New Policy ?

*Hydra

Posted by *Hydra »

Unless Kala was stoped, she made an announcement at the foundry.

wrote: We all know that growing our potential is our prime goal, but helping others doing it as well.

Thus, we ask all the Believers of the source  that practice the arts of enchanting and forging should grant the courtesy of a discount to all their fellow Believers as soon as they present a legitimate badge. Members of others factions and other clients should be priced normally. Former known Beleivers of the source that left the faction for any reason shouldn't be allowed to do business with us. Let us discuss.

Factor Ta'Kan.
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

Word of the proposal makes its way around The Foundry and a council of Factors is called. It takes place eight hours after peak. As Kala enters The Foundry she would be surprised at the silence. The hammers do not sing, and the forges grow silent. Where as before there was the light and heat of the forge now there is ash, and the shadows cast by the embers. Around a large table sit roughly half a dozen creatures from all manner of planes. Some of them Kala recognizes, some of them she does not. Her wish to discuss things has been heard. She has the Factions attention.
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

At the table sits an older human who simply refers to himself as The Shepard or simply... Shepard. A balding head and beard as grey as cooled ash. Generally he is seen wearing his signature apron and leather greaves while guiding those under him in the foundry but now he is dressed, plain clothes covering forgotten scars and burns from years of work at the forges. He is known as a practical man but also impatient and chaotic. A tall glass of cool, clear water is all that sits in front of him.

He glances at the others then at Kala... saying little but polite chat to those near him.
*Hydra

Posted by *Hydra »

((Sorry for the wall of text I tried to keep it short...))

The paper, it was a foolish move, she never expected that a simple note could provoke such a reaction. She was anxious now, as she never liked to assume the position of a leader or an orator, but she had to be the wind bringing change, she expected the resistance and the shock. She considered the failure and the humiliation that could follow. It wasn't possible to back off, and leave the idea die, she had to carry it.

For those who had know Kala before, it was a novelty. Once she had joined the faction showing her craft as a warrior, how he could “shape herself”, but she soon learned to shape the world, crafting fine weapons while she remained loyal and quiet. She then went away to travel in the Astral, faithfully keeping the faction informed, then for a year everything went dark, she had disappeared. When she finally came back, she apologized, said it was a long personal matter but those who'd known her could witness the change : She had shaped herself into something else and used magical powers she never had before. Then the Far Realm crisis happened, she was there in the right moment, guided by the same warrior spirit and she delivered, quietly and efficiently and it benefited the faction, then the Factol's letter arrived, catching her by surprise.

When she entered the hall to speak with the other factors she looked like a different person, still secretive and reserved, but more empathic and her gaze filled with the fire of her conviction. A fire that would set her words ablaze...

- My fellow Factors... Some of you are probably wondering why such a folly has grown in my mind to write such a paper ? My proposal, is indeed naive at first glance, but was made such in order to keep it pure and simple and let us discuss the details and create a compromise. I understand well that our faction isn't a charity's business, one earns through hard work what he or she deserve, and offering a discount, especially to Namers may sound as a risky idea for all sort of reasons you can easily guess : it opens the door to abuses, and perhaps gives an undeserving reward to people that didn't earned it and could be considered as a plain waste of time.

Why this idea then ? Because I think the benefits would be greater than the risks, and because I'm talking about a DISCOUNT, based on COURTESY. Let's be straight about it, despite similar aspects of our philosophy our faction isn't the Takers, we do not become more powerful by accumulating riches, they're only a mean to a precise end, we all know. This idea of a discount based on courtesy is to make our members feel more like they belong to our Faction, feels more connected. I've seen a lot of Godsmen are effectively working for themselves, as I do and there's nothing wrong about it, but it becomes more of a problem when they closely work with members of other factions and provide them the benefits they should give us.

See this idea as a political tool, our members should remember they are first and foremost Believers of the Source, not assistants in Sensates or Harmonium projects. If the other factions wants to conduct business with us, they'll come and as always expect to have a deal for a fair price. As for our members, they should know that they can get the best deals withing our ranks inciting them to pick our enchanters and crafters over others. It is better to earn less than earn nothing at all.
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

Her speech does not start well. The admission of naivety and folly putting into the mind of those who would be opposed to such a course of action that they are right to do so, and shaking the confidence of those who would support an idea she herself does not seem entirely confident of.

As she elaborates though and the substance of her argument becomes as important as the style with which it is presented. She notices a few nod there heads and there are a few nods of agreement. Her first vocal support comes from a green skinned golden eyed archon of indeterminable gender.

"We should do what we can to help our fellows."

"Charity does not help them. It makes them weak and dependent, and this imposing of what a few of you believe to be true does nothing to help our development."

