Deri's Flight

*Aidelynn

Posted by *Aidelynn »

((This is an "offstage" continuation of some RP that occurred earlier today. There may be a few things revealed in this thread that would probably be considered OOC knowledge. Please read responsibly. ;)

((I had included some DC, but I think this will go better as pure RP.

Tears blurred her vision as Deri ran back to the inn, bumping into people and shoving them away with incoherent shouts. Leaving Marius and Kelth, she fled back to her room at the Smoking Hammer.

Crying again, she thought. When did you become so fragile? There was no need to answer that question, of course. She knew exactly when it had happened.

She tripped up the stairs of the inn, heedless of anyone in the common room seeing her. Turning into one of the cheapest rooms, she pelted inside, slamming the door behind her.

Someone watching, waiting, and listening outside would have heard several minutes of crying that slowly subsided followed by a minute or so of silence. They would then have heard an incoherent shout of bitter rage followed by a crash and the sound of breaking glass. For the next moment or two, grunts of exertion could be heard through the door.

Suddenly, the door burst open, and Deri darted out, carrying a rapier in one hand. The door slammed shut behind her, and the lock closed with a small
snick.
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

After Deri left the scene in the Great Bazaar, Marius continued conversation with Kelth and another cutter for moment, after which he excused himself and followed Deris steps, he paid a short visit to darker alley in the way to cast a simple spell without curious eyes or mouths asking questions, this single spell was invisibility. After making sure he no longer was visual for others, he rushed to catch up Deri.

Moment of seeking passed, until he spotted Deri marching on frustrated steps towards the Smoking Hammer Inn, and Marius put haste to his feet to catch her up before she got out of sight... which made him create unwanted noise of stepping until he reached the Smoking Hammer Inn and was luckily concealed by the ambient sounds of the inn already, he quickly followed Deri to her room, though staying outside this very room... listening to the crying and the burst of rage.

Marius made a note of the location of the room, about to leave to wait for better time, he stopped as the door suddenly bursted open and Deri darted out with chiv on her hand, thinking for while he was spotted, he slowly shifted his position to take out Deri, but he noticed soon it was needless as she left the inn without a sign of noticing him... an excelent opportunity.

After Deri had already left, Marius mumbled to himself:
an excelent opportunity to see how heartless she truly is... : he now wrote down list of things he'd need to gather in short time...
wrote:(Parchment he wrote down the list on)

- An living goblin, spellslinger one as well.
- Handcuffs enough powerful to keep the said goblin in bay, mouth gag to keep it shut so I don't have to listen it complain for long.
- Some tiny chiv so she'll be able to cut the goblins head with ease.
- A cutter capable of opening locks, just so I can get in.
He looked down at the list, knocking at his mask with the charcoal piece he wrote it with a few times to see if he missed anything and continued to mumble to himself: Aye, this should suffice... : He placed the parchment to his backpack and left the inn to look for supplies, at first he paid visit to the Great Bazaar and purchased an enchanted glass scalpel, after this he noticed the last ones would prove more difficult...

A group of planeswalkers stumbled near Marius to converse of paying a visit to the third layer of the Hells, one of the group talked of being capable of crafting weapons, an good opportunity to craft something else as well... Karath'rok the githzerai was tasked by few of the other bashers to craft alchemical silver weapons to the trip to Hells, Marius bought an ingot of darksteel and went to Karath'rok to speak in private to order a pair of darksteel handcuffs with carvings added on them. Once he had managed to create them, Marius promised to market his excelent service, and crossed the handcuffs from the list...

Time to find the goblin, the first place which crossed his minds that had goblins within it, was of course the Under Sigil, he took a walk to visit there, chanting a few arcane words to produce shield from the shadows for himself, he looked for a corpse lying around the Under Sigil, and ran negative energy through it chanting darkened words to bring it back on its feet and to serve him, this skeletal warrior kept away all the weak creatures while Marius concentrated on the task... living goblin spellslinger...

Going down the Under Sigil he finally found one, barking commands at the lesser goblins as Marius intruded their "lands", embracing the shadows Marius took spellcomponents with trained hand movements bringing them together followed by clear arcane chanting a chain of lightning broke the darkness with a crackling boom knocking down the first line of goblins and causing a few of them stand stunned of the sudden lighting adjustments, Marius wasted no second of the confusion and commanded his undead to take care of the other goblins while he concentrated on the spellslinger, this goblin had not been in combat first time he could measure from the goblins movements, lucky it, could survive to see another day, unlike the other goblins he thought.

Marius finished its fight with a single spell, an illusion which made the goblin believe he was the single only real creature around, and everything else was illusion, the goblin tried to chant some spells to see through the illusions or break it, but no avail, perhaps if he had more time. By the time he might've succeeded, Marius had already finished his own spell, an spell which paralyzed the victim, he placed the handcuffs and mouthgag to the goblin spellslinger he had just paralyzed, and casted invisibility to it to hide it, after this he left the undead to finish the other goblins, or be destroyed dying as he left the Under Sigil, satisfied of achieving his goal.

