The Twin Cages - Defense of the Outlands

Taurus Daggerknight

Posted by Taurus Daggerknight »

Following the Battle of Ogden's Watch, the Sigilian forces once again returned to preparations for the liberation of Glorium.

Factol Sarin's legion returned to the war camp a day after, triumphant in their clash with the enemy reinforcements.
I just want to kill monsters and get prizes for it. Is that REALLY so much to ask for?
Viann

Posted by Viann »

Measure Nica upon hearing the approach of the army was among the first to welcome them back bowing deeply in passing to her Factol. Though kept her eyes on him this time over unlike usual. "I am pleased to hear the rumors of your capture were exaggerated, Factol Sarin." then proceed to walk alongside, though maintaining respectful distance. "We have a problem in Faunel. With your permission, sir. I would like to call in the portal research group to assist, post haste."
Serena

Posted by Serena »

Having returned to the offices in the Hall for the few days of quietness between the battle of Faunel and the next planning in the Outlands, the half-drow took all the time required to fill in a comprehensive report of the achievements -as well as losses- the Sigillian forces had on the war front. The document included a list of the assets involved during each operation and the mercenaries who took part to each mission, along with a thorough list of all the citizens who had lost their lives during the various battles: this last document, specifically, was addressed to the Census Office, with a veiled request that the families would be granted the compensation previously intended for their fallen loved ones.

The report was accompanied by a brief note, addressed to Duke Rowan
“Factol,
I confirm I have forgone the previous planning regarding requesting assistance from the Red Death on the Glorium matter: with the conflict taking a different turn, the premise of mutual help I had envisioned did not apply anymore, and any other deal would have ended up putting us in disadvantage during the negotiations. Moreover, their forces witnessed a strong blow as they marched to meet the bulk of our army at Ogden’s Watch, something that, added with the worrying informations recently gained from the Kadinger’s Company, made any previous speculation on how to confront Crimson Dawn in Glorium absolutely obsolete.
Any other plan on how to move toward the securing of Ysgard’s gate-town will be at this point organized in coordination with the Harmonium as previously envisioned.

Unless anything different is needed of me, I’ll soon return to Ogden’s Watch myself to resume my previous duties, I only have a business at the Prisons I wish to take care of before doing so.

Factor R. Aidan”

In the following days, he however made sure to reach for Measure Nica to share with her the information they had gotten regarding both Glorium and the Crimson Dawn possible future moves, yet, he was still taken by surprise when he came to know the attack they had been expecting to their forces and Ogden’s Watch came not even a day later.

Momentarily abandoning his plans regarding his prisoner of interest, he made back to the camp in a haste, managing to arrive in time only to deal with the aftermaths; the news about Factol Sarin being captured were worrying, but somehow, seeing him return left him unsettled even more.
He considered reaching the Measure to share his worries with her, but part of him half expected her to have already followed his same train of thoughts, so he simply decided to try something different: if he wished to have clues on whether this Sarin was the real one and not just a substitute, he could as well try and see if divination would help him on this.
And this is why he ended up spending an entire evening in one of the tents in the camp, performing in order a “Discern Location” and a “Scrying”, focused on the only Factol Sarin he had ever met and known.
If his doubts had been ill placed, he would have been more than glad to apologize for his rudeness later on, but surely he wasn’t going to regret checking in the first place.
"Hand me my shovel, I'm going in!"

Plays: Aidan Rhistel - Factor and Law Representative of the Fated
Feel free to reach to me IC for enlisting or general faction rp
silinrul357

Posted by silinrul357 »

Her exhaustion was beginning to show a bit, but Minasien kept true to her word; a rare thing for a whim not to take her elsewhere, she knew, but this was Faunel. It was one of her more favorite gate towns, nevermind that she also hated permanent portals of darkness summoning up all sorts of fiendish horror shows. Staying so focused on a singular task was something she didn't have a history of until recently, and ironically, what she was wanting to do in this case was very different from what she was actually doing. Still, she kept at it, and only stopped long enough to stave off complete exhaustion, with the occasional need for a relaxing tea. She'd told Nica before that it was actually less efficient of a person to work non-stop without break. She was at least good at following her own advice.

Still, one might've questioned just how much. Every so often, the random walker around her would probably see her talking to herself, as if someone else was there. She'd quickly stop that of course with a look of embarrassment should anyone come near, but it was clear she was troubled. The looks she was giving the dark portal were clearly of some concern to her, and she was all too free to mention, "What if there are more out there? I guarantee there is."

She kept at it though, and hopefully, was making some progress. "I'm the most abusive portal-magic user in the entire cage. Just ask around." She'd told that to Nica before, and it definitely had some truth. This one was different of course, but she still hoped her 'specialization' would be of some use here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Editing so I don't needlessly make a new post; thanks for update Mimi)

True to what she'd said, it took a few days, but Minasien finally managed to close it. She returned to the camp with a clear look of exhaustion on her face, but perhaps ironically, in a much better mood about things. Ironic, because whenever asked about the situation, she painted a rather bleak picture about more potential portals like that one in Faunel, and the fact that this war was going to be going on for a lot longer than anyone else wanted. It wasn't something she enjoyed, but something had happened that clearly had put a new spark in her eyes.

