A Letter Posted on the Corkboards of The Gatehous

*TheorumOfNeutrality

Posted by *TheorumOfNeutrality »

This letter is on typical parchment, written with cheap ink. The font is easy to read, and typical for such things in Sigil.
wrote:Berks, Cutters, and other assorted Bleakers,

Life has a strange way of being utterly shattering. A natural part of being what we are requires a total lack of ego - shattering that sense of self-importance into little pieces and rearranging them so that the dark of the matter becomes plainly obvious. There is no answer, there is no point, nothin' is important; all that exists is yourself and the tangible world.

This is all screed you're all no doubt familiar with.

I am, too.

I've been a Bleaker now for nigh fourteen years. That's a long time. By all accounts, I should be in my Retreat by now, reduced to a mewling catatonic mess in the back of a cell. I'm not, however. Over the past few years, I've been doing more and more, in actuality. My activity has been a good distraction, though it's well-known to have a side effect of creating a speedier retreat.

Or does it?

I woke up yesterday morning, and I looked at myself in the dirty looking glass I keep on my desk. I looked into my eyes, tainted a fey purple due to my heritage. That's when I saw it. That's when it made sense.

I've been in my Grim Retreat this whole time.

We all have.

The madness inherent to our condition is that we focus so much on how pointless the multiverse is. In the end, who gives a sod? Life goes on, sane Bleakers or no. Obviously, if the Multiverse is pointless, it certainly doesn't care. We also focus so much on making others see how pointless the multiverse is - once again, who gives a sod? We focus so much on our own despair, our own loss of the delusions of hope... Who gives a sod? You really think you're that important, berk?

That's the dark of dark's - no philosophy has any basis, including our own. That's the irony of it. When I woke up that morning, and realized that... I found that the wrenching weariness in my gut was gone. I, for once, saw purpose bright and clear in the front of my mind.

The symbol of the Bleak Cabal is a symbol of mercy, a symbol of compassion - we're the ones that do our screed not because of our philosophy, but in spite of it. We choose to try and make the Multiverse a better place.

And we have a lot of work left to do.