The Twin Cages - Defense of the Outlands

DigiDragoon

Posted by DigiDragoon »

A scrawny woman calling herself Nadya turns up to the camp asking if there's anything she can do to be of help in the defense. She bears no faction badge and carries herself more like a worried civilian then an actual planeswalker.
Krilari

Posted by Krilari »

Abwan was a contrarian sight around camp, at times ever-present, at others confoundingly absent. Measured more in duties than whims he was only where he was needed in order to provide necessary aid. Filling in as a grunt of the Harmonium proved to be a common pass-time, moving boxes here and there, seeing that supplies are loaded, unloaded, and ferried about as needed; Though the detail was shared with a number of other menial tasks ranging from perimeter patrolling to carpentry, with the most peculiar of his obligations reserved for the fleeting moments of repose.

Frequently seen with a whittling knife and a block of wood in-hand, Abwan traversed from camp to camp, fire to fire, never barging in but all the same inviting conversation. In particular he aimed to warm himself to the more green of the war camp's many ranks, to the nervous Harmonium pawns or fleeting Sensates out to experience War. He found their fires, one at a time, brought drinks and his merry spirit, and talked with the myriad of awkward near-adults who had an at-best fledgling interpretation of combat and the horrors stored there within. He girded their inexperience with his own wisdom, at least to the best that his simple man's perspective could allow, and tried to ease their rightful pre-combat nausea with tales that lingered long into the night, well beyond the fire's dying ember.

When it came time to retreat from these fireside sessions Abwan was often armed with empty bottles, a well-worn whittling knife, and some carved contraption ranging from simple little animals with moving feet, to rolling carts and makshift dolls decorated with brush for hair. Toys, simply enough. They would soon pass into the hands of the camp's children, be they refugees, or the young unfortunate enough to have followed their parents to camp.

These nights always ended the same, the Half-Ogre tucked into a secluded portion of the Planeswalker's camp, away from where his snoring would be a bother, away from where others could hear his restless turning, away where he spent hours trying not to think of the young and misguided who would not yet live to see the end of it all. When sleep found him it was with worn eyes and a wooden charm wrapped within his palm, a sun bearing twelve points held close to his heart.
Serena

Posted by Serena »

Eventually, Aidan confirmed to Mover Shar his deployment to the war camp, asking at the same time clearance for a light mercenary vessel under contract with the Fated, the "Shadow of Doubt", to be positioned on stand-by close to the settlement in an appropriate location.

The half-drow's arrival at the war camp was discreet, perfectly in line with his usual behaviour and probably even accentuated by his current jaded attitude, that almost clashed with the tension usually expected from someone in that kind of circumstances; there was, however, little doubt on why the Fated Factor had been sent there, especially considered the investment of his Faction in the current efforts, and he was probably aware it didn't put him in any favourable position with the rest of the people.
Luckily, he was accustomed to that kind of things, so he made a point to act as if it was a non issue to him: he spent few hours quietly familiarising with the camp layout and the structures available, getting acquainted with the ones in charge of the other Factions and exchanging words with whoever happened to have time and will to talk about the current situation, as to get a better idea of what to expect in the days to come.

Eventually, he seemed to decide the infirmary was were he was going to focus most of his attention during his free time, the medical equipment he had brought with himself proof it was something he had probably settled his mind on even before getting there: the decision might come as a surprise to the ones in the dark, but it wouldn't take much to realise the half-drow seemed to actually be competent in the field, almost as if he had worked in a similar situation in the past.
Amazingly, even his bedside manners exceeded his usual social skills with the healthy in normal circumstances.

And there went his days, between the time spent at the infirmary and his daily rounds of the encampment, that seemed to have almost no purpose beside giving him a reason to walk around with his notebook; he would end up asking from time to time to be assigned in support to one of the raids leaving the encampment, offering his arcane skills in help for both protection and offence, but that was a rare occurrence when not strictly necessary, as that forced him to rest more than he was clearly willing to do.
Not that he was ever seen resting, anyway...
"Hand me my shovel, I'm going in!"

Plays: Aidan Rhistel - Factor and Law Representative of the Fated
Feel free to reach to me IC for enlisting or general faction rp
Viann

Posted by Viann »

Clock was ticking as the day for attack was approaching. Measure Nica doubled down her efforts to train Harmonium namers and notaries both, now with combat and physical exercises as the sole focus. "Good form Notary Jeroth! You'll make a good measure one day. Go help notary Stevens train." but she was not above guiding the promising candidates to take more responsibility where they could. After all, the training was not about creating dependency, it was about creating capacity for individual choices. The group joker, Pastil, made another quip. If she didn't have her helmet on her smirk might've shown. Unfortunately for the trainees. "I hear notary Pastil still has more energy to spend! This is excellent news for all of you, because we still have time for another exercise today!" which earned low grumbling and complaints. Which Nica took in a stride.

