Research Documentation

*Dr_Shadelore

Posted by *Dr_Shadelore »

Engineering and the Morphic Nature of the Planes: Document F1: Minauros and the Arcane Energies of the Third Layer Of the Nine Hells. Submitted by R'ena K'yall'noss, Mechanus Monitor and Engineer

Technological Progression: the application of physically manufactured components systematically constructed to advance the capabilities of an individual or group utilizing natural materials refined in such a manner that the fabrication of objects not uncovered in the physical world naturally may be created. The assembly of manufactured components is only achievable by the hands of those who understand the machinations of the laws of dynamics, both spacial and time-related which has given capabilities beyond the reaches of the natural world as a pose to the wild nature of the Arcane which one studies to understand unlike Technology where one studies to comprehend, these two terms being polaric in meaning when concerning this research paper.

Engineering through the utilization of Technological advancements, calculated and advancing at a steady pace for the last several centuries, has provided an insight into the applications of said technology, most notably (To myself), when applied to Planar Travel. Through years of research and development the ability to traverse the most inhospitable planes has been achieved through the sole applications of technology, void of Arcane interventions which, inevitably, has led to the publication of these research notes and the attention to Planar Environmental Effects relating to the chaotic nature of magic being the focus of this paper. In relation to the planar location it is the third layer of the Nine Hells on the Outer Planes of the Planar cosmology I refer to: Minauros.

The Arcane, in itself, is wild. Minauros, being the decaying, fetid, inhospitable layer of the Nine Hells appears to be seeped in wild arcane energies that swell and ebb as the air about it, ever shifting and changing in a manner which cannot be utterly defined by law, contradictory to the 'lawful' nature of the Outer Plane itself. Yet the very atmosphere of Minauros appears to influence sentient beings who are exposed to the environment for extended periods of time, the nature of the plane 'altering' the individual to agree with the philosophical laws of the plane itself: Odd indeed. One cannot fully comprehend why or how this occurs, be it natural or otherwise categorized, it is an inevitable feature of this hellish realm. In my personal research, however, I have discovered that it is not merely sentience that is influenced by the atmosphere of Minauros, but innate objects also: Common knowledge.
Engineered, Manufactured: Not so Common.

Dedicating myself to the technological advancements and applications of Physical engineering void of the chaotic nature of magic has assured me the construction of a suit, similar to that found on Mechanus, which operates through the medium of Steam Power. Save the tedium of exploring all features of this 'Power Armour' I shall relate the feature which has adapted to the atmosphere of Minauros through increased exposure. The Suit of Power Armour converts toxic air into a breathable excretion called Oxygen through a process of cleansing by which the suit adopts Air Essences to purify the acrid atmosphere within a self-contained unit built into the very core of the construction. To do so the engineered Machinations store portions of the atmosphere for a period of time in order to convert it: Essentially Minauros is within the engineered Power Armour.

Prolonged exposure has corrupted the Power Armour, the magical nature of the atmosphere of Minauros seeping into the very core of the engineered suit. The result: The very alloy from which the construct is comprised has begun to assume the properties of Morguth-Iron, an alloy found only in the Nine Hells, evidence of the morphic nature of the atmosphere and it's impact upon fabricated structures. Additionally the excretions from the construct (Formerly steam or smoke) now pollute, the excretion taking on a sulphuric quality which corrupts the air surrounding it. Effects: Unknown. These are negative properties assumed by the engineered construct which emit an ominous green glow, seemingly harmless, yet arcane trials have indicated that there is a magical nature behind them.

Positive attributes: The engineered Construct formerly operated on an intricate series of power sources which, to anyone but myself, is unknown and shall remain thus. Yet, as the corruption appeared to seep into the thermo-dynamic nature of the construct, the source of energy adapted to that found on Minauros, feeding off decay and disease. Through no physical intervention the engineered construct adapted it's power input to accept the use of decayed matter which, by the very nature of law, seems almost impossible that deceased bio-matter could power an object of fabricated engineering.

To this end it is evident that the arcane energies stored within the very atmosphere of Minauros are, as the Layer of Hell itself is, tainted and the wild nature of the magics which comprise the air, by cause and effect of technological refinement of said atmosphere, set in motion a reaction which was not expected. Whilst the Axioms of alignment are a disputed philosophical topic which may appear unrelated to this particular piece of work one cannot disagree that evil certainly operates in Minauros and, as such, one would assume that evil would corrupt: Uncertain though the evidence, which is open to review by any scholar, is seemingly undisputed.

Conclusion: Concerning evidence towards the Morphic Arcane nature of Minauros when applied to technological engineering the results are unexpected and, whilst answers have been offered, the questions that remain outweigh the desire for closure on this subject for what of the Arcane Nature of other planes and their Morphic nature? Do these same rules apply in other planes? This paper, offered as a research guidance for any interested in the subject, are but the epilogue to further research which, as the writer, I have begun to fund to answer these fundamental questions so we might further advance our understanding of the Laws of the multiverse and of existence itself.
*Zasziel

Posted by *Zasziel »

(( OOC: Thanks for that great article! I whish we could find more topics like this, related to the Bureau of Research, on the forum. I should definitely write one, some day 😁 ))