Murder Most Foul

*Peculiar Presence

Posted by *Peculiar Presence »

Three hours after Antipeak.

Fog descended on the cobbled street in front of the Hall of information. It hung thick and oppressive like quicksand.

Small footsteps hurriedly pattered upon the echogenic stone ground. The Clerk’s Ward was not as safe at this time of night, and she knew it. Human, female. Approximately average in height and weight. She had been scouring the gilded halls of the Fated Headquarters and, with a bit of help, had finally come across the information she needed. The gaunt, aging librarian had allowed her to borrow four tomes, one more than the usual maximum – for an exorbitant surcharge, of course. It was almost too easy.

She only realized how long the search had taken when she exited the Hall to be greeted by the chilly night, and the fog. Oh, how thick it was!

Thankfully, she lived nearby and had the streets largely memorized so she could ‘feel’ her way through the fog. Something about the condensing fog on the cobblestones made her gait a bit precarious and though she was walking fast, the back of her mind was haunted by the fear of falling. It didn’t help that there was not another soul in sight. The milieu became increasingly acrid, mimicking the air of the Lower Ward and her eyes started to sting. She was nowhere near the Lower Ward, though. Strange.

As she continued onwards, her gait, her breaths, and the sounds in the background faded away. Time itself seemed to slow down, though her heart kept racing like an animal being chased. Something peculiar was occurring. She abruptly found herself unable to move. Then she felt it. An unfathomable pain exploded through her chest, cracking her ribs apart like small twigs. She opened her mouth.

Some time later, a shambling, hunched figure shuffled out of the vicinity, blending easily into the foggy surroundings.

When the air had cleared, her body was gone.

*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

The case arrived to Nicas desk, a recent report of a missing person. It was a low priority case and something that wasn't usually her field of expertise. Taking a sip of her morning tea, reading through the details so far.
wrote:Missing Person Report

Subject: Raziel Trener
Race: Human
Sex: Female
Height: ~5'6''
Weight: ~130-140lbs

Profession: Record Administrator, day to day record upkeep, catalogueing documents, other minor office matters.
Employer: Books'n'Nooks, a private small record keeping company. One of the many small companies outsourced by the Fated on regular basis for minor bureaucratic assignments.

the report kept going on, but nothing in particular stood out. A workaholic that was almost never away, in many ways a relatable ideology for Nica, although she abhorred the bureaucracy and games that were going in the Sigil. Especially the nature of their employment, she could be fairly sure some legal form of tax evasion from the contractor was in mind for employing these kind of small offices, but there was ever so little evidences or reasons to pursue those. She shook her head, it wasn't relevant, a missing person.

Reading through the report of brief information she ran through several scenarios in her mind of the reasons. An uninfluencial bureaucrat for minor records was surely not rich enough to kidnap to blackmail jink out of later, or robbery that would lead to death, especially since no body has been found. Robbers seldom are that thorough, though exceptions exist. Vigilant collectors could've also cleaned the streets, perhaps a questionnaire for the Dustmen about recent bodies fitting the description?

Clerks Ward itself is a safe location, in terms of Sigil, regular patrols travel through the streets making it an unlikely place to conduct something that might create so much noise like a robbery.

Political agendas are a possibility, but with such minor position, it seemed exceedingly unlikely, unless they were working for something on their own. That would be a reason to make someone "disappear", but then there would have likely also been a robbery on the company as well.

Being a female, it is always a possibility someone took them for their own sadistic pleasures rather than pursuing any greater agendas, more difficult to prove and the likelyhood of them surviving would be increasingly low. A low profile possibility is always walking accidentally into a one way portal. Possibly require to walk through their steps to verify?

What other possibilities existed? Nica wondered to herself. With the twisted creatures and factions that existed in the Sigil, there would be any number of motivations truly... but something that she had not visited is the possibility of a lover and escaping on their own, or a grudged ex getting back at them. That is also a likely scenario considering past cases. But as a workaholic they did not fit the former category too much, they practically lived their work.