"You will divide into two groups. Fight in formations. And I will point out which of you are dead. Notary Jeroth will be leading one team, and notary Pastil the other." She marched between the two teams in casual slow pace before continuing "The winners of this battle will have the privilge, no... duty... to gather refreshments to tonights party." and turned to march back between the teams "As for the losing team! For your failure to win. You've proven that you're clearly in need of more training." groaning started which Nica snappily interrupted by speaking with authority "As such you will be required to... be tonights entertainment!" her tone hadn't changed the least bit, still speaking with authorative military tone. But the trainees had caught on with the gist and collective smirks were starting to appear. "The fight starts in ten minutes, go discuss your tactics with your team leaders and make your formations based on it."

The fight ensued and while it was for lighthearted purposes the notaries took it seriously. And if they didn't, Nica was quick to point at them by name and state that they're "dead". It was after all, still training. Once it was all over, she declared the winners and made the final announcement to the Harmonium "I expect all of you to be combat ready early tomorrow. Tonight. Contact your families. Relax. Have some fun. That's an order! Dismissed!"

Nica did also pay a visit to the planewalker camp. "Planewalkers." she began declaratively, and with her usual authorative manner. "Your services have been effective, many scouting and supply convoys lie in ruins." letting that sink in as her gaze trailed from one to another planewalker "However..." she began putting emphasis on it to allow expectations seep in. "More is required to win this war. And tonight I have a special task for each and every one of you." Nica removed her helmet, propping it under her arm as she marched authoratively around the fireplace. Her usual resting bitch-face not least bit making her favors. "Tonight. I expect each and everyone of you to rest, have fun. Keep in touch with your family, friends. I know some of you may feel above taking orders from the Harmonium. That you aren't one of us." she continued her idle march before continuing again "I'll have you know, today you will face punishment, if you fail to meet this special task. You will have to go fetch drinks for your fellow planewalkers. So that it may be a lesson for the rest of you. You have your orders, at ease."

Her stony expression never once shifted despite lighthearted nature of the orders. Nica herself didn't participate in the festivities. She was patrolling, and visiting patients at infirmary. Delivering the donation by planewalker Minasien of medical supplies, and just chatting with wounded Harmonium. Having no medical training herself. Late at night she would be seen in the tallest watch tower keeping a watchful eye on the surroundings.
Tingly

Posted by Tingly »

The fire giant and Harmonium recruit Yngthil Emberblood made for an odd sight in the war camp, and a sight that could rarely be missed entirely. Possessed with enthusiasm and a dauntless spirit, and unperturbed by the lack of furniture in his size, he displayed a confidence unlike many of the other fresh Harmonium grunts. Encouraging his fellow rank and file of assured victory with a booming voice and a laugh, he has involved himself in skirmishes frequently.

Charging forward with a massive sword, his tactics have proven overly flashy; if nothing else, they certainly make him a primary target of the enemy. One particular battle saw him ignite firebombs at his feet after engaging with a group of foes, only to turn out unscathed thanks to his natural resistances.

One of his stranger habits outside of battle has seen him gathering very large rocks from the surroundings and into magic bags, in what he simply refers to as 'preparations'.
Arwendil

Posted by Arwendil »

As usual Eva was a little bit lazy and late to offer her help, but she still visited the Harmonium head quarter and offered her help to defend or attack during the war. Lets hope she won't be to lazy to go out of her bed when the fight start.
Taurus Daggerknight

Posted by Taurus Daggerknight »

With Gipon's Crossing and the river-watch fort secured, the war camp's forces now made ready for an even bigger, and sure to be bloodier encounter. For next would be the fight to liberate Faunel.

((The Battle for Faunel will occur next week at the same time! That is: 6th June, 2:00 PM US Central Time ))
I just want to kill monsters and get prizes for it. Is that REALLY so much to ask for?
Viann

Posted by Viann »

Nica filed her public report of the capture of the River Watch fort.
The Assault on the River Watch Fortification was a Success.

Within this fortification their warlocks were performing a large summoning ritual, to draw out fiendish allies. Initially the summoning ritual was disrupted, but I believe the act of killing the casters may have triggered the spell as it falsely interpreted the deaths of the casters as a sacrifice. Several fiends Exploded out of this, but were ultimately destroyed with minimal damage. It is possible this ritual may have proved more devastating had it been allowed to be a continuous channeling rather than a single burst of magical potency.

The fortification itself had a sizable force holding it, but they were ill-prepared to an attack which could bypass their gates. No casualties were sustained, but some members were injured after the fortification was secured intact for the most parts, with only minor damage.

