A Challenge For The Godsmen

*MimiFearthegn

Posted by *MimiFearthegn »

A tall black-winged figure stalked into the Foundry, demanding to speak to someone who could "answer for this order" in regards to a challenge from his master.

Word has it that Factor Kala Ta'Kan and Factotum Aetherfall received the visitor, who referred to himself as "Kerid." He asked that the Godsmen create a breastplate worthy of a god, of a metal impenetrable to all weapons, even adamantine; it must also protect against the tricks of "shades and illusion" and be safe against both the frosts of baator and the fires of the abyss.
*Rainrix

Posted by *Rainrix »

Later that same cycle Rainrix sat at a desk in his cluttered inn room, he had felt a little uncomfortable with his nagging paranoia when they accepted the challenge, sure it sounds like this armour is being used to fight fiends and the such, but what are the chances it will be used against good people too..? He pushed his worries to the back of his mind, glancing over some quickly scrawled notes of his. He had only just been promoted to Factotum when this came up, and it seemed this would be as good a task as any to prove his worth as a crafter.

Sure he had plenty of resources handy, but what this person asked for sounded beyond what any materials he had were capable of. Pushing the limits of his armour crafting knowledge to the edge. Plus the potential enchantments required on top of that would be pushing the limits of his enchanting knowledge too...

He sighed and shook his head, pulling out an enchanted lens to aid him read faster he pulled out a few books, most of them were about rare metals and combining them with others, a couple of books were about gems and rare gemstones instead.

His rat familiar Ikit sat on the desk and watched Rainrix as he flicked quickly through the books and then squeaked at him. Rainrix glances to the rat a moment and shrugged.

"Eh... There's always more to learn Ikit. There's still so much I don't know... And I need to do my best in this project. Prove how capable I am."

The rat squeaked once more and then scurried to the other side of the desk, biting in to and dragging a cheese sandwich across until it's sat in front of Rainrix. After stealing a little cheese for themselves Ikit squeaked once more and hopped off the desk, running under the nearby bed to sleep. Rainrix snickered and shrugged, picking up the sandwich and biting in to it. This was going to be a long night of research he thought to himself as he glanced back at a magic bag that contained many more books...
*Rainrix

Posted by *Rainrix »

A few cycles later Rainrix stood in the foundry, in front of him stood a training dummy wearing an adamantine breastplate. To his right was a fairly burly looking half orc... A namer of the Godsmen who he had asked for help.

"Now... This is to test regular adamantine armour's protective abilities against adamantine weaponry..."

He pulled a finely crafted metalline longsword from his pack, concentrating on it until the blade shifted in to a form comprised of adamantine. Handing the blade carefully to the half orc he nodded to them.

"Take a few of your most powerful whacks against the breastplate with this, logic dictates that well... Adamantine should help against adamantine... At least up until a point anyway. I just want to see how well it may fare."

The half orc namer nodded as he accepted the blade, and stood before the training dummy. Swinging and landing powerful blows against the breastplate with loud clanging noises. Rainrix walked over to a nearby table and glanced through his notebook, flicking through page after page of messy notes and sketches until he finds what he was looking for. Over the last few days he had been researching for alternate metals. Rare even by Sigil's standard... A few names in myths stood out. 'Fadesteel' was one... Rumored to be a variant of adamantine imbued with the very nature of the plane of shadows. The second was 'Godsteel' or Dwarven Blackrock... Supposedly even tougher than adamantine itself... But rumored to be incredibly rare and only found in one place, the mountains of the dwarven gods themselves. He grumbled a little as he thought these two options over... For all he knew they may turn out to be dead ends like other mythical materials he had read about. It was very hard working out which myths were based on fact, and which were pure works of fiction. The only other option he could currently think of was combining adamantine with the self repairing properties of aurorum. Though he was worried the mix may compromise the toughness of the adamantine itself. Sure if it could stay as tough as adamantine yet slowly mend any dents and scratches that would be extremely handy, as it could slowly repair damage even caused by other adamantine weapons. The whole reason for the current test he was performing was to see how badly strong blows from adamantine weapons would actually damage the breastplate...

"Factotum!?"

Rainrix jumped up in a startle, he had drifted off in his own thoughts and lost track of everything else.

"Eh!? Ah... Heh good work Namer! Thanks for your help."

Rainrix sighed and nodded to the half orc, taking the longsword back from him and walking over to inspect the breastplate on the training dummy. Thinking to himself that at least he has options... For now anyway.

