Odd Shards

*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

The vampire's demeanour seems to shift in a second and suddenly and she is cold business like and to the point.

"Yes you may have access to the crypts Factor. Under my supervision of course. And you are correct I will want something from you in return."

She doesn't play games and make Kala wait, or ask what it may be.

"You like I am a priest judging by the magic you employ. I'd like to know something of your faith, a secret you would not normally divulge to outsiders."

She does' elaborate further and it maybe that she has no specific secret in mind. Those who knew a little of the deity she followed may understand the odd request.

"Make it worth my while."
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

"You know what you are going to ask me for."

The vampire's fingers touch at the emblem of a hand holding an eye that serves as her unholy symbol.

"I will trade a secret for a secret. Tell me of this source you revere. A dark not known to most."
*Hydra

Posted by *Hydra »

Kala nodded again, approaching the vampire a bit closer to whisper.

"- The issue is that the Source in itself doesn't have many secrets... It imbues everything in the multiverse, including death. Yet its greatest secret is its exact nature."

She took a deep inspiration speaking to the red haired women with a tone of confidence, hinting that she was about to reveal something.

"- Not so long ago, a powerful Baatezu found a mean to cheat its way to godhood by impersonating gods and sustaining on believers' faith. Yet the process was slow as it required the very slow indoctrination of each believer, but the creature had time. It took it a few centuries to set the perfect setting for his plan on a remote prime world. He bred an entire population to worship him under different masks, to maintain the illusion of choice and created a society where no doubt was possible and those who started to seek the truth were bound to disappear sooner or later. As people died, he gathered their souls and trapped them in jars making them believe they were resting in their god's domain. This is where he practiced and tried to feed on their faith. How do you think this experiment went ?"
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

"Not knowing I could never say for sure. But let us puzzle this out logically; we have a plan that involves angering legitimate deities and so needs to be concealed. It must be hidden from its.... victims? Let's call them victims shall we? So they can continue into being fooled by it, and yet you know of it. And if you know of it at least one or two others will know of it."

The vampire considers for a moment.

"Badly. I would say it went badly were I to venture a guess."
*Hydra

Posted by *Hydra »

Kala nodded faintly.

"I was one of these victims and I managed to escape along with a few others. However, when I hunted down the create to confront it. The devil was a powerful creature imbued by the power of the souls of thousands of believers. Yet this fiend wasn't a god and it was eventually put down and annihilated, without the help of an army of crusaders, nor the might of the gods.

The devil couldn't understand that while his believers served him well, they reigned with an iron fist over an even larger group of people and that this situation was possibly dangerous. Oppression is natural for devils and as these people prayed the "gods" diligently as well, he never noticed when they started to create their own mythos about their "old gods" begin imprisoned and unjustly used as tools of oppression by the ruling class...

She half-smiled.

"All of this finally ended up in a revolution the creature couldn't stop, for it had to reveal itself and this is where I come to the point. This small deviation in the interpretation of faith changed everything and it does tell us a lot about how the Source grants its power to the gods. The fiend made other Beleive in its lies, but as a rational and orderly creature it also knew all of this was a lie and couldn't believe itself as a god."

The Godswoman then stared at Emelia in silence.
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

"Interesting."

The vampire beings to slowly stroll towards the large iron doors that lead to the deep crypts.

"Based upon that do you think a less logical creature one more capable of self delusion would succeed where the Baatezu failed?"

Emila takes a torch from the wall presumably for Kala's benefit, and with a loud scrapping noise the doors open an icy wind engulfs them and nearly snuffs out the torch flame and before them the utter impenetrable blackness of the deep crypts await.

"Tread only where I tread and do not touch anything."
*Hydra

Posted by *Hydra »

"- No, the baatezu only failed because he wasn't ambitious enough... one has to shape the truth, not weave a web of lies."

Kala then followed behind her guide.
*Sunshine

Posted by *Sunshine »

Descending the stairs to the lower crypts darkness surrounds them, the torch Emila too barely able to hold it at bay.

The air is cold and moist, smelling of mold and embalming fluid sodden breezes coming from nowhere tugging on clothes and making the fie dance and there are things moving in the shadows- some of those might be even shadows as well.

Some wear the robes and symbols of dustme, some undead do not and while Emila is protected by her status and the Death Truce Kala feels their senses on her- predatory and silent, some considering her food, some an annoying memory of what they lost, others somebody who might join them soon.

There are sacophagi and coffins, the walls tombstone upon tombstone, the floor they walk graves after graves.

A hooded humanoid approaches them, the face invisible behind soiled bandages and rotting cloth, the hands wrapped in stripes of badly cured skin and hides. There are maggots and worms crawling beneath those bandages and the stench of death and decay is thick around it.

"Initiate...." the thing bows before Emila then turns its featureless 'face' towards Kala "...and visitor. What purpose brings you to this tunnels, crypts and vaults?"
*Hydra

Posted by *Hydra »

Kala was technically surrounded by enemies, even if she had a bit of trust for the other factor she remained on her guard, holding her holy symbol, before she spoke.

"I'm here to visit Hragunt-Twisted-Leg."
*Sunshine

Posted by *Sunshine »

"Hragunt-Twisted-Leg was a great warrior and sage.

He lived a long life and enjoys a peaceful death . We know his crypt but noone has entered there for a hundred years. All this centuries he sits on his chair and waits- noone knows for whom or for what.

Something still remains, something that prevents him from finding true death. Many of us tried to find out what it is, all of us failed.

I can show you to his crypt but I cannot promise he will speak to you."