A Visit For Business

*Cellopoly

Posted by *Cellopoly »

A short time after receiving her licenses for her Slaves, Mila heads over to the Hall of records to speak with a representative of the Fated. She has with her two Erinyes. One is heavily armed and assumes a protective position just to the rear of her and the other carries the documents she will require for the days transactions.

This day Mila is dressed professionally, wearing silks and satins instead of her usual plate and leathers. Her wings are kept tight to her back and her hair is neat and tied back. Her Blood Orb eyes taking in everything around her. A few small rings carefully set onto her long, curled, horns.

Upon arrival, she walks up to the front desk and politely speaks

“I wish to speak to an individual in regards to permanent taxation licenses pertaining to the operation of a potential business Hub to be created within the city. Could you direct me to the proper Taxation officer? Thank you.”
*Serena

Posted by *Serena »

The woman behind the desk glances at Mila and at the two devils following her, then nods at her words and gestures with a polite smile to a door at her left.

"You will find one of our appointed personnel in the office of our Tax department at your right, ma'am.*
*Cellopoly

Posted by *Cellopoly »

Mila would smile politely to the clerk and head to where she was instructed. The Erinyes holding the documents would open the door for her and she would enter the department. A quick scan of the area was made to see who would be available to see her
*Serena

Posted by *Serena »

The office she enters is narrow but still quite comfortable. A massive bookshelf full of neatly placed folders covers the wall at her left left, while at the opposite end of the room another door probably leads to the rest of the department.
The desk in the middle, however, seems to be empty at the moment, just a couple of papers left on the table.

As Mila considers the situation, the other door opens and a young, slightly ill looking man with black hair enters the room, carrying a couple of folders with him, one of which he is apparently consulting as he walks.
Surprisingly, he doesn't seem to notice Mila or the two devils at all, and he simply approaches the bookshelf, closing the folder with the documents he was reading and putting it in its place together with the other one.
Only after doing this and as he turns to leave, he finally sees the woman and the two following her.
He blinks a couple of times, looking from Mila to the empty desk and then to Mila again.

"Were you... Looking for something, ma'am?"

He finally asks her after a moment of silence, his voice low but still rather clear despite the distance between them.
*Cellopoly

Posted by *Cellopoly »

Mila would politely smile

“Yes, I’d like to begin the process for setting up a permanent taxation and business account with the Fated. You see I intend to make a large part of my business transactions within the city and wish to avail myself of the protection offered by your organization. I’d also like to discuss the options of keeping one of your taxation officials on retainer for my business… to make traversing the bureaucracy of the city a little bit easier. A healthy relationship with the Fated is an attractive option I’d like to pursue.

Would you be able to help me with these things?”

Before waiting for an answer, she sits in one of the chairs, her assistant and her guard taking up unobtrusive positions at the rear of the room
*Serena

Posted by *Serena »

The man moves his gaze again from the woman to the desk, a slightly annoyed look apparently directed to the empty chair crossing his features for a brief moment.
Then, as Mila takes a seat, he shakes his head as to dismiss a thought and with slow movements he sits at the other side of the table, facing the woman.

"It is indeed something I can help you with," he replies quietly, reddened eyes staring directly at her, "but for that, I will need some informations about the... business. Numbers, mostly," he adds with a slight sigh, taking some empty parchments from one of the desk drawers.

"A permanent taxation account can be quite convenient, but we need to be sure the business we're granting such asset to is... worth of that consideration. In order to not incour in losses by our side.
I mean no offence with this, of course."
He concludes in a polite, yet rather blank tone.
*Cellopoly

Posted by *Cellopoly »

She smiled professionally, a typical (and practiced) smile indicative of her heritage. If she noticed his annoyance, she didnÂ’t show it. Either she was already prepared for such things or she simply didnÂ’t care. Not that it mattered anyhow, she was here for a reason and she stayed focused on it.

“I am in the business of the transport, trade, sale and contracting of Slaves between my home in Nessus, here and a yet to be constructed trade link outpost in a yet to be determined plane”

At this point, the smaller of the two Erinyes, approached and set down several documents bearing the seal of the Fraternity of Order. She then moved back to her spot at the rear of the room

“As you might be aware, or perhaps not, the slave trade is a profitable industry in areas that are dependent, or at the very least highly supportive, of the use of slaves in their day to day lives. Nessus, for example, bolsters a population in the millions. A great many slaves are utilized there. Research shows us that a great many cities in the Planes and Primes are open to the use of slave labor as well. It is people like me who ensure a constant supply.