(( OOC Note, been looking up all kinds of different materials from D&D, problem is a lot of the searching turns up homebrew stuff or third party things, and I'm pretty certain they don't count. Hence the whole 'Looking in to myths and stories' instead of claiming these things are actual fact. Up to DM's / EM's what is actually real ;) ))
*MimiFearthegn

//Return OOC Note - a quick google gives me no information on either of the metals you mentioned, but I am open to whichever option you pursue. Links to information would be appreciated, though! :)
*edmaster44

Posted by *edmaster44 »

*Rainrix

Posted by *Rainrix »

// I found it herehttp://www.ekkaia.org/rpg/dnd/ps/planarmetals.pdf . Though currently it seems like the option being followed is a combination of Adamantine / Aurorum. Still trying to look up information on that... Sounds like smelting down old adamantine suits isn't an option as different places give vague answers on that. One place saying it should melt around 3000 degrees celsius whilst another saying you need a furnace of over 8300 degrees celsius to melt adamantine... Just for comparison the surface of the sun is around 5500 degrees celsius. Whilst I guess unworked pure adamantine would require less..? Hah sorry I'm not going for 'Magic!' option and looking too much in to this... Hope that's not too annoying ;)

And thanks Edmaster too, that'll be helpful for future ideas.
*MimiFearthegn

One helpful fellow Godsmen suggested that if the fires of elemental fire didn't melt down the adamantine, perhaps an energy source closer to the quasi-elemental plane of Radiance might do.
*Rainrix

Posted by *Rainrix »

Rainrix practically facepalmed when this option was brought up with him. His face going a shade of red with embarrassment as he realised he was still thinking like a clueless.

"I... Uh... Thank you for that suggestion. That will no doubt help this project a lot."

Later he gathered as many books on the Quasielemental plane of Radiance. Trying to figure out as much as he possibly can about the plane, locations of note, and dangers. One thing of note was that there would possibly be areas with no air... Though that may be what will also make it possible to smelt and forge the adamanatine at such high temperatures. Mixing with aurorum though would be tricky as it has a more general melting point... He figured he may have to use some elemental heat protection spells on the molten metals during the combining process also...

"Ugh... This is crazy. If this could be done surely someone would have done it already!?"

He muttered to himself and scribbled out one of many ideas he had. Feeling uncertain if he can even produce such a metal, but not wanting to fail his first task as Factotum. Soon he'll have to arrange a trip to that plane... And he really didn't want to waste any time as Kala still had work to do on the suit after he's finished forging it.
*Rainrix

Posted by *Rainrix »

After much preparation and research Rainrix was ready to head to the quasielemental plane of radiance. He had specially modified a protective suit that he had tested in the plane of fire previously. Also he wore a visor that would provide air if needed and could darken to the point of pitch black to protect his eyes from bright lights. The bright white protective suit looked a little barmy in Rainrix's opinion, but it would stop him from being cooked. On its back were two folded highly polished and reflective wings. From what he had read, some ships there use reflective surfaces as sails, and there was the potential for subjective gravity too. Figuring as much as he'd hate it, he could use the same theory in this design to help travel faster...

He had asked around the foundry for a few volunteers to go with him, making them fully aware of all the environmental hazards they may face and giving then tips and if needed the occasional helping hand for them to get prepared too.

All the materials were ready, he had stripped down all the Adamantine armour he had, ready to be smelted. Also he had plenty of Aurorum handy too. He hoped he had enough Adamantine to conduct the experiments.

He had an idea for a location to potentially get to the plane from, unless any other Godsmen had a much better idea. One line of research stated there was a place in the Outlands named 'Manticore's Breach' that could have a portal to the plane. And in the plane itself was a city named 'The Kingdom of the Blind' which would be as good a place as any to start looking.

Finally all was prepared. He had all his equipment, resources, a general idea of directions, and hopefully a few Godsmen just to assist him.

// Sources I found for this are:
https://spelljoined.obsidianportal.com/ ... tal-planes
http://www.rilmani.org/timaresh/Quasiel ... f_Radiance

Not sure if this is meant to be an event with other players or not, but I imagine it's a Godsman thing so Rainrix would head there with a few other Godsmen to help him. Unless you want other things to happen..? >_>
*MimiFearthegn

//If you want to get together other PCs to do an in game expedition, I would be up for running it (somewhere in the range of 3-6 people would be nice). If you'd like to continue on the forums here, I'm ok with that too.