Delivered Notice

*Agony_Aunt

Posted by *Agony_Aunt »

Factor Yunglef waited nervously outside Duke Rowan's office. Eventually he is shown in.

"So?" said Rowan "How does Hildmor's assets measure up?"

Yunglef gulped and stammered "They...r-r-re. clean.... sir."

Rowan laughed causing much confusion for Yunlef.

"Sir?"

"Of course they are clean you buffoon!" said Rowan "You're loosing your edge Yunglef, maybe you could do with some time gathering taxes in... let's say Ribcage perhaps?"

Yuglef gave a worried look, but Rowan continued "Pass me the summary"

Yunglef hastened to comply. Rowan took the paper, flicked the sheaf once and studied it for a moment. As his eyes reached the bottom a smile crossed his lips.

"Ah, yes, the tower.... i must remember to collect on that at some point. A deal is a deal."

Another moment passes then Rowan addressed Yunglef.

"Very well. You may inform Hildmor and his counsel that all assets as listed are to be returned to them, as they were... but, let's not look like we are not doing our job. Run the numbers once again, i'm sure you can find a few coppers unaccounted for here and there if you look, even if it takes a little creative accounting."

"But sir! You yourself believe that he is hiding something surely?"

"Of course he is. But he has declared everything he owns... so anything he hasn't declared, must not be his." a grin spreads across his face.

"I want our agents out everywhere Hildmor is meant to do business. I want them drinking at Khazeets listening in on his conversations, make sure they have appropriate spells. Have all his associates watched by every means necessary including scrying and any other means. Don't try to directly scy on Hildmor though, hes probably too wily for that. Be circumspect, but I want to know what Hildmor eats for breakfast, i want to know the colour of his shits, and most importantly i want to know every peice of business he is involved with.

I want Hildmor's real assets, wealth, business interest catalogued down to the last copper."

He pauses for breath...

"And when we know this, then we will move to take everything that is not on that lovely little list he presented us with."

Yunglef, caught up in the mood of things said excitedly "And what about the assets he transferred to his associates?"

"Keep a paper trail on those as well. If there is any sign that Hildmor still has an involvement in those then we need to check his official status with them and if he is drawing any sort of income from them."

"Now go and write a nice letter to that Goodman fellow. Be nice and apologetic about it."

Yunglef bowed and left the room, a spring in his step.
*Agony_Aunt

Posted by *Agony_Aunt »

A note is delivered to Charles

Dear Sir,

It is with great joy I can inform you that all of Mr d'Kridis' assets are unfrozen with immediate effect.

We apologise deeply over this delay and any difficulties you client may have suffered during the duration of our investigation.

Duke Rowan himself expressed his regrets and as a token of his respect, please find delivered with this message a vintage bottle of Chateaux de Darkwood, from one of his own estates.

We did find a small discrepency in one of the calculations, and I hope you are not too annoyed at finding a small fee, a mere 23 silver, being levied on the transfer of some of the assets to one of your associates. The fine is also presented along with this letter and payment should be made within 30 cycles through the usual channels.

Your humble servant

Factor Yungef
Tax Inspector and Chief Auditor
*Reptiller

Posted by *Reptiller »

Hildmor weights the bottle in his hand, then hands it over to Yuriy, chuckling. The servant leaves and only efter the bottle is outside hearing proximity, the older man addresses Charles:

"Interesting. Either Rowan is indeed involved directly or mr. Yunglef wants us to believe so...with his Factol's permission, ofcourse. This little fine... Compared to what they -could- get from us, if there was something amiss in what I sent them, that fine is much less than a drop in the Ditch. Right now, I can't tell why they bothered...If such was done during a battle, I'd consider it akin a feint. True or not, it's better if we doublecheck and use care with our...out of books dealings for now, including Undersigil. This is not over. Ofcourse, they won't be trying to seize or tax our territory or inside dealings there all too soon, that'd be just suicidal. Factor Yunglef probably knows that in moments of serious danger, I become more cruel, violent and reckless than usual."

Hildmor regards Charles for a long moment, then smirks amusedly. Was he really enjoying this game?

"So, here's our next step: we need to reveal something, not too obviously though. Just an item or two, something it would be viable but not too easy for them to seize...it also should be a dead end, so our other channels and assets don't join the flow. Let them think they're -a little- smarter and swifter than us...And if they bite, we'll have three options. First is me going to Rowan and persuading him to leave us alone. Problem is, if the Factol is in it's not going to work at all. Second option is to simply conceal or freeze all our operations...And the third way we can deal with this problem, to make sure Takers understand we cost more than we're worth..."

Hildmor offers a dark smile.

"We kill Yunglef."