When she returned to the camp, she did take some time to rest, now even reserving her healing and warding abilities to those whom were in the most need. Working days like that was exhausting even for her, after all. She stressed that it would only be a short time she'd be down before she was back up and helping again though. More important than that, she'd soon return to her ways of being more scarce at the camp because she was in the outlands looking into those signs. Her talking to herself, for those whom had known her, had come to an abrupt halt as well. Once more she had a strong focus, and returned to studying those altars, now with the knowledge of the portal she'd just sealed under her belt.
Taurus Daggerknight

Posted by Taurus Daggerknight »

((Heads up; this Saturday we will NOT have a battle-event, and instead will be hosting for some of the other groups. Please remember that while you may bring another character to those events, your characters currently in the Outlands Defense events are -not- going to be able to join the Saturday show.

With that said, we will be posting some IC news and matters for the Outland team soon.))
I just want to kill monsters and get prizes for it. Is that REALLY so much to ask for?
Tingly

Posted by Tingly »

Ygthil Emberblood recruits the help of a medium-sized Harmonium grunt capable of operating a pen, and writes letters directed to Measure Nica Brianna Kelter, Factor Tonat Shar and Factol Sarin.
Though I am a simple soldier, I wish to express my concerns with regards to the planeswalkers acting out of our warcamp.

Many times it has been suggested to me that we of Sigil ought to prove our righteousness greater than the Crimson Dawn. That we ought to show the soldiers and citizens of the Red Sigil that we are better. This, I agree with wholeheartedly.

Our armies have taken advantage of all manner of planar and monstrous volunteers, and this is tactically sound. Yet, I fear it may be difficult to reconcile with our goal of proving ourselves a different breed than the Crimson Dawn.

On patrol I have witnessed a planeswalker casually crack open the heads of our slain foes and begin to devour their brains. As appalling as this is, it caused me to consider; this is what some planeswalkers are willing to do right in front of a Harmonium soldier. I can only imagine what other debasements have been committed on our enemy out of our view, or in the view of soldiers afraid to speak of it.

This sort of thing stands to demoralize our soldiers, and subvert any attempts we may make to appeal to our righteousness. While it is unreasonable to hold such things too deeply against Sigilians who fight on the same side as us, it is my humble belief that we must begin to exercise stricter control over who uses the portals between the Harmonium barracks and the warcamp.

Through righteous blaze,

- Ygthil Emberblood,
Notary One
Viann

Posted by Viann »

Measure Nica reads the report submitted by notary Ygthil, for now she doesn't respond to that particular message however. But takes it under consideration. Instead she submitted new orders and instructions for the planewalkers.
The Faunel issue has been sorted, and we can return our full attention to what remains. The dangerous frontier ahead of us, Glorium. While many of you may have already grown tired of this war. The end of the beginning is ahead of us. And we will require solutions. Glorium - as previously reported is a difficult to access terrain. All available scouts should try their best to find alternative paths, weaknesses in their defenses, and locate the remaining civilians. There is still a lot of work ahead of us, and to bolster your morale, I have written a poem for you.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'm stuck on Outlands front,
And so are fucking you.

So lets change that situations ladies and gentlemen. Gather equipment while you can, and don't fall to the trap of thinking this war is already over. How you act from here on out, may determine how many lives are being saved. It is not yet certain when the attack will come - but it will come. So make the best of it with the down time.

- Nica Brianna Kelter,
Measure One
After that, she proceed to once more continue harsh training regiment with the Harmonium. And keep an eye out on Factol Sarin, and any changes in patrol and guard shifts, passively.
Weirwood

Posted by Weirwood »

Viann wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:09 pm Glorium - as previously reported is a difficult to access terrain. All available scouts should try their best to find alternative paths, weaknesses in their defenses, and locate the remaining civilians.

Xujja heads out for a few hours every dusk and dawn to scout the lands around Glorium. He flies low over the countryside hidden from all but the sharpest eyes by virtue of his natural talents as a Shadow dragon but also layered with both a persistent Invisibility and a See Invisibility spell too.

He is looking first for any sort of access to the city other than the obvious ones. Hidden passes come to mind but if theres caves anywhere on the hill that houses the city Xujja will check them out too as long as they arent actively inhabited and guarded. He stays out of ballista and trebuchet range but does land in places where he can take cover and observe the city walls closely enough to look for vulenerablities

While in the air on the way back from each patrol he makes note of any choke points between Faunel and Glorium and marks them on a map.

He also brings back news of any big troop movements, and he will use wands and scrolls to boost his ability to investigate anything out of the ordinary he might fly over. If the missing civilians are seen he reports their location as well.
Viann

Posted by Viann »

Measure Nica starts drafting series of reports after discussion with planewalkers for updated information on series of fronts.

