Proposal For Additional Taxes

*deusex2

Posted by *deusex2 »

During my first tax collecting round, it has come to my attention that there are certain unexplored areas that may cost the city and, more importantly, us some significant loses. Not only do those unexplored areas of taxation jeopardize the city, but they also make a tax collector's job more difficult than it should be.

First and for most I'd like to turn your attention to the resent trend among the so-called adventurers, to seek for trouble inside city's sewage system. This might not seem like that much of a big deal, however when you consider the fact that every time someone enters the sewage system, we, The Fated, risk of losing a potential tax payer, along with all the future tax payments, it becomes a much greater problem. Not to mention that such loses are multiplied by dozens of berks entering the sewage system on a daily basis.

Further more, not only do we risk of losing tax payments, but we also risk jeopardizing city's infrastructure, by allowing an unrestricted access to the sewage system. after all, there is no telling what kind of riff-raff goes in there(we might even let terrorists roam unchecked, for all hat we know) and there is no telling what kind of damage those people might cause to he sewage system.

What's worse is that we can't expect Harmonium guards to patrol the sewers, nor can we control all the access points by locking those down with bars and the locks. Therefore, I'd like to propose a tax for improper use of public services, specifically sewage system. Five hundred jink per body for a starting fee with the possibility of increasing the toll, depandig on the frequency of visits to the sewers. The funds raised by the tax will go for the repairs of sewage system in case of emergency as well as to cover our loses, caused by the loses of taxpayers.

Next I'd like to bring your attention to another serious matter. While it may be not as grieve as the situation with the sewage system, it still requires attention. Once again, during my tax collecting rounds, I couldn't help but notice the staggering amount of people openly showing off their unsheathed weapons. Not only does this kind of behavior provokes civil unrest and puts a strain on Harmonium guards(who obviously can't handle it even now, as it is) but also causes any possible situation to escalate to bloodshed because of people's readiness and ease of access to their weapons.

And to make matters worse, there are plenty of spellcasters who's public spell casting makes even a Balor shy away in terror, not to mention the uneducated masses who outright panic and starts running away, which in turn causes even more panic and even more strain on Harmonium guards.

As such, I'd like to propose additional tax of two hundred and fifty jink for carrying unsheathed weapon(per weapon) in public places and a tax of four hundred jink per spell, casted within a public places.

Signed: Namer Rylif.

Rylif finishes writing down the proposal and hands it over to the clerk for a quick review and aproval for the further review by the faction's hierarchy.

(((OOC: now do they hate me? ^_^ |also, damn autocorrection)))
*Agony_Aunt

Posted by *Agony_Aunt »

The clerk takes a look and nods.

"Interesting proposal. However, the higher ups are rather busy folk you know. It may take them a while to get round to reading, and they have so much paperwork, it would be easy for it to get lost.

However... i could expidite things for you. Grease the wheels of bureacracy as it were..."

He leaves the sentence hanging while at the same time rubbing his forefinger and thumb together.
*deusex2

Posted by *deusex2 »

Seeing where the clerk is going, Rylif smiles with the most friendly looking smile he can fake,"Why yes, of course! How callous of me!" He than takes out his small purse and empties it on top of his letter, allowing coins and jewelry slide on top of it.

"Just make sure you're extra-expeditious with this," Rylif says while keeping his fake smile up."After all, the faster it gets approved, the faster we'll both get a reward..."
*Agony_Aunt

Posted by *Agony_Aunt »

The clerk smiles.

"Ah, yes, return tomorrow, i think i shall have a response for you."
*deusex2

Posted by *deusex2 »

Rylif stretches his fake smile wider as he hears clerk's words.

"Tomorrow it is, then," he says while raising his hat.

Rylif turns around and heads towards the exit and lets the fake smile fade away the moment he reaches the exit.
*Agony_Aunt

Posted by *Agony_Aunt »

When Rylif returns the next day, the clerk is smiling broadly at him.

"It appears those upstairs are interested in your proposals, although some are already covered by law. Unsheathed weapons and offensive spellcasting for example have long been prohibited in public places and we can already impose fines.

Spellcasting of a non-offensive nature we cannot touch unless it can be shown that it in some way breaks a law. The Guvners would whine too much if we started going down that road.

But your other points raise valid concerns and these seem like good ideas for taxation or fines.

We will see about getting these registered as official taxes and fines. Why not get out there in the city and test the waters so to speak.... see if you can grab some jink off some berks for breaking the new *cough* rules?"
*deusex2

Posted by *deusex2 »

Upon reading the letter Rylif's expression changes from anxious to somewhat disappointed. He than reads the letter a few more times, than takes out a small purse from his pouch and gives it to the clerk, as agreed earlier, tips his hat and walks towards the exit, to gather some more taxes.

*deusex2

Posted by *deusex2 »

Another busy day for Hall of Records and it's clerks. Everyone seem to be running circles through the hall, repeating the same routine. Some seem to be carrying stacks of documents back and forth, others seem to be working like press-machines, taking one document at a time to stamp it and to place it on a different stamp, only to be taken away by another clerk, who'd than bring in a new stack of documents.

Among all this running, a slow walking person appears. His slow and joyful manner of walking makes him stand out of the crowd and crimson-red feather on top of his hat makes him a center of everyone's attention, even if only for a brief moment, before everyone get engulfed by their menial chores.