One thing was clear, she needed more information, for now everything was too speculative for certainty, perhaps peers, family or friends would know more... Saving no time she would enter the office where Raziel was working to ask some questions from the co-workers. Knowing that the longer these dragged on, the likelyhood of disappeared people being found alive would decrease. She'd be asking the following questions:

Does Raziel have any family, friends, lovers, relationships that we should be aware of?

Any grudges with old clients, or other form of "enemies" that comes to your mind?

What was Raziel working on at the time of their disappearance, and can I see her notes?

Where does Raziel live, and can I visit her house/apartment?

Did you see anything unusual in her behavior the last time you saw her?

At what time of day was it you last saw her, and do you know where she was going from there?
*Peculiar Presence

Nica readily found the coworker who initially filed the missing persons report with the Harmonium. A stocky dwarf named Ehrlich who seemed simultaneously nervous as well as relieved at the sight of the Harmonium officer. The office was broken up into numerous cubicles, but Ehrlich and the victim Raziel both shared a single cubicle space from which they worked. The details of their particular work involved documenting property taxes for the Fated, though they were nothing more than record keepers and middlemen. They certainly did not draw the ire of the local citizenry like the debt collectors might.

As far as Ehrlich knew, there were no missing documents, or any missing valuables from the office. Most of the employees kept meticulous records, and they checked their document inventory so regularly that one would be hard-pressed to find an irregularity. There were also regular audits by a consulting firm to ensure that the office was keeping accurate records. The most recent audit was a little over three weeks ago, and everything at that time was found to be in order. Even a brief look over of the current documents indicated that nothing was out of sorts, according to Ehrlich.

With respect to NicaÂ’s questioning, the dwarf responded in a full, but nervous manner. The nervousness seemed likely more related to his missing colleague than anything else. Nica would note that he did his best to answer every question thoroughly and in as much detail as he possibly could. It did not seem to her that he was holding back or hiding something, at least from a subjective standpoint.
His answers were as follows to the officers questioning:

Does Raziel have any family, friends, lovers, relationships that we should be aware of?

“To be honest, she’s always been a bit of a loner. She’s more shy than anything, and tends to keep to herself but has always been very polite, and very pleasant when asked to do extra work or in just the day-to-day interactions. Admittedly I don’t know too much about her personal life, though she never mentioned any kind of significant other, or family that she returns to. I know she lives in a one bedroom flat in the Clerks ward not too far from the office.”

Any grudges with old clients, or other form of "enemies" that comes to your mind?

“I think I saw her upset once, when she had briefly misplaced a file, but that was short-lived and she found it soon thereafter. Didn’t seem to be the type to have any kind of enemies. Of course we have office politics, but she mostly keeps to herself and doesnot get involved in it.”

What was Raziel working on at the time of their disappearance, and can I see her notes?

“Her most recent project involves documenting a new set of Fated property acquisitions in the Lady’s Ward. They had just purchased some public land that was initially set aside to be part of the Cage Carnivals, but now had been reallocated. You can certainly see her notes - as long as you promise to put them back where you found them!”

Where does Raziel live, and can I visit her house/apartment?

“She lives in a one bedroom flat right here in the Clerks ward. I’m actually sure that she lives with someone or by herself. I don’t think she has a significant other but I may be mistaken because she is always so quiet and keeps to herself.” Ehrlich flips through some papers and procures a small note card with Raziel's address, then hands it to the officer.

Did you see anything unusual in her behavior the last time you saw her?

“Really nothing out of the ordinary for her, she was quiet as usual and did not speak much two days ago. If anything she did look a little tired. She often hasdark circles under eyes. I imagine she isprobably an insomniac. I did catch her napping a few times during the lunch break, but she has never napped through official workhours. She is a hard worker. We would often joke about finding a way to put in more hours during the day to complete all the piles of work we have on backlog."

At what time of day was it you last saw her, and do you know where she was going from there?