Report to Mover Tonat Shar. This is something she hand delivers herself. If questioned for the reason, she'll state it is classified and of utmost importance.
Mover 5 Tonat Shar,

Issue #1

I have some important matters to address. Let us start with the most immediate concern. It is possible that we have a spy within the Outlands Defense groups high command. And I will start this by trying to martial my facts. Lets go back to the day the Ogens Watch was attacked, planewalkers and Harmonium gather to briefing. One of the Mercykillers in the high command states that Factol Sarin shouldn't have left at this time to meet the Crimson Dawn reinforcements. This is the first time it is revealed to public. Me and my team are sent to Faunel, to put an end to the Crimson Dawn remnants. At that time we meet Darnborn Mikkel. Whom informs us that Factol Sarin has been captured, and that we may not have a place to return to.

How did he have intelligence information of Factol Sarins movements, either sooner, or almost as soon as we did? He either flew into Faunel front, or got the information elsewhere. They have a spy among our high command, who was able to attain that information very quickly. I don't think anyone in Factol Sarins army could've sent a message discreetly enough to not arouse suspicion in such a short notice. I suggest checking everyone who were on the shift at the time, Harmonium or Mercykiller. Scribes and guards, to narrow down possible suspects and investigate them thoroughly to be certain.

Issue #2

Next in line, we have prisoner question. First of all, I have been informed of the ransom proposal offered for Mover Reina, and Inquisitor Aidan Rhistel. One hundred thousand gold per prisoner is not a sufficient price for potentially important strategic and tactical individuals. I have an alternative that may prove a better strategic value for the Harmonium. We exchange these two high ranking prisoners, for all the remaining population of Glorium. While the citizen of Glorium on their own are not strategically valuable for our cause, it is important to notice that we are trying to liberate Glorium and they are currently equivalent to hostages.

If we have to fight trying to preserve their lives, and our own, we are going to have increasingly difficult battle ahead of us. I suggest we take the hostages out of the picture with prisoner exchange. This will let us use much more aggressive and destructive means to attack Glorium without needing to walk on eggshells to preserve the "hostages" lives.

For financial aspects, we can take war reparations after we win this war.

Issue #3

There are important discoveries made by Klo of the baatezu, Outlands defense group. Whom has released report of their findings. Among which a concerning notion that every single member of Crimson Dawn may be pacted, further evidence can be found in Crimson Dawn, Book of Days. Which would suggest each Crimson Dawn member killed, may be making some yet unknown entity stronger. And perhaps validate their thus far suicidal strategies. Such conclusions may be pre-mature, but definitely warrant further investigations.

I would propose we question the one high profile prisoner we still have, that they have not requested. Darkborn Mikkel. Whom, as I have come to understand, may act as some level of religious herald for their hierarchy. They may be able to provide answers - granted as a fanatic they might not be forthcoming. There is some planewalkers who already are in the know of this matter and I'd suggest granting clearance for questioning to the following planewalkers:
- Professor Sharon Raynsford.
- Her spouse, Leyana.
- Baatezu Klo.
- Baatezu Sarin. According to what I have heard, some manner of an expert in matter of souls.
- Tindra of the Fraternity of Order.

Peace will be restored,

- Nica Brianna Kelter,
Measure One
Viann

Posted by Viann »

Another report is written, this time a public one.
It has come to our attention, that each Crimson Dawn member, may be pacted as part of their indoctrination process. This is both in recent report by planewalker Klo, but also notions in the Book of Crimson Dawn that supports these claims. This may mean that every member of Crimson Dawn which we kill, may make some other entity more powerful in the process.

Of course, we are at war. I cannot ask you not to defend yourself, that is not within my power, nor would it be fair for me to request such a thing. However I would suggest, for the time being, if you find it within your capability to incapacitate rather than kill the enemy you come across and take them as prisoner... it may have long yielding benefits. I do not expect this to be possible, and you should not put your own life at risk in achieving that.

An addition to this. For arcanists within the Outlands Defense group, your services may prove useful. Each of these pacts are written in blood of each member of Crimson Dawn as a child. Book of Days speaks of "the Codex", whether there is a single one, or several ones where each families quill down with blood. I am uncertain. But I would suggest trying to find a codex through their blood ties of any Crimson Dawn member. This may prove useful for investigating the conclusive ramifications.

Important Notice

Diplomatic Team of the allied forces have achieved an initial treaty with the Crimson Dawn. Concretely it is to provide a loser of the conflict a peaceful access to collect their own fallen from the battlefield. We are not yielding ground in doing so, but we will allow our enemy to collect their bodies after the fight, peacefully. Those who fail to allow this treaty to be followed, may be tried by Harmonium tribunal for war crimes. The Crimson Dawn will provide us similar access if we are to lose engagements.

This is a great distance away from peace. But it is the first steps we have achieved to talks between the Crimson Dawn. And it is in all of our benefit to reach an end of this conflict. If we follow through this amicably, they may be willing to form additional treaties that benefit all of us.

- Nica Brianna Kelter,
Measure One