Weary Spirit Infirmary

*Rainbow Prism

Posted by *Rainbow Prism »

Greetings.

Some threads about the place actually made me thinking. We have certain custom changes that might have deviated from canon lore, so maybe I should go into safe zone and ask for IC information...

Did the quality of Weary Spirit Infirmary get better? Would my characters know something that would make them go there?
*Agony_Aunt

Posted by *Agony_Aunt »

There has been a bit of discussion on the DM boards about this recently, and i'm not up to date on current events there.

However, a year or two back a player took over running it whose character was really interested in helping people there (they also were responsible for creating the interior area for it - so in a way it was like a prototype player house, erm, business).

As for official word on the current state, ill leave it to others to say.
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

Mr_Otyugh,Nov 17 2014 wrote:
In the Cage - A Guide to Sigil wrote:A sick cutter or busted-up basher has few choices if he wants to get better: He can hole up in his kip and hope the powers repair him, or he can cough up some jink and hire himself a healer. Otherwise, he can lie down in the street and die, or head to the Weary Spirit Infirmary, the Hive's free hospital. Both these last choices are poor; either way, the basher's dead, but he'll probably suffer a lot less in the street.

It's brick walls encrusted with dirt, its windows barred with iron rods as thick as a man's arm, the Weary Spirit looks like a prison - which ain't too far from the truth. Not surprisingly, the Weary Spirit has difficulty attracting patients, so hot meals and free treatments are used to lure the unwary. The Honorable Kluppin Livesay, the judge at the Hive's central court, also sentences criminals to the Weary Spirit for "rehabilitation"; the staff attempts to convert them into productive members of society with skull drills, brain needles, and shock therapy (for the hard cases).

Shunning magical healing in favor of experimental surgery, the infirmary staff's got the same relationship with its patients as cats have with mice. Playing with their prey before killing it lessens their inhibitions. The staff is brutal, sloppy, and indifferent to pain (whether their own or someone else's). If a patient dies on the table, no matter: there're plenty more in the waiting room. Treatments include bleeding, amputation, and bone-straightening, the latter a cure-all prescribed by Ridnir Tetch, the man in charge, for everything from fevers to intestinal upset.

It's doubtful that a Bleaker would be anyone's first choice for a healer. After all, a basher who believes the secret of the multiverse to be that there is no secret, that the madness that comes with complete acceptance of this meaningful meaninglessness is the meaning inherent in it - well, he's not the kind of person you want tinkering your innards.

Ridnir Tetch (Pl/male human/P9/Bleak Cabal/NE) not only qualifies as a certified innards tinkerer, he's also a Bleaker through and through. As chief of the Weary Spirit Infirmary, he oversees treatment for dozens of ailing sods every month. And as far as anyone knows, he's never lost a moment's sleep over any of them. Empathize with a mugging victim? Shed a tear for a dying old man? Not Tetch.

Like a mean little kid who pulls the wings off flies just to watch them flop, Tetch loves to prod, singe, impale, carve, and crush his patients just to see what happens. If they get better, that's fine. If they don't, that's fine, too. Tetch always has some new techniques to try. And he has plenty of flies.

Because his parents were killed by an incompetent cleric when he was a boy, Tetch has no use for magical healing. He believes that all disorders can be corrected by manipulating the body. It's just a matter of figuring out which part to cut off or stretch, or where to drill the holes. Rumor has it that Tetch is financed by wealthy Takers from the Clerk's Ward, who hope to profit from any medical breakthroughs he happens to stumble upon.

Tetch stands nearly 7 feet tall, as thin as a straw, with a mop of greasy blonde hair and eyes like black peas. He wears a blood-stained smock that he refuses to clean; he considers the grime to symbolize his years of experience. He speaks in a whisper, and unless he's trying to coax a reluctant patient into an examination room, he never smiles.
Well that's the official lore, but the in game has changed drastically. It was purchased by an Ilmater priestess whose name I can't remember right off the bat. Ceremorph might remember more about that, but the area as far as I remember was a player submission or some such? Then the ownership was passed on and I believe drider named "Faer'dril Sussun'velve" is its current owner/caretaker and Khari is something similar.

Technically speaking while it was 'owned' by a Bleaker, it does not appear to be affiliated with the Bleaker faction though... just one psycopath. Infact it might just have had more ties to the Takers than the Bleakers.

*edit* Abby Winters was the next owner: http://z13.invisionfree.com/nwn2planesc ... topic=5175 so Cadence while correct in the lore, had perhaps also missed that this piece of lore had evolved a long time ago already.
*Rainbow Prism

Ah, good to know beforehand that the plaque IG is showing old information.

Thanks.
*Ceremorph

Posted by *Ceremorph »

What happenned was when I built the current Hive ward, I put that weary spirit "lore talker" there and Abby the Ilmatari cleric had a light bulb go off over her head.

The one thing that made us agree with adding this, however, is that it was a canon location, even though Abby planned to use it as a base of operations. It didn't hurt that she did a fantastic job on it either...
*DarkArc

Posted by *DarkArc »

Khari had been working at the Weary for a number of months now, seeing all manner of volunteers coming and going through her tenure. She'd stumbled into the role of the infirmary's caretaker, which wasn't exactly her choice to begin with. Still, she knew if she quit, the place would go into disrepair or worse.

Occasionally, Khari would post notices on the kitchen side as announcements.
wrote: I'll need one of you to stand guard in the cupboard. We've had a rash of incidents where someone's been playing pranks.

Take a taste of the sugar before you use it in anything to ensure it is free of salt. I think that Xaos is responsible.

And I would appreciate it if someone would stop drawing faces on the eggs.

Thanks.
*Rainbow Prism

Another question.

So the owner of this place is PC instead of NPC. In addition to that, it actually tends to people without killing them.

Does that mean that sponsoring that establishment by Fated went poof? If so, was that takeover known by Fated and was there any struggle on this? I would like to know IC version of this and how much one can learn.
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

On my opinion it's up to Fated PCs to decide under assumption it's still going, but can be revoked by fated.
*Rainbow Prism

But do player PCs actually have that authority?
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

Yes, because watching npcs do everything is dull and only way pcs can get ranks is by doing something.