A Prolonged Investigation

*Kari_Shadowfox

Posted by *Kari_Shadowfox »

// this will be a main spot for Helena to dump her info her mission for Skall//

Doctor Trevant,

I have taken steps toward gathering the required information. I have employed one Hildmor D'Kridis to spread my interest in these matters along the Free League razorvine, and hope to hear something from some corner of society. It is well known that the number one object sold by the Indeps is information...Besides this, I have taken to stationing my familar in and around the Shattered Temple, and have also taken up Collecting routes for that area. As a bat, Knox is particularly suited for hidden eavesdropping, and I suspect something of note may be heard through that venue as well.

As the Cheaters are no true sect, they have no headquarters... and tend to work individually, or even belong to other factions in addition to thier status as Cheaters. This complicates the investigation somewhat....Certain members of the Athar could have become Cheaters, establishing a "relation" between the two....but the more I learn, the less likely organized support from the Cheaters is, for any faction. It simply does not follow logic, nor thier typical modus operendi.

However, I will continue to investigate. There should be more concrete news arriving soon.

Namer Helena Krows
*DM_Duke

Posted by *DM_Duke »

Student Professor Krows.

Your investigation sounds to yield promising results. As such you will continue your orders as follows:

- Be sure to keep the matter reletive only to the task you have been given. Focus entirely upon minimising your search per-am-i-ter to the intended goal of uncovering the truth behind the claim. We only want to know if The Athar are in league with The Cheaters before we do anything hasty...
- Be careful who you speak to in this subject, this Hildmor D'Kridis is known to me in a neutral manner. It is a wise idea to avoid becomming too deeply involved in this subjects affairs and interests, we do not want to be dragged into any unnecessary agreements.
- Finally, keep an eye out for stray corpses and while taking the usual procedures, be sure to investigate an autopsy of any bodies you find for any signs of occultist markings. We understand The Cheaters use forbidden arts to prolong their lives and while these are not akin to vampirism we believe the key lays in blood.

That is all for now Student Professor, re-sume your efforts.

Doctor Trevant.
*Kari_Shadowfox

*She takes the orders to heart, and procedes with gathering the autopsy information on all the stray bodies that normally turn up around the city, keeping full and detailed notes on each. Having recieved no reply so far from any Indep sources, she relies on her familar's memory recordings and whatever stray chant she can pick up easily, keeping in mind her orders not to get too involved in any other situations than her mission*
*Kari_Shadowfox

The Student professor pracitcally barricades herself in her dorm, not coming out for a day or more. She studies the books she recieved from Factor Trevant with great interest, as well as her own studies....she knew that this Kain, whoever he was, would likely outstrip her meager abilities. Someone that bent on living forever had to have numerous tricks up his sleeve.

When she finally emerged from her self-incarceration, she makes her way to the Harmonium, presenting herself to the investigation squad in charge of the Clerk Ward's child-death as a cooperative from the Dustmen to aid them.
*DM_Duke

Posted by *DM_Duke »

Doctor Trevant updated his student on her immediate situation by providing her a new assignment, post arrived via ghoul, with the scroll stored in a gap in its meaty entrails:
Student Professor Krows:

It has come to my attention that an artifact of great interest has fallen into my possession, this strange device seems to have the capacity to corrupt all living beings it touches and drives them to acts of pure insanity. I want you to guard this device when you are able and prevent any and everyone within and without the organisation touching it in any way or form, including yourself.
Accomplishing this will result in an increase of your circle initation rank, you will earn this by keeping an eye on this device while studying a means to purify it of its maddening affliction. No unnatural device will tamper with the flow that is natures intended course of events, death will come, when it comes, not before, not after.
I believe this device is the key to understanding the interests of The Prolongers in Sigil, we may yet find a key to discovering them through its use.
I have left it in the Faction quaters of the Mortuary, be sure to study it as much as possible. Interact especially with the following peoples:
Hildmor D'Kridis.
Captain Mir of the Tangarine Queen.
Mashanie her first mate and chaperone (so it seems).
Maelfina the Godsmen (as much as we loathe them, this one knows something of the device and its purpose).
Maelfina the Dustmen (temporal interference from the rifts has caused various dimensions to clash, this woman may know something of affairs too, unlikley, but we must try all sources.)
A black robed elven male ((Darremar))
A red apparel tiefling female ((Nimue))
A white apparel female Bleaker ((Zilvai))
and anyone else they may know with information on this strange device and its functionality. Be sure to send me a full report when your investigation is compleate, I will have further tasks for you later.

Doctor Trevant.
*Kari_Shadowfox

She reads over the missive with a dull expression, making her way immediately to the Faction quarters to secure the Device. If it was held in a particular room, she commandere's it for her own use, giving no explanation save by showing the Doctor's letter and signature.

"Jerome, you guard the door. Melvin, you direct "visitors" away. And Pim..." She addresses each of her undead crew, a motely band of creatures. A skeletal warrior, a wraith, a ghast, and a mummy, all looking to her expectantly. " You watch the device itself. Jeff will keep watch over me. Is that clear?" All the deaders sound thier assent, shuffling to thier duties.

The Student Professor then turns to the Device, trying to divine its nature without touching it just yet, to gain an understanding of where she should begin her search to purify it. She pulls out a paper and pen, jotting down what she observes of it's energies
*Kari_Shadowfox

Factor Doctor Trevant,

I have made contact with Hildmor D'Kridis, and have gained all the information he carries on the subject. However, in return for his cooperation, he wishes to have an audience with you. I told him I would pass on the request. The decision to see him is ever yours. I will continue with the list you have provided, and report when I have more information at my disposal.

~ Student-Professor Helena Krows
*DM_Duke

Posted by *DM_Duke »

The thing was a black charcoal stone with cracks venting with orange-red glowing light like veins or scars. One might mistake it for a heart of sorts, one might even thought it pulsed like one the way the light radiated.
A strong resonance of Negative maddening quantities of energies radiated out of it. Even for her formidable training as a Dustwoman, she could feel its corrupting energy calling to her like a sirens song, it was to say the least, difficult to ressist.
However, it was only thanks to that training she had the ressistance necessary to do the work and research it. Evidently alot of negative-energy was infused into this foul contraption, it was no friend to the living.
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

*Report to the desk of Factor Trevant*

Factor Doctor Trevant,

Captain Mir and Mashanie shall be of no use to us. The former seems mentally unstable and irrationally opposed to our Faction. She has also made threats against your student Professor Krows, and thus it may be suitable to deem her something of an enemy. The latter, in his pointless devotion to her, was mum on anything useful.

Hildmor claims not only to have additional information on the artifact that he purposefully neglected to share with Student Professor Krows, but also regarding the present situation with the Prolongers and the Athar. Again, he refuses to share anything unless he is allowed a meeting with Factol Skall or yourself. He has been made aware of the potentially unwelcome consequences of wasting either of your time, and insists that he will have information of value within a few days.

Inititate Maelfeena Fourfingers
*DM_Duke

Posted by *DM_Duke »

Professor Fourfingers

I am interested to learn more of what Hildmors interests in this matter are, he may have a connection we have long been waiting for on the matter of the Prolongers, I want answers and I will have them.

Make sure he is fully aware, before he has any interaction with us, he will first provide you with everything you wish to know, or he will have no interview.

It is that simple.

Doctor Trevant.

(Seperate Letter)

Student Professor Krows

Be sure to guard the artifact from this Hildmor D'Kridis untill we have unquestioned access to the information he provides. I wish to know everything this man can give, also, work closley with Professor Fourfingers in this matter, it may benefit "team building" exercises, remind her to do the same.

Doctor Trevant.