“I last saw her two days ago at the end of the workday, she was just packing her things up and getting ready to leave. She did mention that she was headed to the Hall of Information to get some reading done, though she did not really say what she was going to read about. She is quite an avid reader, and heads to the Hall of Information every so often after work when she isn't too tired. "
*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

Nica made notes for the duration of the questioning, allowing the dwarf to speak freely, and occasionally letting the silence loom longer than necessary, as if she was expecting them to spill the beans or continue. The angular facial features the human had, and the long scar that ran over her left eye gave her a naturally resting stern face. Something she was all too willing to do most of the work of creating pressure on those she questioned.

However the motions were calm and measured rather than an intimidation technique, her tone and questions remained professional in nature without accusation on them, but she did not make it exactly apparent that the dwarf would be free of potential suspects either.

Taking the address card and attached it to her notes. To her notes she also added the following:

- Loner
- Possible insomniac
- Practically lives for work
- An avid reader

Making a brief profile of the person to get better into the mindset of the victim. Nica would nod, seemingly her curiosity would be sated, but as a token gesture she did add:

"Anything else you would like to mention?"

If it was nothing relevant, Nica would proceed to pursue other information sources.

"Thank you for your time, Ehrlich. If you find anything else regarding the case, leave a note to me, Measure One, Nica Brianna Kelter, in the Barracks. Otherwise I will leave you a note if I find anything."

With that she would consult her notes to see where to head to next... Mortuary - see if any recent bodies from last few days matched the description. Raziels home - possible clues that lead to their disappearance. Hall of Information - Both a good opportunity to see the path that the victim may have disappeared, and what they were studying.

Considering a moment Nica elected that the most effective way was to head to the Hall of Information, assuming Raziels path took her straight to there from work, and from there to home, then Nica could efficiently trace through the potential path on the way there, see what they have studied and from there to their home to see the path again and possible clues. After this Mortuary would be next stop if nothing else turns out, and to verify that no body has been found. Assuming the Dustmen could be trusted to be front with such information, something she wasn't all too sure she could.

She moved from the office through the fastest route she knew to the Hall of Information, looking at the streets where she may have disappeared or which would be decent criminal vantage points. Especially if there were shady figures looming around that may be members of gangs or other organized crime, the sort of things that would fit the profile of kidnapping. She would not yet pursue those leads, instead she would make a mental and written note of them, to head to the Hall of information. Hall of which she would make following inquiries to whomever was accessible in the front.

"My name is Nica Brianna Kelter, Measure One of Harmonium. I would like to inquire some information pertaining recent disappearance. A woman by the name of Raziel Trener, average height and build, female, bags under her eyes. Visited here two days ago, do you have any records what they may have been reading or looking for?"
*Peculiar Presence

Ehrlich had nothing further to share, and assured the officer that he would get back in touch with her, should he have any further information pertaining to RazielÂ’s disappearance.

It was, in fact, a rather unremarkable walk from RazielÂ’s office to the Hall of Information. Nica would note that the route was rather direct with minimal number of side-streets and alleys where some kind of ambush could occur. Besides, here in the ClerkÂ’s Ward, security was comparatively tight with the remainder of the Cage. As the Measure walked through the cobbled streets of the Ward, she got occasional nods of respect from the patrol guards who recognized her. It seemed as if it was unlikely, perhaps impossible, for the woman to be attacked on the way to the Hall of Information from her office.

Upon arriving at the six-building complex at the courtyard found at the end of Scholar Row, Nica is naturally herded towards the massive central building from the outer architecture. In the foyer, a steward sits behind a high desk made of onyx or perhaps marble. There is a marked absence of chairs or benches to discourage loitering. The interiorÂ’s walls and floors are made of exquisite, spotless blue marble, illuminated by aquamarine chandeliers. The steward is a severe-looking elderly human female who expressionlessly stares at Nica upon her entrance. Her crescent-shaped spectacles gently slide down her nose as she looks down at the Harmonium officer from her dark perch. She is disquietingly still as Nica begins her inquiry, and she is silent for an uncomfortable period of time before placing a bony, abundantly-veined hand on a massive tome in front of her. She momentarily glances downward, then back towards the Harmonium officer. Her voice emerges rasp and slow. There is an unmistakable confidence to her tone, with perhaps a subtle undertone of disdain. Her lip curls into the faintest of sneers, and it seems as if sheÂ’s about to ask Nica for a badge or some kind of identification, but she stops short of doing so, and her eyes glimmer with the gentle sheen of recognition, if but for a second.