With effort he carried the smelling living invisible goblin to the Sigil streets, where few cutters gave him odd glances because of his wheezing and panting while he had no apparent weight on him, at least none they could see, he took the goblin to his room quickly before the spell would fade, and made sure it was well enough held to not escape, or worse, break something.

Taking a break after carrying the goblin Marius came to think another problem Deri might encounter, what if the head of Goblin spills blood, that might ruin her clothes... so he went to brief visit at the Civic Festhall and purchased a single outfit and hat, which he had got measured on one of the store mannequins roughly.

muttering after the last purchases:
Only one thing remaining... : He left to search for a cutter capable of opening locks, without questions, and of course not "remembering" anything afterwards. At first it seemed to prove difficult task to find any cutter as such, but finally he found one, one that he had not expected to be fitting to the task, Kelth. After brief questioning and making sure of arrangements that the task would not be mentioned on eithers behalf later on, Marius made sure he saw nothing inside, and was rather surprised of his expertise on this task...

After Kelth left him in privacy, Marius went to fetch the goblin that had finally got released of the spell effect, but not of the handcuffs... Marius calmly took out a knife and started to hum softly as he approached the goblins head with a knife, seeing its begging look in the eyes and the muffled complaining, he slowly used the knife to shave the head of goblin from all the hair, so it would not come in the way for Deris operation... after this task was done, he quitted humming, and once more made the goblin paralyzed once more, to move it to Deris room, making sure it was properly held with the handcuffs.

And left the other gifts (enchanted glass scalpel, outfit and hat) on the table with a letter:

wrote:Dear Deri,

As you had mentioned in the Great Bazaar that you had wanted to inspect a live goblin shamans brains, and left in a huff as I so ruthlessly called you 'heartless' for wanting to do something like that, for that please accept my apologies and gifts alongside it.

- Marius
: Marius finished his task and left Deris room alongside everything he had left there, locking the door behind him...

((and when you see me in game, you can contact me so I'll give that said scalpel, outfit and hat ;) ))
*Aidelynn

Posted by *Aidelynn »

Upon entering the room, Marius sees an inexpensively furnished room kept perfectly neat except for one jarring detail: a wet splatter mars one wall. Organic-smelling liquid drips down the wall to collect in a small puddle filled with shards of glass and an amorphous gray-white lump that is substantially larger than the brains she had shown him in the bazaar.

The bed is made, but a shallow dent in the coverlet and drops of moisture on the pillow indicate where Deri cried herself out before hurling the glass jar at the wall. There appears to be something tucked away under the bed.

On the roomÂ’s only table rests as small row of books on philosophy, the planes, phrenology, neuroanatomy, plant care, and necromancy. These books stand like soldiers looking down on an open notebook filled with the same feminine script that Marius had seen on the jars Deri had carried.

A shelf on one wall holds a battered steel mirror, bottles of some chemical preservative, an extra bottle of ink, and a small, somewhat sickly-appearing flower in a pot filled with soil.

((I will add Deri's response to the gifts in a bit. I wanted to give Marius an opportunity to poke around in the room before I continued, though. :D
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

Before leaving the room, Marius takes a peek at the unexpected furnitures and and tomes, he takes a glance at the book titles, running his finger on top of them, but making sure they do not fall down of his gentle touch. After this he takes a short peek at the open notebook and its content, being careful to mark the very same page it was open as to not leave signs of it been read at all.
*Aidelynn

Posted by *Aidelynn »

The furniture is unremarkable except for two bags of salt partially hidden beneath the bed. A short skirt, neatly folded and packed in a travelling bag resides there as well.

The book titles are as follows:

Phrenology and Its Roots
Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple
Higher Thought Processes: A View of the Frontal Cortex
Monocots of the Planes: An HerbalistÂ’s Field Guide
An Organized Treatise on Chaos
Drassus PlaneswalkerÂ’s Guide to the Planes
BeginnerÂ’s Reanimation
Spellcraft of Thanatos

The notebook details Deri’s life since her arrival in Sigil, her rather surprised discovery that “jink” serves as salt, and her adventures around (and under) Sigil.

There are detailed drawings of rat and cranium rat brains, including extensive notes on the differences between the two. There are also a few drawings of goblin brains, though it is clear from the drawing and the notations that most of these were too badly damaged to study well.

The final page discusses DeriÂ’s feelings following her near-rape in the Hive. Here, she confesses to feeling torn by the outcome of those events. While she believed that Wheedle was a villain who deserved death, and she feels grateful to Piel and most especially Nastasia for confronting the oaf, she wonders if his summary execution really amounts to justice.

She also feels frightened because part of her, buried deeply, feels that maybe Wheedle did not suffer enough for what he did to her.

It is clear from her lengthy dissertation that she is quite conflicted over this, but after a few pages, there are a few incomplete drawings of WheedleÂ’s brain, which she admits to having removed following his death. The notes are incomplete, as are the drawings. Given the slowly-drying brain in the corner, it seems unlikely that they will ever be completed nowÂ…
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

while Marius is flipping through the pages, he accidentally rips a part of one of the pages with cranium rat picture, due to his gloves giving no good touch or smoothness, he tries to set it back mostly as it was, and make sure the notebook is open from the very same page it had been opened before, after this he excuses himself before Deri might come back.
*Aidelynn

Posted by *Aidelynn »

Anyone seeing Deri walking back into the inn would find her to be much more recognizably the woman she had been. For the first time in three days, her eyes were not red from crying. She had bathed, and Gionell had done a good job in reproducing her green gown and turban.

