Harbinger House Rp Thread

*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

Maelfina seems far more intrigued than concerned by this ominous proclamation.

"She does hmm? Tha's mighty innerestin ta me, thanks fer lettin me know. Any triggers I shoul' be aware o' wha'd cause 'em ta become belligeren'? Got any chan' on why they be in here in tha' firs' place?"
*Cadence

Posted by *Cadence »

He glances about furtively, his voice hushed. "Maybe the warden wanted you to approach her like a blank slate. You'll see why she's in here soon enough. It might not be in one or even two visits, but you'll catch on to it if you're around here long enough. Just be careful, there are no triggers that we know of that cause her to ... be the way she is. It's best to keep the conversation light, I imagine and gently coax out any information rather than forcing the issue."

With that, he ushers Maelfina towards the hallway which features two heavily armored guards (it is likely that inmate 154 is on constant watch). Of note, no magical auras emanate from their armor or weapons as was the case for some of the guards in the less-secure cells where the Slaad was kept.
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

Shrugging and accepting the advice of the wary guard, Factotum Sixthfinger proceeds down the hall to the cell of inmate 154. Upon reaching the cell she takes a look in through whatever opening might be present, looking first to locate the inmate before she enters (to avoid being potentially ambushed). After determining that entry would be safeish, she orders the door opened and strides in, taking a long moment to observe and evaluate the inmate's appearance, demeanor etc.

"'Lo there." She offers as she continues to take a measure of this tantalizingly mysterious subject.
*Cadence

Posted by *Cadence »

The cell is large, dome-shaped and padded on all contours. Unlike the cells upstairs, this one has no bars - only walls. The door opens outward (as all doors in the asylum do - designed so that the inmates don't barricade themselves in) and features a square window at face-height. for the guards to look in or Vuna to look out. There is a small, unremarkable mattress off to one side of the room while an immobile chair and desk that seem to sprout out of the ground take up another. At the center of the room on the floor was a disc-shaped slab of black marble with a radius of almost 5 feet. It was strikingly out -of-place. It wasn't the most impressive thing about the room, though - that was its remarkable silence. The silence allowed Maelfina to hear her heart beating gently after speaking.

A medium-height human woman with dark brown hair and dark brown eyes looks up from the chair. She seemed to be writing in journal. She must be in her late 20s or early 30s. Her movements were slow and deliberate. Light olive skin of a creamy complexion made her pleasing to look at, even though most of her skin was covered with the unremarkable brown linen of the prisoner scrubs. She squinted slightly.

"..Oh, hello." Her voice was slightly scratchy with an overtone of gentleness and an undertone of curiosity. "Can I help you?"She cants her head inquisitively.
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

Maelfina gave Vuna a charming grin, leaning against the padded wall of the cell, her tail flicking from side to side like that of an intrigued cat.

"Tha' remains ta be seen lass. Tha' tag's Maelfina, an' 'm a factotum wit tha Godsmen wha' has more'n a passin curiosity wit this place an' those wha' call it home."

She gave a small chuckle.

"Truth be told lass, I dunnae know a damned bit 'bout ye, or why ye be in here. Care ta tell me a bit 'bout yerself? Or I coul' tell ye a bit more 'bout meself, 's up ta ye really."
*Cadence

Posted by *Cadence »

She nods, as if understanding, then immediately proceeds to handcuff herself with a pair of manacles that are padded on the outside as well as inside (likely to prevent them from being used as a makeshift chiv).

"Nice to meet you Maelfina, I'm Vuna." She tilts her head, unsure as to how to proceed. "The Believer's of the Source think that I have some great potential to become a power one day with my magical inclinations."

Her demeanor is warm as well as a bit tired - as if she just went through an ordeal that was physically or mentally harrowing.

"I'm glad you're not one of the experimenters. T-they don't treat me poorly or anything, it's just that I'd rather not have to use my talents. They tire me and make me sleepy. Then I dream"

Vuna is (seemingly) surprisingly forthcoming about the question.
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

Her brow furrowed briefly at the mention of experimenters, but relaxes slightly as she better explains the situation.

"Aye, frem wha' I hear ye got some pretty innerestin gifts when it comes ta magic an' such. If ye dunnae mind me askin, why are ye in here, an' nay walkin 'bout free in tha Great Foundry?"

She asks the last question, not in an effort to shame her or remind her of her place, but out of genuine curiosity, as she was told next to nothing about her.
*Cadence

Posted by *Cadence »

"My dreams.. th-they're too real." She shifts uncomfortably, her body language becoming slightly agitated. "I can't control them, not yet." Her face is flushed for some reason though it's unclear whether this is out of embarrassment or anger or something else altogether.

"They're keeping me in here until my dreams are my own." Her barely-audible breaths emerge raggedly. "Until they don't haunt me."

Maelfina can choose to continue questioning the seemingly perturbed woman and note what happens, or delay this thread of inquiry and perhaps talk about something else or return at a later time.
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

Maelfina nods, plopping onto the padded ground and sitting cross-legged.

"Dreams eh? Cannae say I be knowin 'xactly wha' ye be goin through, but I 'ave a fair notion. Ain' tae fond o' dreamin either ye see...try ta be as active as I can so I git more o' tha' dreamless sleep ye get frem exhaustion, but sometimes it sneaks up on ye."

Her nose wrinkles and her grin twitches.

"Born in tha Abyss ye see, lived there almos' two-hunnered years, so ye kin imagine tha' I got memories wha' dunnae need tha nigh'time imagination o' dreams ta enhance 'em. Tha birthday flayins, tha errand runs inta tha Viper Fores', tha patrons...I've shut 'em all up in little cages inside me head. One 'angs frem tha branch o' a tree wha' I 'ad a good picnic under once, fer example. Keeps 'em in line fer tha' mos' part...but sometimes somethin slips through tha bars fer a night."

She rubs the back of her neck and clicks her tongue.

"Well, we dunnae 'ave ta talk 'bout yer dreams if ye dunnae wan', sometimes folks find it helpful ta face their demons, give 'em names and dress 'em up fine, but sometimes it aint somethin tha' kin be done righ' away."
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

Maelfina indeed notices the shift in demeanor, being a practiced observer of people and duplicity. She simply grins slightly and gives the following reply:

"Oh dunnae get tha impression tha' I cage 'em cause I cannae control 'em. Nah, I cage 'em cause it be a hassle ta feed 'em constantly, an' I got better shyte ta do. So I walk 'em on a leash frem time ta time, feed 'em when it suits me purposes."

She tilts her head, examining the woman closely with a smile that both invites confidence and gives the impression that she is already in on some secret of hers. (Can include Bluff and Dip rolls later when I am in front of her Char sheet again)

"Tha question remains, in me mind anyhow, whether ye truly cannae control yer powers, or if ye simply claimed such so ye coul' win me confidence an' sympathy. If tha former be true, then ye shoul' know tha' I aint tryin ta manipulate ye through fanciful tales...rather I be lookin ta see if me experiences kin help ye."

"If tha latter be true, then I aint tha sort ta take offense a' tha' sorta thing. Rather, I get ta wonderin wha' greater purpose ye strive fer, wha' ye woul' use yer gifts fer if free ta do so."