Administrator Crake was able to secure a book of Crimson Dawn, which I believe to be their version of Book of Harmony. And will be copying this piece to distribute along the different branches. Notary Ephimerra and notary Kregorothax were in a pivotal role to harass enemy forces and ensure only few would reach the Giphon's Bridge. Bella, Mercykiller namer Sonja, Harmonium namer Gleam* proved their use in securing the fortification and intercepting the large deployment of reinforcements by the Crimson Dawn forces. Lyras magical expertise was utilized to identify the nature of the ritual, and to determine that it had been conclusively dealt with. ((Sorry if I forgot anyone!))

News from the other fronts is that the Crimson Dawn forces within the Acheron are being pushed back, and have requested - as well as been declined reinforcements. The Vorkehon within the Acheron has likely been considered a mistake on their part, as it used to be a Gatetown. Crimson Dawn Mover Reina has also been captured as prisoner.

I will leave reporting of the Giphon's Bridge attack details for one of the witnesses. I will however make a public notion of the ships that they had used to travel across the river. This leads me to believe, their entry to Outlands may be waterbound. And it would be useful to have some scouts follow this river to see where these ships may have come from. They still need to bring their supplies from somewhere, and I simply do not see them carrying ships along land just so they can put them on the river.

However any main effort should be focused on gathering intelligence details on their attacks to Faunel. If we get a clear picture of the approaches, siege weapons, their forward posts, and where the regional command is, we will have a strong chance to remove this siege. Supply attacks are still highly advised to slow down their approach. Updated supply lanes can be seen within the War Council space, be advised the situation is always changing, and they may try to secure supplies more aggressively now.

*) Harmonium Namer Gleam is requested to update his equipment to Harmonium uniform standards.
Taurus Daggerknight

Posted by Taurus Daggerknight »

DigiDragoon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:47 am A scrawny woman calling herself Nadya turns up to the camp asking if there's anything she can do to be of help in the defense. She bears no faction badge and carries herself more like a worried civilian then an actual planeswalker.
Strangely, it is not a Harmonium officer who sits behind the sign-up desk, but a Fated agent. He looks over Nadya with skepticism, and even outright asks if she's sure she isn't looking for a tavern to sweep. He doesn't refuse her, however, and soon enough slides over a document for her to sign. It seems to be a fairly standard registration and waver. Specifically; waving liability in the case of her potential death. On the bright side; it promises a wage of one platinum*, with room for bonuses under special conditions!

((*Per event. Bonuses depend on the groups overall performance))

Viann wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:22 am Nica filed her public report of the capture of the River Watch fort.
The Assault on the River Watch Fortification was a Success.

Within this fortification their warlocks were performing a large summoning ritual, to draw out fiendish allies. Initially the summoning ritual was disrupted, but I believe the act of killing the casters may have triggered the spell as it falsely interpreted the deaths of the casters as a sacrifice. Several fiends Exploded out of this, but were ultimately destroyed with minimal damage. It is possible this ritual may have proved more devastating had it been allowed to be a continuous channeling rather than a single burst of magical potency.

The fortification itself had a sizable force holding it, but they were ill-prepared to an attack which could bypass their gates. No casualties were sustained, but some members were injured after the fortification was secured intact for the most parts, with only minor damage.

Administrator Crake was able to secure a book of Crimson Dawn, which I believe to be their version of Book of Harmony. And will be copying this piece to distribute along the different branches. Notary Ephimerra and notary Kregorothax were in a pivotal role to harass enemy forces and ensure only few would reach the Giphon's Bridge. Bella, Mercykiller namer Sonja, Harmonium namer Gleam* proved their use in securing the fortification and intercepting the large deployment of reinforcements by the Crimson Dawn forces. Lyras magical expertise was utilized to identify the nature of the ritual, and to determine that it had been conclusively dealt with. ((Sorry if I forgot anyone!))

News from the other fronts is that the Crimson Dawn forces within the Acheron are being pushed back, and have requested - as well as been declined reinforcements. The Vorkehon within the Acheron has likely been considered a mistake on their part, as it used to be a Gatetown. Crimson Dawn Mover Reina has also been captured as prisoner.

I will leave reporting of the Giphon's Bridge attack details for one of the witnesses. I will however make a public notion of the ships that they had used to travel across the river. This leads me to believe, their entry to Outlands may be waterbound. And it would be useful to have some scouts follow this river to see where these ships may have come from. They still need to bring their supplies from somewhere, and I simply do not see them carrying ships along land just so they can put them on the river.