Rylif stops briefly among the surrounding madness and after noticing a familiar face he heads towards the furthest clerk desk, to talk with a familiar clerk. Upon his arrival he puts a sheet of paper on clerk's desk and a small purse on top of the sheet.
After realizing he successfully caught the clerk's attention, Rylif smiled with one of his fake smiles and said

Good day to you, good sir! I realize you're terribly busy today, so I hope that the content of the bag is enough to compensate you for your precious time. Now if I have your attention, I require your assistance in passing my proposition along, to where it matters the most.

Upon examination Rylif's proposal reads as follows:

To highly esteemed leaders of the Fated.

After carefully examining Joke competition, during Carnival several days a go, it has come to my attention that a well-placed bad joke, could provoke severe violence as well as civil unrest.

Therefore, out of my purest concern over city's well-being, I'd like to propose a new form of tax:

The bad joke tax.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I've witness the possible devastation such a seemingly innocent thing can cause. Suffice to say that one of the spectators was a being with a powerful arcane powers and the being didn't took one of the jokes lightly. it was most fortunate for the jury and the participant that it was a greater storm of rotten tomatoes that was used, instead of storm of stones or magic missiles, for example. However fact remains-greater arcane power was provoked with a mere misplaced joke.

Further more, in addition to taxation of bad jokes(the quality of the joke can be determined by a simple check-weather or not the tax collector is laughing), I recommend to fine all faction related jokes, in order to prevent any cross-faction instigations or any possible faction warfare. As it is obvious that such jokes can be used by the terrorists to seed a divide within factions and to off-balance us by pitting one against another.

Also, thanks to the invaluable insight that I was provided with by an anonymus member of the Free League, I've learned of a popular practice, conducted by a smaller traders. A practice which allows them to avoid tax payments from the majority of their profits, by simply not keeping any logs nor ledgers.

Therefore I'd like to propose a severe fine for any trader without a detailed ledger. That way we can both enforce legal tax payments and recover some of the extensive losses.

Last, but not least, I realize that my previous proposal regarding public usage of magic is rejected. However after witnessing the events that transpired during Joke competition and realizing how easily such powerful forces were abused because they were taken for granted, I had to rethink my original idea and I came up with a compromise. Hopefully it will be enough to satisfy everyone and to assure city's safety and order.

I believe that any form of spellcasting withing public places must be taxed, or even require a license, if possible. With such measures in play citizens of Sigil will be constantly reminded of potential power at their disposal. Not only that, but Harmonium will be able to detect dangerous elements even better, thanks to our initiative. After all, it is highly unlikely that an Anarch or a Xaosite are willing to pay taxes, especially the powerful spellcastes.

Now with all that in mind, I'd like remind that this for of tax is to ensure peace, stability and to provide assistance to the law enforcement groups of our fair city. And as such, I believe that factions performing municipal or law enforcement duties for the city must be excluded from the tax. After all, a Harmonium officer is required to be on a stand-by even while he's asleep. The same can be said about Mercykillers, and as for Fraternity of The Order, members of this faction are too valuable and important for the entire city to risk their defenses and their lives over some tax.

signedNamer Rylif
*Agony_Aunt

Posted by *Agony_Aunt »

Rylif,

Im afraid you misunderstand, we are not particularly concerned about the safety or stability of the city, except as it relates to us. We are only concerned with what we can get. Please let us have no further talk like this, it is discomforting to hear it from a faction brother.

As for the spell casting, again, it has to be no. The Guvners would never support it. Most of their faction are casters of some kind.

And the bad joke initiative i do hope is a pun. It would be simply unenforceable.

Your zeal in this manner is appreciated, but i'm afraid you will have to come up with some alternate ideas.

Your friend

Clerk Alfred Carpenter

((-1 faction point for the peace and stability stuff, +2 for the continued efforts))
*deusex2

Posted by *deusex2 »

the next day a sealed letter is left at Alfred Carpenter's table. The letter has a letter R engraved on it's seal.

I'm afraid my caution got the better of me, which caused some unfortunate misunderstanding. Please allow me elaborate on some of the raised issues.

First of all, all this talk about safety and concern over citizens of Sigil is but a pretense. It most definitely not a true motif.

I must apologize for such a confusion, but one can never be too careful when there are so many extra hands involved. Not to mention that outright writing something like,"a tax to squeeze more jink out of berks," might cause a lot of negative reactions from all the sods and berks of Sigil, let alone Guvners.

I hope this short explanation erases any wrong expression, caused by my previous letter.

Now, I fully understand that joke tax might be not the best of my ideas and I'm fully accepting it's rejection. Allow me to assure you-you're not going to hear about it ever again.

However, regarding spell casting tax, I urge you to reconsider it, giving the circumstances presented earlier. Not the public safety crap, but to make an exception for Guvners.

That way they should have no complains whatsoever, and if those bookworms will keep nagging you about it, you can always make up a bollocks like, by accepting this tax we're creating an incentive for other berks to join their ranks. It's really possible to make them think of such tax as of a win-win situation.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies, for confusing you over my true intentions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(((OOC: the whole "for the good of all" gig was a sarcastic pretense, actually. I'm surprised it isn't obvious. Perhaps I should write down my char's biography, including his NE alignment, to avoid further misunderstandings :wacko:

and yeah-bad joke tax was actually a whispered joke from that contest )))