((mercenary Placeholder))

*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

((Placeholder))
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Sully stepped over the debris inside the abandoned tavern. It was in a part of the clerks ward currently undergoing construction. Broken tables and chairs were strewn about, covered in a thick layer of dust. He walked over to a table that looked intact and set his crossbow on top of it and then grabbed a chair

“What a shithole…” was all he could mutter.

He looked about the room, dusted off his chair and sat down, his loaded crossbow resting on the table within reach. Whoever had sent him the note had some sort of opportunity for him. It had been enough to pique his interest. At the very least he could hear the offer. He could always walk away if not interested.

So he waited in the dim of the abandoned building for the next step.
*Baalthazor

Posted by *Baalthazor »

Turning the knob on the door and pushing it open made the hinges that still held it loosely in place, give off a sound that made Scrogg winch slightly.

He stepped inside the dump that at some point properly would have been a decent tavern, but now more than anything resembled a warzone. Chairs, broken tables and other assorted debris lay strewn about and the few rays of light that peaked in behind the boarded up windows, did nothing to properly illuminate the place.

When Scrogg had first recieved the anonymous note informing him of an "opportunity of his lifetime", he didn't know what he was most sceptical of; the note itself which smelled like a load of bullcrap, or the fact that he had actually recieved the note in the first place. People from the wild and ferocious tribes of the high north on his prime such as himself, wasent the usual recipients of eloquently drafted notes telling of good fortunes. Even when living in a place as diverse as Sigil.
But Scrogg had decided to investigate further, just in case the whole thing was legit.

Inside the beat up tavern Scrogg, with his massive axe firmly in hand, quickly scouted the joint. Even in the dim light, it didn't take him long to notice the sole person sitting at one of the battered tables. And it didn't take him much longer to notice the guy's rather impressive looking crossbow next to him, either. The guy didn't look overtly aggressive though, so Scrogg decided to have a closer look at him, if for nothing else then simply to ascertain where in the guy's skull to put his axe, if he decided to play cute.

Scrogg approached the guy while trying to discern whether he was being set up, or if perhaps this guy was here for the same reason he was...
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Sully heard the man enter the building yet remained where he was. He figured it was simply the author of the letter. When the individual with the big axe entered the room the only thought that entered his head was ‘Oh shit… I’m dead’. His hand instinctively twitched towards the crossbow but he didn’t attempt to pick it up. He put on his best smile and nodded to the man.

“I’m hoping that you and I are here for the same reason… something about a job. Sure hate to see what that axe tastes like.”
*Rayanne

Posted by *Rayanne »

From an adjacent alley, a hidden figure watches as first one, then another man enters the old tavern.
The figure is clad in a loose, dark-grey robe, leaving the exact shape of its body obscured.
The head itself is wrapped in dark fabric, revealing only a pair of feminine eyes. The skin around the eyes has been painted a dark colour similar to her outfit.
From a belt around her waist hangs two pouches on her right, and on her left, a small hand crossbow that looks less fit for war and more for hunting rodents or small birds.

Waiting a few moments, she follows, silently pushing the door open and entering the tavern with quiet steps.
Stepping into view of the two men already present, she acknowledges each man with a satisfied nod before leaning against a nearby pillar, crossing her arms and adopting a posture of someone patiently waiting.
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

((a side post to highlight his 'application' to join the group. Sully had been hired by an unknown entity to take out a despicable man within the city of Sigil. While it was a well-paying job, Sully wouldnÂ’t know it was also a trial to gauge the manÂ’s worth for a group being assembled to work against harder to hit targets that needed removal. Shortly afterwards is when he received the invitation to meet. In short, this is how it played out.))

His target left the house at Nine oÂ’clock, same time as he did every night. As always, he was accompanied by two armed guards. A large human, known for being sadistic and another human just there for the work; a professional guard there for the pay. His target was a Loan Shark known for being exceptionally cruel to those who refused to payÂ… and usually their families as well.

It was raining in the Cage that particular night, the dirty rain falling heavy on the ledge where Sully had set up to keep watch. As planned, the target left the building and turned left, heading down the street. Sully watched through the scope attached to his repeater crossbow, took aim and let fire a single bolt. It hit his target in the intended spot; Right leg, through the rear of the knee, making it impossible for the man to run. He let out a cry and dropped to the ground.

His two guards spun around, drawing weapons while scanning for the assailant. It didnÂ’t take long for them to find him. A lone sniper on a window ledge. Before they had a chance to react, the sniper vanished into darkness, only to suddenly reappear mere yards from them on the street. The Larger of the two guards, the one who was sadistic and cruel, ran at the Sniper. Sully, while striding quickly towards the trio, lifted his repeater in one hand (his other hand in the process of taking out an odd looking black bolt) and let loose two bolts in rapid succession. Both found their immediate target with deadly accuracy. One hit the large man in the chest, the second right through the left eye. He fell to the ground mid-step, his blade clanging over the cobbles. Before the second guard could react, the more professional one, Sully pointed his repeater at him, a single bolt slightly protruding from the end of it.