Her conversation with Razi had cheered her, somewhat. The tiefling seemed so willing to take risks. Deri envied her, even as she winced at the thought of what even her small risk had nearly cost her.

When Deri opened the door to her room, she froze suddenly, reaching for her blade at the sight of the goblin in her room. Before she had fully drawn it, however, she realized that the creature was bound and silenced. Her hazel eyes swept the room before narrowing as they came to rest on the letter, scalpel, and clothing left on the table.

Seeing the items there, she stiffened suddenly.
Someone has been in here. Here. In my room! Poking her head into the hallway, she verified that no one stood outside, then she stepped back into the room and quietly locked the door behind her. I shall be having a word with Gurdul-Zarag about his security in the very near future, she thought.

Giving the silently-glaring goblin a wide berth, she checked under her bed, verifiying that her salt remained in place. Seeing that it was, she stood and approached the table.

It never occurred to her that the note might be enchanted, or that the table might be trapped. She read the note several times, before setting it down and staring at the wall.
So, he thinks an apology and a few trinkets make it alright, does he? She purposely avoided looking at the bound goblin in the corner of the room. Well, not exactly trinkets, she conceded.

She picked up the scalpel, admiring the feel of it. The outfit, she left alone for the moment. She was pleased to be back in her usual clothes, and after her encounter with Jack and the rest of SigilÂ’s denizens, she was fairly certain that the outfit would not be something she would be willing to be seen in.

Sighing deeply, she turned and faced the goblin. The bald creature glared at her, bound and gagged as it was, and, despite herself, she felt touched.
Marius shaved him for me, she thought affectionately. She then shook her head in irritation.

I suppose candy and flowers would have been laughed at as gifts in Sigil, but I am not sure how I feel that the first gifts a boy has ever sent me are a scalpel, an outfit, and a bald goblin for me to carve into. For a moment, the absurdity of the thought had her standing in the center of the room, head thrown back and laughing at the ceiling.

The goblin, seeing her standing there, holding a scalpel and laughing maniacally, began cowering in fear. He struggled against his enchanted bonds, sweating in fear and in his effort to flee.

Eventually, Deri returned to herself. Without pausing, she uttered the words that instantly would send him into a deep sleep. His face froze in terror, even as he collapsed onto her floor.

Stepping forward, holding the scalpel, she looked at the spot above his ear where she would make the first cut. She pulled the skin taut and...began crying.

At first, she cried slow, fat tears that rolled down her face, but they quickly gave way to shaking gasps. She dropped the scalpel on the floor and hurled herself onto the bed, kicking and punching the mattress and screaming into the pillow. At last cried out, she fell asleep, watched by the goblin who had regained consciousness sometime while she sobbed.

When she woke, several hours later, her dress was wrinkled and her eyes were gummy with tears and sleep.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, she regarded the goblin for several long minutes. Moving mechanically, she opened the door to the room, picked up the scalpel, then moved to kneel before the goblin. She undid the cuffs, then gestured towards the open door.

“Go,” she said, then made shooing gestures. “Go!”

The goblin stared at her for one heartbeat before darting out of the room like a bolt from a crossbow. HeÂ’ll probably be killed before he makes it back to Under Sigil, she thought sadly. Well, nothing I can do about that.

Closing the door, she slipped out of her wrinkled dress and walked to the table and the outfit lying there. No harm trying it on, she thoughtÂ…and froze.

“My notes,” she whispered. “Did he read my notes?!”

Desperately, she picked up the book, reading over the open page, then flipping back a few pages, as if to remind herself of what was there. When she saw the tear, her heart sank. She would never, ever have damaged a book.

“He did! He looked in my notes!” Suddenly, she felt more violated than she had either when she had been nearly raped, or when her living quarters had been penetrated. While both had been intimate invasions, this book revealed almost everything about herself. It was if he had had an opportunity to look inside her mind and her heart.

She looked at the door as if she could see through it into the courtyard beyond, down into the Great Bazaar where he was undoubtedly holding court.

“That…perverted…unmannered…uncouth…boy!” she spat. “How dare he? How dare he?”

Moving swiftly to make herself presentable, she made her way down to the common room. “First, I am going to talk to Gurdul-Zarag about how he will let just anyone into these rooms. Then,” her hazel eyes flashed, “I will be having a little word with Marius.”
*Mausman

Posted by *Mausman »

Poor lad.. *Kelth thought to himself*

He be nae darin´ tae admit he lost ´is key tae ´is oown room hehe, nae need tae be all mysterious aboout it......

Aye, I kin ´elp ye wiv tha´ door lad....nae problem....an´ sure, just nae mention me name eh?

*Kelth, in his mind, played along with Marius and with a -click- opened that door, got his pay and walked off*

Always good tae ´elp...