Gatehouse council: The Weary Spirit

*Abby

Posted by *Abby »

*redone below following IC events*
*Abby

Posted by *Abby »

Sister Abigail requests a hearing on the matter of the Weary Spirit Infirmary. She hope's Amir has put in the request he mentioned to place her in charge of the building, but if not, she'll make the case herself. Her unrivaled skill in both mundane and divine healing is known to those who work beside her in the Gatehouse, and she stresses that the current manager of the Weary Spirit is not acceptable.

"Tis vital t-that someone with the proper skill and a sound mind t-take over the opperation of the Weary Spirit b-before more damage can b-be done. Im certain you've all heard the r-rumors of experamental surgery, torture a-and worse things. The rumors are for the most part true. However, Doctor Newt "is" well meaning, but badly misguided. I r-recently went to the Infirmary to see for myself, and what I discovered (with help) was unacceptable."
Abby explains: "There is an entity known as the "Weary Spirit" who seems to have a sembiotic relationship with the doctor. What I discovered is that the entity is incorporeal, and seems to feed on mortal pain and suffering, perhaps in the same manner in which a Will-o-Whisp feeds on mortal fear. The doctor, in this way is able to perform surgery on those who use his Infirmary without much in t-the way of anestesia. The trouble is that the entites appetites are not satiated by simply fixing what is wrong w-with the patients. Therfore, to satisfy the entity, the doctor performs dangerous and unneccessary sugery to create more pain, and extended recover times, often resulting in a need for additional corrective sugery and even amputation which I f-found had been performed in abundance."

"I myself caught him performing a triple chamber fasciotomy for the simple purpose of removing a shallow arrow wound."

Abby pauses before continuing; "Doctor Newt may be well intentioned, however his practices, aside from being unethical, are hurting both his patients and his ability to get donations. The rumors in the Hive have forced him to subside on almost nothing, his equipment is old and out of repair, his facilities are filthy and unsanitary."

"Doctor Newt's desire to keep working with the "Weary Spirit" entity leads him to refuse my help. He won't accept divine healing because it will reduce the amount of suffering his patients must endure in order to feed the entity. His desire is not to run an efficient and effective Infirmary. It is simply to feed the entity. That he can, at times, help people is only a benificial second in his mind."

"He needs to be removed." Abby says matter-of-factly. "I mean to run the infirmary myself unless there are objections. I am capable in both mundane and divine h-healing craft and I have run Sanctuaries of Ilmater in the past with success. I understand the Weary Spirit must remain secular, and that is well. My m-mission here is t-to ease suffering, not make converts.

"I would s-suggest reviewing both Doctor Newt and this entity and trying to d-dicern if they have applicable uses in the Gatehouse Assylum. The doctor is capable and well meaning. He could possibly serve as a surgeon among you, and we have an entire ward of those who inflict suffering on themselves that the entity may possibly be a-able to find a positive use if deemed safe. I would leave that to your judgment so long as t-the people of the Hive are spared these t-terrible practices and given a healer w-who will perform her task with ethics, efficiency and compassion."

((As an OOC note for the purposes of delivery, body language and overall ability to present her message in ways that trancend type, Abby's diplomacy is 45, she has the negotiator feat, and her Charisma is 21))

Note: DM Ravel DMed this event for me.
*Abby

Posted by *Abby »

*DING* Abby rings the little bell on the Gatehouse helpdesk.
*Ravel's Heart

Posted by *Ravel's Heart »

A bored-looking bleaker with mousy gray skin looks up from Dark and Empty's Treatise on Futility.

He sighs. "I doubt that I can help you. But it probably wouldn't hurt to try." He looks unenthusiastically at Abby.
*Abby

Posted by *Abby »

abby says all the stuff she said in the post above the "Ding" post and waits for a reply.
*Abby

Posted by *Abby »

It was near a week ago when Sister Abby stood before the Weary Spirit, dark and vacant. She waited several days for some reply from the Gatehouse, or any sign of Doctor Newt. But the time for waiting was over. Amir's words were wise. The Bleakers had never been organized or highly motivated, and certainly the fate of the Weary Spirit was unlikley to rank high on their list. Waiting for them to make up their minds would only increase the chance that someone else would take over the vacant building. The Hive needed a real infirmary. Knowing it was now or never, the small healer staked her claim. Small painted letters at the bottom of the Weary Spirit Infirmary sign soon read: "New Managment."

She spent the next several days cleaning and setting up. Some of her friends donated medical supplies, new equipment, blankets, food and the like. Others donated time and elbow grease, another changed out some of the locks. Before long, the Infirmary was open and ready for its first patients. Of course the first patient didn't quite reach the door. Hearing a brawl across the street, Abby went to the door to see a group of scantly clad tieflings running off into the alley. A ragged vagrant was crawling across the street, whimpering something obscene at the fleeing hookers, with blood running from his tattered crotch and a broken bottle rolling about on the cobbles nearby. The small healer went out to tend him in front of stunned onlookers who were far more accustomed to disfigured and crippled wretches being turned out by the mysterious doctor within than miraculous divine healing. One look at crowd gave her to know it was probably best to keep the healing "in" the infirmary. Not all the faces seemed happy to see her work, even if most probably were. Sigil was a long way from home.

Abby rested against the operating table. She was weary after her latest patient left happily with promises to donate medical supplies. He would be happy, having just had a phylactory containing the essence of some undead creature removed from the inside of his ribcage. It was probably a miracle Tald had happened upon Abby when he did. He'd been rotting from the inside out and, though she didn't tell him, had probably only had hours to live. The surgery and destruction of the phylactory and its undead host were rather taxing however, and probably not technically legal in Sigil, however all in all, sister Abby knew she was doing good work and was content. Her eyes turned toward the baracaded closet door. Sooner or later she was going to have to deal with that portal.

Tomorrow.

Abby locked up, and then trudged up the spiral stairs to the healer's quarters. It was certainly nice to sleep in a bed again. She found herself wondering, as she tucked in, if anyone truly understood how good it felt to go from four years of sleeping in alleys, to this simple cot? Had any prince ever enjoyed his luxurious feather mattress so much? If there was one simple truth about the vow of poverty, it was that it taught one how to enjoy the simplest of pleasures in life moreso than the most flagrant of hedonists. She pushed back the nagging feeling of guilt, and snuggled into the corse wool blanket happily.
*Ravel's Heart

Posted by *Ravel's Heart »

Abby awoke the next morning feeling rested, placid, and ready to carry on Ilmater's work.

It is unlikely that she recalled any dreams, and if she had, she would have recalled only a sense of peace, comfort, and an exhortation to come and be well.