However any main effort should be focused on gathering intelligence details on their attacks to Faunel. If we get a clear picture of the approaches, siege weapons, their forward posts, and where the regional command is, we will have a strong chance to remove this siege. Supply attacks are still highly advised to slow down their approach. Updated supply lanes can be seen within the War Council space, be advised the situation is always changing, and they may try to secure supplies more aggressively now.

*) Harmonium Namer Gleam is requested to update his equipment to Harmonium uniform standards.
Measure Nica's report is submitted to high command, after review by her immediate superiors. Upon her recommendation, scouts are dispatched to search the river for potential gateways.

Serena wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:47 pm Eventually, Aidan confirmed to Mover Shar his deployment to the war camp, asking at the same time clearance for a light mercenary vessel under contract with the Fated, the "Shadow of Doubt", to be positioned on stand-by close to the settlement in an appropriate location.

The half-drow's arrival at the war camp was discreet, perfectly in line with his usual behaviour and probably even accentuated by his current jaded attitude, that almost clashed with the tension usually expected from someone in that kind of circumstances; there was, however, little doubt on why the Fated Factor had been sent there, especially considered the investment of his Faction in the current efforts, and he was probably aware it didn't put him in any favourable position with the rest of the people.
Luckily, he was accustomed to that kind of things, so he made a point to act as if it was a non issue to him: he spent few hours quietly familiarising with the camp layout and the structures available, getting acquainted with the ones in charge of the other Factions and exchanging words with whoever happened to have time and will to talk about the current situation, as to get a better idea of what to expect in the days to come.

Eventually, he seemed to decide the infirmary was were he was going to focus most of his attention during his free time, the medical equipment he had brought with himself proof it was something he had probably settled his mind on even before getting there: the decision might come as a surprise to the ones in the dark, but it wouldn't take much to realise the half-drow seemed to actually be competent in the field, almost as if he had worked in a similar situation in the past.
Amazingly, even his bedside manners exceeded his usual social skills with the healthy in normal circumstances.

And there went his days, between the time spent at the infirmary and his daily rounds of the encampment, that seemed to have almost no purpose beside giving him a reason to walk around with his notebook; he would end up asking from time to time to be assigned in support to one of the raids leaving the encampment, offering his arcane skills in help for both protection and offence, but that was a rare occurrence when not strictly necessary, as that forced him to rest more than he was clearly willing to do.
Not that he was ever seen resting, anyway...
Factor Rhistel Aidan receives the following letter:

Factor Aidan,
Your request for clearance for the Spelljammer Shadow of Doubt will be granted only on the condition of its availability for operational deployment at the behest of the Sigilian coalition command. The captain of the vessel must be willing to direct its use towards those purposes deemed necessary for the war effort. Failing this, the vessel cannot be allowed to occupy the camp or draw on its resources.

May you find Harmony,

Mover Agathon Marquee

Meanwhile, Rhistel's presence in the infirmaries couldn't have been better timed; for while the Battle of Gipon's Crossing the concurrent take-over of the River Watch had few casualties, there were most certainly wounds to tend.
I just want to kill monsters and get prizes for it. Is that REALLY so much to ask for?
silinrul357

Posted by silinrul357 »

Minasien didn't take part in either of the missions, probably having stayed back at the camp to help immediately tend the wounded. She gave some mutterings about not actually having been able to go, but knew at the same time she probably would've been much more use where she was anyway. That, and there was still a few supply chains and scout camps that wouldn't blow themselves up. Minasien had become something of a blur of activity. She wasn't often seen at the camp, but when she was, she came back with goods in hand. Lately she'd have come back with pouches and pouches full of medical supplies, most of which were offered up to the infirmary, but a few offered to the planeswalkers as well. This was also accompanied by several bottles of potions and magical sequencers injected with her own potent healing magics. These were shared among anyone whom wanted them.

While in the outlands though, she made something of a change of tactic. When not doing her typical 'borrowing' of their supplies, she actually made very brief checks of troop movement, and instead of always disrupting them, sometimes she'd let them go on their way to see which way they were headed. She might even trail them just a bit, and make notes of such, before making her way back. She also was still trying to intercept anything particular about their leadership, especially about this 'seer', but anything about levels of leadership and planning would do. Afterward, she would return to camp (and making any and every attempt to avoid detection and conflict while doing so).

She never refused anyone's need for help and spread word around that anyone needing her magic around the camp, whether her protective warding or healing, only had to ask for it. Despite her normal jovial nature though, Minasien remained taciturn, and even uncharacteristically cold towards some people when pressed about it. Still, with the influx of new injuries from operations, even Minasien's considerable energy was starting to drain. Still, she didn't stop her actions past what she saw necessary, and thus kept continuing her forays between acting against this 'Crimson' army, and helping out at the camps.