The Syndicate

*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

The door to the Syndicate hall closed. Those who were gathered had been summoned by the first chair to deal with a matter of importance. Once inside, the door was locked and the meeting began.

Charles spoke of the need to maintain a level of trust and of secrecy and loyalty within the Syndicate. He spoke of the need to ensure that, above all else, the needs of the Syndicate and the village itself, were put above the desires of the single member. It was at this point that he stared directly across the table at a long established member.

"You" he said while pointing at Taglish "have broken that trust. You have brought the sword of the Harmonium into our ranks. You have sold us out to the surface".

Taglish opened his mouth to deny the accusation. As he spoke has was grabbed on both sides by Syndicate guards. He struggled and cursed. He spit and hurled accusations at Charles and the others... demanding to be released. The other members, unsure what to expect at this point, watched with guarded curiosity. The Syndicate guards, under orders from the First chair, searched Taglish until they found what they were looking for... a Harmonium badge. Taglish looked at it blankly and surprisingly as they tossed the badge onto the table and held him firm.

"No!" he yelled. "That's not mine! I was set up! I would never..." he looked pleadingly from one member to the next, hoping one would side with him... but as was expected... they simply whispered amongst themselves and shook their heads. Quiet statements of "I knew it" and "We could all see that coming" was heard as Charles sat there, turning the badge over and over in his hand.

"You have violated our organization by funnelling information to the Harmonium... jeopardizing our very livelihoods". He nodded once to the guards and Taglish was dragged away screaming profanities and bravado. Once the room returned to the usual quiet, each of the members looked at each other awaiting the next step. A seat had become vacant and a territory had become unwatched. Ripe for the pickings should no contingency plan be in place... but Charles was known for contingency plans.

"We were alerted to his treachery by an ally to our cause. A Dustman who happened across the information when a soul passed her by during her duties. An investigation held by her found all that was required to show his guilt. Even now... as we discuss his demise... her lifeless workers move throughout his territory ensuring other... agents... under his employ are destroyed. Once their work is completed, that territory will be considered cleansed of betrayal. Under Syndicate law, she has first rights of territory... first rights of vote."

He looked between those gathered and then nodded to the guards again. One opened the door and in walked a short slight woman. Charles invited her to stand before the table, to stand before those gathered. Some chuckled at her, while others appraised her.

"Annia Kendt... Dustman and enchanter. The territory your creatures scour has become open to you to claim. They include the crypts and catacombs as you're no doubt aware. Please... explain to our esteemed members why they should allow you claim this open seat... let alone why they should allow you to live"

He sipped his drink and awaited her reply.
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

Annia entered the room and glided rather than walked before the table her gaze surveyed all sitting there and lingered slightly on the struggling Taglish. One would expect her gaze to be vindictive or perhaps triumphant as it fell on the doomed man, it was neither for both would display the sign of human feeling all that she offered was a blank uncaring stare as if she looked straight through the man and indeed all the others present she said nothing allowing a few moments silence to linger in the room before she spoke. Her voice was calm and level her manner crisp icy and polite She seemed not to fear the intimidating audience indeed she barely seemed to notice them.

"It is a fair question of course, the twelve of you in this room could easily have me disappear never to be found."

There is a feint smile on her lips as she admits her own precarious situation however her tone of voice does not make her sound like she harbors any particular worry

"You will however need someone to fill the vacant seat, and were I to do so you would know that undersigil's dead would stay for the most part safely in their graves they would not wander onto anyone's territory I come with all the expertise of my faction on such things. Speaking of my faction having a link to them will make things easier when you, nay when we wish to exert our influence on the surface and that is our goal is it not there is only so much jink here that we can fill our coffers with. A partnership such as this could help us realize our ambitions."

She pauses for breath but does not give them too much thinking time, not yet.

"As for our ambitions my own skills as an enchanter have already helped me build a successful business on the surface, obviously I would be more than happy to contribute my fair share to the Syndicate's coffers. I unlike my predecessor would not forget that we are all here for mutual not just personal gain."

"It is on the subject of mu predecessor that I would like to make one final request one for mercy."

She pauses now letting the words sink in and the astounded gasps make their way around the table. If Taglish harbored any hopes of escaping with his life however they are dashed as she turns her cold stare upon him

"He has sinned against you his friends."

The final word spoken with a dry irony

"For that he must be punished there is no doubt I would like to ask that I may carry out his punishment and then when I am finished that i be allowed to bring him a step closer to true death, so he can continue to serve with his will bound to the task by magic, to allow him to make amends for his mistake and so he can become a visible warning for those who would repeat his folly."

She finishes and looks around the room a pleasant almost sweet smile on her lips.
*MirielKanan

Posted by *MirielKanan »

Emeraldin folds her hands on the table and looks at Annia.

"All for having him pay penance for his crime. I am obviously concerned with you being a Dustman. The Syndicate isn't a place for faction wars. I do see the benefits you would bring with you as a Dustman however I likewise see the disadvantage. My biggest concern is Undersigil and it's people as well as my people under my chair.

What are you going to do to ensure that your personal faction incursions do not spill into the Syndicate or into Undersigil?"
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

She turns to face the new speaker the ever present smile never quite leaving her lips and as Emeraldin looks Annia looks back.

"My faction as you can tell is aware of your presence here. They have little interest in Undersigil but would like to think that it is in the hands of a group with whom they could find common cause and mutual benefit. My being here would do a lot to reassure them that this is the case that you are a group who is interested in communication and cooperation to our own mutual benefits. Diplomacy is an option that appeals to us all surely? If they feel they have a small say in things then they would not see the need for any incursions as you put it."
*MirielKanan

Posted by *MirielKanan »

*Emeraldin gives a slight nod.*

"It's not your faction that I am worried about. I know the benefits and am open to them as I am sure many are. It is the Society of Sensation and Sign of One.

We are a family here.

Can you guarantee us that the squabble you have on the surface will not affect my family here?

That is my concern as I am sure it will be the concern of all the other sitting member of the Syndicate."
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

Her manner does not change nor does her expression

"Safety is of course a very real concern, though I can assure I personally have no feud withe the Sensates the Singers or indeed any other of the surface factions. My presence here personally would not cause them to move against you. It may be that some of the factions are at odds with mine, and it may be they worry about being outmaneuvered here. That may cause them to attempt to make a deal own with you, that is of course something that could well be turned to your advantage. I am sure the factions would take a much more generous bargaining stance if it means they deny an advantage to their rivals."
*MirielKanan

Posted by *MirielKanan »

*Emmy seems satisfied with this answer and sits back in her chair allowing others to speak.*
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Then it is time to hold the vote for the Dustman to takes the chair.
*MirielKanan

Posted by *MirielKanan »

*Emmy gives a yes vote.*
*Cenpuppie

Posted by *Cenpuppie »

*votes a yes*