The Twin Cages - Medics and Aid Workers

Viann

Posted by Viann »

An'aroluth upon examination would discover a fracture- no. Not just one, another. And another. And another. The further she looked, the clearer it became. Measure Nica's foot wasn't fine at all. Whatever had happened to her left foot, it had cracked her calcaneus. The talus was in two or three pieces. Navicular hadn't got unscathed either, but it was a benign fracture. Her tarsal bones also had benign factures.

Judging that damage, it's a miracle the nerves on her feet hadn't seemed to got damaged. But any operation required to fix that might put that luck to a test. Judging the damage, it becomes increasingly clear that she'll be lucky if her foot retains even eighty percent of its original capacity. At worst she'll never walk normally again.

During the examination, Nica didn't seem to complain of the pain. Clearly accustomed to it in her line of work and assignments. But she did accept the medicinal herbs for painkilling without a complaint.

"What's the damage, and when do I get back to field?" Nica asked and she clearly did not understand the severity of the damage judging the tone and choice of words.
silinrul357

Posted by silinrul357 »

An'aroluth would perk a brow at that question, and answer with a rather blunt, "depends if walking ever again is important to you."

She would then explain the situation to Nica in detail, and as simplistic as she could as well, only going into the details if asked for them because she didn't wish to confuse anyone that might not be familiar with the medical jargon and classification of the situation. She then explained the potential of fixing the foot and ankle as well as any risks involved. For her part, An'aroluth did not pull any punches in classification. She explained afterward very simply: "I'm sorry for being so blunt and even a bit insensitive-seeming about this, but I want you to fully understand the gravity of what I'm telling you here. Medically, it's important you fully understand what's wrong and what you're risking here. I cannot advise a return to active duty like this, and simply put, I'll be putting in a report to your superiors that if you leave, it's going to be against medical advice."

After that, her stern visage took a bit of a softer, more understanding tone, "I know how important it may feel to get back out there and help, to do something about this situation. I get that. The frustration you probably feel right now is immense, and I'm genuinely sorry about it. Please consider though your long-term here."

An'aroluth made several batches of pain-killing medicines and wrote instructions on what intervals to take it before addressing Nica one more time, "Please let me know how you'd wish to move from here. There's risk no matter what we do, so it must be your decision which to take."
Viann

Posted by Viann »

Nica listened to An'aroluth attentively, and even to her the limitations of human body started to sink in. And she generally knew them, having pushed them time and again when she stood among, and against species possessing super human capabilities. Multiverse was a dangerous place for a human, and she had faced, and even lead the way to many of those dangers head on. The list of broken bones on her foot. Like hands they are complex and delicate machinery in the body, damage like this was no joke. In some of the current cultures it could even lead to amputation. Sigil might have far more sophisticated methods to approach this manner of things, but it is still far cry from optimal.

It's one thing to remove foreign objects from body through surgery, another to try to re-assemble bones. Those kinds of things had been tried, and Nica had heard of those. It wasn't at all optimistic results. Even if initial operation might've been success, most of them had used magic, and even in those cases their bodies might've started to reject the tools used to attach the bones.

All this was going through her mind as she kept listening quietly, well past the point An'aroluth had stopped talking. Withdrawn into settling in worry that her career might very well be over. And all it had taken was a single incidence.

Finally she said. "... Understood." She took the medications offered. She considered her words carefully before saying. "Do what you can to fix the foot... take what risks you need to. I'll... fight another day." She was about to turn over, before something else dawned on her. "Can I get some parchment, quill and ink?"

Whether or not she got them, she'd turn toward the side that gave her the most privacy. To hide what she never allowed herself to display. A very human emotion. Tears.
silinrul357

Posted by silinrul357 »

"Alright. It will be done. You'll still need to stay here for at least a few days while preparation is made, you'll need to be at your best health for it."

An'aroluth then proceeded to do three things: first, she handed over a quill and parchment per the request. Second, she handed a list of things she was going to need to someone that could gather materials for her. Finally, she wrote a letter, and sent it off to the Harmonium Barracks. True to her word this time, she gave the full diagnosis in the letter, and explicitly stated that sending Nica back would be against her medical advice.

After that all was done, she would return to Nica, "Everything is in the works now. I'm not exactly going to accuse this of being even close to comfortable dwellings in the least, nor your situation one you can dress up with a glass of wine and drink away, but let me know if there's something I can do to try and make it at least a little more tolerable. "
Viann

Posted by Viann »

"I'll live." is all the Measure mustered to say in response, without turning to face An'aroluth. It's not like she was that attuned to luxury in general. Harmonium lifestyle, particularly hers, was a rough one with few comforts. It was only a minor decline from the standard issue Measure field bed and room she was used to. "Just privacy for now... let me know when the operation is, when you get the information." if they were about to turn to leave, she'd make one last request. "And a crutch. Just incase."

With that she started to write the report she had neglected to do thus far. Once done, she asked it to be delivered to the Outlands Defense group. ((it'll be posted in that topic))
silinrul357

Posted by silinrul357 »

An'aroluth would set everything in place as requested, giving her the crutch, and the privacy, but letting her know once more she would be nearby if needed. It was actually something of an irony of the situation. Clearly, this was a veteran of her trade: 'war.' Whether An'aroluth had liked it or not, it was something she was familiar with herself, and although she had hung up her sword a time ago for those purposes, she still well understood what Nica might have been going through.