“That name is familiar to me, Officer Kelter.” The steward croaks gently and continues, “she is a regular here at the Hall of Records, and utilizes the public information archives often.” A pregnant pause punctuates her sentences, and she continues, “I indeed have meticulous records with regards to all of her access, checkouts, and dates visited. I can provide you verbal recounting of her recent visits for a small processing fee of 100 jink. You can have a separate copy for yourself of her records, for an additional 1900 jink, for a total of 2000 jink.” She points up a withered finger and adds, “Of course, you can apply for half-cost reduction if this is Harmonium business. I have an application for investigatory reduction that you may fill out here. It will have to be reviewed by our panel. The cost for this application and the panel review fee is 250 jink. It usually takes 6 weeks processing time for panel review. If you would like this process expedited and immediately review the records, I will require a warrant issued by a Judge of the Fraternity of Order. Mind you- that the half-cost processing fee will still be applied once the warrant is presented.”

She leans in, with an almost victorious half-smirk and looks down from behind her crooked nose towards Nica once more.

“What do you wish to do, Officer Kelter?”
*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

Not new to Sigil bureaucratics, after all her general opinion of the multi-faction system was exceedingly low as it was. It was one of the core reasons why the Sigil could not progress from its corrupted state, a slow bureaucratic response to manage the speed bumps that held up investigations. This lead her opinion to be quite reflected from her face with a flat stare granted to their offers.

She produced a cylindrical metal container from her hip, opening it to produce quill, ink and parchments. Preparing them on the desk, by assembling them slowly, knocking the stack of parchments against the desk while looking in the eyes of the steward with her own blue eyes.

"I'll take the verbal recounting of Raziel Treners recent visits and checkouts. Slowly, please."

Her tone did have an edge to it despite the token pleasantry and a forced smile that died out quick. Normally the bureaucratic path would be the one to follow, however there was still a chance that Raziel was alive, and every moment wasted would make that ever less likely. Getting a court order would take time, and a review board would take time as well even if it was sped up. She might be able to handle the bureaucracy afterwards to compensate investigation related expenses. And if not, then she'd just have to suck it up.

Copy might be useful at a later date, for now there was no telling how important this entire record would even be. A quick reference would do, for now.

Nica would pay the fee from her own pocket for now, and write notes from the verbal recounting for herself.

In the case her addition to the verbal recounting wasn't something the Steward was willing to offer, then she'd concede and take only the copy of her records without any verbal service. After all, surely the records already held the dates, meaning that extra one hundred jink to hear them again would be a waste to pay.
*Peculiar Presence

Surprisingly, Nica learned that the steward was willing to offer an addition to the verbal recounting in case she wanted a hard copy later. As for her recent visits, the steward indicated that Raziel visited the Hall of Information six times in the last month, and there was definitely a pattern to her visitations. The last day of the work week, she would often go, as well as the one day off during the week that she had - she would always go. This demonstrated that literally in most or all of her free time, she was spending at the Hall of Records. Prior to this, it seemed like her visitations were less frequent, as she went about once every two weeks. There was definitely an uptick in visitations recently. In terms of her checkouts, the following were her four most recent checkouts from the Hall, all of these were checked out two nights previously, the night she presumably went missing.

1. Documentation Tips for the Modern Bureaucrat
2. Time Management for the Busy Blood
3. A History of Planar Magic - Comprehensive Textbook, Fourth Edition
4. Rare Spell Components

Nica learned that she had borrowed most of these books before, in fact the only book that she was borrowing for the first time was Time Management for the Busy Blood. Previously, she had checked out A History of Planar Magic, and Documentation Tips for the Modern Bureaucrat four times, and she had checked out the Rare Spell Components tome once previously. Somewhat of a further glance into her slightly less recent history revealed that Raziel certainly had an interest in good documentation, work efficiency, magic, and history. She never turned in a book late, as was expected for someone with her personality type.

