Claiming An Escaped Slave

*Elusa

Posted by *Elusa »

"I wish to submit paperwork to lay claim to the escaped half-celestial slave, Mello, also known as Palle, who escaped from her owner on Toril. The sum of one hundred thousand jink has been paid to her, in exchange for her servitude, to be used as she wishes. It has come to my attention that the erinyes Lilith may also attempting to lay claim to her, and has seized her unlawfully by way of an inscribed binding rune. This was done after and with full knowledge of my purchase. I was not given time to file the appropriate paperwork. I am requesting legal ownership be granted to me, and if she is not released to me from her binding within a tenday, I will be filing a report of theft with the Harmonium."

Submitted is a copy of Melissa's permit to own slaves, along with any required fees or bribes to move the paperwork along swiftly.
*Silk

Posted by *Silk »

A fresh-faced new Namer, introducing herself as Karenn Quill, happens to be manning the 'Self-Help' desk when Melissa brings her case. She is plain, pale, and has mousy curls that hang just past her cheeks. Karenn listens with all due attentiveness (enhanced of course by the prospect of a bribe) and reviews the documents given to her before replying:

"Look friend, I'd like to help here...but if I just draw up the proof of ownership and stamp it with my handy stamp here without seeing some evidence of your claims the higher-ups'll scrub me pretty bad. That's if I'm lucky, savvy?

Do you have any proof of purchase? Were there any witnesses to the deed that could be produced to verify that you bought the sod fair and square?"
*Elusa

Posted by *Elusa »

"Of course, Miss, I wouldn't have you do anything to risk your job. Unfortunately the slave was seized before I could have official papers drawn up. I'm not fluent enough in legalese to write these things up myself. However, I do have a witness to the purchase who is willing to testify under Zone of Truth that I purchased the slave prior to the seizure. If I brought her in, would that suffice?"
*Silk

Posted by *Silk »

Karenn nods.

"Aye, that'd do just fine. Have them brought in and we'll interview them to see if they can corroborate your claim."
*Niryain

Posted by *Niryain »

Lilith, ever the servant of justice she is, would have at a different time filed paperwork of her own claiming the half-celestial with the Fated. Those forms would perhaps be found by any searching Namer. Or perhaps they're stuck in bureaucratic void and the two of them both have papers going through the pipeline simultaneously for the same person. What fun, bureaucracy.
*Silk

Posted by *Silk »

Karenn would find and set Lilith's paperwork aside until she has further information from Melissa. If Lilith inquires, she is met with those timeless bureaucratic words: 'Your request is being processed.'
*Er_Nano_Infame

Posted by *Er_Nano_Infame »

informed and knowledgeable fo the facts, namael goes to that namer

''Hello Miss Karenn,

i was informed of the facts and told my witness may be needed. I was present when miss mello accepted the gold from miss melissa, so that she could be in service of miss melissa herself , and use the gold for whichever need she may had to face. To my knowledge she hadnt give it back yet.
Of course, if the ownership will be allowed to pass to miss lilith we will claim the gold back, since the reason for giving it would come lacking, in case the devil thinks she can claim the sum -if- and once mello is hers, should she hold onto the coins for that long'' she notes idly, head shaking, just in case

she waits
*Er_Nano_Infame

Posted by *Er_Nano_Infame »

The sum was given back to lisa, this leaving her claims on mello in favor to lilith. Even if it still left concerns about the mercykiller erynie's foggy methods and the future conduct of mello...Happy Ending. Yeeeh...
*Silk

Posted by *Silk »

((I'll wait to get confirmation of the above post from Elusa before proceeding.))
*Elusa

Posted by *Elusa »

(( Confirmed. The scene would finish regardless, but Melissa released her claim to Mello ))