An'aroluth's face did little to hide that knowledge and emotion too, but she didn't say anything about it. She knew there wasn't anything to say, anyway. There was no real 'right' words for this situation.

So instead, she focused on work. She would send for a few more of the skilled doctors that could help her out, and shortly afterward would begin preparation for the surgery. And in a few days time, if all went to plan, hopefully Nica would be walking again soon. Hopefully. At the very least, An'aroluth would put every effort she could into it.
Viann

Posted by Viann »

Measure Nica after her initial melancholic stupor had started to get a little more active again. Only requesting more writing implements to make personal notes. Quick glances on them would display planning, notes and general ideas in relation to the on going war. Besides this she has got a little more mobile, though using her crutch to keep weight of her left foot. Despite her very rarely seen civilian clothes, she still maintains Harmonium badges on herself, a matter of pride. And she carries herself with the usual aura of authority, but it is definitely diminished by her marginally hunched posture and use of crutch. Also the general concession to medical experts.

Most of her time is regardless spent resting. And as much away from others as possible in the likely crowded spaces.
silinrul357

Posted by silinrul357 »

(Unless there's reason to stop it, you can probably assume Ana is gonna go through with this ASAP)
Viann

Posted by Viann »

((Nica has no reason to stop it. At least another player might be interested in getting involved, so I'm willing to wait for feedback. And discuss how best to proceed. Like do you prefer to continue via forums, or a sort of "mini-event" in game?))

((*EDIT*

How does saturday 2pm EST sound for everyone that might want to take part of the operation?At least as long as there's no other event that would conflict with it during that time. And based on brief discussion, currently there doesn't seem to be. Sort of an open invitation for medical team - less so for gawkers. Nica doesn't want an audience.

Location would probably be Weary Spirit infirmary.

And considering my previous post in defense group, I want to assure that I'm not trying to take away other players agency. If there are complications, it's because I want to challenge you, not to force you to automatically fail. I won't say what might come up by any means, just wanted to mention that here.))

((*EDIT#2*

I did not realize it was 4th of july, so let me know about availability and I can definitely re-schedual for something more fitting. It's not a thing here, but it is in the US, so I understand if it proves to be complicated.))
Tingly

Posted by Tingly »

Blues Green never showed a large amount of interest in individual patients; they had always considered their role as an 'aid worker' to be healing in a less direct fashion, through supporting the medics. Thus, it took a significant amount of time before they learned about Nica while they paid visit to Ogden's Reach. As Blues Green read Nica's public report, a thousand discordant thoughts flew through their mind, and gradually, it began to focus on a few of them.

Believing that this should be delicately approached, Blues Green paid another Godsman to deliver a letter 'for the eyes of Nica Brianna Kelter only'. It was contained in a ludicrously ornate envelope displaying a whirlpool of many colors, with the symbol of the Believers of the Source prominently displayed in front. If pressured, the courier would reveal that the letter is from a 'Godsman slaad, who seemed to be really serious and whatnot'.

On opening, the letter emitted the pleasant smell of melted chocolate. Why, is anyone's guess. The following was written with no small amount of calligraphy on display;
Salutations!

I, the writer, am a volunteer who has frequently aided the medics of Sigil. It has recently come to my attention that the medics attendant to you have disgracefully failed to bring you back into fighting shape. While I am appalled, I also bear some responsibility, as I have paid too little attention to the goings on of the Weary Spirit Infirmary of late. It is my hope that you will allow me to remedy this.

Before anything else, I would like to caution you; the building you occupy has been the target of a wave of Anarchist attacks that is ongoing. I have no doubt that the Anarchists still pay attention to the infirmary; and furthermore, it would benefit their goals to convince a ranking soldier of Sigil to stay off of the battlefield and be contained to the hospital when they next attempt to burn it to the ground. A healthy dose of skepticism towards your diagnoses would be appropriate, I think.

As you are not healed already, I presume the following; advanced healing magics are not an option for you, and mundane healing cannot address your wounds in a timely manner. I would like to offer you another option. I am a being who, simply put, has had their head 'pop' open in an explosion once before, only to grow back in short order. This is a biological process which, as an alchemist, I believe your body could be made to adopt on at least a temporary basis. Whatever the nature of your injury may be, this should cure it in short order.

Finally, if you have not realized this already, I am a Slaad. No doubt you are concerned about my motives, with regards to my predilection towards chaos. This is not unfounded, as writing this letter as coherently as I have has taken a concert-ed effort. Concerts, like the kind of thing one would hear a 'harmony' in. See what I did there? To this matter, I will tell you that I am a loyal factioneer, and however many complications our factions may have had in the past, I recognize that we both have common enemies in Red Sigil and the Anarchists. These pose an existential threat that must take priority, and so I am focusing my efforts appropriately. If you review Mercykiller information on the recent attack on the Infirmary, you may find that I have proven this loyalty in very clear ways.

If you are willing to take the option I offer, then send word to the Great Forge and I will make the arrangements. If not, I will still look to make myself present to defend the Infirmary again as necessary.

- Blues Green