Hunting Entropy

*Trigonometry

Posted by *Trigonometry »

"They call us the Takers. But we do not take, we earn." - Duke Rowan Darkwood

Ranking up in the Fated is no easy task. Many a cutter try to achieve it, forgetting that nearly all of his peers are trying to do just the same. This makes earning the both their respect and their loyalty a hard thing to do indeed. The stories of how Duke Rowan himself went from being an unaffiliated sod to the Factol of the Fated make a lot of clueless berks who enter the Hall of Records believe they will do the very same thing, unaware that they are just being thrown to the wolves.

Even among Namers, one berk will try to outdo the other to prove their mettle and resourcefulness. Both to their peers and their superiors so they stand out from the rest of the crowd as more than any another basher. Often, the sorry sods bite off more than they can chew and either end up shackled before the Fraternity of Order, or penned in the deadbook. The dangers within the faction leave some opting to just take a safer approach and perform their duties as tax notaries and hired henchmen for merchants. Doing your job can be rewarding.

But who is to say that reward is respect?

To be a Fated Factotum is to be a canny blood who has earned the respect of those who would take their place. Often, it means a display of superiority so decisive that it makes the Namers instinctively understand their place in the food chain and do what they are told.

And Karsperus Blake intends to do just that.

Who was he? Karsperus was a basher that had been around for a good while now, yet for the most part he had kept a low profile. Either doing paperwork within the Hall of Records itself, or taking small time jobs from both planeswalkers and merchants who needed a sharp blade. Nothing of too much note, just another basher in a sea of bashers.

So why talk about him now? The Dark is he had been biding his time to make his name known, both to possible allies and rivals, while looking for a way to make that decisive statement that showed he was not cut from the same cloth as the average berk.

Word has it the barmy sod has decided to hunt down an Entrope. Don't know what it is? Most sods don't. But a couple of the Greybeards in Duke Rowan's Academy were talking about it. Supposedly, a giant worm that borrows through the boundries of the elemental planes. Dark is the Doomguard created them to help bring the end of the 'verse by jumbling all the elements in the inner planes together and destroy those boundries or somesuch. Thing is, most cutters don't know if they even exist at all! The average blood will think you're barmy if you even think about hunting one down.

But there's one thing everyone agrees with. If the Entropes are real, then the sod who brings back the carcass of one is at least worthy of respect.
*Serena

Posted by *Serena »

As the rumours about Blake's intentions spread around the Academy, they would eventually find an interested ear in Factor Aidan, who seemed to have just recently come back to the Cage after completing some off-plane business.

Never been amongst the ones attached to wealth itself for the sole purpose of having it, and always more inclined in using it for things he deemed noteworthy, he'd send Namer Karsperus a simple offer for him to consider; he'd be, in fact, ready to give his "expedition" full economical support, providing specific assets if and where needed, at a single condition: should he be successful in his hunt, the Factor would retain exclusive privilege in the study of the carcass itself.
Of course Blake would still be the one to get recognition for the success achieved.

The only catch (because sure there's one) would be that, in case of failure, the amount provided should be returned in full, although the Factor seems willing to consider payment in installments an option....

Should Karsperus be interested in discussing the offer in detail, Rhistel would gladly meet him, and if in the meantime the Namer was also interested in more... "mundane" tasks, apparently he could even provide him with a little assignment.
*Serena

Posted by *Serena »

Just as expected, the cycle following his meeting with Rhistel, Blake would receive the promised document: a simple and clear contract outlining the discussed matter about the privileges on the purchase of Entrope carcass, should one be successfully hunted. It only needs to be signed by both parties.

A brief note follows it
wrote:
Mr Blake,
if the contract is acceptable, please come by my office to collect the agreed payment.

Also, on the matter of the extraction, should the expedition be successful, I thought about it and I decided it is in my best interest to make sure the specimen is securely transported: I will take care of it myself for no additional fees, so you can focus on the hunt and not worry about logistic.

R.A.
*Trigonometry

Posted by *Trigonometry »

There are a few cycles without any response, or news, of Blake. He hadn't shown his face in the Hall of Records, or Sigil for that matter, since the meeting had taken place. The few rumors that went around, were that Karsperus had been going around looking for sellswords, from the rumored Gatecrashers to the Planar Champions of the Blood War. Clearly, his business had brought him off Sigil.

Three cycles had passed, until there was finally word from the Namer. The Contract was returned signed, with a succinct note attached to it.
wrote:
I will come for my fee within the next turning.

K.B.
*edmaster44

Posted by *edmaster44 »

"Delivery for Rhistel..." A Creature was carted towards his office and dropped off with a note "The Namer Karsperus Blake brought you ...a delivery sir..." The cover and the creature was covered in ash and soot as well as the cart that it was reeled in, the carriers where coughing a bit by the Heavy Ash.
*Serena

Posted by *Serena »

The Factor had already put aside time ago any kind of doubt he might have had on the Namer's ability to get work done, so he wasn't extremely surprised to see the delivery arrive so soon.

Of course, he probably wasn't expecting the creature to be delivered -inside- his office, but it was clearly pointless to complain about that, so all he did was to put away any document before it could end up covered in dirt as well.
He covered his mouth with a scarf and went to take a brief look under the cover before addressing the carriers.

"Thank you, I'll take care of the rest myself"

As soon as the creature was positively identified, the full agreed payment would be delivered to Karsperus in platinum cogs. ((let me know when I can find you online for the actual trade))