“I think this might be a good night for you to go home early and treat your woman to a night out” was all he said to the man, never taking his eyes off his target still writhing on the ground. The guard paused, looked at his employer then back at Sully. He nodded once in both respect and appreciation, sheathed his blade and walked away into the rainy street. As the man walked away, Sully loaded the odd looking bolt into the repeater. The entire time, the prone man begged for his life.

“Wait! You don’t have to do this! Look… what are they paying you? I’ll pay you double that… no… triple!” he squealed as he held out a handful of platinum discs. Sully, without any noticeable pause in movement or action simply pointed the crossbow at him and pulled the trigger. The man gasped suddenly at the impact of the bolt and died. Sully reached down and pulled the bolt from the corpse and began walking away, leaving the discs to lay scattered in the puddle the man lay sprawled out in. As he walked away he removed the, now filled, soul prism from the bolt and placed it onto a pouch to be handed over to his employer.

A couple of minutes later the Harmonium came upon the scene. It was very clear it was no robbery as the man carried enough wealth to set up a common man for life. So they simply carted up the evidence after a very short investigation of the scene and sent the body to the morgue. A clean hit like this, against a man like that, was not unexpected and, therefore, rarely worth solving. No point in putting any real effort into sorting it out.
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Rayanne,Feb 22 2017 wrote: From an adjacent alley, a hidden figure watches as first one, then another man enters the old tavern.
The figure is clad in a loose, dark-grey robe, leaving the exact shape of its body obscured.
The head itself is wrapped in dark fabric, revealing only a pair of feminine eyes. The skin around the eyes has been painted a dark colour similar to her outfit.
From a belt around her waist hangs two pouches on her right, and on her left, a small hand crossbow that looks less fit for war and more for hunting rodents or small birds.

Waiting a few moments, she follows, silently pushing the door open and entering the tavern with quiet steps.
Stepping into view of the two men already present, she acknowledges each man with a satisfied nod before leaning against a nearby pillar, crossing her arms and adopting a posture of someone patiently waiting.
Sully would give her the once over with the look of ‘man, this just keeps getting more and more messed up’ on his face. He then managed a smile before speaking.

“So… which one of you are here to offer me a deal or am I to expect more surprises to walk through that door, first?”
*DaftyXIII

Posted by *DaftyXIII »

Sym overheard the conversation before he walked through the door with a smug look upon his face looking to "the Sniper" before talking

"who in this pit of a place that others call home believe that Corruption is inevitable by the laws that we call the nature of things, and fighting this law is a pointless and eternal war?"

He places his hand on the hilt of his blade, in case the situation goes south before carrying on talking

"The only way to combat this war is to become the enemy effectively is by fighting fire with fire. Throw your so called Honor aside if you have any as they the enemy of the law have none. This is a war that cannot be won within the laws that bind us but perhaps a war that can be won through proxy of these law keepers."

The Jann Sym raised his voice slightly to get the full attention of those around him

"I don't have a job for you"

Sym lowers his voice once more to a softer tone

"but simply a offer to make coin in doing what you love and work for the law, without the shackles that bind the Harmonium, I'm gathering like minded individuals and inviting them to a meeting to discuss this idea further."

Sym stares the others down with a more serious look upon him than of what he entered with

"oh, and I'm Sym if anyone cared.. Once a member of the Clergy of Tyr, now simply a blade for hire. Now what say you all to my offer?"

((OOC : Figured I'd get this show on the road, mind you I have no intentions of taking over this group, tho im not objected to it. I'm just to get to the point.. also I know its a bit odd of a Jann to be a worshiper of Tyr once but hear me out, his backstory will explain a lot once reviled))
*Rayanne

Posted by *Rayanne »

"You know me, Sym..." The woman lowers the veil covering her lower face and uses a foot to push herself off the pillar she was leaning against. "... I'm in it for the coin and the challenge. But mostly the coin."
She turns to the other two men, giving them each them a slight bow and a polite smile as she introduces herself, "Seleya of Sekthet, former..." She gestures at Sym. "...associate of our cleric-turned-sellsword here. I am looking forward to a fruitful companionship with you gentlemen. Assuming that you're interested in our proposal, of course. If not... " She takes a step back, once more idly leaning towards the pillar behind her. "... I would not advice to go tell anyone else of what you heard here today."
*Baalthazor

Posted by *Baalthazor »

Having gone from a lone encounter in a musty, beat up tavern to what appears to be a confirmation of the note he had recieved a couple of days earlier, Scrogg let his axe slide down his side, resting the tip of it against the floor while he listened to the proposal.

When the two guys, or rather the guy and the pair of floating eyeballs in a hood which had now shown itself to be a female, had said their piece, Scrogg had a difficult time concealing a big toothy grin. A couple of sellswords with a chip on their shoulders and an axe to grind plus jink to spend for services rendered, played perfectly into his own grand design.
Oh, there was no doubt they themselves had a hidden agenda, but that was the norm around these parts, not the exception. And Scrogg had people he needed to disappear and a need for good jink in preparation for his own plans, both of which played wonderfully into this "proposal" of theirs.

But what of the guy with the crossbow? Scrogg had no aversion to neither violence nor killing for profit, but that guy looked like a pro at the latter. What was his take on this?

Scrogg turned his head towards the guy still sitting at the table and nodded slightly in his direction.

<What's your vote on this?>