Athar Sermon In The Bazaar

*rapsam2003

Posted by *rapsam2003 »

Several hours before anti-peak, Morthos walks into the Bazaar. He has his sermon notes in hand and is smiling. Morthos knows many are taking their ease or making last minute purchases, and he deems it a good time to preach. As he walks through the porch of Khazeet's, he calls out to those there. "Cutters, I invite ye to my sermon. I will preach near the Lady's Ward, in this Bazaar tonight. All are welcome", he says with a smile.

He walks toward the Root of Nine warehouse and sets up his travel lectern beside the Debtor's Pole. As he is setting up, he tries to encourage Cagers to join the currently non-existent crowd. "Come, all Cagers! I will preach to you of the 'verse. Hear of the three principles of the Seekers of Truth.", he calls out loudly.

He sets his "License to Preach" on the lectern, below his notes; in case an uncouth basher questions his right to speak the truth and expound on Athar philosophy. Then, seeing ten or twelve Hivers and other common Cagers have gathered around, he clears his throat and begins in a loud, clear baritone.

"Cagers, Primes, Planars! Hear me, I beg ye! Let me enlighten ye with the knowledge of truth. My sermon shall be short and simple, but strong." Morthos holds up his index finger to stress this and pauses for effect. "I shall begin by stating three principles: 1) The Principle of Order, 2) the Principle of Contingency, and 3) the Principle of Coherence. These three principles were first stated by Nexatl of Dalea." The Athar pauses for another very brief moment.
"First, the Principle of Order! The multiverse must be ordered so that mortals can induce laws that reproduce the phenomenon occurring in it", he states in a precise manner. The next part he states as if explaining, "Our friends in the Fraternity of Order are always studying the laws of the multiverse. They, my friends, are right to do so. There is an order in the multiverse. It is a knowable order. We must all learn of it and embrace the laws of the multiverse."
"Second, the Principle of Contingency! The multiverse must be contingent so that anything can happen at any time, no matter what laws we have induced dictate. Mortals have the power to extract information from the multiverse. And the multiverse always grows bigger than the sum of all mortal knowledge.", he states in the same precise manner and then continues as if explaining again. "This is good news, friends! There is always more to learn the next cycle than there was the previous cycle. The knowledge we can extract will never end; you will never stop learning. We should learn as much of the multiverse as we can, and thereby increase the sum of all mortal knowledge."
"Third and finally, the Principle of Coherence! The multiverse must be coherent so that events which occur cannot be in contradiction with one another. By extension, contradictions which mortals perceive are the result of inherent incapability to measure, sense, or feel it", continuing as before. "The events in the multiverse are all in harmony with each other, because none causes confusion or nullification when compared to another. Because of those events being coherent, we can piece together events and gain a bigger picture. One event is connected to another and is not made void by any others."
"So, to restate, friends. There are three principles of the multiverse: Order, Contingency, and Coherence. Thes principles work together to grant understanding and knowledge of the truth. Thank ye for your ears!"

The Athar bows ever so slightly and begins to pack up his things. Upon finishing, a few in the crowd issue cat-calls or jeers. Many look confused. However, one or two look thoughtful and seem to be considering the words of the sermon quietly.

Morthos quietly heads towards the Shattered Temple, but is interrupted in his walk by three Planeswalker acquaintances who take him off in another direction.
*Sunshine

Posted by *Sunshine »

The crowd reacted as somebody would expect from the mixed audience you find on Sigil's streets. There were some booing, some cheering, some clapping, some heads have been shaked but overall Morthos speech seems to have had some success.

It is not like many would join the Athar right away but his words made several people think, made them discuss what they heard. Agree or disagree- it is discussed!

And most greybeards agree that as soon as an idea is discussed, as soon people think about it it already starts to affect the multiverse.