*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

Checking the book titles from the notes she wrote, Nica tried to contemplate theories and implications. What stood out most, besides the boring appearing time allocation and documentation titles, were the magic titles. It's certainly no rare incident that naïve and careless mage aspiring students would be prone to attempt something reckless with their magical experimentation if they believed that learning the meticulous and difficult arcane theories took too long otherwise. Something like that could definitely explain a sudden disappearance...

She took mentally a step back to analyze what she knew in the notes. During this time she did not pay much attention to the steward as she was processing the different theories. Her latest theory had a flaw. While her own anti-mage training gave incentives to encourage such a belief, it neglected the characteristics of Raziel. She was also an avid reader, workaholic and insomniac. Someone like that wouldn't be so prone to taking the shortcut that would lead to excess dangers. Not a completely unlikely scenario, but definitely the combination of characteristics and facts decreases the likelyhood substantially.

It could hint to a teacher in magic, most magic aspiring people had a mentor to show and teach them. Few are completely self-taught unless they are natural talent. Raziel unlikely was natural, would she work in a desk job if she was? Unlikely.

More information was required to reach a proper conclusion. Nica looked up from her notes finally.

"Thank you for your co-operation. If I require more information, I'll pay another visit. Have a peaceful cycle."

Nica would then move to continue with her original plan to see if there is more information she could find out. Heading to Raziels home. On the way checking again if there were possible ambush positions or blind spots for harmonium patrols that struct an eye, not lingering in any, merely making a note of them for now. The main objective was to reach to Raziels home for now.
*Peculiar Presence

The way to RazielÂ’s apartment took no more than 15 minutes of brisk walking from the Hall of Information. As Nica traced her way through the cobbled steps, she couldnÂ’t help but notice that there were numerous open areas intertwined with nooks and crannies from which one may hold an ambush. Too many to count actually, and there were no obvious markers favoring one potential spot of ambush over another. There were no marks on the street indicating any recent struggle or bloodshed- though to be fair the streets were cleaned often in this part of town.

She had arrived to RazielÂ’s kip before she realized. There were officers there to greet her, and for general security reasons to make sure no one tampered with evidence. The door had been unlocked by one of the specialists in the Major Crimes unit, and per NicaÂ’s request, no one had entered the room prior to her. As she opened the door, the first thing to hit her nostrils was the smell of rotting onions lingering thick in the air like the aura of decayed flesh. She saw an unremarkable one bedroom flat that was kept in mostly tidy though not meticulous condition. Some food was laying out, but was never prepared. Interestingly, Nica found no books in the vicinity, it seemed like Raziel was a minimalist who only checked out the books she was reading. There was nothing else of note in the apartment- no unusual spell components, no animals, no unusual messages or items lying around. It was a dead end as far as Nica was concerned. A thorough, systematic search of the apartment led to no further leads.

It was unusual.

*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

On the way she made a note of the streets potential strangers, something she'd have to address in a full report to Harmonium Barracks to address the vulnerabilities for future patrol route designs, at this stage it might not be relevant for this particular case, but prevention is also important. Nica greeted the harmonium guarding the place with a small nod and recognition of their ranks. Asked a brief summary of reports, which likely were nothing important, but she prefered to be thorough.

Checking through the apartment that seemed to shed little clues to the mystery at hand, she'd regardless make notes of the small details that were there, for future references. However she'd pay particular attention to one small detail still: the four books she had checked out, weren't in the apartment. Them missing was thus far the most important clue of the timeframe, she likely went missing prior to reaching home.

So she knew they went missing somewhere between her home and the Hall of Records, which showed great potential for ambushes or attacks that it could lead to. They weren't likely practitioner of magic, unless they did it in alternative location, which she could not fully conclude to be true or false with the current information.

She'd then exit the apartment, instruct the guards there to lock the place up properly and return back to active duty elsewhere. It'd be a waste of resources to keep the Harmonium there lollygagging on a dead end after all. After this she finally made her way to go don her duty armor, as it was time to enter the Hive Ward which was substantially less secure to travel in. After her fullplate armor was properly put on, she'd march with rhytmic, proud and heavy steps to the Hive Ward and from there to Mortuary.