Now, to alleviate some concerns in case they might sour any morality issues you might have. The first is that it is completely legal and sanctioned. I have no interest in circumventing the lawful customs of this city. Quite plainly, it is bad for business. Secondly, I very rarely deal in slaves of a forced nature. They are far too chaotic and demand a great deal of resources to maintain and control. This is not to say I wonÂ’t if the profit is great enough, only that I tend to avoid them. My slaves are contractual. I invest a small amount of resources or coin and release people from potential fatal debts. In return, I am granted servitude. While this is a crude and broad example, it highlights my intent.

I would assume all my transactions would be taxed so wish to ensure the taxation methods are easily maintained as oft times I can gain a slave, and trade it, in a matter of hours. I require the legal flexibility to manage this without flouting the Fated.

I’d also like to have, as mentioned, one of your members on Retainer to not only help me manage my books but also ensure the legal system can be easily traversed. Last thing I want is other Factional members, mainly those with authority or influence, of a high Moral attitude attempting to ruin my business because they disagree with it.”
*Serena

Posted by *Serena »

He listens at Mila's explanation in perfect silence, averting his gaze from her only to briefly consult the documents provided by the Erynies.
When she concludes, he nods once and speaks again, his tone unaltered.

"There will be no need for you to convince me of the legitimacy of the slave trade, ma'am, as I am aware of that already. And I don't have any... moral issues concerning the matter either. Even if I had, I don't believe this would.."

Before he could conclude the sentence, one of the doors opens and another man enters.
With a puzzled look, the newcomer stares at the persons occupying what probably should be his desk, then turns to Rhistel, a slightly aggravated tone in his voice
"What is this about, Aidan? Don't you have an office of your own to care about?"

Rhistel turns to the man, the reason for his previous annoyance now clear as he stares at him with obvious irritation.
"No, I don't," he replies harshly, "and apparently neither do you, now, so move on unless you want to bring this up in the arena."

As if he wasn't expecting such reaction from the other, the man looks at Rhistel in disbelief for a moment, then decides to leave the room, muttering something about people gone barmy.
Only after the door is closed, Rhistel turns to Mila again, just as if nothing had happened, and continues his speech, his tone quiet and calm again.

"What I meant is that you only need to prove me that your business is solid and profitable, and is not going to get crushed among the others.
If you can do so, not only I can provide you the service you are interested in, but I will also take care of them personally."

He concludes, moving the Guvner's documents toward her.
*Cellopoly

Posted by *Cellopoly »

Mila watched the exchange with idle curiosity but said nothing. She then returned to the conversation

“A business plan. I thought you might ask for such.” As she spoke, the smaller Erinyes stepped forward and placed another document folder in Mila’s hand. “Currently I have access to a smaller Slave market in Nessus. While not one of the larger and more popular markets, it is stable and frequently busy. I’ve paid a fair investment to be able to maintain access to the market and have guaranteed access to their pens to sell what I can find here.

Finding merchandise is never a difficult task. Everyone wants something, needs something or wants to avoid something. It takes little to get a signature. The nature of this city, the Hive, the access to the connected planes, the Debtors prisonÂ… itÂ’s a city full of potential. It is flush with low investment, low value product that can be moved in bulk for a quick return.

As active as the markets in Nessus are, it is limited in what I can access. I now have the ability to access the markets here and facilitate a two way trade between here and Nessus. I can easily send inexpensive labour salves to Nessus and bring more valuable salves, She lazily motions to the Large Erinyes guard behind her, to Sigil to sell. ThatÂ’s where the real profit lies. ActnieÂ’ll here is worth easily a dozen labour slaves and if I chose to sell her, I could do so in an hour. She smiled to the Black winged devil. However, IÂ’ve grown attached to her so her value is much higher than normal and she is unlikely to be sold for a pittance.

ThatÂ’s where the slave markets of Sigil will become important. They will house what I bring back from Nessus. The more I move there, the more I barter back. Give and takeÂ… a growing reputation and soon a constant stream in both directions exist. A few guards, a warehouse in the city, and a constant stream of coin.

Then comes phase three. In time, I plan to build a large compound, a village of sorts, just beyond one of the local portals. A place where I can house and trade on my termsÂ… and the terms of my partners. No fees, no share, no unnecessary investment. But that comes much later.

Now… you know so much about me yet I know so little about you. If you were to agree to take on this account, what tells me that you are competent and efficient enough to help me where I need the most assistance? “
*Cellopoly

Posted by *Cellopoly »

Mila would listen to him and then nod “Scrupulous… ensuring things are morally and ethically right. I did get the correct, didn’t I? The common tongue of this place is not my first language so I tend to misconstrue now and then. “