A Scroll With A Note Pinned To It

*Theorum Of Neutrality

Posted by *Theorum Of Neutrality »

Kathir attempts to pass a scroll through the higher-ups and reach a Factor. The scroll itself is tightly bound and has a note tied to it, addressed simply to 'An Athaon'. When read, the note reads:
wrote: Athaon,

This artifact, one of many, is a Scroll of Mnemur - an artifact tied to the vile and insane power known as Tharizdun, and a possible reagent in his escape from his prison. Since we have a vested interest in preventing this, I have, for the past few days, been attempting to acquire one of these scrolls so that our finest theologians might go about studying it. I am unsure if our illustrious faction has a number of these scrolls already or not, but this particular scroll is on loan to us from a generous donor.

The donor, a half-orc wizard named Ugdom Wogshurd, has granted us the scroll for ten cycles, and wants confirmation from a Factor that the scroll is of use to us. I will be happy to serve as the intermediary between our faction and Mister Wogshurd regarding this matter if desired.

-Namer Kathir Sethronin
*LiquidDreamer

Posted by *LiquidDreamer »

Kathir receives a note in return.
wrote:
We are aware of the existence of the Scroll of Mnemur.  We have seen many a adventurer and Sigilian in possession of these artifacts, however we have not decided to investigate the matter further as it was not a focus of our attention.

However, now that you mention the possible connection to Tharizdun, we would like you to investigate all possible angles that could exist in relation to that Power. 

I expect to be kept abreast of any information you may gleam from your study. 

Signed,

Factor Omanis.
*Theorum Of Neutrality

A note is quickly returned - somewhat longer than the last.
wrote: Factor Omanis,

I shall begin work immediately. This is the information that I've already gleaned:

- Recitation of the scroll's writing grants some sort of power, either related  to Tharizdun or the bonds which hold him. The powers granted are numerous, including elemental resistances, spell resistance and in general, the increase of a body's overall capacity. Due to the risk of the power granted by the scroll coming from Tharizdun, I will have to rely on testimony to ascertain the exact nature of the enchantments granted.

- The scrolls have the unusual quality of pointing to one another when in proximity. This suggests that they are, indeed, intended to be gathered together into one place.

- Rumors have already begun to spread that the Cult of Tharizdun has become active due to the Far Realm incursion and are attempting to gather these scrolls.

Further results will be forwarded as I collect them.

- Namer Sethronin
*Theorum Of Neutrality

Another status report is forwarded to the Factor.
wrote:Factor Omanis,

My research has continued. I've conducted interviews and done much research into both the scrolls themselves and the history surrounding them with little apparent sense to be made. I have made a few findings worth mentioning, however.

- The scrolls may be tied to a dead power of the same name, Mnemur. Further research into this supposed power and his involvement is necessary. I hope to find a link to Tharizdun in that this Mnemur was key in the involvement of Tharizdun's binding.

- The Cult of Tharizdun is apparently ignorant to the scrolls' existence, and don't seek them with any great effort. I may attempt to approach the Cult present in Undersigil to probe their knowledge of the scroll - gently.

- Actual study of the scroll itself proves the language it is written in to be gibberish. It is no Prime or Upper Planar language that I have ever seen. However, the language may have a Lower Planar source. Allow a trusted linguist to analyze the scroll might prove of worth.

I shall keep you abreast of any further findings.

- Namer Sethronin
*Theorum Of Neutrality

wrote:Factor Omanis,

The Believers of the Source have put out a city-wide exportation on the Scrolls of Mnemur from Sigil with much haste. Intrigued by this development, I spoke with Factor Kala Ta'Kan of the Godsmen, and a notable channeler of the Unknown's energies, for clarification.

What she explained to me is frightening. It seems that she undertook a Communion - some attempt (however misguided) to receive guidance from the False Gods on how these scrolls may be destroyed. She did not hear the voices she expected - what she came in contact with was, as she described, 'cold' and bid her to bring all the scrolls to Sigil - telling her that she would be sparred death and granted the power she sought.

She went on to describe where this all began, with a mind-controlled Ilithid bringing a spelljammer full of the Scrolls to Sigil. These scrolls when given to the Cult of Tharizdun in Undersigil - but were, thankfully, recovered. She has described a scenario where the scrolls bring the nightmares of those who study them out into reality to attack and destroy others, manipulating the minds of those who use and study them.

She later described the intense difficult they have had with destroying these artifacts of evil, with nothing they attempted working. I suggested, with some humility, that she use the great power she draws from the Unknown and take them to the Ethereal. The Ethereal act in some way as the Unknown's anvil - perhaps the Factor could be the hammer and use her power to disperse the energy stolen from the True Divinity back into the Multiverse.

Tharizdun wants these scrolls in Sigil. Sigil would be the ideal staging ground for the Eye to be reborn into our reality, and then to begin its annihilation of all the great works and artifice of the Unknown. It is my belief that further research is unnecessary - we should immediately begin work on destroying these great artifacts of our enemies with great prejudice.

Factor, we must call upon the Factol of this great faction - and we must beg him to access the Bois Verderous. If the Factor's efforts in the Ethereal fail, it may be the only method open to us to destroy these scrolls. If this is not open to us, they must be removed from Sigil at any cost - this may be our greatest and most important fight yet against the False Gods and their insidious worshippers.

With Deference, and Fear,

Namer Kathir Sethronin