The retort is spoken by a black haired tiefling originally addressing the archon now he turns to Kala.

"You're right. We aren't The Fated. Such carteling and racketeering is beneath us. Its not something we should be dirtying our hands with, and we should not be binding our members by dictating to them."

The group looks at Kala, some seem agreeable, others opposed, a great many undecided.
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Shepard watched the exchange with only the odd noise of agreement when something was said that he liked. Finally he spoke up

“Let me see if I’m getting this right… you’re wanting me to give the namers a leg up… with no benefit to myself… that right? And non-factioneers… no discount? What if I have loyal followers whom I already do business with… should I simply tell them they’re out of luck due to some policy?

If you want me on your side, Kala… I’ll need something more than courtesy. “

He then takes a deep drink of his water and watches the others
*Hydra

Posted by *Hydra »

For a moment, time was frozen, the different words and arguments where flying around, she sensed the negativity, the uncertainty, the skepticism, she wanted to have the power to force them all to accept, but she knew it was impossible. She had to continue to argue, make her point and work strategically. Many of them where silent and reserved as she was and she had to convince them as well as the opportunists.

Our faction is giving plenty of freedom to its member, but we have earned a position we need to consolidate now, a position that could benefits us all in the long term. It just requires us to think like a group for once, while respecting each member individuality and personal projects. Should I remind you how much we earned from the recent events ? How we stepped on the Doomguard's business and made the Harmonium and the Mercykillers almost pleading us to equip them, even the Fated bought from us reluctantly and you can be sure all of them will come back and try to remove our well earned profits. That's why we need to tighten our ranks and create a sense of confidence and trust among us, if we can maintain that image of ourselves, it'll transpire outside and that's how we're going to attract new members and grow.

That's why I ask how you may think you'll be earning nothing from our namers. As I said previously, this isn't charity. If our members comes to us first to do business, you'll earn your share not matter if you have to reduce your prices, a sale is a sale. I never thought it'll be a good idea to give everything away for free, but having preferential prices for our members should be a definitive mark of the benefits of begin among our ranks. You are also free to ask them favors in exchange of the said discounts, if they don't want this kind of trade, they aren't forced. The main goal is to make sure we have something to straighten our faction as a collective entity, especially against pressures from the outside. If you have loyal customers in other factions or without one, of course you're going to keep giving them a discount, that part of a “normal” business practice, but you should be expected to grant your fellow Godsmen a similar privilege, because begin among our ranks is something exceptional, something better than the rest, this is what people willing to join us should think, this is what we all believe in.

Kala looked at Shepard, then asked.

- Does that answers your concerns ?
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Shepard ponders the idea again

“I’ll meet you half way, Kala. If you want us to put forth the discount as a courtesy, and convince the rest of the faction to do the same, then a courtesy it should be… not an official proclamation. I see little need to offer discounts to those in our ranks whom I personally think do not deserve them but will offer it to the rest as you’ve asked. I see your vision in helping each other in our faction, and for the most part I agree with you… but I’m not going to give unwarranted aid to someone I don’t agree with… faction brother or not.

So my suggestion is to make this a visionary statement to our faction, one that shows your intent… but not a hard, fast dictated policy. Time will show who sees things as you do and who does not.”

He leans back and takes another sip of water
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

It may be in her mind, or it may be an unconscious decision on the part of those listening but the room actually seems to separate into two groups. The Archon who spoke before as well as a Modrone and a few humanoids, roughly just under half of the assembled Factors seem to support her, though is once again the Archon who speaks.

"We'll throw our support behind you, just as the Mercykillers have there Son's of Mercy and their Sod Killers, and the Doomgaurd their regulators sinkers and destroyers, so shall we have a group that agrees to work together to deliver all to godhood, we'll need a name."
*Hydra

Posted by *Hydra »

As the ranks moved and the audience seemed to symbolically "split", Kala sighed, she didn't wanted to create more division, but it was done, they now asked for a name and it came almost naturally.

- Let us be "Prometheans", like Prometheus the "forethought", let us share the divine flame with mortals and help them reach their potential as we also progress, let it be known that we aren't afraid of the consequences, because we're doing something that feels right.

Kala first focused her attention on Shepard

- If that is your wish. I can but respect your choice and opinion as well as those whom do not wish to accept the idea, we aren't the triad we never going to force our members to rank up and walk like dummies, freedom is also something I cherish deeply, it makes us able to discuss here like we did and debate. All oppositions and arguments are but another step to makes us stronger on our path to godhood. As for the success of this "policy", I'd like to quote an Olympian philosopher : “Let him who would move the world first move himself.”.