was an interesting, recurrent phenomenon. It seemed like these deviants always met some kind of horrible demise, or go missing. In fact this was virtually invariable.
-If ever there was a place to look for a further information regarding time magic, it was Sigil. There were a few mages of renown that may have more information, if given the right incentive to share that information. One such that came to mind was Lothar, the Master of Skulls. It was known that he is a very powerful mage who made his kip In the Lower Ward. He would definitely have more information regarding this topic. Of course, it was also Dark that the master of skulls had an incredible collection of shelves upon shelves of skulls. If you were to share any privileged information, one would need to obtain a skull of value.

Argent did everything right.

He was approachable, friendly, nonthreatening, and did not make too many assumptions. In fact it was the perfect approach if anyone wanted to gently coax out a secret from someone. However, Argent got absolutely nothing in return aside from a slightly perplexed look from the woman. A thin, regal nose crinkled in mild confusion, and the crows feet around her eyes became slightly prominent as she allowed an uneasy pause to settle in between the two.

She cautiously stepped back as he approached closer and leaned in for the whisper, carefully staying out of arms distance. It wasnÂ’t unusual behavior, for any Cager to keep his or her wits about, even in one of the Upper Wards like the ClerkÂ’s Ward.

“I’m sorry, sir I don’t quite understand. I never asked for any help…”

Her performance was good, convincing, and with conviction but not overly forceful. There was an intricate subtlety to the way she feigned ignorance, surprise, and confusion in a perfect blend of rejection. She would’ve fooled most, but not Argent. He knew, almost for certain, that there was something beyond this innocuous façade. This was a woman who had something to hide and was not sharing it.

There were few options at this moment. One was to continue to press her and perhaps get more information – even if it wasn’t a direct answer - there may be some subtle drop in the conversation which may end up being a lead, or at least a source of more complete information. Another option was actually kidnapping and interrogating her, though this seemed less likely. Firstly Argent was not quite sure what this one was capable of, and also it was quite a crowded street in one of the upper wards of the city. There were bound to be a few Harmonium officers in the vicinity, and even if there weren’t, a scream would be all they needed to come running. It’s not like he could’ve hoped to find her unaware, as she was already very obviously on guard. They were indeed more options, such as potentially magically or mundanely tracking her such that she may betray her true intentions after some time in clandestine observation. Regardless of the options, all of them seemed more preferable to simply dropping the case, and letting her walk away without any kind of follow-up, though this was also an option.

Judging by the steely resolve in her gray eyes, one thing was certain: getting information out of her would not be easy.

On her return to the Hall of Information, Nica was once again greeted by the same steward with crescent-shaped spectacles, and a severe gaze. Her familiar voice again emerged raspy and slow, and this was accompanied by a surprised forehead that became contracted as her graying eyebrows reached for her scalp when her eyes widened. For the first time she seemed to be giving Nica information for free:

“How peculiar, that someone should ask about these types of books for the third time in the last week.”

With that, and for a not-so-small fee of course, she began to search the massive tone in front of her for copies of any pertinent books in question. Unsurprisingly, it had seemed that the copies of many of the relevant books in the Fated archives had been checked out recently. In fact, Bruce Baxter paid a handsome sum to check out six different books from the Fated’s archives regarding the study of time magic. The only pertinent book that remained which had any mention of Chronomancy was the ubiquitous “A History of Planar magic- Comprehensive Textbook, Fourth Edition.” There were several copies of this book available, as it was quite a common book and likely did not have the specific answers to the type of questions Nica was searching for.

For some more jink, the steward also shared with Nica that there was no one in the Ward registered as a practitioner of time magic. She did not know about the other Wards. Of course, that didnÂ’t mean that no one actually practiced time magic in this Ward, it simply meant that no one bothered to let the bureaucrats (or anyone else for that matter) in on the Dark. Interestingly, the only individuals who had checked out books specifically pertaining to time magic, or the history of time magic were Raziel and Bruce. However, it was noted that records were only available from the last month on back. The Fated employed record keepers and offices with more remote archives outsourced away from The Hall of Information.
*rapsam2003

Posted by *rapsam2003 »

Five hours later, Athaon Morthos was in the Shattered Temple again amid a new cycle. Having finished his cycle of meditation, the Cambion was already looking through the books again. He seem more relaxed as he thumbed through pages, casually. Obviously, Morthos was waiting Alexi, Vander, and Razzaq.
When the three Namers arrived, they find a pitcher of Viperwine (with accompanying antidote in nearby vials).
"Come. Sit. Ye have done well, Namers. Drink the antitode and then have some Viperwine. 'Tis a rare treat."

Taking a sip himself, the Tanar'ri peers at the three. "It seems we need to the Outer Planes, cutters. We need the bone-box, stripped and shining, of a Hende, aye. I was considering a True Tanar'ri's skull. We need to hand Lothar something special..."

With a cruel smile, he looks at three Namers, gauging their reactions.
*Lucadia

Posted by *Lucadia »

*nothing was more enticing then denial and well kept secrets. The elven mage nodded his head to her as if in understanding and that all was fine. He smiled easily, gauging her attitude and internal sigh knowing this was not about be easy. Internal sigh dwadled his thoughts, trying keep even tone. For the other observer should she have skills in denoting historical and cultural references the speaker is from a prime that suffers from multiple timelines and aura about him says hes not in the right place*

"Ah I enjoy greeting and getting to know all the elven kin reguardless of how distant we may be and seeing after their wellfare. You could say Im a Guide about these parts. This ward has not been particulary safe in some weeks."

*The crimson eyed elf took a moment to look around, show of caution himself and quip of his lips in worry before slipping back to more relaxed carefree expression. Even so, it did not erase the show of wear of one thats been creeping up from his extensive search.

He had no intentions to make any threatening gestures. Just as much as he didnt know her capabilites , she would not know his as well. One treats another enigma with much caution to afford and not show any signs of weakness*

"Im the assistant Head Doctor at the House of Healing ..toward ..that way. "*he indicate in general direction of the ward, possibly from where he first started following* "So should you need any medical help Im easy to get in contact with."