Ascension Rite

*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

As the mental situation changes, so too does her inner voice as she is no longer pretending to be Ambar.

"Well, I'd generally keep it fer meself an' use its power ta fashion me divine realm proper...but if fer tha sake o' argument I 'ad ta give it ta some group or 'nother, it'd pro'lly be tha Eladrin. They be self-righteous an' generally lofty sods, but frankly they be better than tha alternatives. Archons an' Modrons woul' jus' end up smitin a buncha bloods wha' dunnae need ta be, Rilmani woul' jes' sit on it an' do nothin with it, unless ta interfere wit some sod tryin ta make a difference, an Ssendam woul' be jes' as likely ta eat it as they would be ta use it fer anythin useful. A' leas' wit tha Eladrin I migh' be able ta bargain wit 'em fer some useful service or bit o' realmspace ta call me own."

She muses for a moment longer, then amends:

"I suppose it'd depend on tha nature o' tha item in question though. If it were somethin o' corrupt but powerful means, I migh' trust tha Rilmani more, as they'd only use it if shyte really got bad 'cross tha 'verse, whereas tha Eladrin woul' jes' destroy it an' waste tha' potential effects it migh' 'ave on events."
*Cadence

Posted by *Cadence »

"The nature of the item is unknown to you, save that it is of power and will significantly benefit those who you give it to. Is your choice the Eladrin or the Rilmani? You are only allowed to pick one."
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

"Eh, prolly tha Eladrin then, fer tha reasons I've already gone inta."
*Cadence

Posted by *Cadence »

The gem vanished from sight, as did the light, and the room became an inverse of what it was - extremely bright everywhere save the center. A door opened from one of the distant, white walls and out emerged a massive reptilian creature with red scales, wings, and a bipedal gait. A Cornugon -notably, the race diametrically opposed to the Eldarin on the Great wheel. There was no place further away from Arborea than Baator. It approached Maelfina slowly, eyes narrowed not in an intimidating manner but one of curiosity. Mael noted that it held the green gem in one hand. Once within 5 feet of the tiefling, the full-blooded fiend halted and held out its outstretched hand towards Maelfina, though didn't quite loosen its grip on the gem.

A low, gravely voice emerged with heavily guttural inflection- a Baatezu 'accent' of the Common Tongue.

"Surely, Maelfina, you must reconsider your decision!

As you already mentioned, the Eladrin are a prodigious race, disinclined to fully utilize the potential of such a powerful item."

It paused for a moment, before angling its massive razor-toothed maw forward into an assuring smile - at least as assuring as a smile from a Cornugon was going to get...

"The Baatezu, in contrast, are a race known for our efficiency. The most certain way to ensure that the power of this item is used to its full potential is to gift it to us! Self-righteousness does not equate to the best use of power and the Eldarin will disappoint you. The discipline of the Baatezu and our ruthless efficiency has allowed us to survive for eons in the Blood War despite being vastly outnumbered by the Tanar'ri. Is there any better evidence that we will be the best choice to optimize whatever resources we have available? Deep in your heart, you know this."
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

"Oh aye, nay a body in tha 'verse woul' argue tha' yer nay efficient. Tha' said, I kin trust tha Eladrin ta nay turn 'round immediately an' use tha item ta stab me in tha back...unlike ye. Sure ye keep ta yer word, but ye stretch it jes' far 'nuff ta allow ye ta do wha' ye wan' anyhow, an' wha' ye wan' is ta rule tha 'verse wit everyone as yer slaves in an unchangin, stagnan' way. An' while ye migh' be useful allies frem time ta time, I dunnae trust ye or yer motives further than I kin throw ye wit anythin o' importance."
*Cadence

Posted by *Cadence »

The Baatezu's clawed hand remained ever-clasped around the gem and he continued making his case.

"On the contrary, you can trust me to keep to my word - regardless of my motives. I am no more self serving than any Tanar'ri or Eladrin, though their word cannot be trusted. Surely, this fear.. or caution if you will... of our race using loopholes to trick you is a risk. Yet, to remind you of your own words: 'risks must be taken if one wishes to achieve anything.' You would be willing to spare the life of a being of great power, even if it was a danger to you - just so you could learn more and perhaps enlist an ally. Yet, you wouldn't take the risk involved with dealing with my kind - despite our remarkable efficiency and penchant for honoring contracts. I don't understand the incongruence."

The creature canted its head to regard Maelfina intently with horrendous yellow eyes.
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

"Aye it is a risk, but risks must be taken if one wishes to achieve anything. If this were Kathryn it would be even more worth the risk of questioning her. The previous warden did her great harm in the past...if we can correct that, think of what a powerful ally we would gain. If she cannot be made into an ally, then capturing her will give us the chance to more completely eliminate the threat she poses than we can manage by simply hacking her to bits in the street."

She shrugged and added:

"That said, if she dies in the course of the hunt, I'm not going to beat myself up about it. Bringing her back alive is ideal, but dead will do if dead is all that is possible."
*Cadence

Posted by *Cadence »

The vision dissolves away, and this time, Maelfina finds herself reclining on the couch, stone in hand, while Ombidias is situated cross-legged on the floor adjacent to her, eyes closed, as if deep in thought. His dark eyes open alarmingly fast, and a smile creeps onto his large face as he nods - more to himself than Maelfina.

"That is all there is to it, Factor. Now, I believe Housemaster Bereth will have a document that requires the perusal and signing of the team you've assembled."

*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

"See, tha thing is, it aint a risk tha' I'd be runnin, assumin ye'd keep ta tha spirit o' yer word, it'd be inevitable. Migh' be sooner, migh' be later, but eventually ye always twist any agreement ta yer own ends. It be in yer nature really. An' as I dunnae 'ave tha faintes' idea wha' yer personal goals migh' be, I 'ave ta make an educated guess an' assume tha' it'd nay square tae well wit mine. If this item be as powerful as ye be makin it out ta be...I'd prefer it ta nay be in yer hands."
*Cadence

Posted by *Cadence »

The Cornugon, the gem, the chamber.. they all dissolved away unceremoniously, and yet again Maelfina was left in doubt as to her performance on the examination. Now, there was another memory surfacing, one familiar to Maelfina - when she was being initiated into the Believers of the Source. She realized that this memory was one of Ombidias' as she saw a slightly younger version of herself through his eyes. Again, his booming voice entered her mind:

"Like everyone, you have grown, evolved during your time here. What important lessons have you learned that you would now like to share with your past-self?"